Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've seen a lot...of old people...who write like...this... presumably because they...only recently began using...the internet...and hadn't written or read anything...since leaving school... decades ago... and just don't know... how anything works...

Apparently, to an oldie, normal sentences are too official looking and the ellipses are an attempt to convey a more relaxed tone. A younger person would probably use a exclamation point to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I could sing you into a bog.

Which is very powerful magic but is somewhat hampered by its reliance of a bog being there.
haha I'm in a desert so suuuuuuuuck iiiiiit

🖕😎🖕

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Chiming in late to the ADD/ADHD discussion but as someone who was diagnosed as a kid with severe ADHD, be forewarned that while medication can manage symptoms, for the majority of us it is not going to ever go away. For better or for worse, this is who you are. You have to learn to cope with it, but also how to try and direct it to your advantage- for example, if I realize on a particular day that I'm successfully hyperfocusing on something, I will drop nearly everything to make sure that train of thought and productivity is not interrupted. Obviously not every job or topic or schedule is conducive to that, but if you can make it work then that one day of hard work can make up for a week of distractions and idling.

I've noticed that my writing style tends to include a lot of run-on sentences and interjections in parentheses (because it reflects the sporadic and tangential nature of my thinking, i.e. "I gotta get this thought down before I forget about it") and it takes quite a while to try and train that instinct out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
+2 on it doesn't change YOU. They just change the way chemicals affect you, including the ones that gently caress you up "in a society."

+3 on using hyperfocus for good; just be aware of your time limits. Putting automatic setting atomic (radio) clocks EVERYWHERE in the house helped me keep track of time.

You gotta do the whole thing and I am very lucky to have a support network in my wife and friends.

Things were worse barely getting by in my twenties, but my mom taught me to loving write so I bullshitted and tested my way into something resembling success; thing was sometimes it does suck to know that perhaps stigma and denial kept me from getting medication, to treat a condition that causes me to act impulsively, which got me in trouble at school...

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 03:43 on May 17, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Luneshot posted:

I've noticed that my writing style tends to include a lot of run-on sentences and interjections in parentheses (because it reflects the sporadic and tangential nature of my thinking, i.e. "I gotta get this thought down before I forget about it") and it takes quite a while to try and train that instinct out.

Ugh I do this so bad.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Wasabi the J posted:

+2 on it doesn't change YOU. They just change the way chemicals affect you, including the ones that gently caress you up "in a society."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Luneshot posted:

yo

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I was also diagnosed with ADHD as an adult and was a "smart kid" who failed in school a lot.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Luneshot posted:

obligatory dragging this back out from the adhd thread in e/n

https://twitter.com/GeraintWorks/status/1383745091114717194

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I graduated from college people told me there was no future in the Humanities, but fortunately for me nobody knows how to write anymore so if you're a halfway decent editor you can make a good career out of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Turpitude II posted:

Hmmm that first picture is precisely my writing style and I'm choosing to attach no significance to that. I can edit myself to sound like anyone though

exquisite tea posted:

When I graduated from college people told me there was no future in the Humanities, but fortunately for me nobody knows how to write anymore so if you're a halfway decent editor you can make a good career out of it.

Are you sure they weren't saying there's No Future For Humanity?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

exquisite tea posted:

The sheer amount of piss-poor copy I see come across my desk by "professionals" is staggering.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I didn't know that WWE has a Universal title now, can't wait for the matches against Martians or Klingons orbiting Uranus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Turpitude II posted:

Holy poo poo. I am 100% seen.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think I just figured out that in American football a "pick six" is a pass interception resulting in a touchdown.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Cutting corners" refers to literally going around a corner (maybe in races?) and cutting across the corner rather than following the path.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo. I am 100% seen.

*Checks my entire post history*

...aw beans.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think I just figured out that in American football a "pick six" is a pass interception resulting in a touchdown.

If your "I think" is because you aren't sure you're correct, I can confirm you are. "Pick" is a synonym for an interception, and the "six" is for the touchdown portion.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You pick up six points when you make a touchdown. I'm a huge football fan and didn't figure that out until I saw a pick 2 happen in 2016.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

rydiafan posted:

If your "I think" is because you aren't sure you're correct, I can confirm you are. "Pick" is a synonym for an interception, and the "six" is for the touchdown portion.

That and I had that bad feeling of "drat I might have already posted this before". I get that feeling nearly every time I post in this thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shifty Nipples posted:

That and I had that bad feeling of "drat I might have already posted this before". I get that feeling nearly every time I post in this thread.

Check out page 173

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

Check out page 173

:???:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What is Finn may never die

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And thus, Finland cannot be real. Q.E.D.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

"Pick six" sounds like a way to bet on one of those lottery games where they draw several numbered ping pong balls for the winning numbers.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

"Pick six" sounds like a way to bet on one of those lottery games where they draw several numbered ping pong balls for the winning numbers.

It is, in several states.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This would probably be best served in a "misheard lyrics" thread. But I just figured out what it is supposed to be, so it technically fits here too.

For the longest time, I thought the words to Billy Joel's Piano Man included the phrase "And the piano sounds like a carnivore..."

It never made proper sense to me, and I justified it as in he had been playing so long that it all mashed together in a dull roar, much like a lion or tiger would give.

But I recently figured out that the words are actually "And the piano sounds like a carnival" Which makes so much more sense.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Once again, I regret to inform you that "the number six" in Finnish is not "kuusi", it's "kuutonen". (Stuff I just realized because I haven't really thought about it before: it seems to be the diminutive form of "kuusi". The same is true for all numerals up to six. The words for the numbers eight and nine are... weird, and seven is just seven for some loving reason.)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

But I recently figured out that the words are actually "And the piano sounds like a carnival" Which makes so much more sense.

I always thought carnival was a lazy metaphor. Like you could have a piano/music at a carnival, it's just like saying the piano sounds like another piano.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Annabel Pee posted:

I always thought carnival was a lazy metaphor. Like you could have a piano/music at a carnival, it's just like saying the piano sounds like another piano.

I love Billy but the song has some questionable imagery - "making love to his tonic and gin" is just a disgusting concept and noone has ever called a G&T a T&G.

There is this interpretation tho

https://twitter.com/diannaeanderson/status/1331661306487685120?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think the gin would burn your piss-hole

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think the gin would burn your piss-hole

It was always burning since the world's been turning

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I always figured it was that old-timey usage of "making love", from when it didn't mean "loving".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I always figured it was that old-timey usage of "making love", from when it didn't mean "loving".

Stuff like '"I saw Deborah and captain Brentley making love in the kitchen!", Somes ejaculated.' always gets a giggle out of me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hyperlynx posted:

similarly, later in the song he says "as a businessman slowly gets stoned", and means it in the antiquated sense of "drunk", the dude's not smoking weed with a waitress

(nixon made a joke juxtaposing the two definitions in public once to reporters but I cannot find the quote right now - that's right about when the turning point was where it fell out of use, too)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Bread doesn't mean money; the guy was just being a huge rear end in a top hat

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

For the longest time, I thought the words to Billy Joel's Piano Man included the phrase "And the piano sounds like a carnivore..."

Did you think the next line was "And the microphone smells like a bear"?

EDIT: This works for the gay bar interpretation as well.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Once again, I regret to inform you that "the number six" in Finnish is not "kuusi", it's "kuutonen". (Stuff I just realized because I haven't really thought about it before: it seems to be the diminutive form of "kuusi". The same is true for all numerals up to six. The words for the numbers eight and nine are... weird, and seven is just seven for some loving reason.)

So, if I were to ask a Finn "how many were there?"and the Finn answered "kuutonen". I know there were anywhere between 1 and 6?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

gleebster posted:

So, if I were to ask a Finn "how many were there?"and the Finn answered "kuutonen". I know there were anywhere between 1 and 6?
I think he means that the words for each of the numbers from 1 through 6 are the diminutives for each of those numbers. Like if English generally counted "onesie, twosie, threesie..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Hirayuki posted:

I think he means that the words for each of the numbers from 1 through 6 are the diminutives for each of those numbers. Like if English generally counted "onesie, twosie, threesie..."

Stop trying to make the Finnish language make sense.