Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Dude I die to Barroth all the time. He has one trick but that trick does 3/4 of your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I know multiplayer hunts are always more unpredictable, but as a solid melee player, nothing annoys me more than bowgun users who force me to chase down the monster and make it way more difficult to figure out the monster's movements.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know how likely we are to get balance adjustments in the next patch, but I hope they take a look at some of the weaker switch skills and mechanics like HBG charge shots, super charged shells, and hunting edge. Granted there's not much that can be done to help that last one since adamant charged slash is ridiculously good, but they could at least push it into not a waste of time and bugs by giving it hyper armor and only costing 1 bug. All that being said, I still think overall they've done a good job of making most of them real choices.

Sadly the ship has probably sailed on doing anything about crit meta.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I use hunting edge over ACS because the added verticality means I might coast over a tail swipe or maybe the dumb flying mon doesn't want to come down. It's also handy for those back breaks vs Rathian/Rathalos.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, aforementioned Sword and Shield set does me a big frustrate in MP because bowgun is so prevalent that I'm chasing things down.

I should probably just start hunting solo for more challenge anyway. I've gotten to a point with LBG that nothing is really dangerous, it's just about how lazy I get.

Can't wait for new mons though. Honest to God I can't believe I'm still playing this. Most games I bounce off of after 20ish hours or if I really like it 40. I'm probably putting an unhealthy 160 so far into this

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, aforementioned Sword and Shield set does me a big frustrate in MP because bowgun is so prevalent that I'm chasing things down.

I should probably just start hunting solo for more challenge anyway. I've gotten to a point with LBG that nothing is really dangerous, it's just about how lazy I get.

Can't wait for new mons though. Honest to God I can't believe I'm still playing this. Most games I bounce off of after 20ish hours or if I really like it 40. I'm probably putting an unhealthy 160 so far into this

Seriously 4/5 multiplayer hunts I end up on having at least 2 people using LBG, sometimes all 3, and here I am with my IG or Gunlance looking like I've got a dick growing on my face.

I mean it's cool since the hunts go pretty smoothly but it definitely feels very weird to be the only one fighting the monster

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Goddamn did I have trouble going through the MHGU diablos. He's a gatekeeper to G-Rank and I'm pretty sure it was the first time I faced him. I struggle sometimes against him even in Rise/World, but my weapons bouncing off his head and the damage that he did to me made him a tough fight. Managed in the end, though.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Just saw a DB user quadruple-cart to Apex Arzuros on the event quest (I took the insurance dango). I was curious how they could be so bad, or at the very least so willfully reckless, and checked their time played, and it's somehow over 80 hours. Just, how

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

404notfound posted:

Just saw a DB user quadruple-cart to Apex Arzuros on the event quest (I took the insurance dango). I was curious how they could be so bad, or at the very least so willfully reckless, and checked their time played, and it's somehow over 80 hours. Just, how
There's no time for evading, gotta mash those buttons.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

404notfound posted:

Not that it excuses them, but apex bear loving SUCKS as DB. Every attack is basically a claw swipe that will connect with anything in front or to his sides. And given his smaller size that’s pretty much over half of his radius so as a DB you’re going to get hit constantly unless you perfectly time your flights or back off while dodge is on cool down.

Apex Bear is officially in the same club as Diablos and Barroth. That club is called “gently caress you, enjoy stickies”

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apex bear can gently caress you up if you don't know his moves, which who does before fighting it because you fight regular arzuros like once and it's a pushover so why would you learn any of its moves. The running lariat that seems to automatically stun you if it its got me a few times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

I don't know how likely we are to get balance adjustments in the next patch, but I hope they take a look at some of the weaker switch skills and mechanics like HBG charge shots, super charged shells, and hunting edge. Granted there's not much that can be done to help that last one since adamant charged slash is ridiculously good, but they could at least push it into not a waste of time and bugs by giving it hyper armor and only costing 1 bug. All that being said, I still think overall they've done a good job of making most of them real choices.

Sadly the ship has probably sailed on doing anything about crit meta.

hunting edge owns

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

In Training posted:

hunting edge owns

:hmmno:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm ok with pub carts or failed quests - I do my fair share of stupid poo poo. But now I'm seeing folks doing weird poo poo like the two who jumped into my odo/deviljho arena. Didn't see them fighting and looking around shows them busy loading the cannons on the sides. One writes up their sympathy for Odo being abused by Jho. No help at all until the 4th person, a GS, arrives.

Predictably they shared 3 carts between the two of them once Jho jumped up there. Odo sympathizer even wrote up how they were out of healing which is why they carted.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Oh I found the secret 3rd hit to spiral thrust yall were talking about. Doesn't help that it's called leaping thrust but is a single big hit unlike the other multi-hit finished to guard dash of the same name. As far as I can tell that got can only be performed off the end of spiral thrust? I love poo poo like this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Complain about people carting is funny...like why join hunts if you need the help from cute little carting noobs? Just do it by yourself, if you're king poo poo of never cart mountain. The only reason to join hunts otherwise is to help other players with your god tier builds/skills and why care about carts in that case...you failed at protecting the noobs...perhaps it is you that is the frustrated noob you doth protest about and thus should turn your monitor on.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Almudron is a tedious rear end in a top hat and I wish for it to be eternally murdered by LBG execution squads.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I did my first online triple cart yesterday to an Anjanath after about 200h of play. It’s not like you can’t have a bad day sometimes. The second cart was BS though.

It’s also worth noting that monster damage multiplies with more players, so sometimes you can’t survive a bad hit that you might otherwise live through in solo play.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if you cart, just go back to fortnite creative mode. this aint the game for you, kid. you need Skill, Perseverace, &Intutiotion.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Spectral Werewolf posted:

It’s also worth noting that monster damage multiplies with more players, so sometimes you can’t survive a bad hit that you might otherwise live through in solo play.

I was under the impression that this isn't the case. :confused: To my knowledge, the only thing that scales with multiplayer is monster HP and part break/status thresholds.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I get carted with the rest and said as much. Everyone gets caught and juggled like a pro. But some pubs just run up on the target with a quarter health and hack away with no regard for a monster's move set. If you had time to close the distance, you had time to increase the distance and use a potion. I'm looking at you, sword and shield players. Maybe there's some edgy Resentment build I'm not aware of.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

smallmouth posted:

I get carted with the rest and said as much. Everyone gets caught and juggled like a pro. But some pubs just run up on the target with a quarter health and hack away with no regard for a monster's move set. If you had time to close the distance, you had time to increase the distance and use a potion. I'm looking at you, sword and shield players. Maybe there's some edgy Resentment build I'm not aware of.

This. I wasn't frustrated at carts, because good lord have I contributed some carts. But yeah this was some dude getting knocked around and then charging straight in without potioning and then getting laid out because he had a sliver of health. 3 freaking times.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For a while I had turned off team health bars because it was too stressful seeing people not heal after a hit.

I chug potions all the loving time. Doing a wirebug recovery and slamming a drink takes literally no effort. Speaking of healing does stuff like medicine up (or is it recovery) increase the potency of hunting horn healing songs? I’m looking for ways to further optimize my HH loadout for carrying pubbies.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For a while I had turned off team health bars because it was too stressful seeing people not heal after a hit.

I chug potions all the loving time. Doing a wirebug recovery and slamming a drink takes literally no effort. Speaking of healing does stuff like medicine up (or is it recovery) increase the potency of hunting horn healing songs? I’m looking for ways to further optimize my HH loadout for carrying pubbies.

Recovery up will increase your personal healing from your own hunting horn songs but not the healing other players receive.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Silver Falcon posted:

I was under the impression that this isn't the case. :confused: To my knowledge, the only thing that scales with multiplayer is monster HP and part break/status thresholds.

I must be confusing it with something else. I thought the damage scaled a little bit, but that appears not to be the case.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
This is why lifepowders are essential for multiplayer, even the minimum 3 and nothing else can singlehandedly save a run.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Perestroika posted:

Almudron is a tedious rear end in a top hat and I wish for it to be eternally murdered by LBG execution squads.

My Almudron body count is around 20 and I need to add more to it. Glad to be doing my part.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Perestroika posted:

I did both an Almudron and a Bezel last night where it was four LBGs and it was hilariously broken. Almudron just got clowned as we seemingly took turns stickying its face. The tail fell off in a matter of seconds from slicing spam.

Bezel was even better. I brought my rapid fire slicing and was just constantly doing 35-40 per tick slicing on rapid fire to him.

I've noticed slicing is a lot more effective on Elders and Bezel. It looks like they reduced the bullet damage they take by a ton, but since slicing ammo is, well, slicing damage, it avoids that.

What I'm saying is make a Zinogre gun/set. It's amazing.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I was doing one of the three 7* HR monster quests last night and accidentally closed the game (Home Button > press Y or whatever and then confirm instead of A to re-enter the game) after the last monster was limping, like 25 minutes in :saddowns:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I've sunk a lot of time into this game and I find myself bothered by a small thing that's actually turning me off more than i thought it would; a lack of investigations. Not that i need the extra materials, but quests having a static location makes them feel pretty stale.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Haiku posted:

I've sunk a lot of time into this game and I find myself bothered by a small thing that's actually turning me off more than i thought it would; a lack of investigations. Not that i need the extra materials, but quests having a static location makes them feel pretty stale.

I agree that this is probably what made Rise a 160-hour game for me rather than the 300-hour ride I took on World. You get to the point where turning over a quest to spin the talisman wheel is the only reason you need (not just want) to go kill something. And stomping apex Azuros takes 10 minutes, but arena suiciding to Rajang takes 30 seconds.

Anyway, the talisman system is still a thousand times better than World's deco system, and if it results in a game that has it's carrot on a stick run out at 150+ hours rather than 300+, for most of the people who are going to play it that's certainly the right design call. It would be nice to have a randomizer button that actually randomized locations and "kill 2s" as well, but that's probably a fair bit more trouble than it's worth.

Plus there's a patch (hopefully) this week worth another 10 to 40 hours.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 24, 2021

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I did both an Almudron and a Bezel last night where it was four LBGs and it was hilariously broken. Almudron just got clowned as we seemingly took turns stickying its face. The tail fell off in a matter of seconds from slicing spam.

Bezel was even better. I brought my rapid fire slicing and was just constantly doing 35-40 per tick slicing on rapid fire to him.

I've noticed slicing is a lot more effective on Elders and Bezel. It looks like they reduced the bullet damage they take by a ton, but since slicing ammo is, well, slicing damage, it avoids that.

What I'm saying is make a Zinogre gun/set. It's amazing.

What does the set look like for slicing shot? Rapid Fire Up and Spare shot?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea how much work goes into putting a monster in a zone. Like, is the behavior stuff highly scripted, and putting a monster into four zones is actually four times as much work as putting it into one? And that's why arena quests are like they are, because the baseline behavior does pretty well in "big flat circle" but otherwise is a million hours of bug squashing in a proper map.

Or are the monsters smart enough on the back end that you can more or less let them roam free, maybe locking them to the half of the map they interact with most comfortably, then just giving them access to the secret tunnels between zones players don't have access to?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Huxley posted:

I agree that this is probably what made Rise a 160-hour game for me rather than the 300-hour ride I took on World. You get to the point where turning over a quest to spin the talisman wheel is the only reason you need (not just want) to go kill something. And stomping apex Azuros takes 10 minutes, but arena suiciding to Rajang takes 30 seconds.

Anyway, the talisman system is still a thousand times better than World's deco system, and if it results in a game that has it's carrot on a stick run out at 150+ hours rather than 300+, for most of the people who are going to play it that's certainly the right design call. It would be nice to have a randomizer button that actually randomized locations and "kill 2s" as well, but that's probably a fair bit more trouble than it's worth.

Plus there's a patch (hopefully) this week worth another 10 to 40 hours.

Yeah the only thing I still need is more Outfit Vouchers, for fashion, so I'm taking a break from the game until the next patch.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of the grind, G-rank 'Peco (who may or may not be known to the thread, but they are lance famous for lancing to HR999 in every game) made it this weekend.

https://twitter.com/GRankQurupeco/status/1396522938300440579

500 hours, 1447 quests, 1073 Rampages (including 1004 Apex Diablos).

Notably, we now have this info:

https://twitter.com/GRankQurupeco/status/1396838424250826753

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Huxley posted:

I have no idea how much work goes into putting a monster in a zone. Like, is the behavior stuff highly scripted, and putting a monster into four zones is actually four times as much work as putting it into one? And that's why arena quests are like they are, because the baseline behavior does pretty well in "big flat circle" but otherwise is a million hours of bug squashing in a proper map.

Or are the monsters smart enough on the back end that you can more or less let them roam free, maybe locking them to the half of the map they interact with most comfortably, then just giving them access to the secret tunnels between zones players don't have access to?

Yeah there is at least some bug testing and AI programming involved with putting monsters in new zones. I learned this when playing launch Iceborne and realized that the gold and silver raths fight in exactly one room in one map outside of the guiding lands. There was a bug they quickly patched where you could trick the silver rath out of the Nergigante nest area with the diversion mantle (forget what it's actually called) and it would just stand still and roar over and over again until the 50 minutes were up, like an AI failsafe

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

In Training posted:

it would just stand still and roar over and over again

I do this too when I’m scared

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

What does the set look like for slicing shot? Rapid Fire Up and Spare shot?

The build I used

That's what I went with and then built in extra goodies with talismans. I'm sure a more optimal setup exists, but that's working for me and absolutely owning on the new mons.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

Saxophone posted:

The build I used

That's what I went with and then built in extra goodies with talismans. I'm sure a more optimal setup exists, but that's working for me and absolutely owning on the new mons.

This looks awesome. Gonna finish my zinogre BowGun tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

This looks awesome. Gonna finish my zinogre BowGun tonight.

When you're done, immediately take it to a Bazel hunt, MP or otherwise and just laugh as you're pumping out dumb damage.

It also comes with stickies, para, and exhaust, so you can usually get at least one of each during a given hunt for even more damage. Plus it has thunder piercing rounds which work well on Daora and others.

Magna LBG is my broken swiss army knife, but I'm starting to find guns for other things and are super fun. I'm putting together the ice gun and the fire dot gun sets next. After that I'm gonna play with Anja explodey goodness.