Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ElMaligno posted:

A size 54 Renegade S3, im picking it up tomorrow.
Very nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i wish my renegade was that color

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Anyone got experience doing drop bars on a karate monkey?

I'm trying to figure out how I want to set up the cockpit on mine when the drat things go back to being available 5/19ish.

It's either that or some alt bars. Probably a decent amount of flare but more upright.

Any personal stories of bars you hated or ended up throwing out?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
So I was out graveling in South OC yesterday, when I saw an animal that I had never seen before. Golden fur, some white markings on the face and black tipped ears. The thing was about a foot long and low to the ground. It was some sort of ferret, stoat or weasel. I assumed that it was an invasive of some sort. But as it turns out, there is an animal called a Western Weasel that is native to most of coastal SoCal.

This thing did not look quite like the pictures that came up in Google search, but I don't think it could be anything other than a weasel. I was riding in the San Juan Hills area behind San Juan Capistrano. Have any of my fellow OC gravelers encountered one?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
If it looked at you and said "Heeeeey buuuuuuddy" it wasn't just A weasel, but THE Weasel.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm trying to figure out how I want to set up the cockpit on mine when the drat things go back to being available 5/19ish.

It's either that or some alt bars. Probably a decent amount of flare but more upright.

I've done drop bars on MTB frames that were the right size for me with flat bars, and I'd say while you can shorten the stem to get the reach right, it's probably better to do close to a normal stem length and size down or make sure the frame is close to your road frame sizing. I was riding 70-80mm stems and still a bit stretched out, but even shorter and the handling wasn't normal enough.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got the bike I wanted, taking it to the shop tomorrow to do some fitting. Other than that i love this thing.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Got the bike I wanted, taking it to the shop tomorrow to do some fitting. Other than that i love this thing.

Yo, your bike real good, and I hope you get an immensity of enjoyment from riding it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Went on a 10 mile ride and did some circles on a gravel just so i can get accustomed to it.

My legs hurt

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Congrats on the rad bike!

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
I rode around Orcas Island. Some road, some fire road, some singletrack. Wasn't sure if I should bring my gravel bike or full suspension; I missed out on some prime singletrack but also picked up some sweet road segments. I felt limited on certain singletrack sections where I thought I might slice my tires through a rock garden or navigating switchbacks with any exposure- this feels super hard on drops. My perfect bike is probably flat bars and 48mm renee herse knobbies on the stigmata :)

Orcas is beautiful, the camping is very good, but they close down most of the trails to bikes in peak season, May 15-Sept 15. One of the best kept secrets is that September 15th to October 15th is probably the best riding in the PNW, though (as long as there is no smoke).

Here's a smattering of pictures.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
spent three hours touching gravel and bad pavement around saluda, indiana looking for mennonites

it’d been a while

always wave at the combine drivers so they don’t try and run you off the road next time around

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dreadite posted:

I rode around Orcas Island. Some road, some fire road, some singletrack. Wasn't sure if I should bring my gravel bike or full suspension; I missed out on some prime singletrack but also picked up some sweet road segments. I felt limited on certain singletrack sections where I thought I might slice my tires through a rock garden or navigating switchbacks with any exposure- this feels super hard on drops. My perfect bike is probably flat bars and 48mm renee herse knobbies on the stigmata :)

Orcas is beautiful, the camping is very good, but they close down most of the trails to bikes in peak season, May 15-Sept 15. One of the best kept secrets is that September 15th to October 15th is probably the best riding in the PNW, though (as long as there is no smoke).

Hot drat! I’ve ridden my road bike around San Juan and Lopez island when I visited my uncle there, but didn’t make it to Orcas. Gotta go back now that I have a full range of bikes

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Dreadite posted:

Big Mt Tam vibes from those pictures (though Orcas has wayyyyyyyyy better single track)

also apparently you just have to go ride in the spring (you mentioning it just made me think of this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siODHplSI34

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Levitate posted:

Big Mt Tam vibes from those pictures (though Orcas has wayyyyyyyyy better single track)

also apparently you just have to go ride in the spring (you mentioning it just made me think of this video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siODHplSI34

that video is painfully gorgeous, really does the job of giving me FOMO (and I was just on the island for several days)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Actually rode gravel this weekend for the first time in quite a while, it’s v good.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
I guess I'm just gonna start contributing to this thread lol

rode the ~19 miles/2k feet from rattlesnake lake to snoqualmie pass on the iron horse trail with my hobo friend. 19 miles of climbing at a steady grade, then 19 miles of straight descending

surprisingly enjoyable for an old rail trail

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dreadite posted:

rode the ~19 miles/2k feet from rattlesnake lake to snoqualmie pass

Did you 'that guy' the ride by using Snoqualmie Pass tires?

[fake edit] oh zoomed in to see Switchback Hill.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I am definitely doing that iron horse trail this summer

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've ridden on both the east and west sides of the pass on the Iron Horse trail, but I want to do the full century ride from Rattlesnake Lake to Cle Elum and back soon. I've never ridden a gravel century before and I think it'd be a pretty good one to start with.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Finally got my GRX crank and derailleurs. The rear handles my 42 cassette even though it's only rated for 36, so no more need for the wolftooth. Still can't do big-big with my chain, but I'm gonna try a few more links and hope it's not too long for small-small.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

So I was out graveling in South OC yesterday, when I saw an animal that I had never seen before. Golden fur, some white markings on the face and black tipped ears. The thing was about a foot long and low to the ground. It was some sort of ferret, stoat or weasel. I assumed that it was an invasive of some sort. But as it turns out, there is an animal called a Western Weasel that is native to most of coastal SoCal.

This thing did not look quite like the pictures that came up in Google search, but I don't think it could be anything other than a weasel. I was riding in the San Juan Hills area behind San Juan Capistrano. Have any of my fellow OC gravelers encountered one?

I usually only see roadrunners and quail. Watch out for this guy though -

https://cbsloc.al/3omya1I

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

I've ridden on both the east and west sides of the pass on the Iron Horse trail, but I want to do the full century ride from Rattlesnake Lake to Cle Elum and back soon. I've never ridden a gravel century before and I think it'd be a pretty good one to start with.

I'd be down to join if you want.

Is the PtC/Iron Horse the most popular goontrail?

:allears:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
casual evening gravel the other day

weird lookin kitties from yesterday

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
some nice looking gravel there

I should have taken some pictures this morning it was actually sunny and not foggy for once

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone doing this?

https://www.hardmanraceseries.com/

I've done sections of this, seems insane.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I've been getting emails about that and looks like this is happening in October, so plenty of time to think about it. I haven't done any of the dirt portions in that particular range but Chino Hills State Park is decent fun on a gravel bike.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah I've done some of the dirt sections more than a few times, and late summer like that the ground is best described as moon dust - especially some of the fire roads that are open to vehicle traffic. You need a lot of grip for that, but the route is mostly pavement. Finding a tire that's going to be efficient on the road and grips enough for the sand and dust is a challenge in itself.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 19, 2021

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Just FYI, the Giro d’Italia is on a bunch of Tuscan gravel today.

Go to Cycling Today or Tizcycling for streams.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, personally, I'm not very fond of Socal "gravel". Maybe because I haven't figured out the right tire choice and don't really feel informed on tread type. Wanting real knobs seems right for the loose dirt in Socal but then they suck on pavement. So the best compromise seems like just slapping on the biggest slicks that you can fit on your gravel bike, to absorb all of the rock hits and terrain while babying your bike down descents, so you can keep going fast on pavement.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Dreadite posted:

I guess I'm just gonna start contributing to this thread lol

rode the ~19 miles/2k feet from rattlesnake lake to snoqualmie pass on the iron horse trail with my hobo friend. 19 miles of climbing at a steady grade, then 19 miles of straight descending

surprisingly enjoyable for an old rail trail

Did that a few years ago, in Portland now, but I've been wanting to do it again, probably will in the next few months.

Edit:

BraveUlysses posted:

I am definitely doing that iron horse trail this summer

Let me know if you want company (fully vaccinated).

edit 2:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'd be down to join if you want.

also down, let me know

forhorglingrads fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 20, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
grav grav :hmmyes:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
is it possible/easy to flip the brake controls on hoods? i prefer having them setup moto style as i do on my mtb, right hand controls front brake. shifters are Shimano GRX RX-600

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes, you can just disconnect the hoses from the levers and switch them around and then bleed the brakes. If you don’t have hydraulic brakes you can just switch around the cables.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

With Shimano you might have the easy joint system, and you might be able to switch them without bleeding but you should still bleed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfRWMPMGFW8

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depending on how the hoses are routed now you might need to adjust the hose length though.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

FogHelmut posted:

With Shimano you might have the easy joint system, and you might be able to switch them without bleeding but you should still bleed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfRWMPMGFW8

drat now i wish i had this, even though it'd only ever be used once lol

ok i'll poke around at them i guess, sucks i'd have to undo the bar wraps to get at the cables

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Razzled posted:

ok i'll poke around at them i guess, sucks i'd have to undo the bar wraps to get at the cables

Have some bar tape on hand just in case the stuff you have on there doesn't wrap back up well.
Also, make sure your current setup isn't so tight that making the cuts to swap hoses doesn't bind up your steering.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I went to some swept salsa bars on my xc hardtail, then realized I tend to get into more aggressive situations on my xc hardtail than swept bars comfortably allow for, and any situation where more comfy bars would be really warranted I should just ride my drop bar bike

now im back to running wide enduro risers fwiw

solution is n+1

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Nothing special but I finally got to take the Scott Speedster on the trail after weeks of rain and wind lifted. Did a nice 30km. Really easy bike to cycle. Although I do find it to be very bumpy compared to my last Scott which has thicker frame and bigger tyres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Dreadite posted:

I went to some swept salsa bars on my xc hardtail, then realized I tend to get into more aggressive situations on my xc hardtail than swept bars comfortably allow for, and any situation where more comfy bars would be really warranted I should just ride my drop bar bike

now im back to running wide enduro risers fwiw

solution is n+1

Doesn't matter, the build has been delayed through Aug. My event will be in late June. :argh: