Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

It's fun to buy things though.

In this case, he's just getting a smartwatch - even if cycling isn't for him, there are a million other uses for which a fitness tracking watch will be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You either enjoy cycling or you don't. If you think you need to spend money before you enjoy cycling, you don't enjoy it.

I agree with this and my intent to purchase a watch is driven by the fact that I am obsessive by nature. I like being able to nerd out and track stuff. Helps me with keeping disciplined

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I agree with this and my intent to purchase a watch is driven by the fact that I am obsessive by nature. I like being able to nerd out and track stuff. Helps me with keeping disciplined

Look for something with 8+ hours battery time, my wife and I did a century ride last year that's lost forever because my computer took a ride off my handlebars and her Apple Watch died after six hours.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Cycling also doesn't have to be really long distances, or really fast, or on pavement, or dirt, or a mountain, or any surface someone else says is best. If you like riding real fast and real long on dirt roads or highways or whatever, that's cool. If you like riding to work or around the neighborhood however fast you feel, that's cool too. If you like goofing off on a parking lot trying to do tricks, that's cool too. Do whatever bike thing is fun for you, all of it is cool and good.

If none of the bike things trip your trigger, that's fine too. Most people in this thread already know they like bikes and talk about it as though it's a normal accepted thing, but not everyone enjoys it and throwing money at it won't change that. On the other hand, if a fitness watch gets you the motivation/metrics for motivation that keep you at it, that's great. You know yourself better than I do.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You either enjoy cycling or you don't. If you think you need to spend money before you enjoy cycling, you don't enjoy it.

I find the things I buy make my experiences better, at least that tends to be the goal. Hills? Ebike. Not being sure where I am? GPS. Wanting to know when people are behind me? Mirror/radar. Too hot? Lights/reflective tape etc. so I feel visible enough to ride in the dark. Don't want to deal with grease? Belt drive.

Besides if the goal is exercise it only needs to be the least unpleasant option.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Still cycling slowly and painfully as a fat guy. I like it. It hurts so good but not at all in my legs. Definitely a case of my cardio being crap but legs are strong. Pushing a mile at a time though so that's good.
Did some cycling indoors and Holy Hell what a difference that makes. 4 miles in sub 13 minutes?? No problem
Try even 3 miles outdoor and I'd die lol

My birthday is coming up and I want a good watch to help me nerd out and stay focused on this whole cardio thing. I think I have it down to the Garmin Venu 2 or the Coros Apex
I've never owned either brand so have 0 brand loyalty
Any input?

They say you can't outrun the fork but get yourself on a bike and it makes it a lot easier to keep it at bay.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

And if you can gamify calorie counting (don't run huge deficits just stay in the green!) you will drop so much weight you'll amaze yourself.

And even if you don't you can be a big dude and still love the poo poo out of riding bikes.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

To answer your specific question:

I have a Garmin Fenix watch.
I like it a lot.

I don't use it while cycling because I like to be able to see ride data more easily, and my wrist isn't at a good angle for that.

I had a cheaper Garmin watch before, but the HR and battery life on it were very poor. The HR feature on this one while riding isn't great either, but it's good enough to run with or use indoors.

If I was going to only buy one fitness tracking device, I would buy this again and find a way to mount it on my handlebars.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Warning that most people will initially get calorie counting all wrong, and many continue to do it because seeing low calorie numbers feels good even if you're consuming way more than that.

Weigh yourself every few weeks. Have you gained weight? No? Cool. Yes? Take your current portions and cut them by 20-30%...visually. Done. You don't need more resolution than that.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 24, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Duck and Cover posted:

I find the things I buy make my experiences better, at least that tends to be the goal. Hills? Ebike. Not being sure where I am? GPS. Wanting to know when people are behind me? Mirror/radar. Too hot? Lights/reflective tape etc. so I feel visible enough to ride in the dark. Don't want to deal with grease? Belt drive.

Besides if the goal is exercise it only needs to be the least unpleasant option.

It was 91 degrees in New York today. I was hoping you'd found a solution to "too hot".

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It was 91 degrees in New York today. I was hoping you'd found a solution to "too hot".
Easy move to somewhere cold. No? Cycle indoors. No? Okay okay I've got you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Ti4GP0ntE (also available in water circulating, and just an ice pack alternatives) No? My last solution is the weather machine from The Avengers (1998).

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17giwT8enk

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 24, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Still cycling slowly and painfully as a fat guy. I like it. It hurts so good but not at all in my legs. Definitely a case of my cardio being crap but legs are strong. Pushing a mile at a time though so that's good.
Did some cycling indoors and Holy Hell what a difference that makes. 4 miles in sub 13 minutes?? No problem
Try even 3 miles outdoor and I'd die lol

My birthday is coming up and I want a good watch to help me nerd out and stay focused on this whole cardio thing. I think I have it down to the Garmin Venu 2 or the Coros Apex
I've never owned either brand so have 0 brand loyalty
Any input?

Lol at the guys who just spent like 9 pages discussing bike computers telling you not to get yourself a nice birthday present.

I’ve gone Garmin myself, the watch and the bike computer work really well together on the app linked with strava and the watch features are fantastic

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's not necessarily true. Once you've experienced a well-tuned damper or the precise ka-shink of a good shifter it's kinda hard to go back.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Budget bike tyres will without exception suck all joy out of your life.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Safety Dance posted:

The solution is to bike to the beach :colbert:.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ugh, too many New Yorkers. I'll just move somewhere colder.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

learnincurve posted:

Lol at the guys who just spent like 9 pages discussing bike computers telling you not to get yourself a nice birthday present.

I’ve gone Garmin myself, the watch and the bike computer work really well together on the app linked with strava and the watch features are fantastic

It was like 1 poster. No one cares how the OP spends his money.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Safety Dance posted:

Portland oregon has the yearly tradition of naked bike rides.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've had my bike for like 2 years now but I exclusively use it to bike 4 miles to the climbing gym and home, and virtually nothing else.

Lost my job last month so I've been trying to find literally anything to pass the time, which has now included throwing the bike in the car and finding cool parks to ride around in.

At some point will I figure out a good way to load in my bike into my hatchback, or will it always be an awkward struggle of trying to shove it in, go around to the passenger side, pull it up a bit further, go back to the rear hatch and awkwardly push it in some more?

As an aside, going from a 4 mile ride through the city to an empty park where I can just haul rear end has actually been a lot of fun and I wish I had a fast road bike and not just a commuter bike now. I did 13 miles in an hour last Friday. I felt pretty good, until I stopped and drove home then my legs and rear end were mega sore.

Apr 7, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I've had my bike for like 2 years now but I exclusively use it to bike 4 miles to the climbing gym and home, and virtually nothing else.

Lost my job last month so I've been trying to find literally anything to pass the time, which has now included throwing the bike in the car and finding cool parks to ride around in.

At some point will I figure out a good way to load in my bike into my hatchback, or will it always be an awkward struggle of trying to shove it in, go around to the passenger side, pull it up a bit further, go back to the rear hatch and awkwardly push it in some more?

As an aside, going from a 4 mile ride through the city to an empty park where I can just haul rear end has actually been a lot of fun and I wish I had a fast road bike and not just a commuter bike now. I did 13 miles in an hour last Friday. I felt pretty good, until I stopped and drove home then my legs and rear end were mega sore.

Get a hitch put on your hatchback and get a hitch carrier.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sab669 posted:

Are you taking one or both wheels off

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Get a hitch put on your hatchback and get a hitch carrier.

Great idea in theory, but probably not the most budget-friendly option for someone recently unemployed.

I always flipped down the back seats, stuck the wheels in the passenger seat, and loaded the frame in last (drive-side up, of course). Now I have a truck with a tailgate pad and I'll never look back.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Sab669 posted:

Put the seat forward, put the bike in drive side down (assuming LHD car, otherwise drive side up) with the drive side crank pointing backwards, bars rotated so they're facing up. Fork should sit in the space between driver/passenger, front wheel behind driver's seat. This can be done in one lift, check rear wheel is clear before slamming the hatch: if it's not jiggle it forward. You should never have to go to the front (it doesn't help anyway, it's impossible to lift from there really).

This works in a VW Up so should work for literally anything unless you drive an actual toy car.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Saris Bones is probably the best cheaper option for a rack. Other than that, yeah take the wheels off or put your back seat down.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have clipless pedals and clipless shoes and, even when I am clipped-in, I still pedal on them as if I was using platform pedals with normal shoes.

Any resources I can read up to improve my pedaling technique?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

ElMaligno posted:

I have clipless pedals and clipless shoes and, even when I am clipped-in, I still pedal on them as if I was using platform pedals with normal shoes.

Pedaling is just pedaling, the only difference is your foot never falls off the pedal when you don't pay attention.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vando posted:

Put the seat forward, put the bike in drive side down (assuming LHD car, otherwise drive side up) with the drive side crank pointing backwards, bars rotated so they're facing up. Fork should sit in the space between driver/passenger, front wheel behind driver's seat. This can be done in one lift, check rear wheel is clear before slamming the hatch: if it's not jiggle it forward. You should never have to go to the front (it doesn't help anyway, it's impossible to lift from there really).

This works in a VW Up so should work for literally anything unless you drive an actual toy car.

Why would you ever put it driveside down?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Vando posted:

Pedaling is just pedaling, the only difference is your foot never falls off the pedal when you don't pay attention.

it's pretty useful to learn to also pull instead of only pushing though, isn't it?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Why would you ever put it driveside down?

It doesn't fit the other way around.

Lex Neville posted:

it's pretty useful to learn to also pull instead of only pushing though, isn't it?

Pulling up does essentially nothing.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lex Neville posted:

Yeah, I have tried different ways of pushing and pulling but all of 'em feel, weird or off...

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vando posted:

It doesn't fit the other way around.

Pulling up does essentially nothing.

A bicycle is symmetrical??

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

The interior of a car isn't, unless you can drive with your seat fully forward.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

If you need the handlebars pointing forwards it isn't

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you need the handlebars pointing forwards it isn't

Or the bars pointing up.

In fact it isn't symmetrical at all what the hell??

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Consider a spherical bike in a frictionless hatchback...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

One-legged drills are the best way to improve your pedaling technique, with riding fixed being a less effective but way more fun alternative.

Improving pedaling technique is essential for maximizing your sprinting form, and also has the side benefit of improving muscle endurance on long rides by letting you flexibly and fluidly change which muscle groups are doing the heavy lifting for a few pedal strokes, reducing fatigue.

One legged drills will feel super weird.
The typical prescription is: low speed, low power, 60-80rpm cadence. start with 15 seconds on each leg. Alternate between legs for 5 reps. Cut short if you start "knocking" (where you are unable to produce smooth power around the full pedal stroke).
Progress duration and maaaybe cadence over the course of a few weeks.
Once you can do 60 seconds without any knocking you're not gonna get much more out of it.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 24, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ElMaligno posted:

Yeah, I have tried different ways of pushing and pulling but all of 'em feel, weird or off...

Even very good cyclists can have pretty awkward pedaling cadence/form.
Outside of looking very smooth and cool, having a uniform pedaling stroke isn't some limiting factor to performance (for normal non-track-sprint cadences, I suppose).
When you feel like you're dissatisfied with your pedaling, just visualize pedaling a little more smoothly and willing your feet to move in circles even if they weren't locked in to doing so.

Maybe if you run like 25cm bars, it can always be fit in front or back first.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Even very good cyclists can have pretty awkward pedaling cadence/form.
Outside of looking very smooth and cool, having a uniform pedaling stroke isn't some limiting factor to performance (for normal non-track-sprint cadences, I suppose).
When you feel like you're dissatisfied with your pedaling, just visualize pedaling a little more smoothly and willing your feet to move in circles even if they weren't locked in to doing so.

Or framed differently, some very good cyclists can make up for inefficient pedaling form through their exceptional fitness and strength. If you aren't exceptional, reducing the amount of muscle fatigue you get with some simple exercises is probably worthwhile, and is one of the main benefits of clipless pedals.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Thank you guys, the other thing i need to work on is my balance/confidence on my bike but i gotta ride more for that one.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ElMaligno posted:

Thank you guys, the other thing i need to work on is my balance/confidence on my bike but i gotta ride more for that one.

riding more is great. we should all do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

thinking about riding my bike again soon.