Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

nonathlon posted:

Audition is something alright. It's the only picture where I've had to leave the theatre briefly because it was just too much. A good movie? Not sure, but it's extraordinary.

Re Duellists talk, is it implied that just after the final scene, Keitel's character jumps to his death? It doesn't change the ending in any way, but I think I recall reading an essay that said that.

Duelists: that wasn't my reading, it's more that Feraud was like Napolean, spared from execution but effectively in exile for the rest of his days. See this painting:

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 23:28 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

sometimes i just put on some garbage I find on hbo because the movies they option for streaming are sometimes amusing but holy crap Serving Sara is a terrible movie.

There are like a two dozen McQueen, Bogart, Caine, or Kelly movies you could watch.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Doctor Jeep posted:

don't forget raised by wolves season 2

I'd prefer to forget it, actually.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BoundingComics/status/1396532855145213956

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Amber Midthunder was the best part of Legion aside from Aubrey Plaza but this is still going to be garbagio.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Laterite posted:

Amber Midthunder was the best part of Legion aside from Aubrey Plaza but this is still going to be garbagio.

yeah, happy to see her get work but i don't think it's going to be very good.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JosephWulfsohn/status/1396329072490426368

thinking of that comment i made in the dems thread about how jim carrey getting contracted to play biden was a shrewd move on his agents part since there was a good chance he would either lose or that saturday night live wouldnt have the guts to actually make fun of him so they basically just handed him a pile of free money

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/digitalsista/status/1396545396617383937

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

kevin spacey did nothing unusual by italian standards

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
cancel culture doesn’t exist full stop

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dreylad posted:

Duelists: that wasn't my reading, it's more that Feraud was like Napolean, spared from execution but effectively in exile for the rest of his days. See this painting:

Yeah, it doesn't matter what else happens, history has made him and the things he believed in irrelevant, and even if he was petty, hypocritical and violent in the end it doesn't necessarily feel good that the people who didn't care at all came out on top.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

it does but it is just a weak attempt to leverage capital for social causes

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvzE64A28NI

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Atrocious Joe posted:

none of Snyder's movies are as fascistic as Nolan's Dark Knight stuff

Neither of them are as good as Blade

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

few movies are. unfair standard imo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
none of the DC or Marvel movies can hold a candle to Blade.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the reboot is going to suck a septic tank dry

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Blade is great but it's no Swamp Thing

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
is Henry Rollins better in

The Chase

or

Johnny Mnemonic

?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

thinking of that comment i made in the dems thread about how jim carrey getting contracted to play biden was a shrewd move on his agents part since there was a good chance he would either lose or that saturday night live wouldnt have the guts to actually make fun of him so they basically just handed him a pile of free money

Gives him more time to be Robotnik

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Season 1, Episode 2 of the Newsroom

The big story of the episode was Arizona's SB 1070, a controversial (anti-)immigration bill passed by then Gov. Jan Brewer.

The plot is framed around Mackenzie MacHale, the show's senior producer trying get going on this mission of formulating a news show that is actually about doing the news...

... and the tension that that spawns between her and Will because Will is still very very concerned about ratings.

On the one hand, she rejects the idea of continued headline coverage of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, on the basis that while the visuals of an oil rig sinking into the ocean is "sexy", it's no longer relevant information to "voters".

But then, she also approaches Sloan Sabbith (played by Olivia Munn) and asks her if she wants to take five minutes of their show every night to do a segment on explaining economics to the viewership, because she's a legit credentialed economist (and in true Sorkin fashion, her robust academic credentials are read out to us in detail). When Sloan says that she has some professors that she'd love to bring on to help, Mac cuts her off by saying that they don't have Sloan's legs, which they need so that viewers actually pay attention. We're supposed to acknowledge that this is a contradiction, but the show just moves on.

The part I really want to focus on is that Neil, Dev Patel's character, suggests to Mac that as part of their coverage of the Arizona bill, they call up and bring onto the show someone who was outed by their local newspaper as being an illegal immigrant and lost their job because of it. Mac rejects the idea, saying that this would be an emotional appeal, which would be bad, because they only want to focus on the facts. It's complete liberal bullshit - we want to win the argument, but we also want to win the right way, and that includes not doing anything that would tug at your heartstrings about how bad the Republicans are.

Except Sorkin does that anyway! Since the show can't actually interview Jan Brewer (something that's going to keep happening), they engineer a plot twist that causes them to lose the interview because the Governor's spokesperson was a jilted lover of the producer doing the pre-interview, and since they lost the interview so close to show-time, they can't book anyone except a professor with a PhD in race science, a gun nut, and an airhead Miss America contestant. Three bog-standard "look at these stupid red state motherfuckers" stereotypes that Will has to embarassingly interview while we the viewers get to laugh at how Dumb and Goddamn Crazy they are.

And then, at the very end of the episode, Will calls up Neil, and tells him to set-up an account for the guy he found so that he can take a cab to work while Will pays for it. On the sly of course, because Neil is also instructed to keep this strictly hush-hush. I'm taking notes from The Worst Wing here because this is another manifestation of a Sorkin writing tic where as long as you can solve the problem for an individual, then that gets projected out as having solved the problem for everyone! Sure, America's a racist, fascist nation that treats immigrants like dirt, so all you really need is some sugar daddy to find you and take care of you! And loving Will McAvoy doesn't even really give him all that much money, he just promises to pay for the guy's taxi fare, but presumably he still has to take the cab to a job that pays him minimum wage while he struggles to put food on the table and send his kids to school! And he's supposed to be a hero for doing this! gently caress you!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

indigi posted:

the reboot is going to suck a septic tank dry

It's gonna be really po faced isn't it?

I doubt there's gonna be even a single scene where blade jumps out of a swimming pool of blood and cuts a racist vampire in half

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

It's gonna be really po faced isn't it?

I doubt there's gonna be even a single scene where blade jumps out of a swimming pool of blood and cuts a racist vampire in half

If theres no quote about motherfuckers iceskating uphill, i want no part of it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

When Sloan says that she has some professors that she'd love to bring on to help, Mac cuts her off by saying that they don't have Sloan's legs, which they need so that viewers actually pay attention.

this makes no sense because we never see pundit legs this is literally why we call them the talking heads a phrase so old it was taken as the name of a band that was founded long before any of us were even born

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

this makes no sense because we never see pundit legs this is literally why we call them the talking heads a phrase so old it was taken as the name of a band that was founded long before any of us were even born

I figure that has to be a reference to Fox News and their hiring of blondes with long legs for Boomers to jack it to

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

KomradeX posted:

I figure that has to be a reference to Fox News and their hiring of blondes with long legs for Boomers to jack it to

This is local weather girl erasure.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

If theres no quote about motherfuckers iceskating uphill, i want no part of it

well it’s gonna be PG-13 so they do get one “gently caress” and it might be this. but otherwise. it’s gonna be bad

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

isn’t there a Fox News host who has a segment where she puts her legs up on the desk

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

happy 80th to bob dylan, still the goat

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Amazon is buying MGM studios.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1200302678359842816?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0VUtZOv-Zg

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I remember meeting a friend of a friend who was a big Whedon fan and I said ‘The guy who made Alien 4? That movie sucked!’ and they stumbled with their words trying to explain other things he did. It was funny.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

"Kevin Spacey is preparing to return to the screen playing the role of a detective investigating the case of a man wrongly suspected of paedophilia"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

happy 80th to bob dylan, still the goat

He sure did write a bunch of songs other people sang 100 times better

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bzzzt wrong the covers are with very few exceptions worse

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted: