Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There are only two mammals that have figured out sweating

This isn't accurate. All primates sweat. Hippos sweat (when not in water). Even dogs and cats sweat through their paws a little.

Why am I talking about this in the OOTS thread I don't know.

yeah, but all of primates still do use sweating as the primary cooling mechanism, which is more than two mammals
VVVVVV

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The difference is that horses and humans use sweating as a primary means of cooling while most other mammals pant. Sweating is actually a pretty suboptimal way to reduce heat because it dehydrates you, uses up salts, and is weather-dependent, but since it’s over the entire body it’s extremely effective at getting rid of lots of heat very quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Nenonen posted:

yeah, but all of primates still do use sweating as the primary cooling mechanism, which is more than two mammals
Only two mammals with bodies optimized for running, then. Primates can sweat, but (from some cursory research) a gorilla's top speed isn't much higher than a human's, and they can't keep it up for long.

Nenonen posted:

Why am I talking about this in the OOTS thread I don't know.
It's a better derail than going back into the debates about fantasy racial equality.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
We can discuss goblins if you like.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As long as we're talking about human endurance, I suggest anyone curious to look up Cliff Young, an Australian guy who won a 960 kilometer marathon because he didn't bother to stop and sleep, he just ran for five days straight. Also he was a sixty-one year old potato farmer.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

There's actually already a thread for that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A.o.D. posted:

Do you think goblins sweat?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
While we're derailing anyway, I've been thinking a lot recently about how Patriot from the mobile game Arknights is sort of a more sympathetic take on Redcloak, in that he is an antagonist who fights for an oppressed group and is motivated almost solely by the sunk cost fallacy ("I can't stop fighting, or else all their deaths will have been in vain"). The basic thrust of his character is that he's a living legend, an ancient general from a long-lived race (he's ~200 years old), but with every battle he's won he's lost more and more soldiers and loved ones, until all he has left to fight for is the fight itself, which he is determined to win at any cost. And he no longer trusts anyone else to accomplish anything because he's seen too many young people die for nothing, including his own children. Which is what puts him in conflict with the protagonists.

He also has a sort of similar thing going on where he is working with another antagonist whose motives are much less sympathetic, and he plans to get as much use out of her as he can before killing her himself. Although it's more tragic since she was sort of a daughter to him until she jumped off the deep end, but the fact that he's willing to kill her anyway just shows how brutally determined he is to sacrifice everything in order to justify all the previous sacrifices.

I get the impression that there isn't much overlap in the fandoms for these works, so I'm not expecting much of a conversation to emerge from this, but I thought they were an interesting comparison.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 23, 2021

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ultrafilter posted:

Do you think goblins sweat?

More importantly, has anyone done the chemical analysis to determine how a hypothetical goblins sweat would taste

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybwnii-ZYB4&t=526s

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

More importantly, has anyone done the chemical analysis to determine how a hypothetical goblins sweat would taste

I am so disappointed that MatPat's 3rd channel wasn't Comic Theory. He totally would do that.

Edit: wondering now if it could pass for a Food Theory episode...

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

I understood this reference!

Unfortunately.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Like cheese. Where did you think they got the Gouda?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The same as every other aspect of goblins, "like poo poo"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Koalas are the one of very few creatures that can even kind of eat eucalyptus though, so they have zero competetion for food. There's a reason that koalas aren't endangered. Even if they have a weird lovely food source, they can live long enough off it to keep the species going and no one's gonna fight them for it.

Koalas are pretty much entirely "built around"* eating eucalyptus, yes. Setting aside that, as Johnny Aztec described, they don't actually do it well because it will still literally kill them eventually, a lot of the other "flaws" they have are basically optimizations resulting from their food source. Including their astounding lack of intelligence even for marsupials (which already have less "advanced" brains than placental mammals, if I recall correctly); thinking actually uses a lot of energy, something eucalyptus does not provide much of. Since "evolve the ability to subsist on other things again" would require quite a few more steps, koalas went with the other option: Think less. They have one of the smallest brain-to-body mass ratios of living mammals, and their brains are, yes, quite literally smooth for the most part. They also have lower body temperatures and metabolic rates than most mammals because, once again, their diet does not provide them enough energy to do things like, well, "doing things"; they also sleep like twenty hours a day, since they don't have the energy to stay awake most of the time. Most of the time they are awake has to be dedicated to eating, too.

The koala is my favorite example how "survival of the fittest" does not remotely mean what most people think it does. Despite everything said here about them, koalas are actually extremely fit, at least for one thing, and that thing is subsisting on eucalyptus leaves. I'd say they're almost perfectly fit for it even, if it weren't for that issue of it eventually destroying their teeth and leaving them unable to eat anymore, but since that affects them well after they've likely reproduces already I suppose it's not actually a problem. Heck, growing better, longer-lasting teeth or having teeth that grow constantly like some other mammals would require more energy and resource investment, and as we've established that would be incompatible with eating nothing but loving eucalyptus. Clearly teeth that aren't eucalyptus-resistant were the correct choice in perfectly optimizing the koala for their particular niche. Which is to say, eating nutritionless poison, because eucalyptus did just about everything in its power to be inedible and koalas apparently took that as a challenge.

*Disclaimer: I am aware that natural selection is not an intentional or guided process (as opposed to artificial selection, which isn't the subject here), it's just easier and funnier to use terms like these to describe things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 25, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Koalas are easy to dunk on, but just for some clarification, many small mammals have smooth brains, including rabbits, squirrel monkeys, rats, and opossums. Koalas aren't noticeably more or less intelligent than any other critter that sits in trees and eats leafs all day. Also eating a plant none of the other herbivores bother with is an important ecological niche because it reintroduces those nutrients to the ecosystem.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

YggiDee posted:

Koalas are easy to dunk on, but just for some clarification, many small mammals have smooth brains, including rabbits, squirrel monkeys, rats, and opossums. Koalas aren't noticeably more or less intelligent than any other critter that sits in trees and eats leafs all day. Also eating a plant none of the other herbivores bother with is an important ecological niche because it reintroduces those nutrients to the ecosystem.

Sloths aren't particularly stupid, at least, not compared to animals they're related to that aren't tree dwelling leaf eaters. Yes, they've made a lot of the same adaptations that koalas have, but exceptional lack of intelligence isn't one of them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

YggiDee posted:

Koalas are easy to dunk on, but just for some clarification, many small mammals have smooth brains, including rabbits, squirrel monkeys, rats, and opossums.

This is more of an indication that you can't measure intelligence by how smooth the brain is. Rats at least are plenty intelligent, because you need to be to be an omnivore who has to adapt to changing food circumstances.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Roland Jones posted:

Koalas are pretty much entirely "built around"* eating eucalyptus, yes. Setting aside that, as Johnny Aztec described, they don't actually do it well because it will still literally kill them eventually, a lot of the other "flaws" they have are basically optimizations resulting from their food source. Including their astounding lack of intelligence even for marsupials (which already have less "advanced" brains than placental mammals, if I recall correctly); thinking actually uses a lot of energy, something eucalyptus does not provide much of. Since "evolve the ability to subsist on other things again" would require quite a few more steps, koalas went with the other option: Think less. They have one of the smallest brain-to-body mass ratios of living mammals, and their brains are, yes, quite literally smooth for the most part. They also have lower body temperatures and metabolic rates than most mammals because, once again, their diet does not provide them enough energy to do things like, well, "doing things"; they also sleep like twenty hours a day, since they don't have the energy to stay awake most of the time. Most of the time they are awake has to be dedicated to eating, too.

The koala is my favorite example how "survival of the fittest" does not remotely mean what most people think it does. Despite everything said here about them, koalas are actually extremely fit, at least for one thing, and that thing is subsisting on eucalyptus leaves. I'd say they're almost perfectly fit for it even, if it weren't for that issue of it eventually destroying their teeth and leaving them unable to eat anymore, but since that affects them well after they've likely reproduces already I suppose it's not actually a problem. Heck, growing better, longer-lasting teeth or having teeth that grow constantly like some other mammals would require more energy and resource investment, and as we've established that would be incompatible with eating nothing but loving eucalyptus. Clearly teeth that aren't eucalyptus-resistant were the correct choice in perfectly optimizing the koala for their particular niche. Which is to say, eating nutritionless poison, because eucalyptus did just about everything in its power to be inedible and koalas apparently took that as a challenge.

*Disclaimer: I am aware that natural selection is not an intentional or guided process (as opposed to artificial selection, which isn't the subject here), it's just easier and funnier to use terms like these to describe things.

On the other hand, Koalas sleep all day and lazily eat until they die, while humans spend our time stressing ourselves out over meaningless tasks and then also die. So which species is really the smart one?

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
OOTS 1235: Idle Thoughts

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Belkar is the best, as usual

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

YggiDee posted:

Also eating a plant none of the other herbivores bother with is an important ecological niche because it reintroduces those nutrients to the ecosystem.

So far as forest fires go eucalyptus is basically a gasoline tree; those nutrients are going back into the system sooner or later.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That title combined with the talk about Koalas is some divine timing.

edit: Poor Elan :unsmith:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

V complimenting the meal was cute.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
#1235, Idle Thoughts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The 1235th Order of the Stick: Idle Thoughts.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Idle Thoughts: 1235th page of the webcomic, Order of the Stick

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
:siren: New comic :siren:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hey, was there an update? I saw a bunch of new posts in here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Being doxxed like this sucks.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I saw a bunch of new posts, thought more koala tidbits were posted, got a new strip instead :/

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

God, I hope Rich is okay, can't wait for there to be an actual new strip

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

skeleton warrior posted:

God, I hope Rich is okay, can't wait for there to be an actual new strip

Unironically this, today's really looks like filler.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Sloths aren't particularly stupid, at least, not compared to animals they're related to that aren't tree dwelling leaf eaters. Yes, they've made a lot of the same adaptations that koalas have, but exceptional lack of intelligence isn't one of them.

They even had a megafauna evolutionary branch back in the day, so there must've been some broader adaptability back in the day. They're really fascinating creatures as opposed to just a slow, fat squirrel that resembles a juvenile bear.

They also don't get chlamydia all the time like quallas do.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's weird, it's totally a gag on Elan being an extrovert and doesn't really advance the story or develop any of the characters (which, to be clear, is fine -- the tension needs some time to breathe), I can't remember the last time we had a page like this.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm guessing the next page is going to be more Big Plot Advancement® but in a totally different context from Roy & Durkon's fantasy theodicy, so it would have been jarring to cut straight from one to the other, especially in book form.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They even had a megafauna evolutionary branch back in the day, so there must've been some broader adaptability back in the day. They're really fascinating creatures as opposed to just a slow, fat squirrel that resembles a juvenile bear.

They also don't get chlamydia all the time like quallas do.

Megatherium were cool as gently caress. I wish they'd survived long enough as a species to get domesticated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OOTS: Order of the Eucalpytus Stick

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

habeasdorkus posted:

Megatherium were cool as gently caress. I wish they'd survived long enough as a species to get domesticated.

Even if they'd lived longer, there's no guarantee they'd be domesticable; not all animals are. On the other hand, they did give us avocados.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope we get out of this soon because this is getting boring.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wonder if he's just doing filler because he's working on a two page scene or something that'll take extra long because I genuinely have no idea what the point is otherwise. :v: