Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Max Payne 2 is probably too easy, even on the hardest difficulty, but that’s one of those things that’s hard to hold against it. Especially after some of the bullshit in the first game. It is literally perfect otherwise and I will hear no counter arguments regarding this topic, thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mordja posted:

Counterpoint: some aspects of Max Payne 1 don't quite hold up but Max Payne 2 is probably still the best third person shooter ever made.

Its great, no doubt. But as I said, take away bullet time, it isn't. Ofc thats some hypothetical stuff, as BT is part of the game and interwined into it. Thats not true for most of their other games though, but the basic TPS mechanic from MP hasn't really changed much since Max Payne.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glare Seethe posted:

Well, at the very least this means I can go back to Fume Knight. I did get one of the idols down so maybe I can corner him there.

Glare Seethe posted:

I tried this fight a few times with three active idols and wouldn't you know it, it blows. :rip: indeed, that's potentially the end of my adventure in Brume Tower.

Oh, I have good news! Unless I'm absurdly wrong you actually still have a hope. If you get stuck with Fume Knight regenerating, it's because you run out of wedges at the very last idol. If you only have 1 of 4 turned off, then it's time to explore Brume Tower some more. Edit: Beaten, oops.

I was getting a bit worn down by the game on my last playthrough (I did something similar to you actually, killed Ivory King then went back to suffer through Fume Knight, then called it quits there) so I definitely understand the fatigue, but the DLCs are dense enough that it's kind of a bad time to start just trying to blaze through everything. :shobon: Besides, if you do that then you'll never become an Onion Knight!

Glare Seethe posted:

It's not the level design (though I agree about the annoying enemies in the Aerie) but just that moment when you enter a new area and you get the audio cue + name sprawled over the screen. I love that, but it happens too often in DS2. Grand Cathedral didn't need that, it could've just been part of Eleum Loyce. Cave of the Dead. Iron Passage. Just have it be a bonfire for Brume Tower and call it "Iron Passage" in the travel menu.

I think in a lot of those cases it's a matter of organization and quality of life. Instead of needing to go an extra level down, you can quickly access the co-op areas directly (and I guess in a nebulous way it hints that those aren't normal areas). The Grand Cathedral is similar, where it isn't an explicit co-op zone but there is a sort of co-op quest associated with it. I also wouldn't be surprised if in a few cases smushing everything together would cause there to be more than 5 bonfires listed for an area, which also wouldn't be ideal.

But there are definitely parts where you're like "wait, really?" The one I always think of is Harvest Valley -> Earthen Peaks.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 25, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hot take: Max Payne 1 holds up better than people say and I like it better than Max Payne 2, even if some sections do suck a whole lot.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

poo poo, it had driving sections? I have like zero recollection of those.

well, they're pretty forgettable, especially because they're not even proper set-piece "vehicle levels" like you might expect as interludes to change up the pacing in a third-person shooter; you really just drive from the location of one shooter level to another, and it feels almost exactly like driving from mission to mission in an open-world game. this is pretty weird because AW is generally quite linear and in no way open-world, but when you consider its protracted development history and that it was originally conceived as an open-world game, it's pretty obvious how those driving sections made it in

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Max Payne 2 was better mechanically but I prefer 1 because I liked the story more.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The way Dark Souls III handles areas is more confusing than DS2...
You'll still get the big text thing in the middle of your screen saying "GRAND ARCHIVES" or "PROFANED CAPITOL" or "ANOR LONDO" to show you've entered a new area, except none of those places actually count as separate areas in the bonfire-warp menu -- all the Grand Archives bonfires show up under Lothric Castle, etc.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Barry Convex posted:

well, they're pretty forgettable, especially because they're not even proper set-piece "vehicle levels" like you might expect as interludes to change up the pacing in a third-person shooter; you really just drive from the location of one shooter level to another, and it feels almost exactly like driving from mission to mission in an open-world game. this is pretty weird because AW is generally quite linear and in no way open-world, but when you consider its protracted development history and that it was originally conceived as an open-world game, it's pretty obvious how those driving sections made it in

And the forest scenery in Alan Wake is gorgeous so getting to immerse yourself in that for a little while without shadow monsters nipping at your heels is a plus.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im dumb with money and bought an oculus quest 2 and man, i wasnt like totally 100% sold on vr but being able to walk around in skyrim or no man's sky VR and see the scale of poo poo, its a really loving awesome experience.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ah well :rip:

Edit: Hmmmmm
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1397244530907402251?s=20

Guess I'll wait a bit and see how it plays out before I go fishing for a refund.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 25, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The way Dark Souls III handles areas is more confusing than DS2...
You'll still get the big text thing in the middle of your screen saying "GRAND ARCHIVES" or "PROFANED CAPITOL" or "ANOR LONDO" to show you've entered a new area, except none of those places actually count as separate areas in the bonfire-warp menu -- all the Grand Archives bonfires show up under Lothric Castle, etc.

Such is life in Souls.

Hell I've played Bloodborne through probably 20 times and I couldn't tell you what headstone has what locations. Cathedral Ward in the right most, critically hosed up locations like Nightmare Frontier are in the hosed up one, and everything else is ???

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

queeb posted:

im dumb with money and bought an oculus quest 2 and man, i wasnt like totally 100% sold on vr but being able to walk around in skyrim or no man's sky VR and see the scale of poo poo, its a really loving awesome experience.

VR stuff is kinda cool and Oculus's hardware is apparently really great for just 300bux or whatever, compared to $1000 for the Index or similar prices for HTC's poo poo
I probably would have wasted my money on an Oculus toy already if it weren't for Facebook sticking their grubby fingers in it. (And apparently permanently disabling your account/device if you try to make a fake throwaway fb account for it...)
so thanks, Zuck! you saved me $300!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

queeb posted:

VR is the future

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

40K people playing Biomutant on Steam.

Quite a lot of the reviews are in the 6-7 range.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like VR isn't *quite* there but I'm really excited to see where it is in 5-10 years. I will say playing Squadrons in VR and looking out to your right while your S-foils lock in attack position is pretty much all I ever wanted out of the future when I was a kid. Elite Dangerous in VR is gorgeous.

It's an absolute killer app for flight sims or other poo poo you can control with a joystick, but I feel like it won't be there as far as regular games until there's some kind of force feedback that adds touch to the sensory suite. Also, they need to figure out a way to sim walking that doesn't involve $15k omnidirectional treadmills.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hub Cat posted:

Ah well :rip:

Edit: Hmmmmm
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1397244530907402251?s=20

Guess I'll wait a bit and see how it plays out before I go fishing for a refund.

It shows up in my account as officially owning the game, and I got an email from EA this morning announcing the same, so I assume the $3 deal worked. Just need to wait a bit for launch hiccups.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Playing full PC games on a portable is fuckin awesome but there are still loads of issues with the main one being battery life(besides price).

I have a GPD win max and I’m waiting for my aya Neo to arrive.

Also if they went with intel they’d have to deal with the hot rear end that are the current state of intel graphics drivers. Also intel chews through the battery life.

The tech is getting so much better but it does have a little ways to go.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god drat time to mod skyrim vr

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

zoux posted:

I feel like VR isn't *quite* there but I'm really excited to see where it is in 5-10 years. I will say playing Squadrons in VR and looking out to your right while your S-foils lock in attack position is pretty much all I ever wanted out of the future when I was a kid. Elite Dangerous in VR is gorgeous.

It's an absolute killer app for flight sims or other poo poo you can control with a joystick, but I feel like it won't be there as far as regular games until there's some kind of force feedback that adds touch to the sensory suite. Also, they need to figure out a way to sim walking that doesn't involve $15k omnidirectional treadmills.

Stand-up-and-walk-around VR is always going to be a niche turbo-nerd product no matter how much the tech advances because most people can't or won't dedicate an entire room in their house just for bideo james.
Sitting at your desk or on your couch with a headset and a joystick sounds way more realistic in terms of a product that might actually sell.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’m glad I’m not the only one here who sprung for an Aya Neo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The UI for Biomutant really reminds me of what I remember of Fortnite.

Edit: Is there no weight to anything in this game?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MarcusSA posted:

Also if they went with intel they’d have to deal with the hot rear end that are the current state of intel graphics drivers. Also intel chews through the battery life.

Ironically, Intel's Linux drivers are really good. They sometimes support more features than the Windows version even… :v:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ragequit posted:

It shows up in my account as officially owning the game, and I got an email from EA this morning announcing the same, so I assume the $3 deal worked. Just need to wait a bit for launch hiccups.

Nah people are already playing through EA Play Pro. The email I got earlier says "BIOMUTANT - The Mercenary Class" now available and it's not showing up in my Origin library. It's up to EA if they want to give us the game or refunds but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'll let it ride for a day or two to see what happens but I'm not expecting anything :shrug: just how the cookie crumbles with price errors

Folks are getting bad or different answers because they probably didn't filter the line down to frontline support yet.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 25, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anno posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only one here who sprung for an Aya Neo.

I’m not feeling any FOMO for not getting that larger device that came out shortly after.

AMD really is the superior choice for portables right now.

Intel is faster and can push better graphics but at the cost of significantly higher battery life and heat.

These portables are fuckin awesome though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Gabe Newell is going to make Nepgear real.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I played three hours of Subnautica today and all I did was gently caress around adding poo poo to my Cyclops. I got two plant feeders for growing watermelons for food and two fish tanks because gently caress it!
:allears:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Cartoon Man posted:

I played three hours of Subnautica today and all I did was gently caress around adding poo poo to my Cyclops. I got two plant feeders for growing watermelons for food and two fish tanks because gently caress it!
:allears:

The booming "Welcome aboard, captain" of the Cyclops is so loving good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

First person to quote me gets a copy of Cook Serve Delicious 3 for steam, the best game in the trilogy!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

haldolium posted:

Its great, no doubt. But as I said, take away bullet time, it isn't.

Yeah and if you take away jumping from Mario it's a lovely game, wtf is your point?
Max Payne 1&2 is some of the best storytelling and gameplay in videogame history, period. :cmon:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

StrixNebulosa posted:

First person to quote me gets a copy of Cook Serve Delicious 3 for steam, the best game in the trilogy!

Well, now. Don’t mind if I do. Is it less stressful than it’s predecessors? They could get a bit too much IIRC.

Or was I misremembering and thinking of Overcooked?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 25, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Max Payne 2 is my favorite game ever made. Well, that or 2017 prey. And MP3, though not by remedy, still holds up really well. I beat it a few months ago and the shooting is still fantastic and it’s the rare game where armored enemies are actually fun to fight. It’s too bad it’s a bit too self serious and has the fake loading.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Well the Humble bundle was a bit of a dud this month though I'm glad enough to have Darksiders Genesis I guess. If anyone would like one of these games please quote my post with the one you want. I will try to edit here but honestly I'm p sick and might forget.

SIZE MATTERS: puzzle platformer where you continually shrink
MORKREDD: couch co-op thing, didn't look into it further
RETIMED: can't remember what this is
FAMILY MAN: you owe money to the mob, reactive world, looks like minecraft, might be poo poo

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 25, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Saoshyant posted:

Well, now. Don’t mind if I do. Is it less stressful than it’s predecessors? They could get a bit too much IIRC.

Or was I misremembering and thinking of Overcooked?

Sent!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

HopperUK posted:

RELICTA: well-reviewed puzzle platformer

hey why not

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

HopperUK posted:

Well the Humble bundle was a bit of a dud this month though I'm glad enough to have Darksiders Genesis I guess. If anyone would like one of these games please quote my post with the one you want. I will try to edit here but honestly I'm p sick and might forget.

HELLPOINT: some action combat thing?

I've been curious about this one, I'll take if I may. No rush though, feel better soon!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

OgNar posted:

Pretty much, one of the reasons I loved SR2 so much.
It was just god mode after a certain point.

THATS the game that should have been remastered since its PC port was kinda lovely anyway.

I'm actually trying to replay it at the minute before jumping into the saints row 3 remaster but even with the Gentlemen of the Row mod the game keeps crashing when loading the cutscenes of the first mission.

It's the one where you need to get new clothes, then head to a bar before then rescuing Gat from the courthouse and driving back to the base. I've tried twice now and it's cashed at different cutscenes each time. With no savepoints in between it seems to be a gamble whether you're gonna lose all that progress or not.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 25, 2021

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mordja posted:

Counterpoint: some aspects of Max Payne 1 don't quite hold up but Max Payne 2 is probably still the best third person shooter ever made.
This, but also "if Max Payne didn't have bullet-time it wouldn't be a very good game" is just a blisteringly obvious hot-take.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
IdolNinja, the goon who made Gentlemen of the Row, has worked for Volition for several years now, and about 2 years ago when some of the original SR2 files were located he got the go-ahead to make a functional version of SR2 for PC. He announced a few weeks ago that he's in the terminal stages of cancer and has stepped down from his other responsibilities, but he wants to keep on working on SR2 as long as he can. Volition has hired additional programmers to make sure it gets finished regardless. So the best Saints Row will be seeing a not remastered but de-hosed and with proper original quality sound release in the near future.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

K8.0 posted:

IdolNinja, the goon who made Gentlemen of the Row, has worked for Volition for several years now, and about 2 years ago when some of the original SR2 files were located he got the go-ahead to make a functional version of SR2 for PC. He announced a few weeks ago that he's in the terminal stages of cancer and has stepped down from his other responsibilities, but he wants to keep on working on SR2 as long as he can. Volition has hired additional programmers to make sure it gets finished regardless. So the best Saints Row will be seeing a not remastered but de-hosed and with proper original quality sound release in the near future.

Yeah this is really loving poo poo news, I heard about it the other day. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not feeling any FOMO for not getting that larger device that came out shortly after.

AMD really is the superior choice for portables right now.

Intel is faster and can push better graphics but at the cost of significantly higher battery life and heat.

These portables are fuckin awesome though.

Yeah the Neo is the first of these to hit a size/battery ratio that I think will work for me. And I kinda worry about driver support on Intel stuff, which hopefully won’t be as big of a deal here. The one up on IGG right now just looks massive lol.