Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

get a job with Lockheed, have a clean record, and have an EE or physics grad degree

I have a great uncle who worked on radar systems in the loving 70s and 80s and he still can’t talk about what he did for 20 years of his life, living between DC and Vegas

You misunderstand. I have all of the parts of that that aren't working for a loving defense contractor (and I'm specialized in materials, not physics or EE.) I need to figure out whose inbox to drop a C.V. in.

Actually, so this isn't a wishful thinking shitpost, let me copy a serious post about the metamaterials that I made elsewhere:

Me posted:

The DeLonge alien materials thing is... weird. For a few reasons.

First, the claims made in the media originally were bullshit. The claim was "unidentifiable alien alloys." That isn't a thing. Any competent materials scientist with relatively common equipment can identify the components of an alloy. About the weirdest it could get is using exotic stable isotopes or elements we haven't synthesized in bulk, stable form yet. Those would be weird, and an incredible discovery, but still something we could identify.

Then, in a more in depth interview, (I was searching for it but couldn't find it, since there's been a ton of publications on these things by various magazines, most of which lack detail) there were claims made by Elizondo that they were alien metamaterials, and "alloys" was a simplified term picked up by the media for simplicity. It was further claimed that these metamaterials acted as waveguides for electromagnetic waves to enable functional invisibility to various forms of sensors. This claim is... semi-plausible? Not in the sense that it seems actually true to me (I'll talk about that in a bit) but in the sense that if you told me to come up with something that could be an actual alien material beyond our current capabilities but still within something we could scientifically understand, this is exactly what I would come up with.

Apparently the Army agreed, because they formed a CRADA. So, a CRADA (I've worked under these myself in academia) is an agreement to share research. It doesn't involve money changing hands, but it does make it possible for TTSA to send its material to the Army for examination with their equipment by their scientists, and for further sharing of results discovered by either side. It's a fairly significant investment of time to set up, even if the budgetary cost isn't high, and it does get reviewed on both sides. Obviously TTSA has no issue, but this means some people in the Army thought their claims were at least plausible enough to investigate in detail.

The thing is, I don't get why. Unlike the videos - which at least raise enough questions that I don't think there's an easy answer - the claims made about these materials have been all over the place, and there's been nothing released to provide even a small amount of verification of those claims. I actually lead with the most plausible. Unlike Elizondo, DeLonge has claimed that these materials float when given an electric charge. If that's true, that's a huge, amazing discovery - reactionless drives, essentially. But there's been nothing, absolutely nothing, to substantiate these claims. I suspect someone at the army got taken for a ride, and now that they can't actually prove anything, it's getting swept under the rug.

So is this a scam, or true believers being dumb? I don't know. Not enough information to be sure. Given the lack of direct compensation and DeLonge's history, I suspect he at least falls into the true believer camp, but who knows. I am, however, pretty drat sure that these alien alloys are bullshit that have been latched on to only because of the veneer of legitimacy provided by the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Here's some non loony tunes related episodes from Sean Carroll.

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2021/01/25/131-avi-loeb-on-taking-aliens-seriously/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2020/11/23/124-solo-how-time-travel-could-and-should-work/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2020/08/24/111-nick-bostrom-on-anthropic-selection-and-living-in-a-simulation/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.co...n-the-universe/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2020/02/03/82-robin-carhart-harris-on-psychedelics-and-the-brain/
https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2019/12/09/76-ned-hall-on-possible-worlds-and-the-laws-of-nature/

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Log082 posted:

You misunderstand. I have all of the parts of that that aren't working for a loving defense contractor (and I'm specialized in materials, not physics or EE.) I need to figure out whose inbox to drop a C.V. in.

Actually, so this isn't a wishful thinking shitpost, let me copy a serious post about the metamaterials that I made elsewhere:

If you're serious, maybe hit up the national ground intelligence center or whatever the air force/navy equiv is

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Log082 posted:

do you think you could pass a full security clearance? I barely even deal with medical data and they combed over the last 7 years of my life for that access so I would imagine getting to see the little grey men in their sterile room ala X-Files season 1 episode 2 would take even more than that

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

dear cspam, how do i join the military industrial complex? the secret one that's full of fascists. tia.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

dear cspam, how do i join the military industrial complex? the secret one that's full of fascists. tia.

no not that one the one that does alien research

wait you're saying they're the same thing and shitposting on the internet isn't going to get me a job??? gently caress

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe write to your senator? Apparently senators have the highest security clearance possible by virtue of serving in the senate, so Diane Feinstein and Josh Hawley can get an accurate answer to any question about crashed ships or secret massacres or MKULTRA or whatever. I don't know how they'd go about asking or if there has to be a reason for them to be informed, but you apparently don't need a related committee appointment.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Also lmao yeah definitely do this just because you really really want to see aliens (which you will never do btw but you'll definitely be looking at grainy pictures of russian motorpools)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Maybe write to your senator? Apparently senators have the highest security clearance possible by virtue of serving in the senate, so Diane Feinstein and Josh Hawley can get an accurate answer to any question about crashed ships or secret massacres or MKULTRA or whatever. I don't know how they'd go about asking or if there has to be a reason for them to be informed, but you apparently don't need a related committee appointment.

I like this idea the most. Just shouting at my senator to let me see the alien alloys, I'm a loving scientist, until they have me dragged out of congress by the capitol police

thanks for the advice cspam

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

You need to solve those Cicada 3301 things over on /x/ if you want to get poached online

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cicada 3301 is just a serial killer with severe agoraphobia, so he has to find a way to get people excited to go visit him.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

aliens are probably fascists

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
aliens are nice

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

they're probably robotic von neuman probes without any actual intelligence, just a very complex program

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Log082 posted:

they're probably von neuman probes without any actual intelligence, just a very complex program

--An alien scientist reading the preliminary reports from the probes dispatched to Earth.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

lol i wanna see diane feinstein try to talk to the aliens about what life was like when she was a little girl

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

:lol: even potus is left out of the loop on special access programs unless they are needed. senators get scraps at best.

potus might be able to get them to acknowledge (only to potus) that a program exists. might.

Log082 posted:

I've been trying to figure who to talk to get a job with the people researching these things, as a like 3/4 idle speculation 1/4 serious thing. I have a scientific background extremely relevant to analyzing captured "alien metamaterials" or whatever the gently caress.

publicly expressing interest/intent to do this excludes you from the good stuff already.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Log082 posted:

https://jobs.battelle.org/ hth

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pooky posted:

:lol: even potus is left out of the loop on special access programs unless they are needed. senators get scraps at best.

potus might be able to get them to acknowledge (only to potus) that a program exists. might.
publicly expressing interest/intent to do this excludes you from the good stuff already.

Is there a case of something classified being kept secret from the president? I am assuming Eisenhower and Kennedy signed off on like MKULTRA.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Is there a case of something classified being kept secret from the president? I am assuming Eisenhower and Kennedy signed off on like MKULTRA.

how would anyone that wasn't allen dulles know that

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SCI programs are known only to people within the program who need to know about it (up to the authorizing manager). Its specifically so one mole can't know literally every government secret there is just because they somehow get a clearance. Higher-security clearances (like a Q clearance) don't let you know MORE, just more dangerous information. I assume it works the same for the president; the president doesn't know everything, only what is most important at the time for a given subject (e.g. presumably the pres cannot just freely ask precisely where boomers are unless he meant to use them. He is authorized to know where they are, but cannot access the info without needing to know)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The cool jobs find you

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Harry Reid claimed he wasn't able to get access to information about UFOs the Pentagon has. Maybe the house intelligence oversight committee?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Log082 posted:

the thing about the delonge rambling is he was 'in the know' when he went on rogan, etc. I think there was a narrow window of time where he was knowledgeable about what was going on (in his own hairbrained & dis/misinformed way) but before they leashed him. He is the epitome of an unreliable narrator, but its given to you raw.

if you mash up his claim of terahertz radiation with the known properties of waveguides, it seems like some things ought to be verifiable. I don't do waveguide design and I suck at pure emag but I've been meaning to spend a few minutes to figure out the ideal size of a waveguide in that frequency range to see if its in the ballpark of the bismuth (1-4 um)/mg (100-200 um?) sandwich material I've seen info on. Most of the stuff I've seen canned calcs for are microwaves and other more useful frequencies so I'm glancing over 1st principle calculations and remembering how much i hated school lol

if you take his claims, and mash it up with something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRGdnvM06M Ning Li's sketchy antigrav work, it seems like there is a missing superconductor in the system we don't know how to make but you can start visualizing the whole theory. superconductors act super funny and nonintuitively, and this would point to leveraging some strange quantum state to avoid gravity or something, idk. based on our experience that these devices require low temps to achieve those crazy behaviors, this would imply the vehicles would likely be cooler than ambient which the FLIR videos support. It is starting to bump into some of the weirdo Pais patents too, although I wouldn't call that a positive haha. If you struggle through her accent and rough technical descriptions (red flag!!) she mentions you need to inject EM energy at the right frequency to interact with nuclear vibration, but claims she's only working with 10^6-10^8 hertz energy which doesn't strike me as very fast compared to delonge's claim.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

if you mash up his claim of terahertz radiation with the known properties of waveguides, it seems like some things ought to be verifiable. I don't do waveguide design and I suck at pure emag but I've been meaning to spend a few minutes to figure out the ideal size of a waveguide in that frequency range to see if its in the ballpark of the bismuth (1-4 um)/mg (100-200 um?) sandwich material I've seen info on. Most of the stuff I've seen canned calcs for are microwaves and other more useful frequencies so I'm glancing over 1st principle calculations and remembering how much i hated school lol

Any more info on the bismuth/mg layered stuff? I don't know poo poo about emag but material structures is my jam.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

dear senator Schumer,

can I have a job working on alien tech plz. I voted deomocrat in 2016 (don’t ask about 2020 lmao) and really like the Mets. also I think you are handsome

ty,

jzsg

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Gumball Gumption posted:

The cool jobs find you

hangar 18 (which is part of the Roswell crash conspiracy) is actually a top secret hangar where weapons research is done. from what I’ve heard most people will work on only a small piece and won’t ever know what others are working on / who else works there.

fairly certain on the off chance aliens existed and we had their tech you wouldn’t know you worked on anything alien while you worked or ever

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

dear senator Schumer,

can I have a job working on alien tech plz. I voted deomocrat in 2016 (don’t ask about 2020 lmao) and really like the Mets. also I think you are handsome

ty,

jzsg

i see we're going to be competing for a job. i don't live in new york but i'm just emailing random senators anyway, my senator sucks

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

dear senator Schumer,

ty,

jzsg

just working directly in the military industrial complex bc someone said I might work with ufos. I bet once I get to 1000 confirmed kills they’ll let me.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
there are too many idiots which makes the material science stuff hard to get info on. everytime someone (ROGAN!! :argh:) claims that lazar must be telling the truth because otherwise, "how would he know about element 115?" i die a little inside.

official site:
https://dpo.tothestarsacademy.com/blog/material-of-interest-magnesium-zinc-bismuth
Info from Linda Moulton Howe:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xwp9z/ufo-researcher-explains-why-she-sold-exotic-metal-to-tom-delonge

depositing thin layers seems totally feasible using sputtering or some kind of spin application based on some other tech ive seen (with very different materials) nothing about the mix or the scale surprises me here or seems otherworldy tbqh. I think this is even the og art's parts material but i may be mistaken.

“if you hit it with enough terahertz, it’ll float.”
Tom saying this, don't care. Tom repeating maj. gen. mccaslin or robert weiss saying so, its a different ballgame even if they are leaking him disinfo

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The secrecy around groom lake is literally no different than secrecy around any other top secret operation/facility but for some reason it is extra super spooky, makes no sense

The real secrecy is how they use mermen to install propellers on nuclear submarines, which is why they will never let you see them being installed or assembled

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
I think instead of applying for a job, file a patent for some ridiculous theoretical weapon. They'll come to you

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

if you’re a true leftist and you want to work in weapons research bc it could possibly be alien and the government has started talking about the theories recently - I want you to really look at the cause and effect of what you’re doing and ask yourself - is this what they want, is this why they have decided to start talking about it?

personally I think in the style of 1984 maybe we can just always be at war with some alien species that we never see because they have cloaking. I can’t think of a better way to get more humans involved in the military than the scare of an extraterrestrial species come to wipe out humanity

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

The secrecy around groom lake is literally no different than secrecy around any other top secret operation/facility but for some reason it is extra super spooky, makes no sense

The real secrecy is how they use mermen to install propellers on nuclear submarines, which is why they will never let you see them being installed or assembled

yep as I mentioned above about hangar 18 - if you are on the base and drive by it it’s covered in guard towers with machine guns and the signs on the fence say if you jump over this fence you will be fired upon. something be a secret doesn’t mean it’s a fun sci fi romp

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Delta-Wye posted:

there are too many idiots which makes the material science stuff hard to get info on. everytime someone (ROGAN!! :argh:) claims that lazar must be telling the truth because otherwise, "how would he know about element 115?" i die a little inside.

official site:
https://dpo.tothestarsacademy.com/blog/material-of-interest-magnesium-zinc-bismuth
Info from Linda Moulton Howe:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xwp9z/ufo-researcher-explains-why-she-sold-exotic-metal-to-tom-delonge

depositing thin layers seems totally feasible using sputtering or some kind of spin application based on some other tech ive seen (with very different materials) nothing about the mix or the scale surprises me here or seems otherworldy tbqh. I think this is even the og art's parts material but i may be mistaken.

“if you hit it with enough terahertz, it’ll float.”
Tom saying this, don't care. Tom repeating maj. gen. mccaslin or robert weiss saying so, its a different ballgame even if they are leaking him disinfo

Lmao yeah ok, show me a free body diagram explaining how shooting this waveguide with a laser pointer (terahertz radiation!!) causes an anomalous force

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Yeah, none of the info there is particularly exciting. Layered structures get made all the time by deposition or other methods. Admittedly I haven't dealt with that specific combo but none of the claims they make about it are exciting except for the one that's literally unbelievable.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Log082 posted:

Yeah, none of the info there is particularly exciting. Layered structures get made all the time by deposition or other methods. Admittedly I haven't dealt with that specific combo but none of the claims they make about it are exciting except for the one that's literally unbelievable.

if its literally the same stuff, art bell was talking about this poo poo in the 90s and if it did what was described, someone would have noticed by now imho.

Justin Tyme posted:

Lmao yeah ok, show me a free body diagram explaining how shooting this waveguide with a laser pointer (terahertz radiation!!) causes an anomalous force

sure, of course, this stuff is all fake - vote 1 and move on, close the thread, etc.

actually discussing it, the argument goes spinning your superconductor and injecting a significant amount of energy in high frequency (number ive seen are tens of kw at 100s of mhz) provides exotic behavior. quite frankly the meissner effect looks awfully exotic to me and i have a hard time discounting this without a better understanding of the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyOtIsnG71U&t=230s

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Vomik posted:

yep as I mentioned above about hangar 18 - if you are on the base and drive by it it’s covered in guard towers with machine guns and the signs on the fence say if you jump over this fence you will be fired upon. something be a secret doesn’t mean it’s a fun sci fi romp

I have a family member that worked in some capacity guarding nukes. He said that you're basically hosed if you're by yourself in certain areas. You're not allowed to be alone

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I suspect if senators could get people cool jobs in aliens research then all the cool jobs in aliens research would be occupied by senator's dumbshit grandkids

(this may explain why we're still struggling with Alien Alloys and Laser Weapons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Introducing the head of the US ufo reverse engineering project, Robby Mook.