Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thumper57 posted:

My favorite thing in TLG was when you've exhausted the room you're in and you see a perch overhead so you climb up and do the potty dance and point at it and Trico looks up and chuffs and sits down. You try this a few times to no result, so you assume you missed something and need to find another way. You pixel-bitch for 10 minutes trying to find a hole or a climbable handhold or something but really can't. You decide to climb up on Trico to get a different vantage point and he immediately leaps to the perch.

Ah, I say, just like having a real cat.

i had a yellow lab growing up who once gave himself a bloody nose by running full-tilt into a tree, which made one part of TLG very resonant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

i had a yellow lab growing up who once gave himself a bloody nose by running full-tilt into a tree, which made one part of TLG very resonant

In the stream today we had the part you’re talking about I think. Trico’s such a dumbass lmao. But also so smart and loveable and good!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m pretty hyped to see how expansive / developer underwater exploration/combat is.

The whole half sunken city ruins thing looks like extremely my poo poo.

The little teaser with the skyscraper that pans down to the water like “but look there is so much more” ticks a lot of the right boxes for me.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Underwater combat is my biggest concern with HFW. I don't think I've ever played a game where that hasn't been an absolute drag, beginning with the nightmare that is TMNT on NES

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Usually I like it when underwater stuff is more exploration heavy with combat being secondary. I trust GG enough that I'm sure they won't have some terrible underwater combat that is constantly bombarding you with bad enemy encounters . Although I am sure there will be some big rear end underwater monsters to fight or else what's the point.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just played through The Descent and Ground Zero in TLoU2 right before bed and now I'm too wired to sleep. Goddamn what a fantastic game this is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Fuckin hell yes wait until the finale

:worship: :cry: :worship: :cry:

veni veni veni posted:

The last 2 or so hours of TLG is one of the greatest things in video game history.

Amen. And it's entirely predicated on the players' extremely nuanced and rather gradual relationship building, thematically and mechanically. Trico going from mostly ignoring you early on to being functionally simpatico is game design/programming on another level, a boutique sleight of hand no other dev has achieved.

Bardeh posted:

I just played through The Descent and Ground Zero in TLoU2 right before bed and now I'm too wired to sleep. Goddamn what a fantastic game this is.

:yeah:

Insane level design!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m sad that my “you and Trico switched brains when the lightning hit and that’s why you move so awkwardly” troll wasn’t acknowledged

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Just finished playing another couple of hours of Last Guardian and goodness I could not be more enamoured with this game. It is such a refreshing change from the seksouls that has been taking up my time and Trico is one of gamings greatest characters hands down.

Wonder where it will feature in my GOTY list compared to the five from games. Very interesting to see how my list is going to be :)

Yo veeg I know you have your game schedule figured out but I'm gonna suggest that you put a game between TLOU and 2LOU just because of how heavy and emotionally stressful they are. Whether that means you play TLOU next and then onto DeS and 2LOU, or DeS next and then TLOU >>> [some other game] >>> 2LOU, either way, but I think playing TLOU back to back with 2LOU is gonna be rough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nice av :cool:

I just rewatched the ending of TLG (don't worry VG zero spoilers in this post) and it made me think about how unique TLG is in how it approaches cutscenes/story telling. It just got me thinking about it because the player was clearly on their first run and didn't know what to do, and it was interesting to see how they approached things differently than I did.

There's maybe 3(?) parts in the game that are just flat out cutscenes. Like, at least our general idea of a cutscene where the game cuts to a movie for a bit. Most of the time there is some level of interactivity that can make each players experience a bit different. There's scenes throughout the whole game that are basically cutscenes but you rarely lose complete control so it can allow for little nuances that make the game feel more personal and like a story you are experiencing instead of watching.

it can lead to stuff like this, which I found hilarious but really annoyed some people for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5zHVFPiqvE

But it also can really add to the game in little ways. It's also really enhanced by how cool the physics can be in TLG. I had a few moments where I was just like "what? That was amazing" in regards to totally unscripted interactions that can happen.

TLDR, awesome game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thanks for the idea, dude, you the best. Don't get too comfy tho, I'm sure it'll be gone in a minute :lol:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you find out who is buying those horrible marvel avs lmk and I'll dump my garbage on their lawn.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My sympathy for BP’s avatar situation depends largely on whether he’s just talking about hating Marvel movies or actually doing that whole gross-rear end “Black Panther is a CIA psyop” poo poo CD love to repeat over and over

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Every american movie is a cia psyop

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Keeping the servers running through BP's avatar changes alone

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I think tlou and tlou2 work well with space in between them also. Going tlou > demons souls > tlou2 is like, a fantastic run of games. Demons isn’t especially long either if you don’t want a fully upgraded weapon too.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Every american movie is a cia psyop

they’re all attempts to get people to forget about Aiden Gillen as that awkward cia agent in the batman movie

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Wow, playing the forest with my old school friends has been some of the most fun I've had gaming in years. The survival mechanics are fun, it's janky in a reasonably entertaining way, but It's spooky and intriguing enough to make exploration fun and rewarding.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MechaSeinfeld posted:

they’re all attempts to get people to forget about Aiden Gillen as that awkward cia agent in the batman movie

You’re a big guy

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You’re a big guy

[inaudible]

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

el oso posted:

Underwater combat is my biggest concern with HFW. I don't think I've ever played a game where that hasn't been an absolute drag, beginning with the nightmare that is TMNT on NES

The majority of my problem with anything underwater is the constant time pressure of your air running out. The game is telling me ok, as soon as you're in this environment we want you out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

At least aloy has the jedi breathing thing from phantom menace when she swims in the footage shown so far so o2 shouldnt be a factor

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

Does that new Virtua Fighter game have dress-up and if so how deep are the dress-up options?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Seymour Buttz posted:

Does that new Virtua Fighter game have dress-up and if so how deep are the dress-up options?

Nobody knows yet but I’d be surprised if it had it. considering they redid all the character models, I can’t see them redoing the jillions of costume parts for their “extremely focused on tournament play” rerelease.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real hurthling! posted:

At least aloy has the jedi breathing thing from phantom menace when she swims in the footage shown so far so o2 shouldnt be a factor

That's what I'm hoping as well but I'm not holding my breath.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe I have just changed or something, but I'm not finding grounded very fun in TLOU2. I like these games to be a challenge, but honestly this is just loving annoying and idg why I can't just turn it off, and then just not get the trophy, because I am a few hours deep now and kind of just want to switch to hard or survivor . this mode is making me loving hate dina lol. She's always in the way or ruining my stealth approach.

Idgi I loved grounded in TLOU1 but this is just rubbing me the wrong way. I'm gonna give it a little longer but I think I might skip grounded this time around.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Stop caring about trophies. They're stupid and now you don't even get exclusive themes for platinum

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play things because I want to. If I even try to get a trophy trophy on purpose, it's rare, and because it sounds fun to get. I have a whopping 5 plats out of the hundreds of games I have played. Also I can care about whatever I want to.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I play things because I want to. If I even try to get a trophy trophy on purpose, it's rare, and because it sounds fun to get. I have a whopping 5 plats out of the hundreds of games I have played. Also I can care about whatever I want to.

It appears you aren't having fun tho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe I have just changed or something, but I'm not finding grounded very fun in TLOU2. I like these games to be a challenge, but honestly this is just loving annoying and idg why I can't just turn it off, and then just not get the trophy, because I am a few hours deep now and kind of just want to switch to hard or survivor . this mode is making me loving hate dina lol. She's always in the way or ruining my stealth approach.

Idgi I loved grounded in TLOU1 but this is just rubbing me the wrong way. I'm gonna give it a little longer but I think I might skip grounded this time around.

Tlou2 becomes way better once you beat it and play the encounter select mode so you can just do the human arenas

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It appears you aren't having fun tho.

Yes? that is what I stated in my post. I'm playing grounded because I enjoyed it in the first game. Not because I care about a trophy. That is something you just assumed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Stop caring about trophies. They're stupid and now you don't even get exclusive themes for platinum

I will never not care about trophies. I won't kill myself trying to get them (I will likely never get the Returnal collectibles and Re8 S Rank Mercenaries trophies), but I will always try to get them.i don't give a shot how broken my brain is. Getting a platinum is so satisfying, like 100%ing a game used to be.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Yes? that is what I stated in my post. I'm playing grounded because I enjoyed it in the first game. Not because I care about a trophy. That is something you just assumed.

My bad. I misinterpreted that.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Lobok posted:

That's what I'm hoping as well but I'm not holding my breath.

I see you

*tickle tickle tickle*

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

VideoGames posted:

Just finished playing another couple of hours of Last Guardian and goodness I could not be more enamoured with this game. It is such a refreshing change from the seksouls that has been taking up my time and Trico is one of gamings greatest characters hands down.

Wonder where it will feature in my GOTY list compared to the five from games. Very interesting to see how my list is going to be :)

it has to be either:

1. TLG
2-6. The from games

or vice versa because i have no idea how you would even come close to defining a rubric where those groups of games could be compared/contrasted such that you could squeeze TLG in between somewhere

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Game Pro actually already nailed it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The fifth face 'fun factor'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

My bad. I misinterpreted that.

No prob.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

The Walrus posted:

The fifth face 'fun factor'

ooooooh ok. so it goes:

1. sekiro/bloodborne
3. dark souls 2
4. dark souls 3
5. dark souls 1
6. demons souls
7. kings field (???)
8. TLG

there are extra items because i dont know which 5 from games VG played this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

My sympathy for BP’s avatar situation depends largely on whether he’s just talking about hating Marvel movies or actually doing that whole gross-rear end “Black Panther is a CIA psyop” poo poo CD love to repeat over and over

I don't want sympathy! I think it's funny. Also I poo poo on all of Disney, no exceptions.

Many studio films are ops, it's been that way for 80+ years, there's a ton of lit about it. There's not really any excuse for ignorance on this point. :blastu: