Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The first wave of Warhammer animations coming soon.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/22/warhammer-animation-preview-online-watch-the-first-five-minutes-of-angels-of-death/

And the first five minutes of Angels of Death looks GREAT.

I'll be honest, I won't give a poo poo until a couple of these are out and are actually good.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
There is no way that they'll have enough content out to warrant a sub.

Unless they are going Amazon prime and offer some discounts (lol GW)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So these animations are by paid subscription? Do they really have enough content to justify that?

This was really worth it to have all the youtube animators scooped up, wasn't it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 23, 2021

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My understanding is the animations are a small part of the subscription and the majority of it is really going to be focused on tabletop stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still doesn't seem like enough to carry an entire subscription service when there are warhammer hobby videos on youtube.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Huron Blackheart can do the same while also being a Ballin pirate.

Ultramarine geneseed finally produces a compelling and effective character……for chaos.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Zasze posted:

Ultramarine geneseed finally produces a compelling and effective character……for chaos.

Hurons extremely hosed up though and basically can't do too much beside run his pirate empire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm rereading The Headstone and the Hammerstone Kings in the first Sabbat Worlds Anthology and Matthew Farrer slipped a Queen reference in there.

Sabbat Worlds Pg 92 posted:

muttering lines from the Militant Pilgrim's Prayer.

'And another struck down, and another, and let each be dust beneath that righteous tread...'

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I love it when music references get snuck in like that. Feels much classier than other pop culture for some reason

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

just finished first heretic and I really liked it. haven't read any other horus heresy stuff but I love the Word Bearers so figured I'd better read this.

were ingethels reveals meant to be true? I never know what to believe with chaos. Thinking specifically about the notion that the emperor made a deal with chaos to power up the primarchs and then reneged. The fact that argel tal was somehow able to go back in time and affect reality due to a vision makes me not really sure what to think.

The book does such an incredible job of humanizing Chaos. lorgar didn't set out to fight his brothers and never really seems to make an unredeemable choice, he just wants to figure out why his dad is lying to him. the one thing I didn't understand was what drove Horus to rebel, seems like it just kind of happened off screen.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the one thing I didn't understand was what drove Horus to rebel, seems like it just kind of happened off screen.

This is covered in detail by the opening trilogy of the Horus Heresy. It involves lots of Chaos fuckery by Erebus.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

just finished first heretic and I really liked it. haven't read any other horus heresy stuff but I love the Word Bearers so figured I'd better read this.

were ingethels reveals meant to be true? I never know what to believe with chaos. Thinking specifically about the notion that the emperor made a deal with chaos to power up the primarchs and then reneged. The fact that argel tal was somehow able to go back in time and affect reality due to a vision makes me not really sure what to think.

The book does such an incredible job of humanizing Chaos. lorgar didn't set out to fight his brothers and never really seems to make an unredeemable choice, he just wants to figure out why his dad is lying to him. the one thing I didn't understand was what drove Horus to rebel, seems like it just kind of happened off screen.

Ingethel was a liar, like all daemons, presenting a lie to both Lorgar and Argel Tal (Argel Tal did not actually cause the primarchs to scatter, it was Erda). This should have been clear from when Ingethel showed Argel Tal a vision of the Eldar being massacred by Chaos and told him "this is because they didn't Chaos hard enough."

it's clear from later in the series that the Emperor made use of a gate on the planet Molech to travel to the warp and harness warp power for His Primarch Project, but it's unclear to what extent this was "making a deal with the Chaos Gods" versus just "traveling into the Warp for knowledge and power of warpcraft," and the Chaos Gods are self-serving liars who see the Warp as their dominion even though they are creations of it rather than the other way around.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I re read Petinent on the plane and I wonder if the great rift was Abaddon destroying Pandemonium considering its never been mentioned before. Could do a cool whole alt setting and tell that story without upsetting the future timeline of Guillman doing stuff

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

They may have something to do with each other, they may not.

In the current canon, the Great Rift finally tore open when Abbaddon destroyed Cadia, which was the culmination of his grand strategy to destroy the Necron pylon network and unleash the Warp on the galaxy.

I have my own crackpot theory about the Black Legion and the Crimson Path.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

You need to read betrayer next if nothing else.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Read Know no Fear next, then Betrayer. They're an effective sub-trilogy within the greater HH storyline.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ingethel was a liar, like all daemons, presenting a lie to both Lorgar and Argel Tal (Argel Tal did not actually cause the primarchs to scatter, it was Erda). This should have been clear from when Ingethel showed Argel Tal a vision of the Eldar being massacred by Chaos and told him "this is because they didn't Chaos hard enough."

it's clear from later in the series that the Emperor made use of a gate on the planet Molech to travel to the warp and harness warp power for His Primarch Project, but it's unclear to what extent this was "making a deal with the Chaos Gods" versus just "traveling into the Warp for knowledge and power of warpcraft," and the Chaos Gods are self-serving liars who see the Warp as their dominion even though they are creations of it rather than the other way around.

The way Fabius Bile sees demons and the "Gods" I don't think the Emperor would look at it all much differently. Why would he make deals with roiling madness and nonsense?

Demons and the chaos gods themselves call Big E 'Anathema'. It's a pretty loaded word.
In Master of Mankind when he shows up in the webway like the rising sun and scorches the place igniting demons like kindling. Obviously through the portal on Molech he had a fight on his hands and chaos learned they needed to throw the demon of the first murder at him for the next time. But for sure he did not have a chat and trials like Horus was duped into.

And for speculation on how things are shaping out with the Emperor currently... I would like to see in a future piece is a resolution to the Emperor telling Corax on his vendetta on Lorgar, 'Vengeance is mine and mine alone.' or something similar to really cement the embrace of Godhood.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Read Know no Fear next, then Betrayer. They're an effective sub-trilogy within the greater HH storyline.

Aurelian, Know no Fear, and then Betrayer.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ingethel wasn't a daemon at the start, just some rando cultist who was very convincing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still doesn't seem like enough to carry an entire subscription service when there are warhammer hobby videos on youtube.

I mean I don't disagree but also I would pay $99 for one episode of Astartes per month

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

D-Pad posted:

I mean I don't disagree but also I would pay $99 for one episode of Astartes per month

I'd rather pay that to the creator via patreon than to pay GW.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If they want to be a netflix of 40k content the sound of foot steps and a bunch of voice clips doesn't have me reaching for my wallet.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd rather pay that to the creator via patreon than to pay GW.

And at least with patreon artists do public release content for the plebs.

e;

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 23, 2021

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

There's a novella that is a direct follow-up to The First Heretic. It's called 'Aurelian'. Pretty sure you can get it separately as an audiobook, but to get it in paper form I think you have to buy the Eye of Terra HH compilation.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

Did the new management somehow find the old managements barrel of brain worms?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Folks who recommended Titandeath, thank you. Made Mortis much better and stood by itself as a very fun book. Getting to see a Daemon Titan from the inside was great.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I would assume they would be combining black library audio book content in the service and maybe even ebooks? otherwise it would be very stupid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dingo with a joint posted:

There's a novella that is a direct follow-up to The First Heretic. It's called 'Aurelian'. Pretty sure you can get it separately as an audiobook, but to get it in paper form I think you have to buy the Eye of Terra HH compilation.
You can get it in the hardback collection partwork IIRC.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just finished The Hollow Mountain and have moved onto Avenging Son. I have really enjoyed Chris Wraight's recent 40k work. Both Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne were great.

With Godblight coming out pretty soon, will I be okay jumping straight into the new book, or were the retcons of Plague Wars extensive enough to warrant a re-read?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gunder posted:

Just finished The Hollow Mountain and have moved onto Avenging Son. I have really enjoyed Chris Wraight's recent 40k work. Both Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne were great.

With Godblight coming out pretty soon, will I be okay jumping straight into the new book, or were the retcons of Plague Wars extensive enough to warrant a re-read?

Guy Haley says that as long as you keep in mind the slight time period change, you're fine to just dig into the new one.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
what ever happened to all the wulfen coming back? that's just currently dropped isn't it? the whole warzone fenris deal and the return of the 1st company or whatever

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

what ever happened to all the wulfen coming back? that's just currently dropped isn't it? the whole warzone fenris deal and the return of the 1st company or whatever

Current canon in regards to cadia is kinda hosed, in the new take on the 13th black crusade I don’t think Ragnar blackmane was even at cadia anymore and therefore maybe didn’t even bump into the 13th company in tgey way it was originally told? It’s hard to say what’s still canon here other than the vague the space wolves found wolfen being led by 13th company veterans and they have been popping up and then vanishing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Were/are (human) perpetuals a thing in Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

Were/are (human) perpetuals a thing in Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar?

Well, there's always drachenfels, he almost kinda counts?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Got my reply from black library re: dark imperium and plague war.

They are whole new products and you will have to buy them again.

Lovely.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Remind me, what was the changes with the Plague War/Dark Imperium stuff? Is is it just retconning the dates it happened.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Deptfordx posted:

Remind me, what was the changes with the Plague War/Dark Imperium stuff? Is is it just retconning the dates it happened.

No idea, might just be that but could be more.

I am not paying the best part of 20 quid to find out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Deptfordx posted:

IIRC it's literally just moving the timeline from the end of the indomitus crusade to the first victory of the crusade

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC it's literally just moving the timeline from the end of the indomitus crusade to the first victory of the crusade

Re: my hazy memory of both books?

It's been a while but my memory is that.. Dark Imperium he's going around shaking everyones hands wishing them good luck on running Terra and basically is 'welp im outtie ive got a crusade to run for papa' and then Plague War was bumping into that evil primarch dude Morty on some rando world who puts up ridiculous wooden death towers - oh no, not wood - and somehow the reader is supposed to be all anxious about it and Guilliman basically confronts a huge pile of chaos plague greater demon lord guys and as soon as they seen the flaming sword they poo poo their pants and tell Morty good luck and go warp home.

The timeline truly made no difference. Dark Imperium I really enjoyed, Plague War I thought could go on the pile of worst 40k trash ever written.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I know Guy Haleys latest offering will disappoint me but I also know I will buy it, I think I have a problem