Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's so insane to me Mark Waid was never given a regular Superman series, either the self-titled or Action.

Well, Didio was a major part of that for what, 15 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It's so insane to me Mark Waid was never given a regular Superman series, either the self-titled or Action.

I thought I'd read that was his punishment from DC editorial for being part of the Superman 2000 pitch, which management interpreted as Waid and friends trying to steal other people's jobs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

That's Superman: Birthright by Mark Waid.

Was that the one in which Superman was written as a vegetarian because he could perceive some sort of aura from all living things?

I honestly don't remember which Superman story that was in, but I thought that was sort of nice and fit well with the kindness of Superman in his best stories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

Was that the one in which Superman was written as a vegetarian because he could perceive some sort of aura from all living things?

I honestly don't remember which Superman story that was in, but I thought that was sort of nice and fit well with the kindness of Superman in his best stories.

Yeah that was the one. It was kind of a weird idea that even the book itself didn't really go into that much.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going through the core Marvel reading list as stated on CRMO (Though I am leaving some titles out for now) and I'm up to the mid 80s. Is it worth reading through Power Pack (1984)? I've never been a fan of the title so I've never given it a chance and don't know if I'm missing out something good. Thanks.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bessantj posted:

I'm going through the core Marvel reading list as stated on CRMO (Though I am leaving some titles out for now) and I'm up to the mid 80s. Is it worth reading through Power Pack (1984)? I've never been a fan of the title so I've never given it a chance and don't know if I'm missing out something good. Thanks.

I'm also (re-)reading some 80s Marvels following a different thread, which refreshed my memory of this particular Bullpen Bulletins entry:

You can take that with the usual grain of salt, but I think there's a core of truth there as I remember reading interviews with other pros who had good things to say about it.

It's been years since I read it, but if you like the stories and plotting Louise Simonson was doing around this time, you might as well read the first, what, five issues or so?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, that's a good point won't hurt to go through the first few issues. Thanks for the info.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Yeah that was the one. It was kind of a weird idea that even the book itself didn't really go into that much.

He borrowed it from one of Elliot S! Maggin's novels, don't recall which at the moment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Claytor posted:

I thought I'd read that was his punishment from DC editorial for being part of the Superman 2000 pitch, which management interpreted as Waid and friends trying to steal other people's jobs.
Jesus christ management in entertainment is just brain-dead across the board, isn't it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bessantj posted:

Yeah, that's a good point won't hurt to go through the first few issues. Thanks for the info.

Power Pack is fun, especially early going, but I do warn if you're using Marvel Unlimited it's missing great chunks.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Power Pack is fun, especially early going, but I do warn if you're using Marvel Unlimited it's missing great chunks.

Yeah a few titles are. I'm currently around 1983/4 and there are large gaps in Daredevil, Dazzler, Doctor Strange, Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man, Power Man and Iron Fist and a few other titles. However, they do seem to have the majority of the titles that I'm interested in the most such as The Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, New Mutants, Incredible Hulk etc... so I'm alright with what they have. I don't feel I'm missing much. Just got done with Secret Wars and it was very entertaining.

There have been 3 secret wars do the DC "Crisis" crossovers have more? Are there any other crossovers that have more title repeat/sequels?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The original "Crisis" at DC was a follow up to "Flash of Two Worlds", the book that established the Earth-One/Earth-Two multiverse.

1963 saw "Crisis of Two Worlds", then pretty much annually DC did "Crisis on Earth-Three", "Crisis on Earth-A", "Crisis Between Earth-One and Earth-Two", "The Super-Crisis of Earth-Two", "The Negative-Crisis of Earths-One and Two", etc. At some point they stopped using "Crisis" in the actual issue titles but the annual multiverse issues were colloquially referred to (and eventually collected in trades by DC) as "Crisis on Multiple Earths".

"Crisis on Infinite Earths" was similarly named as an homage to those stories, as it was meant to close off the DC Multiverse. Since then they've done Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, and Heroes in Crisis as events, only some of which were multiverse-style Crises, but all were 'branding' themselves to the "Crisis" name. It is probably the winner for "most recycled name", though also the majority of the stories from 1963-present with "Crisis" in the title at least imply some sort of multiversal/universe-altering hijinks, which gives more of a continuous thread between the stories than the various recycled "Secret War" or "Heroes Reborn" stories. The closest parallel I can think of is Marvel going back to the Age Of well (Age of Apocalypse, Age of X, Age of X-Man) repeatedly to indicate an alternate timeline in a mutant story. There's also been Days of Future Past, Days of Future Present, Days of Future Yet to Come, Days of Future Tense, and probably some other ones I'm blanking on, but those are all like short story arcs, not 'events'.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

it's a bummer that Marvel Unlimited is still missing the same chunks of runs it was missing when I last used it five years ago

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It felt like Waid deciding that Superman should be a vegetarian but wanted to add a comic-booky technobabble reason that would make it less controversial.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

The original "Crisis" at DC was a follow up to "Flash of Two Worlds", the book that established the Earth-One/Earth-Two multiverse.

1963 saw "Crisis of Two Worlds", then pretty much annually DC did "Crisis on Earth-Three", "Crisis on Earth-A", "Crisis Between Earth-One and Earth-Two", "The Super-Crisis of Earth-Two", "The Negative-Crisis of Earths-One and Two", etc. At some point they stopped using "Crisis" in the actual issue titles but the annual multiverse issues were colloquially referred to (and eventually collected in trades by DC) as "Crisis on Multiple Earths".

"Crisis on Infinite Earths" was similarly named as an homage to those stories, as it was meant to close off the DC Multiverse. Since then they've done Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time, Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, and Heroes in Crisis as events, only some of which were multiverse-style Crises, but all were 'branding' themselves to the "Crisis" name. It is probably the winner for "most recycled name", though also the majority of the stories from 1963-present with "Crisis" in the title at least imply some sort of multiversal/universe-altering hijinks, which gives more of a continuous thread between the stories than the various recycled "Secret War" or "Heroes Reborn" stories. The closest parallel I can think of is Marvel going back to the Age Of well (Age of Apocalypse, Age of X, Age of X-Man) repeatedly to indicate an alternate timeline in a mutant story. There's also been Days of Future Past, Days of Future Present, Days of Future Yet to Come, Days of Future Tense, and probably some other ones I'm blanking on, but those are all like short story arcs, not 'events'.

That's a cool run down thank you. I read an Uncanny X-Men issue recently titled "The Past of Future Days." which was a pretty cool issue. Had the introduction of Forge and a continuation of Rachel Summers.

Karma Tornado posted:

it's a bummer that Marvel Unlimited is still missing the same chunks of runs it was missing when I last used it five years ago

They would usually add blocks of past issues from various titles each week, but they seem to have stopped that which is disappointing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karma Tornado posted:

Yeah, the updates of new issues used to run along at a fairly nice clip but I think it's kinda fallen off pretty hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superman can't be a vegetarian because his favorite meal is beef boogeryawn with ketchup.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Do the missing chunks of Marvel Unlimited have anything to do with Rom and the Dire Wraith invasion of Earth? Those events touched way more books than I would have originally imagined.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Reading late 90s and early 00s X-Men and there's just chunks of, like, Cable missing. Was reading The Shattering and it feels like the main plot of the crossover happens in a title that isn't on Unlimited at all (it's on comiXology).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe you're lucky and it's missing the chunks where Marvel handed it off to a different writer who went completely off the rails :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Do the missing chunks of Marvel Unlimited have anything to do with Rom and the Dire Wraith invasion of Earth? Those events touched way more books than I would have originally imagined.

Yeah, like Uthor says I don't think so. It's very random where the gaps come in. Like with Power Pack it had nothing to do with Rom, largely coming out after that series was done (although I think there miiiiight have been a mention early on).

ToxicFrog posted:

Maybe you're lucky and it's missing the chunks where Marvel handed it off to a different writer who went completely off the rails :v:

Happily Weezie wrote great chunks of it, although it does start to rotate writers. One was Jon Bogdanove who was an underrated writer in addition to being a talented artist. Also there was Howard Mackie and I'm going to go ahead and assume you could skip those.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 27, 2021

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

I don't think so? This comes up periodically and my understanding is that the only IP that Hasbro owns is "ROM", and there's been some legal action around "Dire Wraiths" that appears to have resolved so that Marvel retains the rights to everything except possibly the "Dire Wraiths" trademark, which wouldn't affect reprinting books that simply [i]mention/i] them; the appearance and backstory of the Dire Wraiths was entirely developed by Marvel, not Hasbro.

As for ROM himself, he only appeared in a handful of non-ROM books, which are largely not on Unlimited, but the list is literally:

Contest of Champions #1
Incredible Hulk #296, #319 (cameo)
Marvel Two-In-One #99
Power Man and Iron Fist #73
Secret Wars II #4
Uncanny X-Men #187 (cameo)
Web of Spider-Man #7 (cameo)
What If? #36

So if any of those books are missing, it's probably ROM. Anything else, who knows?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

If you read Incredible Hulk #296 ROM doesn't appear in character but there are pages that are just text and describes an "alien cyborg."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't think so? This comes up periodically and my understanding is that the only IP that Hasbro owns is "ROM", and there's been some legal action around "Dire Wraiths" that appears to have resolved so that Marvel retains the rights to everything except possibly the "Dire Wraiths" trademark, which wouldn't affect reprinting books that simply [i]mention/i] them; the appearance and backstory of the Dire Wraiths was entirely developed by Marvel, not Hasbro.

As for ROM himself, he only appeared in a handful of non-ROM books, which are largely not on Unlimited, but the list is literally:

Contest of Champions #1
Incredible Hulk #296, #319 (cameo)
Marvel Two-In-One #99
Power Man and Iron Fist #73
Secret Wars II #4
Uncanny X-Men #187 (cameo)
Web of Spider-Man #7 (cameo)
What If? #36

So if any of those books are missing, it's probably ROM. Anything else, who knows?

It is odd that no agreement has been done for ROM though, as all 3 parties (IDW, Hasbro, Marvel) seem to have good business relationships

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

I noted that when I read a large block of old issues, they inevitably added another block of related comics about a month later. I am pretty sure I was causing enormous jumps in their algorithms by reading long runs of old comics.

That didn't happen when I went to DC Universe. I should probably resubscribe to Marvel Unlimited since they're so responsive to me. :v:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, this tweaked a memory -- a while ago, I think mid-2020s, I was looking up some stuff about older Marvel comics and ended up at a website (with a predominantly yellow colour scheme, IIRC) where someone was reading (had read?) basically everything Marvel, in chronological order, with plot summaries and reviews of each issue. It wasn't just a reading order guide, although you could use it as one; and in particular it was great for getting an idea of what the gently caress was going on with one of those crossovers from the 80s where you only have one of the three comic lines it involved or the like.

Does anyone have any idea what website I'm talking about here?

E: and of course 30 seconds after posting that I'm able to find it, it was this: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/out-of-scope.shtml

and it's blue, not yellow

wtf, brain

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 27, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

So, this tweaked a memory -- a while ago, I think mid-2020s, I was looking up some stuff about older Marvel comics and ended up at a website (with a predominantly yellow colour scheme, IIRC) where someone was reading (had read?) basically everything Marvel, in chronological order, with plot summaries and reviews of each issue. It wasn't just a reading order guide, although you could use it as one; and in particular it was great for getting an idea of what the gently caress was going on with one of those crossovers from the 80s where you only have one of the three comic lines it involved or the like.

Does anyone have any idea what website I'm talking about here?

https://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/ ?

It's not yellow, but it's otherwise more or less exactly what you're describing, and I don't think there's a lot else as thorough out there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This one has a more complete order with little blurbs about the issues and some reviews and a comments section for each.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Karma Tornado posted:

They've added some big ones. When I was listening to Jay and Miles Xplain the X-Men they mentioned not all of Xtinction Agenda being on Unlimited, but I'd already read it before I got to that episode and they had hall of it. But yeah, they have a lot of stuff missing still.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Skwirl posted:

They've added some big ones. When I was listening to Jay and Miles Xplain the X-Men they mentioned not all of Xtinction Agenda being on Unlimited, but I'd already read it before I got to that episode and they had hall of it. But yeah, they have a lot of stuff missing still.

Gen X and X-Man both are useless with the amount of missing stuff.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is there any reason why some of this stuff is missing?

I can understand certain things like ROM where rights are up in the air because Marvel doesn't own exclusive rights - That makes some sense. But most of these gaps seem to be well before the "current" era of creator owned content.

Is it an issue where Marvel may not own a physical copy of some fairly obscure run that they could scan in the image digitally and publish out? I'm just shooting in the dark, but that seems crazy enough to be possible. I feel like there must be some longbox archive in New York where one copy of each printed story is kept. Maybe not in bound format with all the ads and everything, but that must be a thing in an official capacity somehow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've found stuff for sale on comiXology that's not for reading on Unlimited.

Maybe it's a file format issue and they need to spend the man hours to convert?

Maybe it's buying vs "streaming" rights?

No idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've used :filez: to fill in some gaps before. Marvel should just download those and put them up.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Heh, reminds me of Dave Sim getting sick of people downloading illegal scans before he had hi-res retouched files available for purchase, so he just downloaded the scans himself and put them up for sale at a lower price rate to fill in the gaps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the early days of Netflix streaming they would often put up the crappy rips of shows that were frequently torrented until they had access to quality remasters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Is there any reason why some of this stuff is missing?

I can understand certain things like ROM where rights are up in the air because Marvel doesn't own exclusive rights - That makes some sense. But most of these gaps seem to be well before the "current" era of creator owned content.

Is it an issue where Marvel may not own a physical copy of some fairly obscure run that they could scan in the image digitally and publish out? I'm just shooting in the dark, but that seems crazy enough to be possible. I feel like there must be some longbox archive in New York where one copy of each printed story is kept. Maybe not in bound format with all the ads and everything, but that must be a thing in an official capacity somehow.

First, Marvel's library is huge. Generally they put up about 20-30 back issues a week but when there's tens of thousands missing, it takes a long time to fill in gaps.

There's a throughput problem where they have to do more than just put up scans. They retouch things and add that zoomed in focus flow, too. So they can't really get that much faster.

I would expect nearly everything they add comes from film masters, too, rather than just buying a comic and running it through a scanner. There's no major concerns about getting copies of things.

Marvel used to have a proper comic reference archive, but people kept stealing comics from it. I believe it ended sometime in the 80's.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I recently read Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #100 the story of which continued into Web of Spider-Man #1 and I was wondering when was the first time a story continued in different solo titles for the same character? So for example Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #100 to Web of Spider-Man #1 rather than an issue of Captain America to an issue of Avengers or an issue of Batman then an issue of Justice League.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

I recently read Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #100 the story of which continued into Web of Spider-Man #1 and I was wondering when was the first time a story continued in different solo titles for the same character? So for example Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #100 to Web of Spider-Man #1 rather than an issue of Captain America to an issue of Avengers or an issue of Batman then an issue of Justice League.

Not quite the same but issue 22 (IIRC) of Fantastic Four leads into an early Avengers issue.

But Spider-Man was the first time there was continuity between two solo books for the same character. Superman and Batman had multiple simultaneous series, but even the Sand Superman story which was the first proper long-form story for one of them was only in one book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's an early Spider-Man story where it's snowing for two panels and he says "oh, that was weird" and an editor's not saying to "check out Tales to Astonish" because Thor was dealing with some sort of cask of the eternal winter shenanigans. And I think whichever issue of Fantastic Four Hulk first showed up in was meant to be a continuation of the story happening in the then canceled Hulk book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Not quite the same but issue 22 (IIRC) of Fantastic Four leads into an early Avengers issue.

But Spider-Man was the first time there was continuity between two solo books for the same character. Superman and Batman had multiple simultaneous series, but even the Sand Superman story which was the first proper long-form story for one of them was only in one book.

So it's possible that the Spider-Man books were the first to do it? Hell of a way to get you to buy more books. Thanks.

Skwirl posted:

There's an early Spider-Man story where it's snowing for two panels and he says "oh, that was weird" and an editor's not saying to "check out Tales to Astonish" because Thor was dealing with some sort of cask of the eternal winter shenanigans. And I think whichever issue of Fantastic Four Hulk first showed up in was meant to be a continuation of the story happening in the then canceled Hulk book.

Yes, I read that recently, Surtur having opened the Casket of Ancient Winters on Earth.