Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay I absolutely trounced the first Raidou/Dante fight. Cannot recommend the stacking Dark Might strategy enough, instead of passing turns to get to your buffs/debuffs twice per turn you just attack

Another hot tip for anyone new to the game/series is that the next-to-last ability on the Ice Magatama you get from Forneus (Fog Breath) is the best skill in the game

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably not useful if people are past it. But when you start out spend fifteen minutes grinding pixies in yoyogi park. They pose zero threat and drop chakra drops and revival beads pretty often. Can really save your skin early on.

Also on the off chance someone new to the series is playing. The actual chests you see. Only open them at full moon cycle. The content changes and you always get the best goods on full moon*.

*At least I think so. There's like one or two chests in SMT1 that are better on new moons but I don't think that's true of Nocturne.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Probably not useful if people are past it. But when you start out spend fifteen minutes grinding pixies in yoyogi park. They pose zero threat and drop chakra drops and revival beads pretty often. Can really save your skin early on.

Also on the off chance someone new to the series is playing. The actual chests you see. Only open them at full moon cycle. The content changes and you always get the best goods on full moon*.

*At least I think so. There's like one or two chests in SMT1 that are better on new moons but I don't think that's true of Nocturne.

As an experiment in previous runs I did try to open one or two at NEW and got junk just like any time besides FULL.

If I have one disappointment with the dub, It's Thor. I love Nocturne Thor to death and his voice just doesn't quite impress as deeply as most of the others.

Plus...where is the eeeee-YAAHHHHH?

I wonder if somebody will be able to make a mod to put al the old demon battle voices back in. Or even if it was possible they'd actually do it. Probably not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There's a few of the old sounds I miss just because I remember them so distinctly and it feels weird to get the slightly different version. Like the voice of Lilim/Apsaras casting "WHY"

There's also a very funny new sounds in the Mantra tower in Ikebukuro where if you listen closely you can hear a girl laughing and it's the same sound as the banana faeries in DK64

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

After playing a few hours on Switch I'm convinced I made the right choice. I can't imagine the PS4 version being much of an improvement. The portability far outweighs maybe a slight improvement in resolution that the PS4 would offer. Performance seems fine. I haven't noticed any framerate dips, not that I'm an authority or anything.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i'm still pretty early in nocturne on the switch (handheld) but i haven't noticed anything wrong ingame

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

alright nevermind I clowned him all it took was getting Rakukaja
I was so focused on getting Maragi on Hua Po that I just passed on Rakukaja entirely not realizing what a pain in the rear end I'd invented for myself. I also got rid of Sukunda on the MC for like, Tornado. "Oh, Sukunda will be easy to get, like every demon has the buff and debuffs"

:negative:
IIRC if his Sukukaja stacks aren't at max on his turn he just Red Capotes them back. Granted that's trading one of four actions for one of like two, so it does work out in your favor, just don't expect the debuff to stick.

Spiffster posted:

... with me it’s exacerbated by not having a compendium to register it to. I know it’s coming up but I feel like all the effort in unlocking their skills is wasted if I can’t register them and pass it on. Just got to Ginza at level 13 as well and I Beat the ever loving crap out of the first boss outside the tutorial without being touched (SMT buffs and Debuffs are always fun). I may have issues.

Side questions, I’ve kept the same Magatama equipped since I got it. I have two skills on it that haven’t come out for the MC (counter and an unknown one) does it level skills differently then when I level myself? Should I switch if I haven’t really had any issues?

Second question- is there anyway in the menus to get a drat idea what some of these skills are? I can’t see what they do unless I am in battle and that annoys me. (Playing switch version)

Edit just saw the skill page. Weird it’s not in the status page but ok
IIRC the Magatamas give specific skills on level up if your Demi-Fiend has them equipped at the time and is equal to or higher than the level the Magatama gives that skill at. A Magatama you're about to learn a skill from will start rocking back and forth more and more actively as you get closer to the level of the skill.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My Switch copy arrived in the mail today. I found this in the box.

I was really not expecting any kind of pre-order bonus from the local online retailer. I'll take it though!

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Did it retranslate the game or is it the same translation from the PS2? I remember it sounding kind of stilted.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’m pretty sure it’s been retranslated, some of the lines are different than I remember.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

My Switch copy arrived in the mail today. I found this in the box.

I was really not expecting any kind of pre-order bonus from the local online retailer. I'll take it though!

What is it?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Face mask I think

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s been retranslated, some of the lines are different than I remember.

I think it's been touched up rather than outright retranslated. Some of the lines are significantly different, some are only slightly, and some are exactly the same.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Okay dubbed Hell Biker is absolutely amazing and made me remember “oh right, everything about this demon is loving *dumb* but I love it”

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Demi-jockstrap?

Overminty posted:

Face mask I think
Oh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I got to the Matador fight. :shepicide:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Spermando posted:

Demi-jockstrap?
Oh.

No I think I prefer your answer actually

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Facemask. I figured that would be obvious, but hey I can make other uses of it too now that I've seen some of the suggestions above.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is there a recommended minimum level for the leveling DLC on Nocturne? I went in right as I got to Ginza (like 9 i think on the demifiend, 6-7 on demons) and I'm doing like single digit damage to the monsters there while they do 40-50 of my less than 100 HP per turn. I hadn't ground any beforehand because I thought I'd use the DLC. I'm on Normal.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Mitamas only have like 10hp or something. Doing 1-2 damage is intentional.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Mitamas only have like 10hp or something. Doing 1-2 damage is intentional.

Oh. Guess i should have figured it was a metal slime situation. I just didn't know if like so much else in these sorts of games I was just supposed to intuit that it was for level 25+ or something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think it's been touched up rather than outright retranslated. Some of the lines are significantly different, some are only slightly, and some are exactly the same.

There's definitely some very recent localizations in there.

https://twitter.com/CEOofRufus/status/1397388913757630465?s=19

(I should note I'm fine with this one, because this is exactly how Incubus would talk)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've seen some lines in the main story here and there that felt very different. Isamu especially for some reason.

Like he says 'Lates" to you at Mantra HQ instead of just Later.

And I just finished Amala Temple and, as I suspected, "Any last words before I dunk your rear end?" was not what Isamu said to Hjiri originally.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, there are definitely some lines that have been completely changed, but enough is still similar or identical, I just don't think this was a ground up retranslation. More the original translation where applicable was given a go over, and a glow up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a little weird, honestly. I'm always in favor of localization but injecting modern slang into a game this dated feels very strange.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
demons are just ahead of the times

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Nocturne has 2 of my favorite official artworks for any game

love this poo poo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

every line I've noticed seems good so far

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol the demi fiend is doing that dance from the joker

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Starting a new game of IVA, I just noticed that Nanashi on the cover is mimicking Manabu's trademark stance. A way to remember a fallen comrade.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Did they add a ton of bloom or are my TV settings wrong?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Spermando posted:

Did they add a ton of bloom or are my TV settings wrong?

From some screenshots comparisons that I've seen, they did.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cleretic posted:

There's definitely some very recent localizations in there.

https://twitter.com/CEOofRufus/status/1397388913757630465?s=19

(I should note I'm fine with this one, because this is exactly how Incubus would talk)

This is really weird, that's the Incubus in Yoyogi park who is talking about the woman in the healing room, right? I talked to him and chose both options and I don't remember him saying this to me yesterday

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

RubberLuffy posted:

I have a jigsaw puzzle of this on the wall near my front door, sometimes if I'm going out to do something difficult I touch Mother Harlot for luck since she seems like she's living her best life

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arist posted:

It's a little weird, honestly. I'm always in favor of localization but injecting modern slang into a game this dated feels very strange.

I agree but that might be part of the point? Like it def puts me on tilt a little to see incubus talking about simping but thats probably intentional

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It really bothered me when Pixie turned to me and said “drat this demon is horny on main. I know this is a desert wasteland but this thirst is ridiculous”

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RubberLuffy posted:

love this poo poo

so so good

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Very upset that the Nagatoro guy ruined complaining about contemporary slang in dubs for the rest of us

Also this is the absolute 100% most frustrating thing about this entire game, and if it's driving me nuts I can't imagine how new players feel. You fight an enemy who casts Wing Buffet and War Cry on you and you say "those moves rule, I need this guy on my team" and so you spend money and time recruiting them only to find out those are the last two skills they learn and to start they don't have anything good, so you shove them in your party to level up but leveling up demons takes forever and by the time it pays off they're completely obsolete and you can't pass the skills on. I think if I ever do another playthrough I might pick up the cheat DLC so I can just feed my demons EXP items and keep them at the same level as me

Persona and SMT4 definitely did a lot to fix these isses. Fusion Bursts from social link ranks are a great idea, and SMT4 just fixes the EXP curve so your demons don't have a way lower EXP gain rate than the MC. My level 23 MC is gaining more EXP per fight than a level 14 Inugami, and the game wants me to level this thing up four more times to evolve?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Very upset that the Nagatoro guy ruined complaining about contemporary slang in dubs for the rest of us

Also this is the absolute 100% most frustrating thing about this entire game, and if it's driving me nuts I can't imagine how new players feel. You fight an enemy who casts Wing Buffet and War Cry on you and you say "those moves rule, I need this guy on my team" and so you spend money and time recruiting them only to find out those are the last two skills they learn and to start they don't have anything good, so you shove them in your party to level up but leveling up demons takes forever and by the time it pays off they're completely obsolete and you can't pass the skills on. I think if I ever do another playthrough I might pick up the cheat DLC so I can just feed my demons EXP items and keep them at the same level as me

Persona and SMT4 definitely did a lot to fix these isses. Fusion Bursts from social link ranks are a great idea, and SMT4 just fixes the EXP curve so your demons don't have a way lower EXP gain rate than the MC. My level 23 MC is gaining more EXP per fight than a level 14 Inugami, and the game wants me to level this thing up four more times to evolve?

They really want you to use that Sacrificial Fusion mechanic. It's honestly the only way to gain levels and abilities for your demon in a reasonable amount of time.

But that means you lose 3 demons instead of just 2 and lose three sets of abilities and whatever special properties those demons had.

Negotiating is just a huge pain in he rear end in Nocturne in general.