Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Simone Magus posted:

Maybe a weird question, but anyone know of any management games streamers that are... just funny? Especially city building. Not trying super hard to be funny, just like... generally amusing?

Streams? No. A_Raving_Loon on twitch is an amusing wizard man who calls mechanics by true names. If you find my posting funny, he would be a funny stream.

Imperial_Jedi is my Cities Skylines plug, but also not funny, but he's wholesome Canadian warm milk.

Brothgar brings a manic energy to ONY and Factorio-alikes. Some edited in jokes.

Blackpants Legion does MechWarrior lore, spacestation 13, and rimworld stuffs. He's funny in a way you'd find the mountain man coming into town for the month to pick up supplies and talk Mecha at the Warhammer den.

Hold up, I gotta scroll through my subs. Somebody has to be funny.

Edit: JORBS! Jorbs is a genuinely funny streamer who got his from the online poker days of the late 2000s and got out via Slay the Spire. Also XCOM 2 Longwar, that's hella management right?

39daph is who I watch for all of the survival trapped on an island/raft/submarine type games. Canadian Korean that sometimes steps in the same circles as the Pokimanes and the Offline TVs

Snuffy is the vtuber that has invaded my algorithm. She's a slutty stoner trashpanda that plays Spiro and unboxes pokimon cards.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I've never seen a stream that was funny. All streams are boring as hell. Worse than a baseball game. You need a guy who will record himself playing, edit out the boring parts, and put out a nice video LP highlight reel.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've never seen a stream that was funny. All streams are boring as hell. Worse than a baseball game. You need a guy who will record himself playing, edit out the boring parts, and put out a nice video LP highlight reel.

Yeah, management games especially are just the least comedic in the whole genre. But like the Stellaris memes are p nice.

Gamerzhak, I love the guy. Watching him build a Ceasar 3 map is like watching a clockmaker build a watch gear by gear. There are 3 sensible chuckles in a 4 hour stream. This is a comedy wasteland.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Not really sure if Limmy plays any management but he's the only funny streamer I've encountered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzOUg4ZwCE

Helps that he's a "professional"(?) comedian.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Hub Cat posted:

Floated away like Up

Would have used a parachute but, no fabric :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I find Decoherent funny but it's a very gentle sort of humour based mostly in how he talks to his Rimworld pawns. I feel like 'show me someone funny' is too objective to be really possible.

Except ambiguousamphibian, he's hilarious. Just the way he says 'hello' at the start of his videos tickles me now I've seen a few.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
What are people's thoughts on Railway Empires itt? I'm eyeing both that and Transport Fever 2, and while I have never played that sort of games before (closest thing I have played are city builders rather than this kind of management game) I think the setting and DLC of Railway Empires (in particular France and Japan) appeal more to me than TF2.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

HopperUK posted:

I find Decoherent funny but it's a very gentle sort of humour based mostly in how he talks to his Rimworld pawns. I feel like 'show me someone funny' is too objective to be really possible.

Except ambiguousamphibian, he's hilarious. Just the way he says 'hello' at the start of his videos tickles me now I've seen a few.

I guess it was a tough ask, but yeah at least now I know of AmbiguousAmphibian, the Torsolo Kenshi videos are amazing lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deltasquid posted:

What are people's thoughts on Railway Empires itt? I'm eyeing both that and Transport Fever 2, and while I have never played that sort of games before (closest thing I have played are city builders rather than this kind of management game) I think the setting and DLC of Railway Empires (in particular France and Japan) appeal more to me than TF2.

TF2 obviously has trucks and boats and planes which RE doesn't, so TF2 ends up being closer to a modern Transport Tycoon (if you've ever played that) where you're managing lots of different types of lines. Delivering goods to factories so they can make something out of it and then delivering that thing to cities so the cities can expand is real satisfying. Railway Empire is far more straightforward and less finicky to build efficient lines because they clearly show what signals are doing, and also feels scaled differently (like everything is squished together and the trains aren't to scale). I think for a newcomer Railway Empires is probably the better choice but I have more 'watching a virtual train set haha train goes brrrr' fun with Transport Fever 2.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Oldstench posted:

So they killed themselves?

They have parachutes IIRC.

It’s funny though to imagine people going gently caress this I’m out and being dead serious and yeeting themselves overboard

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Deltasquid posted:

Count me as way preferring Railway Empire over Transport Fever 2, a game I've never been able to get into. TF2 forces you into entire chains before you can make any money and that's a turn off for me, while in RE I can deliver here, there, and everywhere and then put them together as need be. And as you mention it has a lot of international scenarios as DLC as well.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

railway empire feels more like a train puzzle game than a management game i find

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

queeb posted:

railway empire feels more like a train puzzle game than a management game i find

Yeah, I said before I thought it felt sort of like a mobile game - not at all to be condescending to the game - because of how puzzley it feels. I do enjoy both games but they do feel fundamentally pretty different from one another apart from the setting up and managing train lines part of it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Might be an odd request but I thought I'd ask. Is there any management games that combine racing and management? I got Motorsport Manager a while ago and thought itd be cool if there was a game where you do the management side and then can actually do the races yourself. Doesn't have to be F1 racing specifically, can be anything (doesnt even have to be car racing).

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Pretty sure that the Codemasters F1 games (2020 and the 2021 game releasing this summer) have that, though I haven't played them myself. Look into the career modes and "my team" modes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh wow that looks exactly like what I'm looking for, idk why I thought those games were just racing. I think I'm gonna wait until the new one comes out, i have plenty of games to keep me busy until then. Thank you!

Also re: Railway Empire/ TF2 chat. I'm a irl train enthusiast and agree that TF2 is probably the better management game especially if you want a more modern OpenTTD, but RE is vastly superior in terms of the actual trains, train history , train modelling, etc. Def the better choice if you're looking for more of a "model trains but in a computer" game.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Oh wow that looks exactly like what I'm looking for, idk why I thought those games were just racing. I think I'm gonna wait until the new one comes out, i have plenty of games to keep me busy until then. Thank you!

Also re: Railway Empire/ TF2 chat. I'm a irl train enthusiast and agree that TF2 is probably the better management game especially if you want a more modern OpenTTD, but RE is vastly superior in terms of the actual trains, train history , train modelling, etc. Def the better choice if you're looking for more of a "model trains but in a computer" game.

If you have the humble bundle subscription, the newest F1 game was in the march or April bundle.

I know not everyone has the disposable income, but I've just let that service go for a few years, piling up games for me. Half the time the thread says "have you checked out x" I've got a copy of it from the humble bundle sub. Its the best 12/month in gaming IMHO

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah the F1 game’s my team mode seems very nice, although I can’t say I played it for more than a few races. It does a cool job in the intro at least of making it feel neat and immersive. Plus the F1 games, for me, hit a very nice balance of simcade where it’s very tunable to your driving skill and not nearly as punishing as something like iRacing if you’re bad at driving. After a few races I had tuned in the difficulty settings I wanted so that I felt like I could really push and make things happen, but still have a huge challenge to get into a podium. I think the management side is a tad lighter than motorsport manager, but it could definitely scratch the itch.

Still wish we could get a real motorsport manager sequel that’s not a goofy mobile game.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone got an opinion on Odd Realm yet?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone got an opinion on Odd Realm yet?

I've had some fun with it, still feels a bit bare bones but stuff is being added, and a research tree is apparently planned

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Kvlt! posted:

Ive mentioned him itt before but AmbigiousAmphibian genuinely cracks me up.

Simone Magus posted:

Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, this guy is great!!!

HopperUK posted:

Okay yeah I busted out laughing several times over the Kenshi videos especially, something about the way he cuts makes the timing really funny by itself. This guy rules, thanks

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Deltasquid posted:

It's in a bundle atm
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-17

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I am also enjoying the youtube man thank you for the recommendation

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I think the ease of starting out with DSP broke my brain for factory games. Coming back to Factorio intermittently and it's a hell of a lot harder for it to get its "hooks" in than it was last time I played. Youthcat may have some weird choices & some issues with their game, but boy do they get the initial loop a lot more "right" than Factorio does.

... Also just remembered I'm doing railworld and biters are probably just offscreen. I should build my walls next time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DysonProgram/status/1397894844668727298

Well there you go. :hai:

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Yeah, honestly their theme would work much better if instead of combat you had to collect different species to upload to their matrix, so you would have a reason to explore the universe while building random scanning facilities on weird planets.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Gotta protect the plug to our second life server. Humanity NEEDS us to keep the virtual reality up for us to be a Class 3 civilization on par with The Sims Online.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Squiggle posted:

Okay yeah I busted out laughing several times over the Kenshi videos especially, something about the way he cuts makes the timing really funny by itself. This guy rules, thanks

Check out the Crusader Kings videos

"My mom doesn't hate me... she's my spymaster now"

"Okay my daughter is only an albino... moron... that stutters..."

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I like the trend of management games having optional mechanics that you can enable as you like for more or less complexity or challenge, like that DSP announcement or the various difficulty features of Workers and Resources.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Excellent, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New DSP update just hit, looks pretty good! I might start a new game to check out this new stuff.

quote:

Dear engineers,

We have reached the start of Civilization Type III. In the future, the Dyson Sphere Program universe will become even broader because of our joint efforts.

Before we go to the update log, CentreBrain wants to send you some special tips that will affect your game progress:
·Crude oil becomes a consuming resource. The less crude oil remaining in the blowout well, the more difficult it will be to collect. The extraction efficiency can be down to 0.1/s. To keep your extraction efficiency, you can change the resource magnification setting and upgrade the mineral utilization level.
·The Cluster Seeds are different from the old version.
·You need to reopen the file to experience some of the newly added content
·Blueprint is NOT included in this update yet but on the way!

[Version 0.7.18.6914]

Features:
A Brand New Milky Way View- Civilization Type III System
All the engineers are generating ONE galaxy! - Among the engineers using the same star cluster seed, the engineer's universe with the largest power generation will be displayed in the Milky Way.

Added an entrance for Milky Way view. There are two ways to enter it: Click and enter the 'Milky Way' button in the main menu, or scroll to the farthest view in the starmap.
Now you are able to browse the star cluster you selected in the Milky Way view.
Added the statistics of the Milky Way view, including the total number of Dyson spheres, the total power generation of Dyson spheres, and the total number of solar sails launched.
Added functions to the Milky Way view, included cluster data browsing, ranking of each star area in the Milky Way view.

New Assembly Line construction mode – Now you can press [TAB] to switch between 'Snap to Grid' or 'Free line' mode. In 'Free line' mode, you don't have to build the conveyor belt stick to the grid, but like this:

New Mass Construction function! Left-click and drag your mouse can build the construction in a row. The interval among the constructions can be adjusted before the drone works on them.
Now you can quickly replicate the construction along with its SORTERs! Use [Shift+left click] to copy the built building, and the position of the Sorters will be intelligently adapted to the available position.

Now you can cover and quick upgrade in the construction mode.
CPU multi-threading system and related settings are available now. The logic of Sorters, Logistic Stations, Manufacturing Building, Matrix Lab, and Electricity System are incorporated in the multi-threading system.
Added new advanced Smelters and its related new tech and recipes.
Added new technology that can increase the speed of warp. The more you upgrade the tech, the faster the warp!
Added the logic to manually control the warp speed of the mecha
Added 4 new background music themes of space, factory, and ocean

New desert planet: Dry Lack Planet
New desert planet: Scarlet Ice Lake Planet
New desert planet: Hurricane Stone Forest Planet
New ocean planet: Blossom Forest Planet
Added a new terrain generation algorithm for the Scarlet Ice Lake Planet
Added ice shader for Scarlet Ice Lake Planet
Added 9 planting model for Blossom Forest Planet
Decorate the planet with your foundation! Now you can choose a color or customize a color on the palette for the foundation.

Add a new foundation texture
Added LOD1 and LOD2 rendering detail level to the sorter optimized the Sorter's GPU consumption.
Added LOD1 rendering detail level to Storage, optimized the Storage's GPU consumption.
Now you can browse the local file of savedata in the Save/Load interface.

Changes:
Dyson Sphere Program's underlying code framework is fully updated. It is now more efficient on CPU calculating.
Dyson Sphere Program's construction system logistic framework is fully recoded.
Optimized the logic of copy and paste building settings (recipes, filters, mode settings, etc.) to prepare for the BluePrint.
Adjusted and narrow the construction collision frame of the Ray Receiver.

Balance:
Increased the working power of Assembling machine Mk.II and MK.III
Increased the standby power of the Satellite Substation
Increased the working power of the EM-Rail Ejector
Increased basic life of solar sail (0.5h -> 1.5h) and maximum life after upgrade (1h -> 2.5h)
Increased the basic power generation of the Ray Receiver (5MW -> 6MW)
Increased the power generation multiple of the photon mode of the Ray Receiver (5 -> 8). The new maximum power of the Ray Receiver is 240MW
Increased the warm-up time of the Ray receiver (15min -> 20min)
Increased the critical photon energy (750MJ -> 1.2GJ)
Decreased Antimatter fuel rod's energy (7.5GJ -> 7.2GJ) and consume antimatter quantity (10 -> 6)
Decreased Artificial Star power generation 75MW -> 72MW
Fine-tuning the calorific value of various fuels
Crude oil is now a consuming resource. Collecting crude oil will gradually reduce the production of blowout wells down to a minimum of 0.1/s. The rate of decline is now related to the resource magnification setting and mineral utilization level.
Increased the production of crude oil blowout wells in the beginning planet and reduced the production of crude oil blowout wells in distant planets

Bugfix:
Fixed the bug that the Warper were not be returned when the Logistics Station was dismantled
Fixed the bug that the Graviton lens was not be returned when the Ray Receiver was dismantled
Modified the miplevel algorithm of the foundation and fixed some potential seam problems in the foundation rendering.

This is the end of the update log. Thanks for reading and see you next time!

Send feedback in Discord and Google Form!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

The antimatter changes are odd, and throw my math off a lot, but I think they'll make antimatter better than it already was, which is... Neat, I guess.

The oil changes are gonna hurt though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was kind of hoping they'd gently caress with the motor/turbine ratios to make them a bit less punishing. Anyone see what the advanced smelters or new recipes are?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

I was kind of hoping they'd gently caress with the motor/turbine ratios to make them a bit less punishing. Anyone see what the advanced smelters or new recipes are?

Not home right now to check, but Reddit commentary says costs are:

quote:

1x normal smelter
5x frame material
4x plane filter
15x unipolar magnets

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok so that's super late game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They require unipolar magnets? That's impressive. If they're really good that might make the already low supply magnets compete with the container alt recipe.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SettingSun posted:

They require unipolar magnets? That's impressive. If they're really good that might make the already low supply magnets compete with the container alt recipe.

It's "just" 2x smelt speed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anyone give this a shot? https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421710/Epic_Palace__Knossos/

Epic Palace Knossos.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Gonna try Kingdom Builders out on itchio at some point. Pay what you want. https://ebb-and-flow-games.itch.io/kingdom-builders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I've heard of map painting games, but wall painting games is definitely a new one.