Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the banal tedium of a zombie tiger beating the poo poo out of a guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Searing tedium would have been a good name for a the gun club song

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

nonathlon posted:

I wouldn't call it pathetic, but I think volume not quality is their metric. As you say, there's a lot of middling and forgettable stuff that's dressed up to look like prestige TV. Even the things they make a big nose about tend to be so-so in resolution. I've certainly seen good stuff on netflix, but little of it is unmissable. Dark, maybe? Even Narcos is more watchable than great.

remember when the first season of house of cards came out and it was must-see tv? lol

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

mastershakeman posted:

It's insane. What's their best original besides the legitimately good Mosul ?

I really enjoyed I Am Mother.

The Hemsworth action movie was... Fine? It was fine.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

In other “terrible films made by idiots” news

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1397561138263515136

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

RLM review of Army of the Dead makes it sound like a bad Aliens clone

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

prestige tv is a concept that's slowly sinking back into the quicksand of tv production realities, not sure that's specific to netflix.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Falstaff posted:

I really enjoyed I Am Mother.

The Hemsworth action movie was... Fine? It was fine.

i am mother looks cool, thanks. and yeah extraction was completely serviceable.

i dunno, i think i've gone insane because once i got into direct to video isaac florentine & jesse v johnson movies that starred scott adkins, i can see that they put out a way better product, and more cheaply, than all of the netflix stuff. its just that they dont push all their budget onto Big Names that are then underused

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

smellmycheese posted:

In other “terrible films made by idiots” news

https://twitter.com/Collider/status/1397561138263515136

Lucas did a lot of whiplash with his tone and balance between kid-friendly/dark and what he originally wanted to do in the prequels and yet he still kept a plotline consistency.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lucas knew anakin was turning into darth vader we all did that part was never going to change

that abrams was still playing shuffle on deciding what vaguely important person if any was going to be reys parent was a level of bullshitting that would have destroyed his career in its inception if he had ever given anyone the impression that was how he was running lost

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
disney turned the main character into bad comic relief because they second guessed themselves and were afraid they wouldn't make enough money with a confident black man as the lead

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Even if Abrams took what Johnson did with 'Rey came from just nobody important', TROS still would have sucked because holy poo poo the pacing and editing was horrible. It was like Abrams tried to squeeze his idea of VIII and IX into one movie.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Even if Abrams took what Johnson did with 'Rey came from just nobody important', TROS still would have sucked because holy poo poo the pacing and editing was horrible. It was like Abrams tried to squeeze his idea of VIII and IX into one movie.

rise of skywalker opened with history's first, last and only 'last time on this series' montage , that lasted 7 minutes and was not showing any previous scenes but rather what was supposed to happen last time and didn't. its incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7A7m4GFFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYkAgLQ_0eU also lol at that audience reaction

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 18:44 on May 26, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

mastershakeman posted:

rise of skywalker opened with history's first, last and only 'last time on this series' montage , that lasted 7 minutes and was not showing any previous scenes but rather what was supposed to happen last time and didn't. its incredible

Palpatine's message was exclusive to Fortnite.

It feels too bizarre to explain to anyone.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

the lol for me there is the “probably”

we “probably” should have had some sort of loving plan in place for a multi billion dollar cultural touchstone adored by millions around the globe. Probably

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

my wife had no idea palpatine was returning and was just yelling 'what???' at the opening crawl

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

my wife had no idea palpatine was returning and was just yelling 'what???' at the opening crawl

I went in blind and had no clue what was going on.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

How the gently caress do this happen? Just mind meltingly stupid

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I'm still upset that they didn't fight a mecha palpatine, like some kind of lovely 2000's shooter. Would have owned 100x more than what they did

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Still loling at the fact that Colin Trevorrow's version seemed more consistent and they probably pulled him out because they saw too many angry videos online, looked at TFA's box office numbers under Abrams and thought 'Well it can work again, right?'

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

I went in blind and had no clue what was going on.

are you jj abrams??

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

are you jj abrams??

Yes. My dumbass son blew his one chance at being a comic book writer.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Rian Johnson sitting comfy in a limousine hot tub and smoking a cigar while he gets money for Knives Out movies and Abrams left holding the bag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I'm still upset that they didn't fight a mecha palpatine, like some kind of lovely 2000's shooter. Would have owned 100x more than what they did

I remember the Matrix game just rewrote the movie so that Neo fought a Godzilla-sized Agent Smith and beating him meant a happily ever after ending

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I had no idea about this fortnite message! How is this real? What was anyone thinking?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr Hootington posted:

I had no idea about this fortnite message! How is this real? What was anyone thinking?

lmao

the future is now, old man. get with the times , movies are now debuted in battle royale video games

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Rian Johnson sitting comfy in a limousine hot tub and smoking a cigar while he gets money for Knives Out movies and Abrams left holding the bag.

I’m sure JJ is crying into his massive sack of money and wiping his tears with a pay or play contract for the next Superman.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Coming into a Star Trek sequel. "Wait, who is Spock Jr.? He's just here and nobody explains him?" I ask. A zoomer in the seat in front of me turns to me. "Dude! You didn't see the reveal on the Pokimane Twitch stream?!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

lol same

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

KomradeX posted:

RLM review of Army of the Dead makes it sound like a bad Aliens clone

it’s not really an Aliens clone in any sense idk where that comes from. cause the guy wants a zombie head? I mean that’s pretty thin

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

indigi posted:

it’s not really an Aliens clone in any sense idk where that comes from. cause the guy wants a zombie head? I mean that’s pretty thin

it’s not an Aliens clone because Aliens was an excellent action/ horror movie directed by a skilled director and with a coherent script and good actors

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

indigi posted:

Wanting zombie head? What happens in Vegas...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Ir was a very Prequel movie thing to do.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

indigi posted:

In the review it looks like several scenes are almost lifted directly from the movie, only you know worse because James Cameron is a good director. Christ there's evwn been the pictures of that one member of the crew who looks just like Vazquez. It seems to be drawing heavily from the Alien formula. That's the impression I got from the review.

Also the editing was extremely lazy because one of the cameras he used apparently had some dead pixels

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

to be fair to mike & jay, they didn't actually call it a clone, just that there were some similarities, which in part is just from aliens influencing action movie tropes for the past 35 years. but there are definite deliberate cues and homages that snyder put in, like the one lady who dresses like vasquez, tig pulling the helicopter up over the roof, the "you don't see them loving each over" line, etc. more than anything it's clear he used the project as a way to throw in some fun references across the board.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
something gross about Army of the Dead is that Snyder tries to make it look like the zombies are organizing a new rational society based on rape? forced assimilation?

involuntarily becoming a zombie and then getting impregnated by an undead corpse is not a mistakes-into-miracles situation

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Fleetwood posted:

something gross about Army of the Dead is that Snyder tries to make it look like the zombies are organizing a new rational society based on rape? forced assimilation?

involuntarily becoming a zombie and then getting impregnated by an undead corpse is not a mistakes-into-miracles situation

hosed up that he found a way to make a Crossed movie without paying Garth Ennis licensing rights

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

KomradeX posted:

It seems to be drawing heavily from the Alien formula. That's the impression I got from the review.

perhaps you should shut the gently caress up if you haven’t watched the movie lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

indigi posted:

the banal tedium of a zombie tiger beating the poo poo out of a guy

Tbf zac snyder truly does have quite the talent to make something that should be pretty cool absolutely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh there were absolutely Aliens homages (I thought it was more generally Cameron homages than Aliens specifically but some of those shots do line up very well). and I guess if red bandana means she dressed like Vazquez then yeah she did. different hair makeup and accessories but she is Latina and used a gun