Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

But you got stuff like Salamence, who just felt like this big downgrade of a psuedo-legendary coming from Tyranitar. It feels like they just tried to go for "Dragonite, but cooler"

But Salamence is cool as poo poo though???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

Makes a good Cylon Raider, imo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FrozenPhoenix71 posted:

I thought they looked kinda doofy back in the day. They were kinda cool on virtue of being a dragon, and also, not looking like barney like a certain other dragon, but also, dragon/flying felt like kind of a dull typing given we literally had it in a pokemon occupying the samish role.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

HootTheOwl posted:

Appricorns

lol.

Let's talk about the apricorn balls in G/S/C:

Love ball: Supposed to work on opposite gender pokemon, instead only works on same gender pokemon.
Moon ball: Supposed to work on pokemon that evolve via mooonstone, instead works on pokemon that evolve via burn heal.
Fast ball: Supposed to work on pokemon that can flee, instead works on magnemite, grimer, and tangela.
Heavy ball: Supposed to work on heavier pokemon! Kadabra, tauros, and sunflora are the heaviest (only in Crystal). Otherwise, it works on Steelix, I guess?

HootTheOwl posted:

You could've bought every single game and it wouldn't have mattered because some Pokemon not in frlg or Rs would be trapped in gen 2/1

The entire national dex is available between R/S/E/FR/LG/XD/C.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oyster posted:

lol.

Let's talk about the apricorn balls in G/S/C:

Love ball: Supposed to work on opposite gender pokemon, instead only works on same gender pokemon.

Gamefreak said marriage equality

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The story in Gen 5 is neat. Seeing all the gym leaders actively work to stop Team Plasma, be community leaders, and how everyone talks about the pokemon league like it's summer camp is very good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gen 5 providing a totally fresh set of pokemon in B/W was a really cool attempt, and I like it a lot more then R/S/E dropping my favs but leaving in all sorts of lameoids that are hard not to feel like they exist to be fodder/filler?

Like, on some level it's funny because you can look at Gen5 and go "this is just a new flavor of geodude, hitmonchan, hitmonlee..." but it somehow worked for me? It also just felt like they did a bit of a better job with type variety, but that might just be me. B2/W2 bulking the pre-E4 dex up with old pokemon, and starting you out on a whole new part of the map, with a lot of other changes to the world might be like, the most ambitious they were with a sequel game?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That’s a neon pink penis

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Oyster posted:

The entire national dex is available between R/S/E/FR/LG/XD/C.

I don't think this is the quite the defense you're making it out to be.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good thing they're advertising the battle models, and not the duplo people the overworld uses.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s a neon pink penis

Finally, the Pokemon/Bad Dragon cross-promo we've all been waiting for

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Hrist posted:

Good thing they're advertising the battle models, and not the duplo people the overworld uses.

Wish they'd have used the Platinum outfits. In addition to looking 100 times better they had a lot more personality. Sinnoh is supposed to be the cold region so making the characters look at least somewhat appropriately dressed should be a given. Even better would be if they actually redesigned the game like every previous remakes. But everything about BDSP looks zero effort.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The dragons look like they got kicked in the balls

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

The dragons look like they got kicked in the balls

Imagine how different the OG DP would've been if you stopped the dragons by kicking the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs rather than using the Lake Guardians

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s a neon pink penis

Nah, here’s the deal:

https://twitter.com/brihardgaming/status/1397595554490769413?s=21

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Chieves posted:

I don't think this is the quite the defense you're making it out to be.

As in, it requires 7 games and a GBA-GCN adapter to get all of em? I'll agree with that. I *think* only Ho-oh and Lugia are actually gated behind the Gamecube games, but I finished my 3rd gen living dex 5 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy. I know the beasts are available in FRLG, though it's only one per playthrough, and most of the other XD/C exclusives are in the expanded Emerald safari zone (thank god, I accidentally deleted the miltank in Colosseum and did *not* want to play through that again just for a miltank).

But in response to "except for all the pokemon that aren't in 3rd gen" I think that's a decent defense.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s a neon pink penis

Palkia just went up in my estimation

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

galagazombie posted:

Wish they'd have used the Platinum outfits. In addition to looking 100 times better they had a lot more personality. Sinnoh is supposed to be the cold region so making the characters look at least somewhat appropriately dressed should be a given. Even better would be if they actually redesigned the game like every previous remakes. But everything about BDSP looks zero effort.

Kinda hoping they'll have those outfits available for when you go to the snowy area

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheKingofSprings posted:

That’s a neon pink penis

And yet without gender. Just another way Gamefreak was ahead of the curve.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The PWT had better remakes of the Hoenn music than ORAS did.

Also Gen V has the best legendary battle music.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What the gently caress is up with the Volcanic Hide and Seek request in New Pokémon Snap? I summoned a bunch of Charmander, got Charizard to land in front of them and took a picture of the Charmander jumping in celebration with Charizard in the picture. What the gently caress else do you want, game?!?? It already took like ten tries to even set up the loving photo!!!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HootTheOwl posted:

You could've bought every single game and it wouldn't have mattered because some Pokemon not in frlg or Rs would be trapped in gen 2/1

yeah this is factually incorrect. Between Sevii Islands, Emeralds Safari zones and C/XD you can get everything possible in gen 3 in gen 3 games.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

What the gently caress is up with the Volcanic Hide and Seek request in New Pokémon Snap? I summoned a bunch of Charmander, got Charizard to land in front of them and took a picture of the Charmander jumping in celebration with Charizard in the picture. What the gently caress else do you want, game?!?? It already took like ten tries to even set up the loving photo!!!

yeah that one's stupid as hell. I thiiiink you need to also have charizard in frame, and possibly multiple charmander.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mazerunner posted:

yeah that one's stupid as hell. I thiiiink you need to also have charizard in frame, and possibly multiple charmander.

I had like 80% of Charizard in the frame but you probably need 100% ugh I’ve had fairly good luck with most of them after using a guide but this one has been a real pain.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

yeah this is factually incorrect. Between Sevii Islands, Emeralds Safari zones and C/XD you can get everything possible in gen 3 in gen 3 games.

Yeah this is factually incorrect. Between Mew and Celebi you can't get everything in gen 3 in gen 3 games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah this is factually incorrect. Between Mew and Celebi you can't get everything in gen 3 in gen 3 games.

You can get Mew using the Old Sea Chart in Emerald and you can get Celebi from Japanese Pokemon Colosseum.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It’s nice to have some vintage Dexit whining for once.

Aged 19 years. Very fancy.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

You can get Mew using the Old Sea Chart in Emerald and you can get Celebi from Japanese Pokemon Colosseum.

Wasnt Mew an event? I remember not getting mew and other events because they weren't around in Canada and that pissed tween me the gently caress off. :mad:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

You actually can as Twelve by Pies said but also this is such a loving technicality. "Oh you can't get the mythical pokemon in the base games outside of events" is also something that's true for every single loving pokemon gen. You can't get Celebi in Gen 2 without event poo poo nor can you get mew in gen 1 without glitching the game out. You weirdo.

Violet_Sky posted:

Wasnt Mew an event? I remember not getting mew and other events because they weren't around in Canada and that pissed tween me the gently caress off. :mad:

Mew has always been an event only deal. Same deal with the Celebi in Gen 2. It was an event (That was japan only) to get it unlocked. To use it as you crux to show Gen 3 was somehow a step backwards mechanically is just stupid.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 27, 2021

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Violet_Sky posted:

I remember not getting mew and other events because they weren't around in Canada and that pissed tween me the gently caress off. :mad:

God, I remember being so pissed how that one special Regigigas and Arceus were never distributed up here in Gen IV, at least we got Celebi and that Shiny Pichu though

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You could get a Celebi legitimately in Gen II if you were in New York during the one month in 2001 that they were having a promotion at the Pokemon store there but otherwise you had to wait until Gen IV or V to get a Celebi legitimately outside Japan, I forget which.

Celebi was also the worst mythical to deal with as far as in game events because a hacked in Celebi wouldn't count as legit for events involving it in later games. You could hack the Old Sea Chart into Emerald and the game would count that Mew as legitimate since you didn't hack the Pokemon itself in, just the method to obtain it, but Celebi was a massive headache due to no legitimate events.

But yeah acting like not being able to obtain a mythical in Gen 3 that was essentially impossible to obtain in Gen 2 if you lived outside Japan anyway somehow makes Gen 3 inferior is some galaxy brain poo poo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

watching the dragon quest remake trailer(s) and sighing meaningfully in the pokemon company’s direction

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

watching the dragon quest remake trailer(s) and sighing meaningfully in the pokemon company’s direction

The pokemon game I'm most excited for is Monster Hunter Story 2.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Random question, but does anyone know any really fun or weird movesets to try out (any gen, doesn't matter)

I've been on a big kick lately replaying all the games and it's been a lot of fun coming up with crazy builds, my favorite is a Komala in Ultra Sun which only knows Sleep Talk and Last Resort

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Random question, but does anyone know any really fun or weird movesets to try out (any gen, doesn't matter)

I've been on a big kick lately replaying all the games and it's been a lot of fun coming up with crazy builds, my favorite is a Komala in Ultra Sun which only knows Sleep Talk and Last Resort

Riolu with Prankster, holding a Lagging Tail, knowing Copycat and Dig. Use Dig, which will land last due to the effects of the Lagging Tail. Then use Copycat, which will still be boosted by Prankster and go first, activating the first turn of Dig immediately before the opponent can get a neutral-priority move in, and hit on the second turn after their neutral-priority attack has gone. Because Dig's attack was the last move used, you can use Copycat again to repeat this. Only if the opponent has priority (positive or negative) will they be able to hit you, and only if they have immunity will it not eventually wear them down.

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Have your Eevee
know only Synchronoise,
Evolve at night.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was sure I had a Celebi in Pokémon Emerald but that might have been the only one I was missing? Now I wanna go boot it up and check (if the battery hasn’t died)

Edit: I would have sent it to Home by now but then again I’m not sure who the OT would be or whatever.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

I want you to describe how to get mew or celebi in gen 2 without glitches

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The two Celebi I have in Home have an OT of WIN2011 so I guess they weren’t from Emerald. I’m going to have to look back because I’m sure I had a complete National Dex is Platinum if not Emerald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The two Celebi I have in Home have an OT of WIN2011 so I guess they weren’t from Emerald. I’m going to have to look back because I’m sure I had a complete National Dex is Platinum if not Emerald.

I have a bunch of Celebi without an origin mark, mostly from HG/SS according to Home. A few were "met in a distant land" but I'm pretty sure those were hacked by a kid I was tutoring at the time. None of them specifically say Hoenn.