Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I prefer Dick Bulge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

I know Aaron Rodgers is pissed at the Packers, but changing your name?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So a bit of a stretch but years ago there was an article about a minor league ball player and his story of being a bartender during spring training, getting like half a roasted chicken to split with teammates and living like six to an apartment with I think a future Jays reliever. Does anyone know of this article? I realise that minor league poverty stories are all over so it's hard to find a specific one.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
That rings a bell, I can’t remember the name, but I’m 90 percent sure the ‘future jays reliever’ was Joe Biagini. If I had to make a bet the article was from Sportsnet or The Athletic

E: here ya go, I think..

https://theathletic.com/993323/2019..._shared_article

E2: The article doesn't mention some of the things that you did, and I do remember reading a different article about roommates living in the same situation where they buried the lede that one of them was Biagini. Not having any luck finding that one, but hopefully this can be a decent starting point for your search :)

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 26, 2021

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Something real heartwarming about Twins fans loudly booing Alex Colomé. We're Minnesota nice up til you genuinely piss us off.

Barely got two outs while ALSO giving up another home run.

He's the worst pitcher in a very long time and the Twins had Rich Hill and Homer Bailey on the roster last year

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

habeasdorkus posted:

They're the lakes in Minneapolis, Lake Calhoun/Bde Maka Ska and the rest. It's actually one of the few pieces of clip art that work for their town.

Fair enough it’s just nearly indistinguishable bc a small patch of green with maybe-lakes-or-something isn’t attractive or distinctive.

I almost wonder if these hats were intentionally lovely to drum up news.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Congratulations to Joe West on extracting every calorie possible from 5,376 per diem allowances.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

LeeMajors posted:

Fair enough it’s just nearly indistinguishable bc a small patch of green with maybe-lakes-or-something isn’t attractive or distinctive.

I almost wonder if these hats were intentionally lovely to drum up news.

Never assume a conspiracy when sheer laziness or incompetence will suffice.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

elentar posted:

Never assume a conspiracy when sheer laziness or incompetence will suffice.

I see you are familiar with Hanlon's Razor as well.

(Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankee outfield having a 0 WAR even after Judge's 2 WAR is loving hilarious.

https://twitter.com/JamesSmyth621/status/1397618926373249026

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Casnorf posted:

I see you are familiar with Hanlon's Razor as well.

(Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice)

Yep, I teach conspiracy lit/culture and that is the number one lesson every time. How else* are you gonna explain World War I?

*typo fix, doh

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 26, 2021

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

elentar posted:

Yep, I teach conspiracy lit/culture and that is the number one lesson every time. How rise are you gonna explain World War I?

Or, uh, essentially the entirety of human history...

In a book called The Secret House by David Bodanis he writes "The history of blue jeans is basically the history of grown men acting like children" and nothing could be more true for all the things, hahaha.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
I checked the Mets box score last night and realized DeGrom is the best hitter on the team by far right now. Mets gonna Mets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1397643927293935622

gently caress off Boone. All the way off.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

finally, something

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1397645110867906566?s=21

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:rip: those awful local market hats, lasted only one day of internet ridicule before New Era deleted all mentions of them from their website.

If you have a subscription to The Athletic, they did a comprehensive breakdown of just how terrible each individual hat was which is good for a laugh.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Six weeks for Ozuna

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I hope I'm being too cynical, but off the cuff this smacks to me of "make him lay low for a couple seasons and then quietly let him come back to the sport and hope it can pass mostly unnoticed." For whatever reason folks in the baseball world seem to absolutely love the guy and multiple FO's + the league bent over backwards trying to protect him from the consequences of his very visible harassment.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sydin posted:

I hope I'm being too cynical, but off the cuff this smacks to me of "make him lay low for a couple seasons and then quietly let him come back to the sport and hope it can pass mostly unnoticed." For whatever reason folks in the baseball world seem to absolutely love the guy and multiple FO's + the league bent over backwards trying to protect him from the consequences of his very visible harassment.
You’re probably right

It’s still a Boys Club

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Sydin posted:

Certainly possible. Banishing him to the ineligible list seems like the easiest way to get rid of him though; let him appeal once a year and just keep saying no.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Angels/status/1397651368769327106

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Reminder that the Angels could have released Callaway at any point in the last 16 weeks if they were willing to eat the remainder of his contract, but waited this long because they wanted to save a few bucks.

https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1397652065506062336

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nick Senzel needs knee surgery

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1397650210227200010?s=21

I’m pretty sure he’s made of glass

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Was there a Jays one? I didn't get to see it and I couldn't find it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
https://twitter.com/ryanfagan/status/1397655818271657990

Joe West loving sucks so much.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Don't they only check if the opposing team complains? This is 100% TLR being a baby

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alternatively, the next inning Joe should have ejected TLR and also confiscated the Sox pitcher's equipment. Because every loving pitcher is doing this, every manager and player knows they're doing it, and MLB really should start enforcing their own dang rules on foreign grip substances.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I know the enemy of my enemy is my friend, but what happens when there are three parties and they are all my enemy?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Traxis posted:

Don't they only check if the opposing team complains? This is 100% TLR being a baby

Joe West could have just said "it's fine." But decided to go through with it and then eject Shildt.

ALSO what Sydin said.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

He ejected the manager and took the hat, but left the pitcher in the game? That seems like much ado about nothing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Did he get a new hat at least? Or was part of the theater that he had to finish out the inning in hatless disgrace?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

What's the significance here?

Listened to the game from last night and DJ just had a baby on Tuesday and Voit has one due this week but I'm guessing you're not mad about Voit not being in the lineup.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Yankees game got PPD anyway

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Sydin posted:

Did he get a new hat at least? Or was part of the theater that he had to finish out the inning in hatless disgrace?

They took the hat to have it checked, and he got a new hat that (I assume) was devoid of foreign substances.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
ejecting Shildt was probably bullshit (I haven't seen the video but, y'know, Joe West) but everything else seems like it was handled pretty correctly

if there's an allegation of cheating then collecting evidence seems reasonable (and MLB claims to be trying to cut down on this sort of thing so ignoring it probably isn't a good move) but ejecting a pitcher from a game should require a little bit more proof than the opposing manager saying "hey we think this guy's cheating"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah, taking a hat if you think it's got some kind a poo poo on it but leaving the pitcher in seems perfectly reasonable given what MLB has already said about this stuff.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Was there a Jays one? I didn't get to see it and I couldn't find it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jolo posted:

What's the significance here?

Listened to the game from last night and DJ just had a baby on Tuesday and Voit has one due this week but I'm guessing you're not mad about Voit not being in the lineup.

I'm mad about one of the worst players in baseball over the last 5 years playing every day and also hitting second. Also, I'm just used to Yankee players getting random days off for no reason even though they can't keep anyone on the team healthy.

Also:
https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1397662138437570561

lol

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Six weeks for Ozuna

I'm surprised it's not longer. That poo poo looked ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Just spectacular work putting the maple leaf right next to the maple leaf that was already on the hat.