Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The XV summons are extremely cool even though whatever weird conditions they're tied to meant I only ever actually saw Ramuh/Shiva ingame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I feel like the Armiger is more the "limit break" analogue in XV and it's... fine

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Help Im Alive posted:

The XV summons are extremely cool even though whatever weird conditions they're tied to meant I only ever actually saw Ramuh/Shiva ingame

I had Titan show up the time I picked a fight with omega without really preparing or knowing what I had to do to beat it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I like VIIR's summons but they tend to make the battle a bit busy. I think in principle they work better as one off attacks than a wholesale replacement/addition to regular combat.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I only played Pocket Edition of XV and the summons can't appear during normal battles, only specific battle cutscenes. So that was a little disappointing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fister Roboto posted:

They should make an RTS set in Eorzea. Can you imagine that? An RTS set in the world of a popular MMORPG?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Twelve by Pies posted:

I only played Pocket Edition of XV and the summons can't appear during normal battles, only specific battle cutscenes. So that was a little disappointing.

The summons in regular 15 are also very limited unless you use a trainer. I think I only got to use them 3 times during my playthrough and I did all the side stuff

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ramuh will show up the most often because he can spawn anywhere and is probably the only one that will show up in open fields, where most of the Hunts are. Titan only shows up in caves and enclosed areas so you don't get many of those outside of like, the sewers. Leviathan needs water, which is fine except that by the time you get it, you're far enough in the main story that you will only summon them in the last chapter or if you go back in time. Shiva is way too late.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
They also added a Garuda summon to XV based on some XIV crossover event, and that summon shows up ALL THE drat TIME, anywhere. Basically you'll probably never see any of the other summons anymore.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Schwartzcough posted:

They also added a Garuda summon to XV based on some XIV crossover event, and that summon shows up ALL THE drat TIME, anywhere. Basically you'll probably never see any of the other summons anymore.

Another example of 15 getting progressively worse with each update.

This might be just me, but the pre-Royal version without any of the major gameplay updates was the most enjoyable for me.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
FFX - you can control summons now! Isn't that neat! Also you can customize your summons with stat boosts and teaching them magic! Awesome! Oh and each summon has a special ability that is better in pretty much every way and situation compared to anything you could customize.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ramuh will show up the most often because he can spawn anywhere and is probably the only one that will show up in open fields, where most of the Hunts are. Titan only shows up in caves and enclosed areas so you don't get many of those outside of like, the sewers. Leviathan needs water, which is fine except that by the time you get it, you're far enough in the main story that you will only summon them in the last chapter or if you go back in time. Shiva is way too late.

Titan can show up outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjoszd9A15k

Ramuh is the most common because his triggers for an increased chance is just how long the battle has gone on, and he can show up just about everywhere. Titan, Leviathan, and Shiva have different triggers for a likelier chance (more allies downed/danger for Shiva, more allies downed/danger and an open enough area for Titan, and Noctis in danger and near water for Leviathan).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

This might be just me, but the pre-Royal version without any of the major gameplay updates was the most enjoyable for me.

:confused:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This ruled

I think some people are tired of the "play as another character" story missions but this one was really cool and fun I thought

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

This ruled

I think some people are tired of the "play as another character" story missions but this one was really cool and fun I thought

I like them when they're short bursts and simple enough that there's no real risk of failing because you're not familiar with the class. They were done really well in the last patch yeah.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

these ones were really fun. didnt drag on too long and stuck a nice balance in being simplified versions of roles but not just giving you one button button to mash all day

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also give Red Mages the cool "what if Moulinet, but way cooler" move Alisaie can do

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i made a joke about them porting ff11 to ff14 so they can end service on the former but i guess the more likely outcome is they eventually do ff11 offline like they're doing with dqx. does it have a decent story at all i feel like you never hear anything about it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I hope that they're doing those 'play as X' stages better. I went on break sometime before 5.3 hit and some of the ones you did (the big one with Thancred in the main body of Shadowbringers being the most egregious example of although Y'shtola's in the Steppe during the 4.X patches probably woulda been regarded far worse had the situation around it not been so amusing) gave you far too simple a character and asked you to do instances that were way too goddamn long with them. Like, don't give players a full kit, but an attack rotation and one utility button does not keep your engagement for a really simple 8+ minute fight. Even the better ones were because they were shorter and got the gently caress out before they overstayed their welcome, not that they were any more engaging

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Thancred one really captured that shonen 'a supporting character's last stand against the main villain' vibe so even if it does go on a bit longer than it has to I appreciate it's there

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

stev posted:

I like them when they're short bursts and simple enough that there's no real risk of failing because you're not familiar with the class. They were done really well in the last patch yeah.

Funnily the Alisaie one gave me the most difficulty because I am familiar with the class and my mind was really confused by it not looking like my setup.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

i made a joke about them porting ff11 to ff14 so they can end service on the former but i guess the more likely outcome is they eventually do ff11 offline like they're doing with dqx. does it have a decent story at all i feel like you never hear anything about it

For a very long time Nexon had been developing an XI port for mobile, focused on offline play that got quietly canceled after a long period of silence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

WaltherFeng posted:

Another example of 15 getting progressively worse with each update.

Eh, there's a lot of QoL they added over time. Like I think just off the top of my head, the ability to accept more than one hunt at a time is big. The Sprint QoL too.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, there's a lot of QoL they added over time. Like I think just off the top of my head, the ability to accept more than one hunt at a time is big. The Sprint QoL too.

I think those were fixed before Royal edition. My main problems with it are that it:
- Changed the final chapter, which was one of the only really outstanding parts of the original game.
- Patched the Armiger glitch. One of the coolest glitches in any game

There is a way to downgrade to a specific patch on PS4 and it’s likely it works on PS5. You need the disc version but that’s really cheap. It’s too bad the PC version shipped as Royal edition.

Can anyone explain how the summons in FFXIII are meant to be used? I have no idea if I’m even doing more damage than my regular party. At least you can use it for a full party heal in a pinch.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Can anyone explain how the summons in FFXIII are meant to be used? I have no idea if I’m even doing more damage than my regular party. At least you can use it for a full party heal in a pinch.
I used them as a combination burst damage/oh-poo poo button. Start the boss battle fighting normally, but if things start to go sideways, you cast a summon to do a bunch of damage AND simultaneously full-heal/revive/etc everyone.

Basically equivalent to how Phoenix tends to work in the SNES/PSX era games.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Super No Vacancy posted:

does it have a decent story at all i feel like you never hear anything about it

Base game through CoP is one story arc. It's generally agreed that the payoff in CoP is worth it. Rhapsodies was a good fanservice storyline.

The writing is good but the presentation is terrible. There is no voice acting, and cutscenes from the most part are just two characters standing still while text happens in the chatbox. Cutscenes get a little fancy in later expansions.

The game is soloable now with trust party members, but you still need to spend a huge amount of time navigating wikis and gamefaqs in order to figure out where to go next.

If you're expecting a high production value JRPG experience like FFXIV, you won't really find it here.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

XI is really fun to Wiki dive or get stories told by other people that suffered through it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Bro no voice acting is a positive, not a downside.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Gologle posted:

Bro no voice acting is a positive, not a downside.

The funny thing is, it seems that FFXI could have gotten voice acting. Square brought in A-list voice actors and had them voice a few cutscenes for a test reel. Apparently Square decided that they weren't going to invest the money in actually going ahead with recording voices for the game.

Test reel voiced cutscene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7i8grgDnDs&t=518s

The cutscene as it is in the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRl3wM4NKz0&t=221s

Also, to reemphasize: FFXI's cutscenes usually aren't this fancy, and this is from the last expansion. Don't go in expecting the rest of the game to be like this.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Demeo team needs to get in on some licensed DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s5RPGTfP_E

(Btw play Demeo if you have VR, it is fantastic, and if you dont have VR it is going to have a non vr mode in a few months)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I just ordered one of those handheld emulator machines. The RG351V, so I need some advice.

I’m planning on playing some old FF’s on it. I think I’m pretty set on most of the versions but Final Fantasy VI.

I grew up and own it on SNES, but I’ve heard the GBA version has a way better translation. But it also has washed out colors and bad sound and music. There’s a restoration patch I’ve tried but the colors and music still seem off when using that version.

I’ve also seen some recommendations for the Ted Woolsey Uncensored SNES version that cleans up the script but preserves the art and sound of the snes version.

Any recommendations?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Depends on how accurate you want the translation, really. There’s quite a few translation errors in Woolsey’s translation (due to lack of time and resources of course, Woolsey kicked rear end with what he had to work with), but people like Woolsey’s script for a reason. GBA translation is accurate and tries to keep some of the charm of the Woolsey script.

If you can get the GBA music restoration patch to work, I’d personally go with that as a change of pace from the SNES version, plus then you can try the extra content if you want (which isn’t that vital but hey, new Espers). Otherwise, SNES is more than fine and has much more options in retranslations and mods. I’d at least patch some of the major bugs like Evade, but then again it’s not really a big deal I guess.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zedprime posted:

The warrior of lights specialty summon is the "my 7 friends" summon which let's them summon 7 catgirls in bikinis whenever it is tactically appropriate.

Knights of the Whoever's Around.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bruceski posted:

Knights of the Whoever's Around.

Fishing Buddies (Extreme)

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

I just ordered one of those handheld emulator machines. The RG351V, so I need some advice.

I’m planning on playing some old FF’s on it. I think I’m pretty set on most of the versions but Final Fantasy VI.

I grew up and own it on SNES, but I’ve heard the GBA version has a way better translation. But it also has washed out colors and bad sound and music. There’s a restoration patch I’ve tried but the colors and music still seem off when using that version.

I’ve also seen some recommendations for the Ted Woolsey Uncensored SNES version that cleans up the script but preserves the art and sound of the snes version.

Any recommendations?

I’ve actually tried both on my 351v and the snes version is much prettier and sounds a lot better. I also didn’t think it lost much compared to the gba translation so it’d just stick with the normal snes one unless you really want to deal with patching the rom or however that works.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
When you play the SNES version just remember to take a leap of faith off the highest cliff you can find when you're depressed. It'll perk you right up!

(Yes, yes, I know, having a character attempt suicide was never going to fly with Nintendo's content standards at the time and Woolsey did the best he could with a nearly impossible task but I'm never not going to mention it.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Suicide is badass” - Celes Reynolds

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I had no idea what the suicide reference was all about so I googled it and WOW. I mean that fishing challenge was already the worst part of the game but I never knew it could turn out that bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CFox posted:

I had no idea what the suicide reference was all about so I googled it and WOW. I mean that fishing challenge was already the worst part of the game but I never knew it could turn out that bad.

The original idea with Sabin was to permanently kill him if you didn’t rescue the kid from the collapsing house in time. There was going to be an optional cutscene for Edgar if you spent the night at the inn there, where he’d be out by the rubble calling for Sabin to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXI is the story of going to the beach at night, for weeks