Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Twelve by Pies posted:

in Maverick Hunter where it's more powerful (and I think you have to skip the arm parts to get it)
Yep, which makes it utterly pointless to go for, because they also moved the Vile fight to the penultimate Sigma stage, after all the refights. So you will literally only have the Zero buster for D-Rex and the final stage, in return for not being able to charge your special weapons until the very end of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Like I said before, Deepnest is Team Cherry's greatest accomplishment, for crafting a space so viscerally unpleasant to be in. Its emotionally resonant in a way I don't think I've experienced in any other videogame. Exploring it alone, in the dark, with headphones on was probably instrumental in such, but I contend its the "proper" way to do Deepnest anyways.

Yeah so far I'd agree entirely with this understanding of the Deepnest. Ideally this is how I think it should be experienced, but equally if I experienced it that way I probably wouldn't be playing the game 20 minutes later.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"Eight legs good, six legs bad."

I for one cannot wait to see what Team Cherry come up with for Silksongs Deepnest analogue. In 2030.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Everything about Deepnest is designed to make you feel isolated, claustrophobic and unwelcome. I loved it, but I can imagine why someone who has issues with feeling isolated in games when they don't have other characters to talk to it would be awful.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm surprised Nat was able to slip out of that spike pit at 15:40 no problem. Handling poo poo like a boss.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Getting some serious Death from Castlevania vibes from this guy, honestly. His claw even looks kinda Scyther scythe-ish!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm going to be on the edge of my seat until you rescue Zote.

Also if you haven't realized it by now, enemies love to make a beeline for you as soon as you start healing. You better be absolutely sure that you'll be able to pop off a heal in time if you go for one!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think Galien is the toughest of the ghost bosses, even harder than Markoth

I'm very tempted to spoil Nat on returning to Kingdom's Edge before he fully explores Deepnest. One thing in particular unlocks a very important lore bit that would otherwise be missed.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

SirPhoebos posted:

I think Galien is the toughest of the ghost bosses, even harder than Markoth

I disagree. Even though it's kinda cheating, Pantheon of Hallownest Markoth is the worst because of the arena.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
It took so long for me to do that pogo challenge recently, kept having a tiny amount to lateral movement on my D-pad. drat you for not being bad at video games, Nat20!!!

But seriously, congrats.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Nat walked into that room with the bench before, but it was blocked off by a one way door, so you didnt actually make it to the bench itself.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I dunno if you realize, but you can do a double jump off of a pogo. Also, if you dream nail a Warrior Dream they'll fight you immediately, so if you need to refight them you can skip their dialogue that way.

And yeah you can walk past Warrior Dreams - if you don't have the dream nail they don't appear at all, so they can't block off anything.

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 27, 2021

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah the purpose of that room, and a few others like it is to show you to always check the area around/below/above a boss arena before engaging the fight, if you have the option.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cactus posted:

Yeah the purpose of that room, and a few others like it is to show you to always check the area around/below/above a boss arena before engaging the fight, if you have the option.

Such as the secret room above and to the left of the Mantis Lords with a lifeblood cocoon in it, the only way to reach it is by climbing the closed door before challenging them... or with the crystal dash or double jump.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I didn't know about that one, interesting. The one I had in mind was the chandelier.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dareon posted:

Such as the secret room above and to the left of the Mantis Lords with a lifeblood cocoon in it, the only way to reach it is by climbing the closed door before challenging them... or with the crystal dash or double jump.

The what

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Dareon posted:

I found this once, but had long since forgotten about it, so thanks for reminding me it existed.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hollow Knight is great because there's always another hidden alcove you never notice. Heck I have this LP to thank for showing me how to get to the Geo Cache in King Stations

A consequence of this design is that no two reviews are ever the same on saying how a first run "should" progress, because it is different for everyone.

I saw one video that said the normal way to enter City of Tears was via the Tramway in the Ancient Basin

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SirPhoebos posted:

I saw one video that said the normal way to enter City of Tears was via the Tramway in the Ancient Basin

Lmao, what? This game, I swear.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Oooh, Nat found the Grey Mourner! Get ready to make her very sad.

Also Nat's inability to read the map even with the compass would be funny if it weren't so maddening.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I really like the Grey Mourner's weird way of speaking, it gives the flower quest such a surreal feeling.

That tram pin has to be the most pointless map pin in the game. You can already see the tram stations on the base map!

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Yeah, after seeing Nat getting lost on the way to Galien without the compass despite being there just minutes ago, I'm willing to cut some slack on having it equipped all the time. I knew people got lost, but not this badly!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I feel like someone needs to tell Nat that you don't have to jump to stomp. Sadly I don't think Tea knows that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nat had exactly the right response to the Grey Mourner's quest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Nat should hopefully have an easier time than most. Being comfortable hanging back and killing stuff with your spells is your best bet for success on that quest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Oh thank Goodness.

Also, if you go to the Failed Tramway before the Ancient Basin, Cloth will appear on the Tramway bench! All she says is "haha, this sucks".

Also also, I forgot to point it out before but the Ancient Basin stag station wasn't in the original release of the game. So if you wanted to come back to that area, you had to take the tram or hoof it from King's Station.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Man, I forgot how many paths the map just doesn't show you. Tea might have to direct Nat towards Nosk if we're going to see that boss.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Doesn't Nat still have money on the bank? Maybe even with bug interest added on top?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That "spider skittering across the foreground" effect is The. loving. Worst.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Glad I'm not the only one that completely forgets about howling wraiths because it's given to you too late in the game, well after your internalised moveset has calcified.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 29, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cactus posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that completely forgets about howling wraiths because it's given to you too late in the game, well after your internalised moveset has calcified.

I don't think Nat has actually picked that up yet? Might be misremembering.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm pretty sure he did but now I'm second guessing myself. I have various playthroughs of games on as background noise sometimes and occasionally they blend together.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

Cactus posted:

I'm pretty sure he did but now I'm second guessing myself. I have various playthroughs of games on as background noise sometimes and occasionally they blend together.

He hasn't, he hasn't gone back in the general direction of Queen's Gardens since geting the Mantis Claw.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Cactus posted:

I got it into my moveset just fine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nat also still needs to get Isma's Tear

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Started another game and ended up with the Tram Pass with no nail/health/soul upgrades/4 charm notches before I even got to the City. That was rough. At least I was smart enough to not fight the Brooding Mawlek right at the start of the game. It's so easy to pogo up those wall spikes to get there and I forgot what it led to. I'm on a completely different route than last time, which is part of why this might be my favorite metroidvania. You have to go really deep to hit a true dead end and even if you can't continue you'll have found a bunch of stuff on the way so you still feel like it was worth it.

Edit: And now I get to fight Soul Master with a twice upgraded nail and Fragile Strength. Similar thing happened last game where I didn't fight the Mantis Lords until very late and just wrecked them by the time I got there.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 31, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I'm disappointed that Nat didn't follow through on redoing the first Trial. Shame on you! Oh well, it's not like there's anything waiting for you if you redo it...except, you know, the hardest boss fight in the game against Zote the Mighty.