Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

my friend just did this- fastest beast win ever

https://streamable.com/h3evrc

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Do you guys think I should try to unlock the Repentance stuff (i.e hammer Hush 2 more times), or keep unlocking afterbirth era stuff?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Sharkitten posted:

Do you guys think I should try to unlock the Repentance stuff (i.e hammer Hush 2 more times), or keep unlocking afterbirth era stuff?

Absolutely unlock the repentance stuff and do the alt path at least once to unlock all the new floors and a single tainted character of your choice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sharkitten posted:

Repentance is a lot more fun than afterbirth

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my friend just did this- fastest beast win ever

https://streamable.com/h3evrc

alright serious question does anyone have an explanation for what's happening here? even if that sprinkler is putting out *insane* amounts of damage, which it probably isn't, it would still take a couple of seconds to kill the beast. there's definitely some sort of bug happening here where the glommed tears are collecting at the borders or something and not expiring or..... something. idk

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

alright serious question does anyone have an explanation for what's happening here? even if that sprinkler is putting out *insane* amounts of damage, which it probably isn't, it would still take a couple of seconds to kill the beast. there's definitely some sort of bug happening here where the glommed tears are collecting at the borders or something and not expiring or..... something. idk

I... genuinely have no idea! I tried recreating this exact build to see what was going on and uh, it created more questions than answers.

For some reason this caused the horseman after Famine to take large amounts of damage where they instantly died.

By the time the Beast spawned, it instantly took a few instances of over 1 million damage each and died!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I used The Fool? card for the first time. It killed me. Wtf?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Okay I nailed it down. It's a bug specifically with Lachryphagy. For some reason those tears don't get cleared properly when going off screen in crawlspace physics areas, and the game freaks out and applies the damage from all existing Lachryphagy tears to any horseman that's unfortunate enough to enter the battle, and eventually the beast.

This only works if you're spamming a lot of Lachryphagy tears, which basically requires and extremely high fire rate. If you aren't spamming those tears enough they despawn like normal. But when you're doing say, Loki's Horns + Rock Bottom + Kidney Stone, the game can't keep up with deleting the tears so they stay around long enough to instagib everything that enters the screen.

But as you've seen, you don't need a high fire rate, just a way to spam tears. Sprinkler + Loki's Horns is a way to accomplish that.

GuavaMoment posted:

I used The Fool? card for the first time. It killed me. Wtf?

Did you have the tarot cloth effect? If so there might have been an item keeping you alive that didn't exist anymore when you used it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The fool? card will kill you if you have empty red containers and soul hearts, because it was not tested very carefully I guess? If you have only soul hearts or any amount of filled red containers it'll work correctly, but red containers that have no red hearts in them and soul hearts just dumps all your soul hearts on the floor and then you die.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Einwand posted:

The fool? card will kill you if you have empty red containers and soul hearts, because it was not tested very carefully I guess? If you have only soul hearts or any amount of filled red containers it'll work correctly, but red containers that have no red hearts in them and soul hearts just dumps all your soul hearts on the floor and then you die.

Ah, it was this. I even had an eternal heart that didn't matter, thanks.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Killed each other which is the biggest bummer :(

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 28, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I had noticed lacryphagy seemed to be doing insane damage in repentance for some reason.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it was buffed yeah

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2497997248&insideModal=0&requirelogin=1

...huh, never even thought about that. why is it red?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The nameless TMTRAINER challenge is a pain in the rear end. I don't think any of the randomly generated items give simple stat boosts, and you miss those when you don't have them.

Different topic, Needles would be less of a pain in the rear end if you got a brief period to do damage to them when they retreat underground, like every other goddamn burrowing enemy in this poo poo of piece game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tbh it ticked me off too. I just had no way of knowing when I'd ever be done with it. I eventually found an active item with no cooldown that made flies and I'm guessing most wins end similarly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ugh, eat poo poo you awful, awful characters.

Got my last mark (Hush) done with a fun new combo: membership card and pyro! Now that the donation machine is always there, you can spike your power like crazy by committing to pulling 150 cents out of the donation machine. Also got random Lacharypayr or however you spell it and Sacred Heart.

Pretty much if you just beat your head against this game long enough, it will provide.

So glad I never have to play this character again. Now to take a big swig of coffee and launch a Tainted Jacob game.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/htedum/status/1398307519437574144

:woop:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

hell yes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

1 floor into my first run of Tainted Eve, this character is very silly lol.

very nice

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can you not do the alt path on a victory run?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My eyes always hurt after doing a beast fight. Idk why this is, I think it's the red tint and my monitor.

Augus posted:

1 floor into my first run of Tainted Eve, this character is very silly lol.
very nice

Yeah she rules, just keep stacking blood Pikmin and go nuts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Well, it happened. I got the god run where absolutely nothing could stand against me. Boss Rush, Hush, Delirium, Lamb, all destroyed.

Shame I couldn't get to Mega Satan, but hey. I unlocked the Repentence stuff!

A good day.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The new stages are cool and Ridiculon's music for all the new floors is much much better than crap like the Womb song he was doing before

also I wish Siren were playable :3:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Sharkitten posted:

The new stages are cool and Ridiculon's music for all the new floors is much much better than crap like the Womb song he was doing before

I think my least favorite overall of theirs is Catacombs. My god it's just racket!! I feel like they've gotten way better though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ridiculon music all seems to be either 2/10 noisy trash or 8/10 bangers
but I don't care since I'll be using all Danny B and Mudeth music with Ridiculon patching up what's left
like go ahead and pick a Womb theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d1ZSb1NLHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95cRdAEqRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGWkTYMdt8Y

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Araxxor posted:

Okay I nailed it down. It's a bug specifically with Lachryphagy. For some reason those tears don't get cleared properly when going off screen in crawlspace physics areas, and the game freaks out and applies the damage from all existing Lachryphagy tears to any horseman that's unfortunate enough to enter the battle, and eventually the beast.

Hmm I had a similarly weird thing happen with Tainted Isaac holding Lachryphagy/Cricket's Body/Jacob's Ladder happen on Mega Satan today, which is a normal "room" as far as I know. I was doing decent damage chipping him down and all of a sudden he just got WIPED out. Literally transitioned into his skeleton form and then immediately died afterwards before he could even do an attack

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lachryphagy has become an instant-take for me

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there anything you can do to prevent Delirium from teleporting on top of you? It feels very unfair.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

RatHat posted:

Is there anything you can do to prevent Delirium from teleporting on top of you? It feels very unfair.

No. He's an unfinished mess of a boss. You just have to be lucky enough to have a monster build or reliable invincibility.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sharkitten posted:

River of Despair is a really good level track and probably one of my favorite stage themes in the game now. (The Dross track on the other hand I'm just kind of meh on.) Fault Lines is also really good. Their Mausoleum track is decent enough but Antibirth's Machine in the Walls easily beats that out for me. There's just no contest.

goferchan posted:

Hmm I had a similarly weird thing happen with Tainted Isaac holding Lachryphagy/Cricket's Body/Jacob's Ladder happen on Mega Satan today, which is a normal "room" as far as I know. I was doing decent damage chipping him down and all of a sudden he just got WIPED out. Literally transitioned into his skeleton form and then immediately died afterwards before he could even do an attack

Huh yeah. I remember taking it at one point and I wasn't on the Beast path and my DPS soared through the roof all of a sudden. Probably another thing related to that bug. If it applies to more situations then it's definitely a top take. Sadly I don't remember the build on that run so I can't really recreate it. I can try looking into that interaction you posted though.

Black August posted:

Ridiculon music all seems to be either 2/10 noisy trash or 8/10 bangers
but I don't care since I'll be using all Danny B and Mudeth music with Ridiculon patching up what's left
like go ahead and pick a Womb theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d1ZSb1NLHI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P95cRdAEqRU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGWkTYMdt8Y

I was listening to some of the Antibirth songs since I haven't really heard that soundtrack and the Isaac battle song is really good goddamn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikccVCWIMzI

...Though I have no idea how often you'll be really hearing it cause on great runs he'll just get annihilated.

RatHat posted:

"Fun fact", due to how the animations work, slowdown effects (I'm Drowsy, Era walk, etc.) make the telefragging worse because then it removes the telegraphed animations entirely. The boss is just a loving mess. Except due to how helpful slowdowns are, it's really not worth it to avoid using it because even without it, the telefragging will still happen. You just get like 3 frames of warning instead of literally 0, which is functionally the same thing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did the big Repentence update make the floors bigger? I don't see anything in the patch notes, but I'm constantly going "Jesus, is this an XL floor??" and then hitting tab and ..... nope

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

some love for the OG soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqE6gwZqkbw

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

RatHat posted:

No. That is the reason people consider it a trash boss, the trainwreck of boss armor aside.

e:fb

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Did the big Repentence update make the floors bigger? I don't see anything in the patch notes, but I'm constantly going "Jesus, is this an XL floor??" and then hitting tab and ..... nope

I absolutely think so. Basement II is usually loving enormous compared to I. It feels like Womb-level sizing applies to every stage now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It definitely feels like something happened to floor generation. Sometimes floors seem reasonably sized for where they're placed. Other times I had to check if Curse of the Labyrinth was in effect or not. I wonder if that might be why boss rush feels so much harder to reach now.

goferchan posted:

I couldn't recreate the instagibbing, but I noticed Mega Satan was randomly taking hundreds of damage when my damage stat was like... 11. Might be because how that room doesn't have actual walls for the tears to hit, so that's likely a factor too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

I absolutely think so. Basement II is usually loving enormous compared to I. It feels like Womb-level sizing applies to every stage now.

Just huuuuuuge. I'll go through Catacombs II and find the item room, shop and boss room, and there will be like 4 unexplored paths still left and it's like what in the hell is going on?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Araxxor posted:

I couldn't recreate the instagibbing, but I noticed Mega Satan was randomly taking hundreds of damage when my damage stat was like... 11. Might be because how that room doesn't have actual walls for the tears to hit, so that's likely a factor too.

Yeah I have no idea what triggered it but "no walls" is a pretty good guess-- with Tainted Isaac it's pretty easy to narrow down the interactions, and all my other items were just a combination of generic tears and damage ups, nothing particularly sexy. I think my damage is only like 8 or something. I'm about to fight Delirium on the same run so we'll see if it happens again or if it likely is something to do with the room border.

edit: OH now that I'm booting it up again I forgot I had Rubber Cement. Is that the missing piece?? Really similar deal with Delirium, it turns out, and a little more clear since he had a health bar unlike Mega Satan -- did decent steady damage to him but then after a while he went straight from 25% HP or so to immediately dead.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 29, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Just huuuuuuge. I'll go through Catacombs II and find the item room, shop and boss room, and there will be like 4 unexplored paths still left and it's like what in the hell is going on?

Occasionally I'll get a second floor that feels REALLY small but honestly it's probably because I stopped playing for a long time before Repentance and forgot how big floors are now, and it's just an old normal-sized floor. I'm torn on it because if you want to explore every room (or just get unlucky finding the boss/treasure room/shop) it can be a slog, but at least on early floors it also smooths the game out a little giving you more chances to get drops or for rooms to generate special features. The ideal for me would probably be splitting the difference somewhere -- I remember how much it used to suck to only get like 3 combats on a floor and none of them drop a key, which is rarely an issue anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Occasionally I'll get a second floor that feels REALLY small but honestly it's probably because I stopped playing for a long time before Repentance and forgot how big floors are now, and it's just an old normal-sized floor. I'm torn on it because if you want to explore every room (or just get unlucky finding the boss/treasure room/shop) it can be a slog, but at least on early floors it also smooths the game out a little giving you more chances to get drops or for rooms to generate special features. The ideal for me would probably be splitting the difference somewhere -- I remember how much it used to suck to only get like 3 combats on a floor and none of them drop a key, which is rarely an issue anymore.

They don't dead end, so I think if they made a change it was so you always get more decision points. Should I do the boss trap? The curse room? The options are available so much more now.

But it's a bit annoying if you're going for boss rush/hush. An unlucky floor where you full clear takes forevvvvvvvverrrrrrrr now