Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

hbag posted:

whats the address of that new network the freenode boys made
because im just about paranoid enough that i dont feel like sticking around on freenode for much longer

libera.chat is run by the former staff of freenode and it's where basically every channel worth lurking or chatting in has moved to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

a bunch of channels moved to OFTC instead

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

every channel worth lurking or chatting in has moved to

so none then

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

once steam gets their windows virtualization poo poo working for ALL games instead of just a handful of pre-selected ones theyre testing it out with im probably gonna work on switching over to desktop linux
because i guess i hate myself apparently

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

iirc you can just run valves wine fork as a regular wine host thing

I dunno how though I only use command line utils in unix as dmr and ken intended

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty sure this is going to be the year of gaming on linux yeah.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

easiest imo is just keep a win 10 vm or comp around for games, and then stream from that to os x or linux w/ steam. it works fine for almost everything

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Broken Machine posted:

easiest imo is just keep a win 10 vm or comp around for games, and then stream from that to os x or linux w/ steam. it works fine for almost everything

something tells me running a particularly demanding game in a virtualbox machine isnt going to go too well

also windows takes loving ages to boot and i will most likely lose interest in the time it takes

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

hbag posted:

something tells me running a particularly demanding game in a virtualbox machine isnt going to go too well

also windows takes loving ages to boot and i will most likely lose interest in the time it takes

for several years now you've been able to do good 3d in a vm w/ gpu passthrough, the performance hit is just a few percent. it works fine on os x, a few people here earlier in this thread said it was fine-ish for linux (as linux goes)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hbag posted:

once steam gets their windows virtualization poo poo working for ALL games instead of just a handful of pre-selected ones theyre testing it out with im probably gonna work on switching over to desktop linux

you can turn it on for all games, whether it'll work or not is down to the usual wine issues

games in particular like anti-cheat kernel drivers or making bare NT system calls for DRM anti-tampering

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

for several years now you've been able to do good 3d in a vm w/ gpu passthrough, the performance hit is just a few percent. it works fine on os x, a few people here earlier in this thread said it was fine-ish for linux (as linux goes)

at the point where you're running both linux and windows *anyway* though you'd need a pretty good reason for it to make sense to not just reverse the virtualization and use wsl. windows is not without problems, but drivers are good and it is a perfectly fine virtualization host.

much as i like to make fun of it the pure linux gamer is clearly trying to do something as a tinkering and hobby project.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 28, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FWIW, I've been playing my games in proton (though most are native and don't need it) because I definitely can't be arsed to reboot after work. It's fine.

Really, all the games I need.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Broken Machine posted:

iirc if you have an nvidia card GPU passthrough only works if you have a quadro or titan. also

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

at the point where you're running both linux and windows *anyway* though you'd need a pretty good reason for it to make sense to not just reverse the virtualization and use wsl. windows is not without problems, but drivers are good and it is a perfectly fine virtualization host.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

at the point where you're running both linux and windows *anyway* though you'd need a pretty good reason for it to make sense to not just reverse the virtualization and wsl. windows is not without problems, but drivers are good and it is a perfectly fine virtualization host.

much as i like to make fun of it the pure linux gamer is clearly trying to do something as a tinkering and hobby project.

myself, i just keep a windows system around solely for games - i looked at using gpu passthrough too though, and on os x at least it works reasonably well. but overall i agree, it's a bit easier to just have a dedicated windows system for games. i don't use it for anything else though, windows as a host for most anything just doesn't appeal much, i'd never use it as a vm host. the whole idea to me is to interact and fiddle w/ windows as infrequently as possible. the ideal, all else being equal is just a nice vm w/ win 10 pro or enterprise that you can use for games and it's fine, just shut it down when you're done and forget all about windows

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

when should i admit that the main reason i want to eventually switch to linux is because i really like customizing the living poo poo out of things

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

hbag posted:

It's not virtualization, it's a compatibility layer where they're re-implementing DirectX calls in Vulkan. It's very fast and stable. Also, there's literally just one checkbox that you have to change to unlock it for all games in your library.

Check out Protondb for people's experiences with using it: https://www.protondb.com/

I've used it for gaming exclusively for like... 2 years now? To name a few, I've played Dishonored, Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Prey, and probably others from start to finish with it. I was able to even install Divinity: Original Sin 2 from GoG and add it as an external game using Steamplay and it works fine.

Like seriously, there's no reason to not use it at this point if you're even remotely curious.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

windows is not without problems

windows *is* the problem

and yeah the vast majority of games work fine in proton, i love it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
proton compatibility is pretty drat good but still hit or miss in a bunch of cases, doom eternal was supposed to work more or less flawlessly but it wouldnt even start for me, horizon zero dawn was missing a lot of 3d objects in the intro scene and then crashed once the game proper was going to start (i think), and notably, proton games cannot be streamed to another steam client

proton games also tend to max out my gpu (rtx 2080 ti) and make the gpu fan turn on full speed, even for games which should not be demanding like stalker shadow of chernobyl

given those issues, notable games which work extremely well, even with a xbone controller with wireless dongle (through https://github.com/medusalix/xow or plugged in through usb):

control
outer wilds
disco elysium
untitled goose game
dead space
stalker chadow of shernobyl
manifold garden
metro exodus

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Broken Machine posted:

I tried GPU passthrough but it requires you to dedicate a screen to the Windows VM for gaming. I want to be able to alt-tab between a Linux desktop and a game.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

iirc if you have an nvidia card GPU passthrough only works if you have a quadro or titan. also

it wasn't officially supported but worked fine for running games in a vm, and just recently they started officially supporting it as well

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
ive been gaming with proton on steam for like a year now, mostly single player stuff like:

Re7
Dirt rally (non-native because it runs better)
Sekiro
Ds2 and 3 (Inc mods)
mgs5
Subnautica
Nier automata
dmc5
Deus ex md
witcher 3
hollow knight

from time to time you need to download custom proton builds, but most stuff works really well

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

joining the proton crew

don't think i've encountered something that hasn't worked in the last years. some of them had some hoops to jump over, but i haven't encountered any that wouldn't work at all for a very long time

mystes
May 31, 2006

I tried to use proton for one thing and it didn't work.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tankakern posted:

joining the proton crew

don't think i've encountered something that hasn't worked in the last years. some of them had some hoops to jump over, but i haven't encountered any that wouldn't work at all for a very long time

yeah, wine/proton work really well now, the only exception being the aforementioned drm/anti-cheat crapware that gets freaked out by it

i haven't had an interest in multiplayer games since being on a campus lan where we had private servers for a bunch of games and everyone actually knew everyone else, so that doesn't matter to me

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Games like LoL breaking on Wine is more of a feature imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

myself, i just keep a windows system around solely for games - i looked at using gpu passthrough too though, and on os x at least it works reasonably well. but overall i agree, it's a bit easier to just have a dedicated windows system for games. i don't use it for anything else though, windows as a host for most anything just doesn't appeal much, i'd never use it as a vm host. the whole idea to me is to interact and fiddle w/ windows as infrequently as possible. the ideal, all else being equal is just a nice vm w/ win 10 pro or enterprise that you can use for games and it's fine, just shut it down when you're done and forget all about windows

yeah same

does subnautica work on a non-ms windows

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Nvidia finally got their heads out of their rear end and stopped doing this poo poo in their last driver.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...ws-vms-on-linux

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I tried GPU passthrough but it requires you to dedicate a screen to the Windows VM for gaming. I want to be able to alt-tab between a Linux desktop and a game.

synergy is the way to do this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

looking glass

DoomTrainPhD posted:

synergy is the way to do this.
huh?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

looking glass
huh?

looking glass is also cool and good.

https://symless.com/synergy

mystes
May 31, 2006

I know what synergy is, but it doesn't do what NihilCredo was asking.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

I know what synergy is, but it doesn't do what NihilCredo was asking.

yeah, I’ve always used synergy and had a brain fart. Looking glass is the correct answer.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Lysidas posted:

and notably, proton games cannot be streamed to another steam client

there might be some that don't work, but i've successfully played hades and wolfenstein: the new order over protondb+steam streaming without any issues

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Tried i3 and it’s rough. Launcher menu just indexes $path by default and you need to edit the conf to use .desktop files instead???
Bad hidpi scaling.
Back to gnome. The pop-shell extension has all the same features as i3 anyway, including universal tabs/stacking which someone here said nothing else has

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Voodoo Cafe posted:

there might be some that don't work, but i've successfully played hades and wolfenstein: the new order over protondb+steam streaming without any issues

Yeah I missed this post before but that's not at all been my experience. I stream games regularly to my phone and play with a Razer Kishi controller and aside from the odd lag spikes it's like playing locally.

Just this week I got Retroarch set up as an external program, with Dolphin, so I've started playing GC games on my phone via streaming. It's cool as gently caress.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I want to see hbag try out NetBSD

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
or HP-UX

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wanna see them get HURD

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

I wanna see them get HURD

self harm requests are verboten in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

shoeberto posted:

Yeah I missed this post before but that's not at all been my experience. I stream games regularly to my phone and play with a Razer Kishi controller and aside from the odd lag spikes it's like playing locally.

Just this week I got Retroarch set up as an external program, with Dolphin, so I've started playing GC games on my phone via streaming. It's cool as gently caress.

neat, i have tried streaming most of the stuff i listed as working under proton, and not a single one has worked to stream to my laptop or apple tv, good to know it isnt a global issue