Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SkyeAuroline posted:

Speaking of IT guys, have I got one now. Gotta cut costs by cutting unnecessary staff, yknow.

Remaining IT staff that can work with our division: 0

(Old database wizard is still around but tickets are a stone wall of silence. Hey, remember all those processes I mentioned that have to run through IT tickets because they won't trust us with database update tools?)

Wait, so they let your IT guy go?

This means you finally get unfettered access to the system, right!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Wait, so they let your IT guy go?

This means you finally get unfettered access to the system, right!?!?!

No, the wizard is still in his tower, unreachable by mortals, guarding the keys to the system.

There's just no longer anyone to take tickets for anything above "hardware failed, new monitor pls". So ultimately nothing changed but now it's because "IT developers" don't exist instead of just not wanting to help the plebs (that are the only reason the company has anything to sell so they can get a paycheck).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

goatface posted:

Some more of our staff surveying results came out this week. ~5% of our office said they need/want to be in full time, which is a bit more than how many have been needed to run the minimum-requirements skeleton crew so that sounds about right. Most wanted a day a week or less.

Just over 50% of responses to the survey said they never, ever wanted to be in the office on a Friday. Which is honestly lower than I would have expected.

My office does 2 hour pub lunches on Fridays plus afternoon beers from 4:30, so I don't have to do nearly as much work if I'm in the office compared to home.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
For 3 years we've been asking our developers to create a function to automatically close off sales opps which are 4+ months inactive. It’s been raised with them by our manager at regular meetings. They always say they’re working on it.

Today we learned that the function has been available since 2019, they just forgot to tell us.

The original ticket from 2018 remains open.

:confused:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Splode posted:

My office does 2 hour pub lunches on Fridays plus afternoon beers from 4:30, so I don't have to do nearly as much work if I'm in the office compared to home.

You don't have to do nearly as much work when you're home either :ssh:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Son of Rodney posted:

You don't have to do nearly as much work when you're home either :ssh:

Working from home has really exposed just how much of my job is frilly Corp bullshit

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Outrail posted:

How about we compromise: 4 day work week. 1 mandatory office day. 3 days WFH (optional). Once per year employees may vote to boil managers alive in a cartoon cauldron.

Make it once per month :colbert:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Creature posted:

For 3 years we've been asking our developers to create a function to automatically close off sales opps which are 4+ months inactive. It’s been raised with them by our manager at regular meetings. They always say they’re working on it.

Today we learned that the function has been available since 2019, they just forgot to tell us.

Now those poor devs can't pretend they're working on this and will have to move onto pretending they're working on something else.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Scientastic posted:

I don't really understand why any business would want to have people working in an office. Surely keeping a fancy office is a massive expense? Wouldn't it be better to have a smaller office that people can book for meetings etc. but then let them work from home the rest of the time? I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and I have very clear and obvious metrics that would show if they weren't.

I'm guessing that the concern is that people will slack off without having someone over their shoulder the entire time, but I don't care if they achieve what they need to in a few hours and spend the rest of their day playing video games or looking after their kids or whatever, as far as I'm concerned, they're paid for the results they get, not the hours they do to achieve those results.
Nothing has been more soul crushing for me than the past two years of transitioning from your style and attitude of management style than to the opposite.

Who is expecting "at least" part-time in office starting in July.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cheesus posted:

Nothing has been more soul crushing for me than the past two years of transitioning from your style and attitude of management style than to the opposite.

Who is expecting "at least" part-time in office starting in July.

Yeah probably. A year and a half ago my office had insufficient parking. Management gave themselves spots right next to the building, and assigned spots to long time (17+ years) employees. Everyone else gets to figure it out which meant arriving earlier and earlier to avoid having to park half a mile away at the main garage and shuttle over, adding 20 minutes to your commute.

As my office has been adding more people during the pandemic I asked my manager if any consideration had been given to improving parking, and got agreement that was indeed a real pickle. Beginning to think management exempting themselves from the problem might hurt motivation to come up with a fix. Although on the plus side, it was funny to hear a recruiting team that candidates would arrive for interviews, circle the building a few times and realize there was nowhere to park with no instructions about what to do, and just leave after rightly guessing if the place can't figure out such a basic thing it's got problems.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

chglcu posted:

A year away from the constant anxiety of being surrounded by other people and ending every day with a massive headache from that combined with trying to focus through their noise has been so nice. Not sure how long I'm gonna tolerate being forced back into that.

I think a huge part of why I hated my previous job was because I could hear conversations from two to three cubes over at all times and you had people randomly stopping in my cube to talk to people there. I tend to work in long, uninterrupted sessions anyway, but at that job if I lost my place I would need to restart to make sure I had everything right. The last thing I needed was stories about being on the high school football team in 1981 and someone's kid's little league game. When my current job was in-person it was usually just my direct supervisor and myself in the office most days as we were a "work wherever" team before COVID anyway. Besides the greater degree of independence I have now, I think the fact that I could work without distraction was a huge part of why I actually liked the job from the start, even if I had exchanged a 20 minute max commute for a 1 hour minimum slog.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

what the gently caress is salesforce

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

VileLL posted:

The software that literally every company on earth uses for tracking sales

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Azuth0667 posted:

Make it once per month :colbert:

The mandatory office day or the boiling managers alive? Both?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

The software that literally every company on earth uses for tracking sales shoveling money into a hole in the ground.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VileLL posted:

Dragonforce after they gave up on their dreams

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

VileLL posted:

It is enterprise as gently caress.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

VileLL posted:

Imagine a lot with a gas station, some building materials and some construction equipment on it. Sometimes the construction equipment randomly changes names or disappears entirely.

Your boss bought it because the sales people told him it would be perfect as is for his new waterpark.

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 28, 2021

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Creature posted:

does this dev team have any openings? I'm very interested in joining a team that embraces this type of culture.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

VileLL posted:

It’s waaaaaay better than the Excel spreadsheet I used to keep all my customer/supplier contacts on, and makes it a lot easier to check that you have enough coming in to hit your target.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

VileLL posted:

It is, effectively, the seventh circle of hell, but with reminder emails that tell you that you haven't reached out to a (probably dead) guy in six months because he stopped answering your calls a year ago.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Scientastic posted:

It’s waaaaaay better than the Excel spreadsheet I used to keep all my customer/supplier contacts on, and makes it a lot easier to check that you have enough coming in to hit your target.

We use Netsuite because my boss thinks we're "Enterprise" enough, but doesn't realize he pays more for the software per month than he pays me to manage the people who touch the software every day, therefore I'm not loving fixing this broken poo poo.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

On a conference call right now where my boss is talking over my prospect right now and essentially telling them they're very stupid, when I'm fact, it is my boss who is the dolt, because I know he's looking at the wrong project specs.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

VileLL posted:

read this 50 times in 2 minutes
linked server "SALESFORCE" returned message Error 1 : SERVER_UNAVAILABLE: server temporarily unavailable"

did you enjoy that?
If so, you'll love salesforce.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Salesforce and Workday in constant competition to see who can drive more people insane

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Okay, so I'll share my story.

So I worked at a small motel off the highway a few years back. The place had less than fifty rooms and the owners were selective about who they rented to. Lots of long term stays of cool and quiet people. For those in hospitality this is basically a dream job if your dream didn't involve a lot of pay or benefits. But it was intensely chill because I barely saw anyone. The husband of the husband/wife owner/manager team was mild and friendly. The wife was a high strung control freak petty authoritarian but she was barely around. The first shift dude is an incredibly friendly elder gay dude (EGD) that you'll basically meet if you work hospitality long enough. The kind of person who takes a lot of poo poo from bigots and idiots because they present as gay and so they're more than a little bitter past the customer service face but with a little friendliness they open up. Especially when I brought him food now and again. This guy makes everything work. EGD is clutch. Third shift was an older tough check Jersey girl who was also cool as gently caress and worked seven days a week doing the audit and burning through what I assume were hundreds of romance novels a year. The housekeeping staff was friendly and reliable which I find to be bizarre because almost all of the housekeeping staff I've worked with at other hospitality jobs are almost all some mix of desperate, angry, unreliable poo poo stirrers. Also frequently addicts of some sort though not always. Not that I blame people for wanting to get high for a minimum wage job but I was pretty tired of working with people on pills, coke or heroin. But because the housekeepers were paid above standard and treated respectfully which I have to state is beyond rare, they were great to work with. For myself I worked about two hours out of eight a day on average and I was almost always alone. Not all of those hours were worked in a straight line but since I normally worked second shift and not on Friday and Saturdays I usually had 7 PM to 11 PM all to myself.

This was prime writing time for me. At the time I also wrote fiction for a living and occasionally for fun. So having a chill place to write fiction that actually paid the bills was fantastic. The pay was poo poo at the motel but it was perfect for double dipping and to get in some socialization so I could stop being an increasingly bizarre fiction hermit. And when I interviewed for the job I took a pretty low wage because for about six out of eight hours on average I was paid to just mind the shop. But I made it very clear to the husband of the husband/wife manager/owner team that I have projects that I do online and I need my laptop for those projects. So as long as there is literally no work to do I could work on my projects. This is accepted. Double dipping confirmed and then happily practiced.

And this is where I tell the story about how poo poo goes really wrong and someone nearly gets shot to death and the following lovely and craven cover-up, hospitality style.

So about six months later of perhaps the chillest job ever I'm checking someone into the motel directly after a shift change. The customer is a very friendly black lady who was twenty-nine years old because I checked her driver's license like you do and because that day is burned into my loving memory. I check her in and make small talk. She heads out the door and I'm doing very basic computer toucher stuff before I move on to pen and paper log which confirms what the computer says that she indeed in the room I sent her to and then finish up with the folio (the paper contract where a picture of her drivers license and signature is on) and then put said folio into the bucket where the folios are kept. So if you gently caress up you had to have hosed up three times in very similar ways because redundancy is built into the system to prevent people from being put into the wrong room. And the first thing you're supposed to do on your shift is make sure that the computer log, paper log and folio all agree. But I couldn't do this because she was already here during the shift change. The husband and wife team were pretty exact in what they wanted from me and set clear expectations. It was extremely micromanagey but I was okay with that because it became a routine very quickly and then the micromanager wife left me the gently caress alone. I was a fire and forget employee. It was a nice change of pace for hospitality because in my experience it's usually full of incompetent and frequently malicious owners dictating to burnout wage slave managers to even lower paid wage slave employees. Clear expectations and routines were nice and records meant that if someone hosed up it was (almost) always clear about who hosed up.

Anyway, someone is in already in the room and I just sent someone else up because someone hosed up. And I wouldn't have found out in time if the motel wasn't so empty that day. So it only took me about two minutes to make sure that the computer, paper log and folio all agreed. Computer log checks out and shows that the room is empty. Paperwork log shows the same. And then I look in the bucket where I put the paperwork and wham, someone is in that room already. Someone before me hosed up not once, not twice but three times. And I do a quick bit of sleuthing and figure out that elder gay dude, EGD had moved someone into a new room just in the folio without changing it in the system or on the paper logs. At least I thought so at the time.

This is a problem but usually it's not a huge problem and it can be sorted out with a phone call. So I try to call the lady. She does not answer her phone. I leave a message and then call again. No answer. I assume that she's probably screening me. And now I'm heading up to the room in case she's on her way up but it looks like she left because I remember the make and model of her car and it's not in any of the parking spots near room 201 where I sent her. The room closest to the stairs on the second floor. So I decide to quickly come downstairs, make a new key card to invalidate her key card and then come back up to the room, slide it into the electronic key card reader and this should all take less than a minute. I try calling the owners anyway. They don't pick up even though I know they're on site. So after about five minutes of sitting up there for either her to show up, call me or for the owners to call me I figure she's getting dinner or something and I can't just wait outside of the door like a dumbass for her to maybe show up. So I go downstairs, make a key card to invalidate hers but by the time I make the card she has parked, headed upstairs, tried to enter the room and then calmly walks down the stairs and into the lobby while I was about to get back outside. An ill timed thirty seconds.

It turns out that as she entered the occupied room the occupant of the room panicked and drew a .45 caliber handgun and leveled it at her and made what I assume would be loud and threatening noises while she stood in front of the open door. When I met her in the lobby her voice was distant and measured and her gaze looked through everything including me in that soul has left the body kind of way. I apologize profusely because I can't loving do anything else and ask if there's anything I can do like if she needs to talk or something because she's just been traumatized but she sort of wanders out the door and drives away. I feel awful and chastise myself for not being faster.

The guy in the room calls down and begins screaming at me for the next few minutes over the phone. He recounts in excruciating detail the few seconds where she comes in. This is where I learn the make and model of his handgun and how he nearly murdered a woman who "broke into" his room. Again I apologize profusely because there's little else I can do. He stays in the room. I take two dollars from the cash register and leave a note that I took it so I can get a drink and a snack because the business is cool like that. Take some petty cash and leave an IOU. I sit down and eat my chips and drink my drink and my panic attack is proudly brought to you by Diet Coke and Cheetos. When I'm done having the first of many panic attacks some minutes later the husband finally calls me back. I tell him what happened in a kind of dazed way. Noises are made. Hang up. Call back ten minutes later. I'm going to come in tomorrow or something. At the end of the night I passed the job of sleuthing to the third shift Jersey lady who's very cool about it.

So I come in the next morning and meet the wife of husband/wife team. Despite the evidence that this was misfiled in two places out of three and hosed around with by EGD and that I tried to stop it from happening does not matter because I can't get a word in with her. She's about as inoffensive as a control freak petty authoritarian can be which is to say, usually away from me but now her attention is fully focused on me. I get told by her very sternly that they're thinking about firing me but they're giving me one more chance. This is pretty standard for hospitality because you really, REALLY need to gently caress up in hospitality to get fired. Like I remember the handyman at one of my old jobs was profoundly drunk on the job and had the whiskey shits so he barged into the room and past a family of four and took a poo poo in their bathroom with the door open. They wondered who the gently caress he was because he didn't say who he was going in or out but he sure as gently caress took off his name tag so he didn't get ID'd. I never worked in the higher end of hospitality so YMMV as to what will get your fired but that man was a loving chad alcoholic handyman and he was never fired for anything on that level or less.

So anyway, the wife of the husband and wife owner/manager team doesn't want to fire me but she does want to discipline me so she can flex I guess. I still can't get a word in to explain the situation because I'm the employee and she's the boss and I obviously don't understand this so I can't explain the fuckery. She tells me that I need to lose my laptop because it's obviously a distraction. Now she assumes that I'm a desperate wage slave because this place doesn't pay for poo poo. Which up until this point had been the only thing bad about the job. Pretty bad for most people but she doesn't know that I double dip and make way more money writing fiction. So what she's actually telling me is to take a severe pay cut though she doesn't know this. I make the point that during the hiring process that I made it very clear to the husband that I have my own projects that I work on and that I was promised that I could when all the work is done and there's nothing to do. I try to be polite but firm. With growing anger she gives me the ultimatum to lose the laptop or leave. I say that I'll leave right this second.

It turns out that I called her bluff. Not because I knew she was bluffing or not but basically by default. Her eyes bug out and I can tell that she's about to start yelling which I don't need after a most sleepless night full of panic attacks. Especially because I basically managed to half convince myself that this was actually my fault. That I should have been faster. Called more. Stayed in front of the door. Waited longer. Something. Which was dumb but lack of sleep and panic attacks will do that sort of poo poo to you.

The husband steps in between us and takes over for his wife. He smooths things over, said he didn't realize that the laptop was such a big deal and that he would not have agreed if he knew that I was going to stick to it this hard. I said that this is no different than watching youtube on a smartphone or reading a book. That he should stick to his word and basically said that the file had been hosed around with and that I was barely at fault. I keep the job and the the laptop and his wife avoids me for a while.

Three days later I'm back on the job because again I'm only part time and I only work three days a week. I'm talking to the very cool elder gay dude first shifter who basically runs everything. We're shooting the poo poo and he walks me through what happened after I asked. I assumed it was his fault and a fuckup but not a malicious fuckup because he'd been pretty drat solid for six months. It turns out EGD left for an hour while he was on shift and the husband owner/manager covered for him. Another perk of the job is that the husband or wife would just cover for you sometimes if you needed to head out for a minute which just blew my mind when I realized that was a perk. He showed me his time card and everything and it matched the time for the early check-in for handgun guy. He stayed signed into EGD's profile on the computer, checked handgun guy in and moved him around because one of the rooms was unsatisfactory. He fails to change it in the system or on the paper. He just moves the folio in the bucket like a dumbass. And then hours later I check that very nice black lady into handgun guy's room and then handgun things happened.

So not only was I blamed for his fuckup but EGD was blamed for his fuckup too. I saw the aftermath of a woman's near death experience, got screamed at by a very pissed off man who detailed the near murder in excruciating detail, pissed off the wife of the manager/owner team and the husband of said team pretended to smooth everything over so he wouldn't get the blame. poo poo flowed downhill onto EGD and me so I assume the husband wouldn't get screamed at by his wife for nearly getting a woman murdered and because EGD loved his job he didn't rat him out. Neither did I. It wasn't worth it. We were barely making over minimum wage and the job really was pretty cool otherwise. And so he got away with his fuckup in the most hospitality way possible which was from a total unwillingness to rock the boat for any reason at all.

Other than the near murder on the job and the lovely cover-up it was the chillest job I've ever worked. I double dipped for over a year. 9/10. Would panic attack again.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 30, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I was in the office today and the guy on our team who is responsible for providing PC support for the executives came running down from Executive Country in a panic because 7 executives came to him through various means because their domain migrations had been mangled because apparently they can't read the instructions (No one does so we have about 30% of the migrations generating incident tickets and completely burying us).

Apparently they complained up our chain, a manager several stages above us contact executive support guy to ask "What's wrong with this amazing domain migration process that we never consulted any of you on?", executive support guy gave him both barrels...

... The domain migration is now on hold. :hmbol:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Owner assisted near manslaughter wins this page. Holy gently caress.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Whoa that check in desk story is fascinating, thanks for sharing!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Ice Phisherman posted:

Okay, so I'll share my story.

So I worked at a small motel off the highway a few years back…

Hey, it’s like JoeyVapes but without the forums superstar meltdown.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Outrail posted:

The mandatory office day or the boiling managers alive? Both?

Boiling.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

The one benefit of minimum wage poo poo jobs is if you show up somewhat regularly you have considerable leeway. The manager can huff and puff but they do not want to go though the pain of finding a passable replacement at minimum wage.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hey, it’s like JoeyVapes but without the forums superstar meltdown.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

No problem. I'm glad to share. I've got at least one more story in me that's worth telling about my violently blackout drunk manager who took me out for steak but that last one took me over an hour to write so I'll wait a bit. I just started reading the thread and got twelve pages in before I thought, "Hey, I should share my hosed up hospitality stories".

Pekinduck posted:

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

The one benefit of minimum wage poo poo jobs is if you show up somewhat regularly you have considerable leeway. The manager can huff and puff but they do not want to go though the pain of finding a passable replacement at minimum wage.

Yeah. You're basically unfirable so long as you are physically present. I was in a weird position that I had a second job. I took that job because I was desperate for socialization, not for money. The extra money was nice but what I loved most about the job besides how chill it was is that I got to know a lot of long term stays who were extremely good and cool people. So sometimes I'd just shoot the poo poo with the locals for a couple hours and have deep conversations. I definitely got their money's worth to just talk to people.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 29, 2021

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Fellow former hotel worker here. Solidarity.

The worst guy we ever had was the guy who got property banned (this is a very hard thing to do) so he saved up his poo poo in trash bags for a couple of weeks, then spread poo poo through the hallways and rubbed it on the walls in places the cameras couldn't catch him.

It took a second poo poo smearing episode for him to get caught. I always worked alone. It was real cool and good.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So this is my other hospitality story. About how I was nearly murdered by my blackout drunk manager.

So I'll call my manager Kurt. Kurt was the night shift auditor at a different place I worked at. He basically did the books and drank on the job. Not all the time but he was someone who had upgraded from non-functional alcoholic to functional alcoholic. He'd lived in Florida for a few years and had picked up a few violent felonies but that was in his teens and he was now in his late thirties looking like he was in his late forties. Definitely a shitbag but that bag was far less full of poo poo now if he was to be believed. He swore by some sort of method for not declaring felonies on job applications by doing some fuckery with his old zip code. So the shitbag is still a bag of poo poo, but just less full. It's a gradient. Looking back I think that the piece of poo poo owner just didn't care. Kurt was cool to talk to otherwise and was a pretty okay work friend.

So I've known Kurt for about four years now and he'd transitioned from night shift auditor to manager which was a mistake. Looking back the owner was probably a malignant narcissist. I remember when he hired a college aged Indian kid and his mother (the owner was Indian) and the college aged kid (unfortunately named Apu) one day came crying to me after the owner laid out what working in America was like. What Apu described to me was basically a form of indentured servitude working two dollars fifty an hour for room and board in a lovely motel. This was not the first or last time that the owner did poo poo like this to people and he'd inspired more than one mini-stroke in the head housekeeper. But it was a college job that I could study at and most of the time I was left alone the hours fit my schedule perfectly and I didn't know what a malignant narcissist was so whatever. But just imagine that this is the work environment you're stepping into when you're not alone.

Kurt did okay at first. Sobered up a bit. Wore better clothes. Shaved more frequently. And then the owner just wore on him over time. Morale was low and dark mutterings were heard pretty frequently by yours truly. Most of the time he spent watching porn on the work computer in the office. At least whenever I'd come in. He was told to do so many hours that he was now making not only less per hour than he did as a night shift auditor but less than minimum wage. And he'd be told to come in at odd hours to oversee a job which basically needed no oversight. Since this was when he was on his off hours near the end he drove drunk and then once the minor poo poo that could have waited until tomorrow was resolved or not resolved he'd drive home drunk. So poo poo was getting pretty bad near the end. I talked with him about it a few times but there was just more dark muttering.

Then tax returns came around which if you're poor as gently caress is a time for celebration. Kurt got a few hundred back and he decided to take me out for steak because we're friends. Work friends sure, but friends. And he wants to treat me to steak. So I'm like gently caress yes, free steak. We go to the Longhorn Steakhouse because that was his idea of steak in a lovely little town.

Now because it's tax return season everyone else is at the restaurant too because everyone else wants a mediocre steak so the wait is an hour long even though it wasn't the weekend. So we wait and he smokes and I don't but we shoot the poo poo anyway. And then something really bad happens. Two seats open but they're at the bar. And Kurt is an alcoholic. I'm feeling extremely wary about this but he assures me that he'll just have "a couple of drinks". I weigh my options. Free steak versus dealing with him drunk. I've dealt with him drunk pretty frequently at work so I figured I'd just deal with it.

Enter the real monster of our story. A cute, mid-twenties, woman bartender who obviously does not want to be here. She puts on a smile that does not touch her eyes in the slightest and she asks if she can "get either of us something to drink". Kurt is a simple man and he wants Crown Royal and Coke. I get the same. And because the place is slammed we wait for another hour and Kurt begins to steadily drink. I had no idea what his limits were and he's able to keep steady so I figure that maybe his alcohol tolerance is high. But as fifteen minutes turns to twenty, turns to thirty, turns to an hour he is getting more and more hammered. He leaves to the john and I look at the bartender.

"Cut him the gently caress off," I said, "I have to drive him home and I don't want him to throw up in my car."

She looks at me and then away because she's busy. But she absolutely heard me and does not care. Kurt is visibly stumbling by the time I get back. He asks for another drink and gives it to him while I'm making furious cutting off motions behind him. She does not give a single gently caress. I realize that she's just milking him for tips and she does not care what state he's in so long as she gets those loving tips. The steak comes out and I have stress dreams about previous managers so calling a manager is something I'm hard wired not to do. Anyway, a pretty solid t-bone steak is ready and piping hot. Kurt no poo poo picks up the t-bone steak with one hand and tears into it with his teeth like some sort of proto-homonid cave dweller. No knife, no fork, I am a man and there is meat and utensils are for sober people. People who are not Kurt. And I'm hoping that now that he's eating steak and fries he'll sober up because I was new to drinking and didn't know how alcohol worked.

So the crowd is pretty loud because it's a full house but Kurt is louder. Telling jokes, laughing, loudly swearing, all with his latest mouthful of steak that he's chewing. The manager comes down and explains that this is not acceptable behavior and Kurt says he'll be quiet as he briefly attempts to turn on the charm. He goes right back to loudly swearing and five minutes later we're out the door and we've been (gasp) banned from the Longhorn Steakhouse. We have to wait to get our food boxed and I've barely touched my steak because being around him is pretty loving stressful. At no point did I think to call the manager to tell the bartender to cut Kurt off. I wasn't a particularly assertive person at this point in my life. This was a problem as we'll see.

So we head out to the parking lot and I'm about to take Kurt home. He unzips his fly between my car and another car and lets rip a stream of piss in a busy parking lot. At this point I don't give a poo poo and then we get into the car. Kurt, who is now blackout drunk has a brainwave that he's going to murder the manager for ruining his night. All he has is this extremely cheap Gerber knife that is only about an inch long with a two inch plastic handle. Total piece of poo poo. But it's the kind of knife that's meant to be concealed and he has it in his hand. So I have a choice. I can either let Kurt go inside to stab the manager, probably not fatally, but then he goes down for attempted murder. I can try to convince him to come home with me and get in the car with a violently drunk alcoholic with a knife or I can call the cops on the sly to deal with his drunk rear end and explain the situation which very well might get him shot. Or I could just abandon him and release a violent blackout drunk on the town.

And I'd like to remind you that Kurt is a monster in this story but he's not the main monster. I knew what he was. A few drinks and he's fine. He was drunk on the job pretty frequently. But as he was getting drunker and drunker the bartender inside turned him from Jekyll to Hyde. There are monsters in this world who are enabled by even worse monsters. I told her multiple times that she needed to stop and she didn't give a single gently caress. And as much as Kurt turned into a violent blackout drunk intent on stabbing or at least threatening the manager with a lovely knife she enabled him in this instance. She put my life in danger.

So I do the very moral and very stupid thing of trying to talk down a man with a knife. He wasn't intent on stabbing me but that could change. I swore at the manager who wasn't there. Called him a bitchass motherfucker. Agreed with Kurt that he was a piece of poo poo but not about stabbing him. Calling him a piece of poo poo was okay. Stabbing him would land him in jail. He didn't care but I was delaying and he got bored and just got in the car. He fell asleep and we got on the highway so I could bring him home. Which was stupid but if I didn't take him home someone was probably going to get attacked while if I took him home I might only maybe get attacked.

As I'm on the highway doing sixty he wakes up, brings the knife to my throat and has this evil, crazed look on his face and says words I'll never forget.

"You get right, Ice," he said, "You get it right."

And I'm panicking because if he stabs me there is gently caress all I can do about it. My throat will be cut and we'll both die and possibly take out other people. So I respond.

"Yeah Kurt, I'll get it right."

This seems to satisfy him. He pockets his knife, puts it in his pocket and then seconds later, has a no poo poo seizure for about ten seconds. Just violent twitching and shaking. For about a minute he's perfectly still and I have no idea if he's still alive. Then he wakes up. Hyde is gone. Jekyll is back. Charismatic and funny Kurt. Also bewildered. And without skipping a beat I say...

"Hey Kurt, can I see your knife for a second?"

"Oh yeah, sure buddy, here you go."

And he hands me the knife that he threatened to kill me with one minute and one seizure earlier. I put his knife into my pocket and I go by my work so I can take a break. I talk to the very nice second shift lady while I calm down and try to deal with nearly being murdered by a violent alcoholic and I'm seriously considering calling the cops on him now that he's emotionally stable. Bringing him to the hospital didn't occur to me because I was freaked out. And I sat for about ten minutes with my steak in a container in my hands until I could find the courage to do something.

His home is about five minutes away. I decide to take him. I have his knife and if worse comes to worse I can ditch the car and call the cops. But I just want him gone. The car ride is far more chill. I'm about to nope out but I walk him to his door and explain to him that he had a seizure and that he needs to watch himself. He goes into the house and brings back a bottle of Crown Royal and a mason jar. I do not want it. He's firm and getting angry and he can sense that I don't want it but he pours it anyway. I take it because it's the easiest option. He presumably stumbles inside. I go home, pour out the Crown Royal on the ground and go to a nearby lake and chuck his folded knife into the water where it likely resides to this very day.

So if you've ever been or lived with or lived around a hardcore alcoholic you realize that these people become detectives when they sober up. At some point you went from sober to drunk and then blackout and now horrible sobriety has overtaken you. Kurt had woken up at home with no recollection of last night and the first thing Kurt does is call me to ask what happened last night and where his knife was.

So I explain all of the above including that I kept his rear end out of jail for attempted murder and that I threw his knife into the lake. Pretty calmly too because none of it seemed fully real. But I definitely know where those felonies came from. It wasn't from growing up wild. It was from being a violent alcoholic. So I explain and he thinks about it and says...

"Oh yeah. Yeah, that happens sometimes."

No apology. He didn't even try. I got off the phone and we remained coworkers until he fired me for poo poo my coworker did and then rehired me when they couldn't find anyone better. The job despite all of its many failings basically paid me to study during college. I quit a year later and I remained cool but cordial with Kurt who eventually quit being manager and was much happier as a third shift night auditor again. He's a born again Christian now and if that keeps him from drinking and attempting to murder people then hey, whatever works.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 29, 2021

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Mormon Nailer posted:

Fellow former hotel worker here. Solidarity.

The worst guy we ever had was the guy who got property banned (this is a very hard thing to do) so he saved up his poo poo in trash bags for a couple of weeks, then spread poo poo through the hallways and rubbed it on the walls in places the cameras couldn't catch him.

It took a second poo poo smearing episode for him to get caught. I always worked alone. It was real cool and good.

Solidarity friend.

We didn't have poo poo smearers but we did have kids who'd have paintball fights in the parking lot because apparently there was a pretty popular place nearby and they didn't give a poo poo. They'd constantly ruin the towels and no matter how many groups of paintball kids we'd ban more would come and they almost always did the exact same poo poo. But they'd definitely fill a dozen rooms so the owner just double billed them for the damage because all he could see was the money right now and not the extremely negative reviews that piled up.

They were among the groups that I hated having to deal with. Church groups for example were almost always just full of thieves. They'd steal thousands of dollars worth of towels after filling 50+ rooms and I always found it bizarre. Those are the worst quality towels that the hotel is legally allowed to buy that the franchise will tolerate.

Also the owner being cheap as gently caress. Basically the motel version of a slumlord but since the place was a known franchise and the internet was still new it was still awful. Shitloads of stuff would get stolen or broken and it was pulling teeth to replace anything. And when I looked at the books one day I understood very clearly that he was not buying any of the poo poo he said he was buying. Some I was pretty sure he was running some sort of money based scam for hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Like he'd just "bought" seven new computers but I worked there for five years and he'd never replaced a single one. And there were bills for towels and poo poo that I know he never, ever got because we never saw them. I turned his rear end into the IRS because gently caress him but nothing ever came of it.

He is a big reason of why I despite small business owners.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 29, 2021

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I still technically work in the industry. Now I just sell things to the industry instead of being boots on the ground.

Has a guy call me at 1:30 yesterday afternoon.

"You HAVE to overnight me a case of <very expensive soap we don't carry because nobody buys it>. I'm overbooked and (we'll call her) Gina is a dumbfuck and didn't order any!"

"We don't actually carry that brand, and haven't for the last two years. We do have <replacement expensive poo poo> and I would be happy to ship that to you via Ground, but we're not overnighting things today."

"LET ME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER."

"I'm the COO of the company."

"Well, I don't know what that means!"

This went on for a half hour until I convinced him he meant to call American Hotel Register. Which we are not.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Our host org rolled out a new payroll system to log hours. It uses Silverlight and they recommend using IE6 which is the default browser for managed Win10. If you try to change the default to Edge, Chrome or Firefox, it will reset to IE6.

They got hacked by crypto ransomware a few years ago and it make international headlines
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/staff-unable-to-access-patient-files-after-eastern-health-cyber-attack-20210329-p57eyj.html

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Those motel stories are excellent thanks for typing them up. Were either of these places adjacent to a major theme park?

Made me think about what sketchy motels must have been like before online reviews were available. I know those reviews have major issues but with Google maps you can make an educated guess about what type of motel a place is. I guess in the 1980s accidentally staying at super iffy places was more common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

My favorite hotel story is the guy who came downstairs and swore there was a ghost in his room banging around, waking him up and standing over him in the middle of the night.

It was a drunk guy from the adjoining room, and the old ghost-seer was also drunk and forgot to lock the adjoining door.

Always lock the door.