Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

barbecue at the folks posted:

I need to touch my teeth constantly with my tongue just to check they are still there, I will not sleep soundly tonight

This song will not make that better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd5w1bc1M18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Arf?
Why he killed 5 mods with a single post!

It seems like JeffyYOS is active with all the code wrangling and actually running SA as a venture, but trusts the admin team to make decisions... problem is they're frozen with inaction because of, oh, the last 2 years or whatever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FilthyImp posted:

Arf?

It seems like JeffyYOS is active with all the code wrangling and actually running SA as a venture, but trusts the admin team to make decisions... problem is they're frozen with inaction because of, oh, the last 2 years or whatever.

I imagine its more than 2 years of them being unable to make big decisions without the risk of the former owner overturning them in often humiliating ways.

E: Is this the first major crisis they have had to deal with since the transition? I can't remember

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I do think there's something kind of weird about insisting that something needs to be done nownownow in response to a really baffling situation, especially right before a long weekend in the US. The image was removed promptly and the person who posted it was no longer able to post very shortly after. Flavius was demodded the same day, and the worst posters* in the situation have been removed same day. Just from a :10bux: point of view I feel like this is excellent customer service.

*worst posters so far

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Scarodactyl posted:

I do think there's something kind of weird about insisting that something needs to be done nownownow in response to a really baffling situation, especially right before a long weekend in the US. The image was removed promptly and the person who posted it was no longer able to post very shortly after. Flavius was demodded the same day, and the worst posters* in the situation have been removed same day. Just from a :10bux: point of view I feel like this is excellent customer service.

*worst posters so far

its a common tactic to force an emotional instead of logical response. anyone who is trying to force something nownownow has an agenda

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
jeffery seems pretty active given the massive changes to the backend to make the site actually work correctly so that accusation does not strike me as legitimate. obviously i dont know poo poo regarding what mods and admins are told, but i think admins should just be explicitly told they can make calls at their own discretion and should do that. after all, anything done unjustly or with too much hair trigger can always be reversed. its not like banning or probing people from the forums causes their computer to explode and riddle them with shrapnel killing them instantly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Arf?

What inaction?

Nothing was actually urgent. Bunch of idiots got themselves banned with their own actions. What exactly should the admins have done? Somehow stopped the sex weirdos from outing themselves?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What...what WAS e/n for originally?

onanism

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Is this to do with child abuse. I do not wish to read if it is.

Also I hope that everyone is keeping safe.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RFC2324 posted:

its a common tactic to force an emotional instead of logical response. anyone who is trying to force something nownownow has an agenda

Well if the mainstream media would stop refusing to cover it, then

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Teenage Riot posted:

You know how Taintrunner would always get probes like “please stop melting down about politics this is Cinema Discusso”

It would just be like that but everywhere, all the time

or those people could just be banned

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Josef bugman posted:

Is this to do with child abuse. I do not wish to read if it is.

Also I hope that everyone is keeping safe.

Nope, just a graphic description of pulling out rotten teeth.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I seriously doubt Jeffrey is an absentee owner, I can't think of a single time anyone I've known has tried to contact him and didn't get a response within a week.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

I seriously doubt Jeffrey is an absentee owner, I can't think of a single time anyone I've known has tried to contact him and didn't get a response within a week.

I sent Jeffrey a PM after he became owner and the FYAD stuff was still raging and he never responded.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
jeff is just a vehicle account for the modmins to hop into to push the pink forum agenda

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

I sent Jeffrey a PM after he became owner and the FYAD stuff was still raging and he never responded.

that’s odd. what was the content of the PM, if you don’t mind me asking?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hey guys ive been gone for a couple days what happened

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

that’s odd. what was the content of the PM, if you don’t mind me asking?

I do, it was quite personal.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

I do, it was quite personal.

sorry to hear that, but if it was personal I think that explains why he didn’t bother responding, since he is running a business.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Honestly all things considered I think this whole... affair was handled about as well as could be expected, but the fact that this led to 2 fairly decent mods quitting out of burnout/frustration/"gently caress this I'm out" kind of stings a little and doesn't really say anything good about the current condition of the admin team.

At this point I'm not really sure how this gets resolved in the long run unless some drastic changes are implemented or Jeff re-implements the Delete Forum button and nukes one of either C-SPAM, FYAD or QCS from orbit.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

hey guys ive been gone for a couple days what happened

i posted an animated gif of a wagon getting circled, got some lols for that, felt pretty nice. also showed some old humorous drawings i made here, proud of those, should probably do more of that someday. how about yourself?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i posted an animated gif of a wagon getting circled, got some lols for that, felt pretty nice. also showed some old humorous drawings i made here, proud of those, should probably do more of that someday. how about yourself?

i finished episode 1 and 2 of sam and max season 3. Extremely good. Also ive playeda bit of Nocturne. Unfortunately i had to tend to a couple tedious zoom meetings.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

sorry to hear that, but if it was personal I think that explains why he didn’t bother responding, since he is running a business.

It was specifically about forum matters.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

i finished episode 1 and 2 of sam and max season 3. Extremely good. Also ive playeda bit of Nocturne. Unfortunately i had to tend to a couple tedious zoom meetings.

There's a lot of stuff I gotta play. Been thinking about trying out Noctrune, I haven't played an actually hard RPG tho, I don't know if that's in my wheelhouse. Curious about the Sam and Max stuff too now, I remember reading some of the comics when I was a kid, enjoyed that kind of poo poo.

e: also zoom sucks so much, every fuckin meeting app ive seen is so awful but that ones right up there as the absolute worst

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

It was specifically about forum matters.

Can you be more specific? I’m struggling to reconcile in my mind a PM that is both personal and about forum matters.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

Can you be more specific? I’m struggling to reconcile in my mind a PM that is both personal and about forum matters.

No, it was a PM for Jeffrey's eyes only and he never responded. Which is why it sucked!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

No, it was a PM for Jeffrey's eyes only and he never responded. Which is why it sucked!

Well, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope your personal issue involving the forums was resolved.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

Well, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope your personal issue involving the forums was resolved.

thoughts and prayers

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

it sounds like me that Jeff doesn't really want to be involved in the day-to-day of forum management, which, fair enough, but it does seem there needs to be a better system in place then for decision making among the admins/mods and clear communication of that process so when people start melting down about the URGENCY of something they aren't speaking to a process that nobody knows anything about.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Honestly all things considered I think this whole... affair was handled about as well as could be expected, but the fact that this led to 2 fairly decent mods quitting out of burnout/frustration/"gently caress this I'm out" kind of stings a little and doesn't really say anything good about the current condition of the admin team.

You've put your finger on it. The mod forum was exploding as this went down, and Jeff being on vacation for at least a day in the middle of it did not help - I don't begrudge him the vacation, but lol at the timing.

All of the mods have passionate feelings about these forums and how they should be run and what should be done to take care of these problems, and I think if there's one thing that unifies everyone it's that we need more direction from the admins.

I genuinely, sincerely hope that we can figure out a solution that either pleases everyone or pisses off the fewest amount of people.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I don't actually know you Arivia, so my statement stands :colbert:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I think if this happened two years ago, literally nothing would have happened, because the only admins who gave a poo poo at the time would have been too busy stopping the forums software from falling apart (JeffPOS) and busy being run out of the forums by tormp thread posters over a couple lovely posts (Cyrano).

We are so far beyond that now that we've actually narrowed down (and now witnessed the flameout of the majority of) the actual cause of most of SA's community problems now.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
The problem is that Jeff wanted to keep being the tech guy and has decision paralysis about the social side of the forums while also consolidating the power to really permanently deal with problems onto himself, then not making those decisions because of the paralysis. He just needs to find one admin he actually trusts to do things well and let them handle that side of the site with a lot of leeway. I don't blame a guy that looks at all these forum fights and just says "gently caress that"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There's a lot of stuff I gotta play. Been thinking about trying out Noctrune, I haven't played an actually hard RPG tho, I don't know if that's in my wheelhouse. Curious about the Sam and Max stuff too now, I remember reading some of the comics when I was a kid, enjoyed that kind of poo poo.

e: also zoom sucks so much, every fuckin meeting app ive seen is so awful but that ones right up there as the absolute worst

ive never plakyed a truly hard rpg before but i did fine against an infamous boss fight cause the battle system is alost puzzle like. havent gotten very far so maybe its not the case but so far its not frustrating. it seems plenty manageable and theres always a solution at hand, you just gotta really try and make use of all your choices and engage with a lot of the mechanics. i think of it kind of like in isaac, the game is doing its best to try and screw u over so if you gotta use a full party heal unlike most rpgs, then go for it. if any of that makes u curious try it, but if youre still aprehensive wait for a sale.

as for sam and max, the original is very pretty and stuff but the puzzles at times are very bad examples of the whole nonsense adventure games got to back then.
the telltale sam and maxes are great fun because even if they are easy, they rarely get lost in that insane logic. the first 2 seasons i played forever ago so i dunno how they hold up, they are plenty ugly (they remade season 1 though, and i think theyre gonna do season 2 eventually too), but each episode is like a 2 hour affair and even if the writing can be a bit too wacky they had some very decent jokes. i really recommend you try them. they used to give away the Abe Lincoln Must Die! episode for free and if thats still somehow an option give them a whirl

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
That description for Nocturne actually sells it pretty well to me, I'll probably pick it up.

I'm also remembering I picked up the telltale monkey island games years ago and never got around to playing them, partially cuz they are kind of poo poo to look at, lol. I'll put the Sam and Max stuff on my wishlist and see if they go on sale, or otherwise I'll give the telltale stuff another shot before then.

Tiler Kiwi has a new favorite as of 21:04 on May 29, 2021

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you play Nocturne just make sure you keep your original Pixie around for the whole game

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

He was also literally the source of the original, 99% bullshit "Obnoxious Misogynist Bernie Bro" stereotype. The writer who came up with and popularized that characterization had Taintrunner as a couchsurfer for several months around that time.

It really is a small world sometimes.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Scarodactyl posted:

*worst posters so far

I don't think the admins did a bad job of responding once poo poo hit the fan, but a lot of the frustration comes from people saying Flavius was a stupid rear end in a top hat who shouldn't be a mod for a long while now, and being met with refusal, indifference, and deflection and from the staff.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah but when you say that about basically every mod people kind of start tuning you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

mmj posted:

The problem is that Jeff wanted to keep being the tech guy and has decision paralysis about the social side of the forums while also consolidating the power to really permanently deal with problems onto himself, then not making those decisions because of the paralysis. He just needs to find one admin he actually trusts to do things well and let them handle that side of the site with a lot of leeway. I don't blame a guy that looks at all these forum fights and just says "gently caress that"

QCS/Trumpthread ran out the last admin that Jeff really trusted. Wouldn't be surprised if they ran out the next.