Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Just updated my GL build which is now super comfy with Evade Extender 3, Evade Window 3, Guard 3, Guard Up, Flinch Free. It's mostly remained the same as when I was at 2*/3*, but giving up 2 levels of Crit Eye and 1 level of Evade Window has given: +1 Evade Extender, Guard Up, +1 Focus, Flinch Free, NEB, +1 Health Boost. Damage is slightly higher too, says the build tool.

I have a variant of this with no Guard and Evade Window 5 instead. That can fit in a lot more crit boosting skills. But this is just way more comfy and fun to play.

The build is for the GL mod, hence the Focus alongside Capacity Boost. Mod lets you use all of the GL attack flows and I do - it's great.

Given how much damage the slap part of the full burst combo can do, Speed Sharpening 3 is a offensive skill. I played with Offensive Guard for a bit earlier, but it's too inconsistent if you're playing a lot of MP. Fun playstyle though.

All those nice decos are from running the improved deco drop rates mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Valstrax pwns...good rear end fight and a great roster of poo poo to fight now that all the apexes have solo battles and they filled out the quest list with some double and triple action. Rise kicks rear end

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Beat all the quests. 3.0 really added some challenging content, it's great. AT Velkana, Alatreon, and Fatalis were all super hard, but I can see what people said they were missing from world. Not having a minute here and there with Temporal mantle really keeps you on edge. I carted more to Allmother than anything else in the game.

Trying to get awards, has anyone found the best method for crowns? At first I thought, maybe rampage for some, because the final monster is huge - but that doesn't seem to count from beating a massive Izuchi just recently. Then I thought that upsurges only really seem to be present in Expeditions, so I hung out in a Village expedition and killed 7 large monsters, thinking their size might vary more there. It's a low sample size, but none of them were a new big or small record for me.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Man the new Valstrax armor with IG really owns hard. I'm dealing 90s DMG per hit in the air and then finishing the air combo with a 450 DMG slam on one cycle, 900 DMG if I get off a full cycle (which I never really do) on all mother. If I ground combo, i start at 118dmg and can get up to 180 per ground combo hit. The damage is so nice.

Also, i figured out the blender part is quite easy, you just wait for the explosion in the center to finish, then wirebug past the blender blades things. Even better, if you're on glaive, you can easily get off a full cycle on the all mother in the middle. It's great.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

v1ld posted:

I don't think there's much as busted as the LBG in Rise in the other games given its range, mobility and damage as well as extremely generous ammo selections and clip sizes.

Maybe Valor HBG in GU, but I feel like Rise LBG is safer and just as damaging with lower risk and animation commitment.

HBG is something I plan to come back to in Iceborne after I finish the game with GL.

Iceborne is great, it is now my favorite MH just like GU and Rise are. Impressed with the variety and detail in the sub species. There's real challenge by the end of 3* and on up. Triple carted in an MP Daora fight mostly to not realizing how the tornados swell right before they dissipate. Lesson learned.

Had the most awful Daora fight yet. 48 minutes to slay it because 2 folks quit out after two early carts but the Bow and I stuck it out and got it in the end. Maybe 30 minutes was spent watching an rear end in a top hat of a Savage Jho intrude into every room the Kush would fly to. It was changing zones far more frequently than I've seen HR Kush do in the Elders Recess. Bloody Jho would not leave even after multiple dung pods and if it wandered off the Kush would follow it soon after. It never quit raging so maybe it ignores pods when enraged.

The bowguns are balanced out by being an absolute bore to use

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The bowguns are balanced out by being an absolute bore to use

Also anything outside pierce means A TON of ammo / radial wheel micromanaging which is annoying as all hell. I love me some sticky spam but it’s tedious to actually use.

I’m trying to use the Zin RF Slicing lbg loadout more since it’s definitely fun it just doesn’t feel like it’s packing the punch it does.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
I imagine it's even worse in the older games where gathering requires consumable items.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm kind of surprised they didn't just ditch ammo limits for the bowguns in this game, since World it hasnt been possible to ever run out of ammo since you can just farcaster and restock. Probably ways to just give you infinite ammo and just keep reloading breaks to balance ammo types

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Valstrax fight was really cool, but maybe almost too fair. I definitely took hits, but I didn't cart and nothing ever felt like bullshit even with its huge area attacks.

I'm also glad that rampage gunlances are good so that I can make one and give it the almudron skin since boy I am bad at wide style gunlances.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

chumbler posted:

Valstrax fight was really cool, but maybe almost too fair. I definitely took hits, but I didn't cart and nothing ever felt like bullshit even with its huge area attacks.

I'm also glad that rampage gunlances are good so that I can make one and give it the almudron skin since boy I am bad at wide style gunlances.

Me after getting hit by its stupid long range spear spin:

are_you_sure_about_that.gif

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I had some fun practicing with Bow today with my friends. Fighting in a casual group helping someone get up the ranks kicking rear end feels good, powerful even. I could feel my muscle memory on performing well improve, I even actually managed to use Dodgebolt for its intended purpose a few times. Its window is probably a little too narrow... but it feels good to pull off at least!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Thinking about learning Dual Blades, I've messed around them for a bit, and so far I've got;
-Enter Demon Mode as often as you can
-Push buttons and watch things happen

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I hit HR82 earlier today. It's so nice that Apex Rampages increase your HR so much, I don't even need to do many more to hit 100.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Thinking about learning Dual Blades, I've messed around them for a bit, and so far I've got;

I always use Dual Blades against Rakna-Kadaki and I can never tell what's going on because I'm hugging too close to her sides so Im just mashing attack and occasionally taking damage from an off-screen attack but man it works real good

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Enter Demon mode and beat rear end until the gauge is filled. Exit Demon Mode and continue beating rear end. When the gauge is nearly empty, enter Demon Mode and refill it, repeat forever.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Valstrax resentment skill + rage slash is sick

https://twitter.com/dinominal/status/1398832317771051010

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

This is correct. Occasionally work in dodge and that’s the whole weapon.

Then you have the wirebug counter which feels awesome to land

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Also try aerial to make the push buttons step really fancy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Bring back Yama Tsukami

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Nice! I’ve been playing with pieces of this set and got 1372 rage slash on apex zinogre yesterday.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I finished the Rajang arena fight with the lance last night after about five tries, and was reminded of my favorite Monster Hunter thing ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzvEj-fCoNQ

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Dirk the Average posted:

They're in the smithing list. You just have to look more closely.

lol

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

^^^ I didn't see the joke the first time.

Was just watching this video and it's cool just how much Capcom tweaked the Guiding Lands over a few months. Part of being on easier to patch consoles and PC is actually tweaking the game to be better as needed, but it's not something they've done a lot of in the past as I understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzbw45U6q2Q

The Guiding Lands has 88 monsters to hunt. That's crazy given where World started. Hyped for both Rise G-rank and MH 6th gen.

Love Rise but have also gotten a whole lot more appreciation for just how great World and Iceborne are. The clutch claw feels a lot better this time around, especially with a Shaver deco and the extended timer.

I hope they keep up the difference in feel between the mainline and mobile team games. It's good to have the difference.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've got two HR quests left before I've done them all and man, I miss investigations. All these 2/3 monster hunts don't have any real motivation behind them and I feel like I'm doing them just to do them. Would much rather have the system where the hunt monsters are randomized but in exchange you have additional chances for gold-tier loot

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I think the multi-monster hunts make more sense if you can't re-stock. It feels like a vestige of old MH that they haven't either updated or excised. I felt the same way about hot and cold drinks in World, it's like they tried to make them more convenient to get, but thereby made them pointless.

I've been trying to think of a way to keep fighting all monsters fresh. I think Arenas are the right kind of idea, put restrictions on the player and give specified loot. I wonder if it could be expanded, where you could take hunts of any monster and apply restrictions that up your loot. Like, even a baby monster could have a really strict time limit, or a weapon rarity cap for loot you can't get fighting endgame monsters. I think that'd be fun.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think keeping a relatively steady flow of event quests will help keep things fresh a bit, even if it's just weapon and armor skins.

Though something that I heard mentioned for why crossover content looks like it will be limited/nonexistent is that there could be a loss of trust in capcom after the data breach, and that's why the initial roadmap is capcom only. It's certainly understandable if that's the case, but disappointing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Namielle is a very cool monster design, really enjoyed that fight even never having seen it before. Cool variant on the AOE attacks of a Kirin.

Shara Ishvalda on the other hand - here's hoping I don't need the armor or weapons! Won't know until another unskippable credits sequence finish rolling.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i did a join request for the allmother and we got her with 0 faints. i think i won the pub lottery.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think the luckiest pub group I ever got was with two longsword users and a guy with the status ailment HBG and we alternated stuns, paralysis, and knockouts and the thing never stood up off the ground and we did the hunt in like five or six minutes

against Apex Rathalos

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zinogre is not a mon that lacks respect, especially the Apex from what I read, but I absolutely love the Guiding Lands intro for Zin. Electric bug, yeah. Surprise, Rathalos from the air! Surprise, Diablos from the ground! Stop, it's Zinogre ambling along like they ain't no thing. And they ain't in front of the electric boogaloo.

Good dog! is what I think every time I see Zin. Never mind being carted by it.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man, do you really not get a reward for doing the special triple apex mission? It was okay but I honestly preferred the other mission better. The Infernal Springs is significantly better than this game's arena zone, a lot roomier so it feels like you could actually feasibly fight both monsters at once instead of just forcing them apart with the fence. The Diablos/Rathalos/Magnamalos fight was really fun, the first two we did at the same time and it was super hectic. We wordlessly agreed that someone had to distract one monster while the rest fought the other, but we never made a hard decision on who did what. For a while, one guy was luring the Rathalos, then they would fight each other and we would switch, sometimes going 2v2, then at some point I cut the Rath's tail and I switch over to fighting it while the rest killed Diablos. We each got a mount at the same time and had the monsters straight-up battle each other without doing any of the usual manipulation, just seeing who would win in a rodeo fight. Super hectic but with plenty of room to maneuver, incredibly fun fight. The apex one is just, you kill one monster then another then the last one, hardly any different from just doing their missions sequentially, and you don't even get a ton of jewels or anything for your trouble.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, I dunno if I missed it but I didn't get any indication of anything but the guild card title. Shouldn't I get a rainbow pigment for my armor? Isn't that the tradition? I was willing to give them slack until now since this is the last super major update for the base game, but... this makes no sense.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Your reward is the feeling of accomplishment for a job well done.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Completing the ultimate village quest for completing all other village quests unlocks an eyepatch gear, as well, for clearing all arenas with all weapons gets a feather with carver pro or w/e, so for the Hub equivalent not to have something similar is a bit of a bummer.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Achmed Jones posted:

i couldn't find a pub group that could stay alive through teostra, so i decided to do it myself

first cart because he juggled me into a wall, nothing to be done

second cart because magnamalo would not leave us alone - they had two turf wars. during the second, they landed on me, and then magnamalo killed me before i regained control

and then i killed teostra, but dang magnamalo just would not leave us alone

also teostra went to sleep twice. the first time, i had to spend a couple minutes killing lovely izuchis or whatever because they would not chill long enough to plan some bombs. by the time i killed them, teostra woke up. i was very annoyed. then magnamalo showed up, they turf war'ed, i fainted, etc.

overall it was a very annoying fight. not particularly hard, just also not really fun. i got a poo poo-ton of dragon punch guard points off though, so that was cool. teostra was less annoying though than the other monsters (large and small) that just wouldn't leave us alone to fight. rajang showed up at one point, too.

anyway now i have the hi ninja sword so that's cool

Bring dung bombs next time so you can shoo an invader away.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh! the only time i've tried dung bombs were against the target to see what'd happen, and they didn't do anything. didn't occur to me that they'd work on invaders. thanks for the tip!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I've just opened up the Iceborne end game. What should I be doing in terms of Guiding Lands vs events? Don't know which events are worth doing or the sequence in which they released. I guess release order is probably best so I don't blow out the power curve and remove the challenge?

Game had a pop-up saying MR Kulve is now available but drops mats to upgrade HR Kulve weapons instead of MR weapons. Are those worth grinding for GL now and HBG later? I see a lot of Kjarr weapons in use as well, are those Kulve too?

Any Iceborne post game tips in terms of things to do appreciated.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Guiding Lands is important but you can't make full use of it until you get to MR 100, so focus on that first. Aim to upgrade what you can, and don't stress too hard about doing something wrong, so to speak. The best quests to quickly grind MR if that's all you care about are the event quests with 5 monsters in a row. Otherwise, work on what you need to fight or just get checkmarks. As for Kulve, you can try to fight her if you want but it's mostly the Kjarr weapons that are relevant, and even so mostly for high-power elemental weapons like Dual Blades. Another "important" thing is to follow the story for the guiding lands unlocks which starts with the "Ol Shattered Horn" nonsense, which will eventually lead to Safi'jiiva.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks, that's very useful.

Unlocking MR took me straight to MR49, hopefully there're more banked levels as I've cleared all the optionals.

Iceborne is absolutely huge, content-wise.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any real downside for Insta Block for Lance? Even if you miss the Just Defend it still seems you can just hold it to get the regular guard.