Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
As someone who has never personally been subjected to homophobia, I feel like I am the final authority on which homophobic slurs are bad and which ones are not actually homophobic and I am allowed to use with abandon and no one can judge me for using them. If you disagree you are simply letting personal biases get in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

DemoneeHo posted:

Truly no demographic in history has been as oppressed as the anti-vaxxers

https://twitter.com/JakeLobin/status/1398384490691665936?s=19

turns out stetson disagreed with the shop's thoughts

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A hat store that caters to the right wing in Nashville doesn't need to carry Stetsons... Whats that? Oh. Oh dear. Bless their hearts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Twenty gallons of piss in a ten-gallon hat

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

https://twitter.com/torriangray/status/1398784631483224070?s=20

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

As someone who has never personally been subjected to homophobia, I feel like I am the final authority on which homophobic slurs are bad and which ones are not actually homophobic and I am allowed to use with abandon and no one can judge me for using them. If you disagree you are simply letting personal biases get in the way.
Similarly, "They're just words!!! You are choosing to let them have power over you!! Something something sticks and stones! Why yes, I am a straight man who went to an all white high school, why do you ask"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lmao, imagine seeing that line and not asking "under what conditions do I get to do this" as you rush to do the thing they put Al Capone away for.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Bing Bong so simple!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Bing Bong so simple!

I mean, it actually is. All you have to do is be a full time student making poverty wages.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The followup is crazier
https://twitter.com/torriangray/status/1398784816502374403?s=20

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

She should probably toss a couple towels over that 50k+ pavement princess behind her.

e: :lmao: @ "they cant house us all." Oh bless your heart, you've been voting for the assholes that most certainly would do just that.

Queen-Of-Hearts has a new favorite as of 17:42 on May 30, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I half remember a NZ made kidult drama-as-public-service thing where a guy addressing a bunch of kids talks about how the word arose from burning gay people along with the witches. No idea if any truth to it but got the message across.

Also always assumed that Uncle Monty from Withnail and I's 'I mean to have you even if it must be burglary! ' meant that turd burglar was Shakespeare.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jakabite posted:

I knew a guy who used to use ‘you loving stupid idiot’ and something about it really cut deep. Like idiot wasn’t enough, you’re a particularly stupid one.

Also seconding anything to do with mines and the circus being ripe for insults.

One of my favourites is ‘who put 20p in you?’ As its a question and in no way responds to what the person was saying, it catches people off guard.

It’s the vitriol in it, I think. Insults are one thing but the way those three words sound when chained together communicates a whole other level of disgust for the person you’re talking to.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

She should probably toss a couple towels over that 50k+ pavement princess behind her.

I don't know how I haven't heard this term before today, but I love it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The best insults are so baffling that your target loses track of the conversation, yet he still ends up convinced it was a mortal insult even if he doesn't know what the insult actually was

Adding a random word to a slur or swearword just sounds childish, but completely random words strung together with the right vitriol will absolutely be show stoppers

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Chuffing Melon is still the best regional insult though, it’s especially effective when directed at someone out of area because they will look confused and everyone else within earshot will do the northern nod.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

turns out stetson disagreed with the shop's thoughts

The funniest part to me is that they say "patches are here and they turned out GREAT!"

That patch looks like absolute poo poo. It looks like it's disintegrating off her chest.

If that's the one they're using to advertise, what do they get if they buy it, a handfull of string?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
There are plenty of good insults if you are willing to go archaic

"Slubberdegullion" is one of my personal favourites.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grimdude posted:

I guess you could pretend these are comparable, but they really aren't. The f word in question has been widely known to be a homophobic slur since like the early 1900's and hadn't really been used to mean the bundle of sticks thing since like the 1700's. So your strawman example here kind of sucks.

Whereas I guarantee you almost no one outside the internet hears "turd burglar" and assumes it's a homophobic slur. Hell you maybe haven't even heard of the term unless you watched Beavis and Butthead or South Park.

Dude, I had no idea of the origin of turd burglar specifically coming from a homophobic comic in the middle of a homophobic rant and I knew it was homophobic. And while I probably fall into the terminally online category this thread is the first time I've come across the term since grade school.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I've a vague notion of using "beef measle" as an insult. Not only does it roll off the tongue nicely, calling someone a colloquial term for a tapeworm cyst seems right.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Grimdude posted:

I guess you could pretend these are comparable, but they really aren't. The f word in question has been widely known to be a homophobic slur since like the early 1900's and hadn't really been used to mean the bundle of sticks thing since like the 1700's. So your strawman example here kind of sucks.

Whereas I guarantee you almost no one outside the internet hears "turd burglar" and assumes it's a homophobic slur. Hell you maybe haven't even heard of the term unless you watched Beavis and Butthead or South Park.

I very much look forward to your forthcoming thesis on the Spanish word for black.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Grimdude posted:

Are you loving kidding?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SimonChris posted:

There are plenty of good insults if you are willing to go archaic

"Slubberdegullion" is one of my personal favourites.

Cicadalek posted:

Most of the insults brought up have been loving terrible, I'm sorry but I cannot stay silent on this. You can't force a new swear, just make good use of the ones you have (that arent slurs), I promise you they will stretch further than you think.

I want to add, Americans, don't use British swears. If you say "loving knobhead" in an American accent you will sound like a right wanker.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

RoboRodent posted:

I've a vague notion of using "beef measle" as an insult. Not only does it roll off the tongue nicely, calling someone a colloquial term for a tapeworm cyst seems right.

I'm gonna stick with "motherfucker"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grimdude posted:

I can assure you it is still used to mean a bundle of sticks. Due to one of my projects at work it comes up a lot, I don't use it as it just weirds me out but the non online folk I work with wouldn't even think of the slur meaning at all.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roblo posted:

but the non online folk I work with wouldn't even think of the slur meaning at all.

:psyduck:

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Roblo posted:

I can assure you it is still used to mean a bundle of sticks. Due to one of my projects at work it comes up a lot, I don't use it as it just weirds me out but the non online folk I work with wouldn't even think of the slur meaning at all.

roblo my comrade i dont think saying human being is like an online thing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Yeh in the U.K. the f word is used about 50 times a day by smokers and no one even thinks of it as a slur outside of the internet - the caveat to that is that online British people are hyper aware of what it means to Americans and are super careful to say cigarette instead.

It’s a pity that a few people in this thread don’t do us the same courtesy when they are going “lol I bet turd burglar is a funny funny phrase when said in a British accent so I’m going to defend my right to say it at all cost”. When it was invented by a British man who could be compared with Rush Limbaugh when it comes to gay rights.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I know. Seems weird. Tbh the fact I'm in England might have something to do with it. All I've ever heard here used as a slur (and not exactly much) is the abbreviated version, despite it meaning cigarettes as well. These aren't chuds or anything either, I should point out - and we work for a very left leaning/inclusive government agency.

Anyway. Still means a bundle of sticks. I don't use it regardless.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
All engish people know is transphobia anyway so who cares

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Sounds a bit like knob jockey to me.

Bellend is an s tier insult.

I do like using "inbred streak of piss" too.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Platystemon posted:

What?

I really don’t recommend using the word, but I’m pretty sure I’ve come across it used innocently in works more recent than that.
“At last reluctantly Gandalf himself took a hand. Picking up a human being he held it aloft for a moment, and then with a word of command, naur an edraith ammen! he thrust the end of his staff into the midst of it.”

I don't know how much Tolkien counts though because he liked old words but both the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings use it that way....At least I hope so.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Calling people names is childish, just tell them to eat poo poo.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Darkhold posted:

“At last reluctantly Gandalf himself took a hand. Picking up a human being he held it aloft for a moment, and then with a word of command, naur an edraith ammen! he thrust the end of his staff into the midst of it.”
F'narr f'narr.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How can anybody possibly forget mr brain's pork faggots.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

endocriminologist posted:

All engish people know is transphobia anyway so who cares

Excuse me no. I’m sat here having spent years of my life fighting for LGBT+ rights and you have no idea how much it pisses off butch lesbians like me to have people casually propagating this myth.

In this country we have a problem with a tiny minority of very loud middle class Tories, plus about 4 grifting “political lesbians” who have allied themselves with American Christian anti-LGBT pro life fundamentalists in order to campaign for the reinstatement of section 28.

gently caress you.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Generic insults never work you have to attack their insecurities with specific insults that shake them to their very core.

If you aren't actively trying to destroy their self identity what is the point.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

How can anybody possibly forget mr brain's pork faggots.

The Birds Eye commercial is funnier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rR-wqxRjIg

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
(That worked because he was very famous at the time for playing a geordie on TV, and it’s a geordie dish aaaaand I’m old)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

wtf is a geordie?