Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Happy Thread posted:

Now I'm bugging out because today I crossed one of my own safety lines by accident. It won't sound like it to anyone else. I got a box of frozen bonbons at the grocery, opened it and ate one.

All these visuals immediately filled my head of those frozen seafood shipments that allowed COVID to start little outbreaks in countries that otherwise didn't have it. I felt a twinge of hesitation as I went for a bite but ignored it since I already eat frozen ice cream. No need to overthink it, right, I already did that work for ice cream previously. But when I took a look at the bitten cross section, I realized that this is a dessert that had to be assembled in the open air while frozen. It's not like the more sealed manufacturing process for an ice cream tub, when I guess it goes striaght in.

So next I'm on Youtube looking up How It's Made videos of frozen desserts. The factory lines are zipping by, hundreds of the things being assembled by machine, and sure enough every video has workers with hairnets but no face masks sitting on the line, hovering over it, breathing on it and filling the room with their air. One actually showed a maskless guy opening the vat of ice cream and sticking his face up to the opening to take a big whiff, all his personal air freezing onto the product. A lot of camera shots featured masks. But over 50% dicknosers. So many dicknosers.

I handled someone's frozen exhalations today. I tasted it so it definitely made it to my olfactory bulb. The risk is small, but unknown. Food factories are famous for outbreaks. The manufacture date on the box did not bring relief: Feburary 2021, hello newer strains. For a year I have washed every surface of every grocery and other object entering my front door to keep COVID out of our house for our cats. If all that was futile because of a bonbon I'm gonna be mad.

this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 minutes!

crepeface posted:

lol a lot of stones being thrown from glass dead gay comedy forums.

lol what is this even supposed to mean?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
dicknosers

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
when i see someone's nose peeking out of the top of their face mask, it reminds me a lot of a cock

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Holy poo poo, lmao. It's like an over the top parody of snowflake liberals by an unfunny conservative 'comedian', but somehow actually real.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

That rereg is right, we have let the golden years of our lives slip away, occasionally clicking on this thread when there's new posts.

The Covid threads helped me calm my Covid anxiety. Occasionally checking in on the newest round of "you went to the grocery store without your defibrillator?!" helped me realize how much of my stress was justified and how much was exacerbated by OCD.

What rereg?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sometimes I wonder why Happy Thread/Dumb Lowtax continues to post here when nothing on this website makes them happy. The rest of the time, though, I don't wonder about them at all.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

i love “for our cats” at the end

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh they were the one who came up with an enemies list of secret fyads and acted so out of it the rest of the anti fyad coalition had to stop the car and tell him to get out, lol

if they were doing a bit they'd be inspired

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

someone find the post about the goon freaking out about covid and ice cream

because it was the same guy compiling the people talking about how the neopets discussion were really secret fyad users

Tbf, ArfJason is an open fyad user

The rest was insane tho

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
What even started the FYAD/CSpam thing? I'm assuming it's just a hold over from The Troubles.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i mean unironically yea its probably better to think about dumb forums drama than to write long posts about how to prepare for the coming sex slave trade once covid wipes out society

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ty

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Owlspiracy posted:

i mean unironically yea its probably better to think about dumb forums drama than to write long posts about how to prepare for the coming sex slave trade once covid wipes out society

I often think that I could use the time I spend following forums drama in reading actual literature or something but the reality of the thing is that I would just probably play more video games or binge some bullshit on netflix to unwind, for me it's just a way to relax after work and that time would not be spent in anything uplifting and productive. It's not optimal or "healthy" but gently caress you if you think I need to justify my lifestyle choices to some anonymous dick on the internet. Doomposting about the coming rape gangs that ravage the wasteland that is only a few years away is something very different and a whole different degree of self-harm.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

This was like 10-11 months after it was announced they hadn't seen transmission via surfaces

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I remember that LF had those Peak Oil threads that had the exact same energy. I'm not saying that the climate crisis will go away the same way, I know way too much about the science of "ghastly futures" to think it's just another apocalyptic movement, but still. I don't know if some of those peeps graduated to doom posting about the climate or COVID but I would wager that a large % of those people still lead very unhappy lives and continue the cycle of self-harm stressing out about something else.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

sa caused me harm today because i got hungry reading the fast food forum and just ordered and ate 20 mcnuggets from mcdonalds for the first time in years and want to die

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oof

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I had the C-Spam covid thread bookmarked and lurked at the very beginning, but by April 2020 it gone from educational to "lurking and observing the world's dumbest ant farm". Then, by late April I learned they were dressing like this to go buy a bag of apples from the store and I un-bookmarked before they could break my brain.

In a world full of trash you must become the bag

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
goontazumas revenge

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
this site is the bad habits worth of 20 years of drama addicts and trolls.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

you’re welcome :)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

barbecue at the folks posted:

I often think that I could use the time I spend following forums drama in reading actual literature or something but the reality of the thing is that I would just probably play more video games or binge some bullshit on netflix to unwind, for me it's just a way to relax after work and that time would not be spent in anything uplifting and productive. It's not optimal or "healthy" but gently caress you if you think I need to justify my lifestyle choices to some anonymous dick on the internet. Doomposting about the coming rape gangs that ravage the wasteland that is only a few years away is something very different and a whole different degree of self-harm.

These forums have actually improved my life quite a bit. They have given me advice on getting ahead at work, both general and helping solve specific problems, they have connected me to communities that have helped me through some hard points in my life, they have shifted me left politically, and have helped provide me with the vocabulary to be able to see my transness.

Like any good hobby, they can improve your life, but like any hobby they can ruin it if it becomes too much of your life.

Some people need to remember that the forums will still be here after they go spend an hour laying in the grass reading a good book, or playing with a random puppy on the way home instead of rushing to post. Also, you can still post while doing those things, so its not even an either or.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the same people who think that everything is over, there is no point, all is lost are the same people that won't leave the house without a hazmat suit because they want to live forever on the dead earth of their nightmares

they are scared and they are so very addicted to that fear

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Owlspiracy posted:

sa caused me harm today because i got hungry reading the fast food forum and just ordered and ate 20 mcnuggets from mcdonalds for the first time in years and want to die

Did you get the BTS meal? Because if not I'm starting some loving drama right now

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

barbecue at the folks posted:

I remember that LF had those Peak Oil threads that had the exact same energy. I'm not saying that the climate crisis will go away the same way, I know way too much about the science of "ghastly futures" to think it's just another apocalyptic movement, but still. I don't know if some of those peeps graduated to doom posting about the climate or COVID but I would wager that a large % of those people still lead very unhappy lives and continue the cycle of self-harm stressing out about something else.

I mean, it's also the idea that if you live a happy life then the looming threat of it ending is made worse. If your already miserable then what is the worst that can happen? More misery?

The ultimate problem is that nothing makes intuitive sense and there is a feeling, caused by knowing at least a little bit about the world, that "you don't matter". Now of course people matter to other people and to themselves, but an even passing knowledge of how the world works makes people more and more convinced that anything they do isn't going to change anything. That sense of powerlessness and alineation gets expressed in some weird as gently caress ways, especially on the internet.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 18:47 on May 30, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Did you get the BTS meal? Because if not I'm starting some loving drama right now

idk what that is

edit: oh i guess its some themed meal? no i got 20 nuggets, not 10, with no drink

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

What is a behind the scenes meal?

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, it's also the idea that if you live a happy life then the looming threat of it ending is made worse. If your already miserable then what is the worst that can happen? More misery?

in all seriousness this is very, very unhealthy thinking - "I might as well not enjoy my life because it might get worse at some point!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Owlspiracy posted:

in all seriousness this is very, very unhealthy thinking - "I might as well not enjoy my life because it might get worse at some point!"

I mean I do sort of agree. It's not great, but it's an explanation of how people can think.

But I also do have to wonder about what "healthy thinking" really is. So much of it at work and elsewhere seems to be more based around "how can you be most productive?" or things of that nature.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Zil posted:

What is a behind the scenes meal?

Maybe the most culturally important moment we have the opportunity to live through?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ou8WmrZ0Pw

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Josef bugman posted:

The ultimate problem is that nothing makes intuitive sense and there is a feeling, caused by knowing at least a little bit about the world, that "you don't matter". Now of course people matter to other people and to themselves, but an even passing knowledge of how the world works makes people more and more convinced that anything they do isn't going to change anything. That sense of powerlessness and alineation gets expressed in some weird as gently caress ways, especially on the internet.

That is some serious doomer brain, not a rational, healthy or normal way of viewing the world.

Jesus christ. "Well this flower sure is pretty but the world is warming so might as well cut it down and save some time!" Except it's not even that, it's posting rants on the internet about how people are so loving dumb and you're (the royal you, not you personally) are obviously so much better because you know it's pointless to enjoy anything.

Your post made me seriously sad because that is some depressing poo poo that no one should be feeling. It's the exact opposite of self improvement, self love, activism, whatever.

gently caress.

I'm gonna go watch some birds or something.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I do sort of agree. It's not great, but it's an explanation of how people can think.

But I also do have to wonder about what "healthy thinking" really is. So much of it at work and elsewhere seems to be more based around "how can you be most productive?" or things of that nature.

healthy thinking is when you enjoy things and feel happiness, or do things like eat mcdonalds chicken nuggets, instead of making 100 posts a day about how you think humanity should start exterminating itself because of the coming climate apocalypse, or posting tens of thousands of words about the specific ways in which you're powerless. because even when you make those posts in jest - or semi-ironically - it starts creating unhealthy, pessimistic thinking patterns which actively harm your interactions with the world around you.

you should be able to understand that the prospect of future loss doesn't preclude immediate (or even ongoing! happiness).

i've posted this before in d&d - and many others have as well - but if this is how you think about the world you need to get help :(

Owlspiracy has a new favorite as of 19:02 on May 30, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Maybe the most culturally important moment we have the opportunity to live through?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ou8WmrZ0Pw

These guys brought back sweet chili sauce. They are gods

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

exquisite tea posted:

My wife has played Neopets for the last 20 years, she's like 1%er rich in that game.

Prepare for an intervention if she mentions thetans

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Your post made me seriously sad because that is some depressing poo poo that no one should be feeling. It's the exact opposite of self improvement, self love, activism, whatever.

"The flower is pretty, but I am worried about other people getting to enjoy it in the future" is closer to what I believe personally. Sure, it's not a good way of thinking about things but, well, it is a way folks think about things.

Owlspiracy posted:

you should be able to understand that the prospect of future loss doesn't preclude immediate (or even ongoing! happiness).

i've posted this before in d&d - and many others have as well - but if this is how you think about the world you need to get help :(

I don't think any of those things applies specifically to me. Certainly any berk going "kill everyone to get started on the climate apocalypse" is not well. But going "there is little I can do but I'm going to try" and living with it seems more honest than pretending that you matter in anything but the most immediate sense.

But it does mean the happiness will fade away. To some people that is worse than never having it in the first place.

It isn't, but it seems weird that every time I post anything even a little bit "glum" people seem to think it's a direct threat to myself.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Josef bugman posted:

But it does mean the happiness will fade away. To some people that is worse than never having it in the first place.

It isn't, but it seems weird that every time I post anything even a little bit "glum" people seem to think it's a direct threat to myself.

its because you just posted "But it does mean the happiness will fade away. To some people that is worse than never having it in the first place." - that reads to me as extremely unhealthy thinking that is actively harmful and should be addressed through therapy and treatment...

(like this legitimately is not a normal way to interact with the world.)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok found the sea of porcupines post

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think antidoomer thought can veer into a sort of weird nihilism in its own right, where you get very concerned about people being concerned about actually serious issues because you feel it is pointless to care about things. i think theres room for balance and understanding not everyone thinks, reacts, or copes with things like you, and that is okay.

e: like if the thought of future climate disaster upsets you, that's a normal reaction to reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The neopets thing was not a troll tactic. I just wanted to know more about the contest psychos