Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they should make a nuclear reactor the size of a lunch box and it heats your water and also you can plug in 1-2 appliances. its would be great for camping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Number should be powered by nukes

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rutibex posted:

they should make a nuclear reactor the size of a lunch box and it heats your water and also you can plug in 1-2 appliances. its would be great for camping

they're not proper reactors but an rtg would do the trick

i dream of a world where everyone has an rtg or smr the size of a water heater in their basement, once every decade or so somebody certified shows up with a fresh load of fuel

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
First country with mountains that has to be abandoned due to heat from climate change should become our nuclear waste repository. Just drop it all in a valley and fence the entire area off. Litter the area nearest the fences with those "drop and run" cobalt sticks as a deterrent.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Protagonist posted:

they're not proper reactors but an rtg would do the trick

i dream of a world where everyone has an rtg or smr the size of a water heater in their basement, once every decade or so somebody certified shows up with a fresh load of fuel

oh know little bobby knocked over the water heater now the whole neighborhood is contaminated with strontium-90 :doh:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

First country with mountains that has to be abandoned due to heat from climate change should become our nuclear waste repository. Just drop it all in a valley and fence the entire area off. Litter the area nearest the fences with those "drop and run" cobalt sticks as a deterrent.

transmutation annihilation and vitrification to aid the greenification of civilization

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Rutibex posted:

just cut to the chase and give me a jetpack

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Except for the cobalt sticks that'd be awesome for a future where we've extracted our heads from our collective asses and realize how much energy is left in "spent" fuel.

Nukes are just bigger bombs it doesn't loving matter. They're not somehow supernaturally worse than carpet-bombing a country with conventional explosives. War is bad at all times, the weapons used are immaterial.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just saw several commercials for mortgage refinancing commercials during one of the biggest races NASCAR has on national TV. Makes me hopeful for a crash soon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Harik posted:

Except for the cobalt sticks that'd be awesome for a future where we've extracted our heads from our collective asses and realize how much energy is left in "spent" fuel.

Nukes are just bigger bombs it doesn't loving matter. They're not somehow supernaturally worse than carpet-bombing a country with conventional explosives. War is bad at all times, the weapons used are immaterial.

In fact, the more powerful and efficient a nuclear bomb is the less radiation it emits. So if anything we should be developing even bigger bombs!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
the craft beer store I went to the other day had a sign on the door that say ‘buy bitcoin here’

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Koirhor posted:

the craft beer store I went to the other day had a sign on the door that say ‘buy bitcoin here’

A month ago or so I was buying a carton of cigarettes at my regular gas station, the clerk was having a sidebar about buying bitcoin with some looney looking rear end in a top hat. Went today, same clerk, so I said how about them bitcoins and his coworker just lit his rear end up. It was fantastic. She was enjoying it so thoroughly.

There's also a "buy bitcoin here" sticker on their door, but the ATM it's tied to is rather subtle, just looks like any old shady gas station ATM.

I hope someday someone steals one of those ATMs with the explicit statement upon arrest being about getting bitcoin out of it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rutibex posted:

https://youtu.be/n-a_YbpG08Y

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Yay, looking forward to another pointless 5+ pages of goons wanking off over nuclear power

all discussion is essentially pointless

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Radirot posted:

all discussion is essentially pointless

as the quality of good posts declines and more effort is required to produce them, we will simply find new posting substitutes

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:51 on May 31, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
We hit peak posting already. Every joke now has to be squeezed through a quarter mile of fat idiot moderators for diminishing returns.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

conventional posting peaked with LF.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We hit peak posting already. Every joke now has to be squeezed through a quarter mile of fat idiot moderators for diminishing returns.

Could be worse, it was half a mile last week.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

super sweet best pal posted:

Could be worse, it was half a mile last week.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
No such thing as peak posting. Posting, like number, only goes up.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There were like two hundred posts, and I thought something happened to crypto. Turns out this thread just crossed over into climate change for a bit.

I miss the days when number had the weekend to rest and relax.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Replace kaxman's house with an unregulated (goddamn nanny state!) nuclear reactor, IMO.

lmao kaxman's house

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

today i went on a hike in Norco, california a town built on a goofy western aesthetic, like even the starbucks is mandated by the city to look like a barn or old timey saloon, a lot of the town seemed like a brand new boomer shangri-la of mcmansions with multiple brand new vehicles in driveways... after seeing this graph i cannot stop thinking about when our upcoming water and energy crises will impact places like that

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sick! Thats DOPE posted:

today i went on a hike in Norco, california a town built on a goofy western aesthetic, like even the starbucks is mandated by the city to look like a barn or old timey saloon, a lot of the town seemed like a brand new boomer shangri-la of mcmansions with multiple brand new vehicles in driveways... after seeing this graph i cannot stop thinking about when our upcoming water and energy crises will impact places like that

theres gonna be a market in 2060 for driving through wasteland towns to reclaim microchip parts and still-usable lumber

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

No such thing as peak posting. Posting, like number, only goes up.
gonna leverage my posts by making synthetic posts squared

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

anime was right posted:

theres gonna be a market in 2060 for driving through wasteland towns to reclaim microchip parts and still-usable lumber

driving is a typo, you meant diving right

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Antonymous posted:

It's 195m above sea level so it's probably driving. It'll definitely be a lot closer to the beach though.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Rutibex posted:

oh know little bobby knocked over the water heater now the whole neighborhood is contaminated with strontium-90 :doh:

I guarantee he would learn from his mistake and not do it again

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lol if you think the people scavenging for scrap will be driving to do it in 40 years

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Antonymous posted:

i mean diving too but probably not a place that looks like an old west town. savlaging in general all the poo poo we threw out is gonna rule.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Antonymous posted:

lol if you think the people scavenging for scrap will be driving to do it in 40 years

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

looks more utopian than doomsday

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i guess mad max was right about the leather gear

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

gonna leverage my posts by making synthetic posts squared

You take like a thread, sell it's posters post history as a package. Each posters post are a traunch in this CPO (Combined Posting Option) that gets rated averaging to the combined rating of the thread. Now if it's strong enough it should withstand a buncha probations, a reasonable amount of bans, a couple permas.

Who's gonna bet against posting

*Has sudden flashbacks of the time some guy banme'd so hard all his posts were deleted and it broke every thread he shitposted in. I forget his name... So uh... Mission accomplished on that*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

animist posted:

also why don't more people use ecology metaphors for economics I feel like that makes Marx make more sense

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Marx does include natural wealth as a source of exploitable value, though most of the framing was about capitals capture of it through various means and the secondary function of dispossession

It's less something specific to him tho and more that the science of dialectical materialism is an incredibly powerful tool of analysis tho

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

just trot away, just trot away

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

conventional posting peaked with LF.

among the most dire of peak resource thresholds

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

is this the Krebs cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

not even the Trump Bump could stop the slow and steady decline of these dead gay internet forums