Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

Hacks on HBO is very good. One of the funnier shows on any streaming platform.

I really appreciate all the use of Jean Smart on HBO lately. Can we just cast her in every HBO show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

TheMopeSquad posted:

Anya Taylor-Joy's Magik was outstanding, perfect casting, great actress, and it's a complete shame we will never see her again.

Yeah she looked and sounded EXACTLY like the character did in my head. Really sad we can't get a whole movie about her dealing with Limbo stuff and we didn't even get to see her in her full outfit

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I know the character is supposed to be edgy and what have you, but I think it was...a bold decision to make Magik say some pretty racist poo poo to Dani then (to my memory) never really dealing with it other than to have Dani stand up for herself. To me, it poisons the well for the character a little bit; she can be an rear end in a top hat without getting all racist about it.

Also, she has one of the most insane looks in all of comic books and lets be honest, it's probably for the best they didn't bother trying to do the head dress.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 30, 2021

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

A MIRACLE posted:

Just watched amarcord for the first time wow

Hell yeah it is. Now watch 8 1/2!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nihonniboku posted:

I really appreciate all the use of Jean Smart on HBO lately. Can we just cast her in every HBO show?

This is the best use of her though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I do enjoy that they put off releasing New Mutants for reshoots but never got around to doing the reshoots before the teen actors aged out so we got the directors weird bad teen movie. We got the original vision with no studio meddling and welp.

No, the reshoots were what the director wanted. He toned down the original script because he thought it's what Fox wanted but test audiences loved the horror elements but not much else so they told him to go whole hog with the reshoots.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'd like to see what the song licencing budget was for Cruella

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I'd like to see what the song licencing budget was for Cruella

i made this exact same comment to my husband last night. i actually enjoyed the movie for the most part but all that money spent on songs could've been spent on making the CGI dogs look a little more like actual dogs

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

amaguri posted:

i made this exact same comment to my husband last night. i actually enjoyed the movie for the most part but all that money spent on songs could've been spent on making the CGI dogs look a little more like actual dogs

Aw, yeah. There were moments where I could tell the doggos were CGI. We already have the technology to make them even more real, but, heh I'm liking the music. I haven't finished but: chunky tiny chihuahua with his eye patch and disguised as a rat was the cutest thing ever. Aww, little buddy. :kimchi: :3:

So far the movie is ok and I'm having a lot of fun, if you are curious just ignore whatever Twitter people say as for some reason hates it and it's fixating in one single scene. :psyduck:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

Aw, yeah. There were moments where I could tell the doggos were CGI. We already have the technology to make them even more real, but, heh I'm liking the music. I haven't finished but: chunky tiny chihuahua with his eye patch and disguised as a rat was the cutest thing ever. Aww, little buddy. :kimchi: :3:

So far the movie is ok and I'm having a lot of fun, if you are curious just ignore whatever Twitter people say as for some reason hates it and it's fixating in one single scene. :psyduck:

What scene? I found the movie a little boring tbh.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

mcmagic posted:

What scene? I found the movie a little boring tbh.

The one where the dogs push Cruella's mom. That part is kinda absurd, but there's nothing offensive in it, and as someone said it looks like something Tim Burton would had done.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think people are rightfully making fun of the idea of Cruella DeVille's mother being murdered by Dalmatians. Like they wrote a character back in the day who just wants to kill a hundred puppies to skin them and make a coat, yet Disney is so far up their own rear end with trying to make villains sympathetic and it's pretty dumb. Maybe next they'll do the captain planet villains and the pig guy who just wants to throw toxic waste everywhere was actually a Real American Soldier who got waterboarded with toxic waste at a pig farm.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

She never blames the dogs though - herself at first, then the Baroness

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Desperado Bones posted:

The one where the dogs push Cruella's mom. That part is kinda absurd, but there's nothing offensive in it, and as someone said it looks like something Tim Burton would had done.

The most upsetting thing about that scene is the CGI.

Ruffian Price posted:

It's kind of a lovely origin story because it doesn't show why she wants to kill the 101 dalmations even at the end of the movie those 3 dalmations have a face turn and they are hanging out nicely with the other dogs. I guess Disney can't have cute dogs be the bad guy for the whole movie or show anyone having a reason to be mad at cute dogs.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mcmagic posted:

The most upsetting thing about that scene is the CGI.
It's kind of a lovely origin story because it doesn't show why she wants to kill the 101 dalmations even at the end of the movie those 3 dalmations have a face turn and they are hanging out nicely with the other dogs. I guess Disney can't have cute dogs be the bad guy for the whole movie or show anyone having a reason to be mad at cute dogs.

Also the post credits scene shows that the 101 Dalmatians are the descendants of those dogs, and she personally gifted the parents to their owners from the original movie. It’s insane.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ruffian Price posted:

Indeed!

mcmagic posted:

People are already upset at the idea of CGI dogs getting hurt, of course it would be hell if they showed certain breeds of dogs being the bad guys.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think people are rightfully making fun of the idea of Cruella DeVille's mother being murdered by Dalmatians. Like they wrote a character back in the day who just wants to kill a hundred puppies to skin them and make a coat, yet Disney is so far up their own rear end with trying to make villains sympathetic and it's pretty dumb. Maybe next they'll do the captain planet villains and the pig guy who just wants to throw toxic waste everywhere was actually a Real American Soldier who got waterboarded with toxic waste at a pig farm.

They should do that version of Captain Planet with Don Cheadle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

They should just let adi Shankar produce everything actually

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lament.cfg posted:

Also the post credits scene shows that the 101 Dalmatians are the descendants of those dogs, and she personally gifted the parents to their owners from the original movie. It’s insane.
if anything this movie sets up a sequel where Cruella is the loving owner of a hundred and one dalmatians and Roger and Anita want to kill them :black101:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I think Disney just intends Cruella to be a full on revisionist movie like Maleficient.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I think Disney just intends Cruella to be a full on revisionist movie like Maleficient.

I don't think I even knew she had a name until that movie, I thought she was just like "evil witch step mom" or something

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The MSJ posted:

From what I've read I don't think you should expect that the events of 101 Dalmatians happen the exact same way after Cruella. It's an alternate universe not a direct prequel.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

From what I've read I don't think you should expect that the events of 101 Dalmatians happen the exact same way after Cruella. It's an alternate universe not a direct prequel.

Not saying that you are dumb but if that is the intention it's VERY dumb.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 31, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

That's how they did both Maleficent movies. And it worked :shrug:

mystes
May 31, 2006

mcmagic posted:

As opposed to the other options for interpreting Disney's Cruella which are not dumb.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

mcmagic posted:

...dumber than expecting strict respect for the continuity and lore of a 70 year old kids movie? :thunkher:

mystes
May 31, 2006

DCU (Dalmatian Cinematic Universe)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you the want the most up to date rear end in a top hat Cruella, watcch the episodes of Once Upon A Time she was in.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Cruella is similar to Joker. They are both in their own universe not caring that much about lore. Cruella is very much centered on Emma Stones performance.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is it a bad or good movie. cgis dogs sound like an auto fail

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
It's a fine movie with strong performances especially from Emma Stone. Good costume and set design. I just didn't like the overuse of pop music soundtrack and overstylized direction at times.

Cgi dogs aren't that big of a deal. Story is kinda similar to Devils wear Prada if that's your kind of movie. I'd rate it like 7.5 out of 10.

Hoop Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 31, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Google Butt posted:

is it a bad or good movie. cgis dogs sound like an auto fail

It's an ok movie. CGI dogs are noticeable once in a while,specially in dangerous/difficult to film scenes, but the rest of the time are the actual dogs.
Like I said I haven't finished because I got pretty busy today.

I actually liked Jasper and Horace a lot and the cute non-murderous doggos.

And yes, the fashion in this is quite nice.

This opinion might change once I watch the rest of the movie. HAH! :v:

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
My word, talking about dumb while arguing about 101 Dalmations lore.

It was a fun film, made by fun people having a fun time and enjoyed by fun film watchers, like me.

I liked the Coco Puffs with Sweep from Sooty & Sweep on it, and the 70's Golden Wonder crisps Horace was eating. I enjoyed Horace channeling Bob Hoskins. I thought the music was on the nose and better for it, i think Cruella DeVille as a kind of 1970's proto-punk Joker was loving great.

I would have liked if the movie had the balls to keep the dalmations as the bad guys, because of course, in Cruella-world, they should be. But whatever.

Seems heavily implied that one of the dalmations, Genghis, is pregnant at the end, and that Perdita and Pongo are the pups. This would seem to have incestuous implications for Dalmations lore going forward but, hey, maybe thats how dog-breeding works?

And hey, if you want a properly evil Cruella, this film happily has one of those as well, and Emma Thompson seems to be having as much fun eating the set as Close did thirty odd years ago.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

mcmagic posted:

The point is to tell a new story, but a new story that exists in an established universe with a known character. It's the most 2021 poo poo you've ever seen. We can't just make up somebody, we have to find an already existing character. And we can't just have them be evil, they have to have some redeeming qualities. If these two impulses conflict in any way, just handwave that away, because, gently caress it, there's loving money to be made.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I wonder what started that whole genre. Wicked?

E: more debatably, Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus?

E2: The Gospel of Judas, which I remember getting some buzz in the early 2000s or late 90s?

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 31, 2021

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Gimme the Ursula movie or gimme the Gaston movie. Gimme the Ursula Gaston romance movie.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
All of Twitter is falling over itself to make the same goddamn joke about Cruella and know what? We deserve it for the next week or two, live it up. You deserve whatever riff on Gaston or dalmatians that fits in 280 characters this fortnight, it's been a long year and that Friends reunion special didn't fill that void.

mystes posted:

DCU (Dalmatian Cinematic Universe)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Plan B, which is streaming now on Hulu, is pretty funny.
Since we're talking about movies with big budgets for needle drops I figured I'd mention that this movie, while it presumably did not have a big budget for needle drops, does have some pretty good ones.

Also, Shiva Baby (available for rent/purchase on a bunch of streaming sites, free nowhere I think) is really good if you basically want a Jewish comedy version of Rachel Getting Married. It's one of my favorite movies I've seen in a long, long time.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The latest WHM said that Bad News Bears was an underrated Linklater movie and dang it, they're right. It's totally great, perfect remake

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Jolo posted:

Gimme the Ursula movie or gimme the Gaston movie. Gimme the Ursula Gaston romance movie.

Ursula, but the actor is a drag queen. :colbert:

A thing that won't happen in the new live action movie of the Little Mermaid WHICH is still gonna make a bunch of racists implode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Desperado Bones posted:

Ursula, but the actor is a drag queen. :colbert:

A thing that won't happen in the new live action movie of the Little Mermaid WHICH is still gonna make a bunch of racists implode.

Nina West would kill it as Ursula. She co hosted a Drag Queen Christmas show I went to a while back with Monet XChange and she was excellent.