Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

The toilet paper my high school supplied was strange; it came in sheets rather than rolls, and almost had a waxed quality to it. A friend of mine ran for school president (and won) with the promise of getting the administration to switch to something else -- which they did! I think they were so amused by his nerve they went along with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Drimble Wedge posted:

The toilet paper my high school supplied was strange; it came in sheets rather than rolls, and almost had a waxed quality to it. A friend of mine ran for school president (and won) with the promise of getting the administration to switch to something else -- which they did! I think they were so amused by his nerve they went along with it.

That's the stuff! It didn't come in rolls, it came flat packed in interleaved layers like Kleenex. If I remember correctly, the boxes were flat, plain white cardboard. It was just the worst, most awful kind of toilet paper. Leaves from the garden would absolutely have been better.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

'Sup, fellow shiny-paper sufferer? It was only marginally better than wiping your undercarriage with printer paper.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Drimble Wedge posted:

'Sup, fellow shiny-paper sufferer? It was only marginally better than wiping your undercarriage with printer paper.

Crinkly crunchy toilet paper unity! Seriously, that stuff was criminal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pookah posted:

Some dormant neurons are waking up repressed memories and I don't like it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
John Wayne TP: it's rough, it's tough, and it doesn't take any poo poo off anyone.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Pookah posted:

Thanks for the memory from 30 years ago! Ugh.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not really sure if this pops up in media, but has media in the name so...

I just went to the supermarket and bought a couple frozen dinners, since my husband doesn't get off work 'til 10pm and I gotta be up at 4am tomorrow; I'll be hitting the hay by or before the time he comes home. I(47) just texted him (51) with "got some tv dinners in the freezer if I'm asleep when you get home".

Does anyone call them tv dinners anymore? Back in the day those were a treat, it meant "yay! we can eat dinner while watching tv, this is so cool!" vs "we're gonna all sit around the dinner table Cleaver-style and eat mom's dessicated chicken and boiled-to-death broccoli, making small talk about how school was that day".

Now it's "yeah, lemme nuke some poo poo and eat it wherever in the house there's a convenient screen to look at forums."

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
No idea, but I’m a fresh thirty and use frozen/tv dinner interchangeably. Related, I figured tv trays have to be foreign to kids these days, as they were already outdated when I was growing up, but apparently they’re still for sale at walmart and the such, so maybe not? Still have to imagine the modern tv tray is a coffee table in front of a couch facing the television though.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

To me, "TV dinners" has a very specific meaning: those Swansons meals in the little compartmented trays. Something like a frozen pad thai or lasagna is just a frozen meal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s only a TV dinner if it enabled the demagogue Tucker Carlson.

Otherwise it’s just sparkling frozen food.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My cousins kids had some TV dinners when they were staying over for thanksgiving one year. It turned out that they thought It was called a TV dinner because the black rectangular packaging reminded them of an LCD TV.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

The North Tower posted:

In Paul Fussell’s Class book he talks about middle class families always displaying their ambition in the bathroom: it’s the smallest room and guests will see it, so one can do their class signaling/striving in it for the lowest cost while guaranteeing that guests will spend some time admiring the aesthetics.

This explains so much about my father's mother, who always had the color-coordinated toilet paper.

Speaking of her, I can't imagine many people under 40 are familiar with the sound of those 70's era electric organs with the primitive beatbox. It seemed like everyone's older relatives had them but never actually got around to learning how to play "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" from the color-coded songbook. They were synonymous with lame pre-rock n' roll music in the 80s (check out the Johnny Cougar song "Jackie O") and I think a lot of people recognize the sound, but I can't imagine they'd ever have seen one in the wild.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

This explains so much about my father's mother, who always had the color-coordinated toilet paper.

Speaking of her, I can't imagine many people under 40 are familiar with the sound of those 70's era electric organs with the primitive beatbox. It seemed like everyone's older relatives had them but never actually got around to learning how to play "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps" from the color-coded songbook. They were synonymous with lame pre-rock n' roll music in the 80s (check out the Johnny Cougar song "Jackie O") and I think a lot of people recognize the sound, but I can't imagine they'd ever have seen one in the wild.

I'd never heard that song and was expecting some Animals style combo organ. No, someone hit the bossa nova button and wrote a song.

I think those electric organs were replaced with digital Casio keyboards in the 80's, with pretty much the same function.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Splicer posted:

Some dormant neurons are waking up repressed memories and I don't like it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Yeah, my school had sandpaper for poo poo tickets too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just read my kid a book from my childhood, Fat Men from Space.

The kid in the book gets metal fillings in his teeth, which start picking up the local harmless eccentric AM talk stations, then communications between an invading force of fat spacemen who wear dacron slacks and plaid jackets.
  • metal fillings don't exist anymore
  • the myth of the radio-receiving tooth filling is long gone
  • AM talk stations now incredibly harmful
  • We just call dacron "polyester" now, I think, and it's come full circle to be an invisible part of all cheap fashion
  • Not sure if you could get away with that title nowadays, even if the author is a fat man (which he was and still is)

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

These were a god-send for me as a young musician who was getting bored with guitar. You could absolutely get some rowdy rear end tones, though I know what you mean by them being synonymous with boring Pat Boone sounding poo poo. They were (and maybe still are, I dunno) cheap as poo poo, they were just a bitch to move. Also, most had a line out if you looked for it, so you could plug a 1/4” Jack and play through guitar amps and pedals. I live in a single wide trailer and have not one but two of the drat things (one being what you’re describing the other a truly massive Wurlitzer church organ). Still miss my Lowery, though. It died in a fire. : (

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was just doing a little reading about the old shiny paper and made a discovery; You know how sometimes people refer to paperwork/assorted documents as 'bumf'?
Apparently it's a shortening of 'bumfodder' AKA toilet paper, and it's because the shiny stuff was literally used as tracing paper by schoolkids.

This is the stuff I remember btw:

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

It’s a good book. You can probably get a used copy for under $8, but keep in mind it was published in 1983, so some things have shifted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Does anyone call them tv dinners anymore? Back in the day those were a treat, it meant "yay! we can eat dinner while watching tv, this is so cool!" vs "we're gonna all sit around the dinner table Cleaver-style and eat mom's dessicated chicken and boiled-to-death broccoli, making small talk about how school was that day".

Flashing back to my grandma who would make dinner at like 3pm and just leave it in the oven at like 200 to "keep it warm" until we were hungry. Wonderful woman but a cook she was not.

Except for her weekly chicken soup, which I assume she got from the international organization of ashkenazi grandmas.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pontius Pilate posted:

No idea, but I’m a fresh thirty and use frozen/tv dinner interchangeably. Related, I figured tv trays have to be foreign to kids these days, as they were already outdated when I was growing up, but apparently they’re still for sale at walmart and the such, so maybe not? Still have to imagine the modern tv tray is a coffee table in front of a couch facing the television though.
We have a couple and there's a bunch of uses for little fold up tables you can stick in a closet. They're handy for putting a (decent sized) laptop on so we can watch netflix in a room without a dedicated table, or to add a little more working space if we're playing a board game with a lot of bits.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

doctorfrog posted:

• metal fillings don't exist anymore

Even my dentist who has preferred ceramics for decades still uses metal in certain applications. I have a gold alloy post for a root canal.

Silver amalgam fillings are definitely in decline but still exist.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 30, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I just ordered a nice set of wooden TV trays last week. Being able to throw down a little table wherever you need it is incredibly useful for all sorts of things.

And regarding TV dinners, I still have taste memory of the Swansons fried chicken and the crunchy edges of the mashed potatoes.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
And the ‘brownie’ that usually fused into the tray if you didn’t poke it first.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm converting VHS tapes recorded off TV from the 1980s. Included are original commercials.

A national 1987 Ford Ranger ad popped up heavily advertising that air conditioning was included for free with the Ranger. I have no doubt that such a bonus is a quiet extra cost these days, but air conditioning is not something I expected to see hyped so heavily at this point. All the local dealership ads from the same era focused on financing.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm converting VHS tapes recorded off TV from the 1980s. Included are original commercials.

A national 1987 Ford Ranger ad popped up heavily advertising that air conditioning was included for free with the Ranger. I have no doubt that such a bonus is a quiet extra cost these days, but air conditioning is not something I expected to see hyped so heavily at this point. All the local dealership ads from the same era focused on financing.

Back in 2013 or so, my wife and I were looking at new cars, and the base model Dodge Dart of the day didn’t even have air conditioning standard:

Wikipedia posted:

The SE was the base Dodge Dart model between 2013 and 2016. It offered the following standard equipment: 160-horsepower 2.0 L Tigershark I4 engine, six-speed manual transmission, AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD/MP3 player with auxiliary and USB inputs, four-speaker audio system, heater (no air conditioning), power windows and door locks, cloth seating surfaces, dual manually-adjustable front bucket seats, split-folding rear bench seat, full instrumentation, fifteen-inch black-painted steel wheels with plastic wheel covers, and black door handles and side mirrors.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The price for car AC was still a sizable percentage of the price of a new car all the way till the mid 1990s. The cost was between 400-600 dollars if you purchased a car with it in it, or close to 1000 to retrofit it to an existing car.

The base price of a Ford Range was under 7K in 1987, so if you just wanted a basic truck, you could save 7-15% of a base price of the truck or other base cars in the past. It you lived in New England, the mountains, or Great Lakes region, you will find that there were a sizable chunk of cars, even more expensive family cars that don't have AC.

I think that the Jeep Wrangler is the only vehicle in the US that doesn't come with AC standard, but there are 8 car and truck models in Canada that AC does not yet come standard with the car.

In 2018, I was in the Canadian Marinetimes during the July heat wave. It was sweltering being there because all but one B&B or seaside hotel that we stayed at had AC. The Jeep that we rent in PEI didn't have it either!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't modern heating literally the same thing as an airconditioner?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The funniest part of The Juggernaut, Bitch is when someone brags about having a Dodge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't modern heating literally the same thing as an airconditioner?

Heat pumps are increasingly popular in houses, but not in cars. Or at least not in cars with internal combustion engines. Waste heat from the engine is free.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

IIRC when Chevy brought back the Malibu name plate in 1997, it was advertised that it came with STANDARD AC, and Automatic transmission. Even on the BASE MODELS!!

Just curious, what were the interest rates on cars back then?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IIRC the reason AC wasn't standard in cars was a marketing stunt, you advertise the base model super cheap, and then when they get to the lot they realize the only kind they got is an added 3 grand for power steering, AC, and power windows or whatever

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

IIRC when Chevy brought back the Malibu name plate in 1997, it was advertised that it came with STANDARD AC, and Automatic transmission. Even on the BASE MODELS!!

Just curious, what were the interest rates on cars back then?

I found a site that said it was 8-9%.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

AC was not standard for a very long time because it was expensive and unreliable. Through the 80's and 90s every car I owned either didn't have AC or the AC was broken.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bucnasti posted:

AC was not standard for a very long time because it was expensive and unreliable. Through the 80's and 90s every car I owned either didn't have AC or the AC was broken.

This. I worked as a mechanic from the mid-80’s on, and back then, very, very few vehicles more than four or five years old still had working A/C, and few owners were willing to spend the money to fix it. A/C was expensive back then - $700-$800 dollars on a sub-$10K car in some cases.

Vehicular A/C didn’t get really reliable until R-12 got banned and manufacturers switched to R-134A refrigerant. R-134A refrigerant molecules are much smaller than the old R12 molecules, and pass right through hoses and connectors which sealed the old stuff fine. So manufacturers had to do a lot of redesign work on A/C systems to keep them sealed, which caused them to stay working longer than they used to. Compressors are both much lighter and much more efficient nowadays too - a Mopar RV-2 compressor used in Dodges/Chryslers was almost 50lbs in the 70’s, while new compressors are ~10 lbs and suck much less engine power.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I grew up in the north but now I live in the south. I blow a lot of people's minds when I tell them that none of my k-12 schools had air conditioning other than the library and a computer lab if it had one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the '80s, my Atlanta-living sister-in-law was shocked that it was possible to buy cars without air conditioning. Those models were never sold in the South.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

JnnyThndrs posted:

This. I worked as a mechanic from the mid-80’s on, and back then, very, very few vehicles more than four or five years old still had working A/C, and few owners were willing to spend the money to fix it. A/C was expensive back then - $700-$800 dollars on a sub-$10K car in some cases.

Vehicular A/C didn’t get really reliable until R-12 got banned and manufacturers switched to R-134A refrigerant. R-134A refrigerant molecules are much smaller than the old R12 molecules, and pass right through hoses and connectors which sealed the old stuff fine. So manufacturers had to do a lot of redesign work on A/C systems to keep them sealed, which caused them to stay working longer than they used to. Compressors are both much lighter and much more efficient nowadays too - a Mopar RV-2 compressor used in Dodges/Chryslers was almost 50lbs in the 70’s, while new compressors are ~10 lbs and suck much less engine power.

Oh yeah that was the other thing, they were hugely inefficient and dragged down your engine, reducing power and mpg, and causing overheating. Modern cars are so much more efficient.

Speaking of, here’s something lost in modern days. Cars used to overheat easily, and on long steep roads they would have little turnouts every couple miles with a barrel of water so you could refill your radiator. I remember when I was a kid I saw them along the grapevine in California and they were made of concrete, my dad explained that they had to stop using metal barrels because people (like him) would use the metal ones as target practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Bucnasti posted:

Oh yeah that was the other thing, they were hugely inefficient and dragged down your engine, reducing power and mpg, and causing overheating. Modern cars are so much more efficient.

Speaking of, here’s something lost in modern days. Cars used to overheat easily, and on long steep roads they would have little turnouts every couple miles with a barrel of water so you could refill your radiator. I remember when I was a kid I saw them along the grapevine in California and they were made of concrete, my dad explained that they had to stop using metal barrels because people (like him) would use the metal ones as target practice.

There are still signs on the Grapevine telling drivers to turn off their AC to prevent overheating.