Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hammerite posted:

I'm not going on Bitcoin, it isn't safe

:same:
Gives a new meaning’ to the ol’ haircut, don’t it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Hammerite posted:

I'm not going on Bitcoin, it isn't safe

I've been queuing for my transaction for ages.

Fiat is really good value!

e: All passengers aboard The Bit Train have drowned.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 28, 2021

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/may/28/police-find-bitcoin-mine-using-stolen-electricity-west-midlands

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Greenplastic posted:

Currently killing all the passengers by slamming them into the concrete at supersonic speeds

When you die on to the blockchain you die in real life?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Nah, just your savings.

And everlasting soul.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The best part is the drug squad was onto them because a bunch of janky wiring, ventilation and suspicious heat == people growing weed

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Potrzebie posted:

In Sweden we're basically done with physical money all together. Less than 10% use cash for payments. People use any NFC-enabled devide, or the super popular mobile payment SWISH with instant bank to bank transfers up to USD 30.000 with a weekly max of 120.000. It's getting to the point where our central bank is preparing for a future just a few years away, with 100% digital money.

Obviously the best sollution is to adopt Bitcoin, Doge and Helium.

Yeah this has been murder on our still considerable portion of beggars. These days I hold on to any 20 skr bills or any coins I get just for them cos yeah, my physical cash transactions are like, a couple of times a year now.

My dad still uses cash as preference, I think he feels he can mentally keep track of how much he's spending then. Which, tbh, fair. Just automagically paying by vaguely waving your card over something does sometimes make it harder for the money you spent to feel 'real' to me.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

NLJP posted:

Yeah this has been murder on our still considerable portion of beggars. These days I hold on to any 20 skr bills or any coins I get just for them cos yeah, my physical cash transactions are like, a couple of times a year now.

My dad still uses cash as preference, I think he feels he can mentally keep track of how much he's spending then. Which, tbh, fair. Just automagically paying by vaguely waving your card over something does sometimes make it harder for the money you spent to feel 'real' to me.
And that's a legit phenomenon! It's been pretty much proven that use of credit cards and other electronic methods of payment lead to greater spending (or larger gratuities, etc.) versus pulling out a wallet and throwing down physical money. Having $100 (or kronor or pounds or whatever) gives it an immediacy that's hard to replicate with a number floating in a database somewhere.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
The street people in my town just started writing their cashapps on their signs. Do people not do that everywhere?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It looks like people actually want to buy things over Memorial Day weekend, so they're selling their Bitcoin and we're down into crash territory again.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Razorwired posted:

The street people in my town just started writing their cashapps on their signs. Do people not do that everywhere?

What's cashapp?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

busalover posted:

What's cashapp?

A streamer compound :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4SMSCKOXO8

edit: Also Totino's fortnight training room

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2021

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1399195759140954112

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

"most" """""efficient"""""

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I bet Satoshi Tajiri really regrets inventing BitCoin now!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I always wonder, when I see statements like that, whether the person is being disingenuous or really is that stupid.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The international banking system, which serves billions of people, uses TWICE AS MANY resources as this thing a few hundred thousand people use. Check and mate, nocoiners. :downs:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I always wonder, when I see statements like that, whether the person is being disingenuous or really is that stupid.

the last 4 years has been definitive proof that the answer to this question is frequently "both"

a dumb person who thinks they're super-smart will lie when it's convenient, and then get retroactively fooled by their own lies

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mad Dragon posted:

The international banking system, which serves billions of people, uses TWICE AS MANY resources as this thing a few hundred thousand people use. Check and mate, nocoiners. :downs:
Serves the entire globe, and performs about a thousand more different functions than buttcoins. This and the copypasta about how the USD is worst than buttcoins using a particularly nonsensical set of metrics is also infuriating.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Klyith posted:

the last 4 years has been definitive proof that the answer to this question is frequently "both"

a dumb person who thinks they're super-smart will lie when it's convenient, and then get retroactively fooled by their own lies

And these people run the world.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Coinbase sponsored a chess tournament that started at BTC 50k and the gimmick is that the prize pool is 2 BTC worth of cash. The prize pool went from over 100k down to 50k during the 7 day tournament and now recovered to 70k. Nice advertisement for a wonderful investment vehicle.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Retirement instrument.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

six transactions per second isn't even remotely efficient lol

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
current status: solving the complex mathematical problem of making two dice land on snake eyes

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Hahaha, these loving replies. Jesus.

https://twitter.com/JeffKirdeikis/status/1399196923886596100?s=19

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Is that using the energy use of the total economic output of the world when using bank transactions?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, only approved people can reply. They know full well they're going to get dunked on and don't want any rubes getting turned off the grift.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

catspleen posted:

Is that using the energy use of the total economic output of the world when using bank transactions?

That scale says the banking system uses a total of 640MWh /yr so I think it's just pulled entirely out of an rear end.

Like, that is just an impossibly low number, that's one power plant running for 45 minutes

e: at current hashrates the bitcoin network burns that every 00:02:07.78 if we generously assume all of it is running the most efficient hardware available

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 31, 2021

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol, only approved people can reply. They know full well they're going to get dunked on and don't want any rubes getting turned off the grift.

Can't have any leaks in this echo chamber.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
With China banning bitcoin mining we should see more hashpower moving to North America where Elon has committed with miners to using renewable energy. So bitcoin is actually driving renewable and green energy, pog.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm glad the US has hit the point where we have so much renewable energy that we can just waste it on nothing.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Like this is such a transparently idiotic thing to say that it doesn't deserve rebuttal, only endless mockery for being the stupidest thing I've read today, in a day full of idiotic statements by moronic buttcoiners.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

With China banning bitcoin mining we should see more hashpower moving to North America where Elon has committed with miners to using renewable energy. So bitcoin is actually driving renewable and green energy, pog.

What exactly is using up that renewable energy going to "drive," salt shakeup?

E: Like, do you think that Elon Musk, the emerald mine idiot failson, is going to actually use some of his immense wealth to, say, actually build a wind farm, or a geothermal plant, or solar panels? Do you think that he'll let a lack of renewable energy stop him from mining?

Somfin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 1, 2021

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

shame on an IGA posted:

That scale says the banking system uses a total of 640MWh /yr so I think it's just pulled entirely out of an rear end.

Like, that is just an impossibly low number, that's one power plant running for 45 minutes

e: at current hashrates the bitcoin network burns that every 00:02:07.78 if we generously assume all of it is running the most efficient hardware available

Oh yeah lol I just completely misread/my brain inserted something mildly competent or realistic like GWh

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

salt shakeup posted:

how many times are these coiner dummies going to get played by elon's lies lmbo

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

No.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/05/private-equity-firm-revives-zombie-fossil-fuel-power-plant-to-mine-bitcoin/

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Bronze Fonz posted:

I've been queuing for my transaction for ages.

Fiat is really good value!

e: All passengers aboard The Bit Train have drowned.

I have the strangest feeling someone is Goxxing me

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

I have to say when I saw this I found it hilarious. Literally the most wasteful option. I mean there are even actual Bitcoin mining warehouses around the US that do try to focus on renewables but instead someone went "gently caress this earth let's mine some bitcoin"

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

So that chart seems to show the global banking structure using approximately 10x the amount of energy as the Bitcoin network.

The Global banking structure deals with approximately 3,209x the amount of transactions that Bitcoin could theoretically deal with.

I think I know which one is more efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I have to say when I saw this I found it hilarious. Literally the most wasteful option. I mean there are even actual Bitcoin mining warehouses around the US that do try to focus on renewables but instead someone went "gently caress this earth let's mine some bitcoin"
This is what happens when your incentives are "waste energy" and "do it if the costs are right." Buttcoin is wasteful on purpose; it's anti-efficient. But if it's a money printer, so it only matters whether the ink you use to feed the printer costs less than the output, whether that's soy-based ink or ink based on the tears of babies and if it so happens that there's a lot of babies lying around, but not a lot of soybeans, welp, the hedge fund's gotta get paid.