Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Fangz posted:

Frankly it's usually advised to avoid layouts like 104 and 176 (or the flipped version in western comics), for the exact reason that they can get unintuitive and confusing.

I advise in favor of them because they are intuitive and simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i do like 104 a lot, you get a nice vertical panel like 3 that emphasizes the slender silhouette and the horizontal ones (4-5) that do the same for distance

the other one is a bit messier but with most of these it feels like decisions for space consideration? like to convey both the dialogue and body language of these you'd otherwise have to add a separate page

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I started watching X tv series and there is an episode 0, I think it was an ova released shortly before the series started airing. Apparently it spoils the entire series? I skipped it and now I'm wondering if I should come back to it later or completely ignore it?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if it came out after the series, just watch it after the series. lots of shows have prequel ovas that are fun to watch after you see the main show

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

dogsicle posted:

i do like 104 a lot, you get a nice vertical panel like 3 that emphasizes the slender silhouette and the horizontal ones (4-5) that do the same for distance

the other one is a bit messier but with most of these it feels like decisions for space consideration? like to convey both the dialogue and body language of these you'd otherwise have to add a separate page

To be more clear what I meant, in western comics where you read L to R you want to put the tall thin panels on the left and the narrow panels on the right. So there's no ambiguity for the reader as they read the left to right, then go down the remaining panels. When you put the panels the other way round, it can be non-obvious that the reader has to go down first instead of continuing on. For manga R to L formats it's the other way round.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

macabresca posted:

I started watching X tv series and there is an episode 0, I think it was an ova released shortly before the series started airing. Apparently it spoils the entire series? I skipped it and now I'm wondering if I should come back to it later or completely ignore it?

It's pretty much just an extended trailer for the TV series, not worth worrying about iirc

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkB_CFi9row

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Huh, Richard Ayoade was in an anime?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/taizou_hori/status/1398654925131878401

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/kellyonelani/status/1399256664016973826?s=19

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
give me that banani

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I started watching Gintama and I’m tempted to do a watch thread because holy poo poo this is funny as hell

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

shine the squark signal

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In words of goons wiser than I am: :justpost:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

thank you, a japanese survey

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I've seen the first episode or two of Re: Zero, and half the first episode of Madoka.

Is psycho pass the one where the telekinetic chick shacks up at the yakuza art collector guy's place? I think I've seen the first episode of that too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

(Empate)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay. Just watched ep 1 of Super Cub.

When is this bike’s thirst for blood going to be fulfilled?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

it means tie

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay. Just watched ep 1 of Super Cub.

When is this bike’s thirst for blood going to be fulfilled?

Her friend's Cub teams up with Mount Fuji-san to try to kill her friend repeatedly in episode 3 or 4.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

I think I've seen the first episode or two of Re: Zero, and half the first episode of Madoka.

Is psycho pass the one where the telekinetic chick shacks up at the yakuza art collector guy's place? I think I've seen the first episode of that too.
Keep watching both

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah... i'd get depressed if i watched shingeki no kyojin, too!!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The depressing part is when you look at the online discourse afterwards

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
psycho pass is depressing, but only in the sense that the series dives off a cliff after the first season

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i reject higurashi s1 placing as one of the most depressing cause the anime cuts out the ending scene of ch5 which is the most depressing part of the entire story

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

psycho pass is depressing, but only in the sense that the series dives off a cliff after the first season
Eh, I'd argue that Season 3 and the movies it came with did a lot to fix the Season 2 slump. Totally understandable if one bails after season 2, though.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

as a huge TWEWY fan, the TWEWY anime is kinda bad, but by far the thing that sucks the most is how extremely pretty the art in its ED is, and how it reminds me of how bad the anime itself looks.

e: actually, let me clarify: the action scenes are pretty poorly animated imo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It seems like they just took the Switch version and upscale some stuff.

It's not by any means ugly just kind of there.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

it seems incredibly crunched for time, which I think is part of why the fight scenes feel pretty lazy/disjointed. when you've got a couple random noise fights an ep that you have to put in, of course the animators are going to go with fire + the same dang team attack 90% of the time

its been forever since I played the games so idk if they've cut out some random "fluff" convos or what but it certainly feels like it

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Granted it's been a while since I watched it, but I don't remember anything in Psycho-Pass that would put it in a top ten list of depressing anime.
Characters die in it and some of the crimes are gruesome (the one with the guy turning people into sculptures sticks in my mind but that's like the only one I can remember), but I wouldn't call it depressing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Erg posted:

it seems incredibly crunched for time, which I think is part of why the fight scenes feel pretty lazy/disjointed. when you've got a couple random noise fights an ep that you have to put in, of course the animators are going to go with fire + the same dang team attack 90% of the time

its been forever since I played the games so idk if they've cut out some random "fluff" convos or what but it certainly feels like it

the entire thing feels like it should've been 3 seasons instead of 12 episodes. the pacing is all over the place.
but i don't think i'd want to watch 3 seasons of this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Visually, the series looks nice enough but yeah, this could have used a bit more time to work with (each individual day is maybe about 4 or so episodes long at most)

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I always thought school days had a happy ending.

I guess Texhnolyze was too obscure or something.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

marumaru posted:

as a huge TWEWY fan, the TWEWY anime is kinda bad, but by far the thing that sucks the most is how extremely pretty the art in its ED is, and how it reminds me of how bad the anime itself looks.

e: actually, let me clarify: the action scenes are pretty poorly animated imo

Is it me, or is Square or whomever they outsource for all their licensed anime just not that good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Is it me, or is Square or whomever they outsource for all their licensed anime just not that good?
this makes no sense because their licensed anime are all done by a variety of different studios with no real consistent pattern to them

and also fullmetal alchemist is a square anime.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

i mean, it's just an ad for the new twewy. it doesn't feel to me like they tried particularly hard to make it good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

people depressed by psycho-pass are just way more in tune with the particular horribleness of its dystopia

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

this makes no sense because their licensed anime are all done by a variety of different studios with no real consistent pattern to them

and also fullmetal alchemist is a square anime.

As is Soul Eater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Texhnolyze was really good but I think it's one of the few shows I consider watching again but then never actually doing it because it's such a downer.

"Good but would never want to experience again" is mostly something I've found to be the case with games, like for Nier or Pathologic.