Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Hollywood trifecta is this; a nutritionist giving you a ineffecient diet plan, some celebrity trainer giving you a terrible workout plan with way too many hours, and finally a doctor gives you more PED:s than you can count to make it all work anyway. Rinse and repeat for 6-9 months to look like Captain America before Christmas.

Some might have more reasonable diets and some might have an actually empirical training plan, but really it's all about the PED:s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Testosterone isn't really all that dangerous. I'm pretty sure doctors are prescribing that stuff pretty easily in America nowadays

That's what these actors take to get faster results. I've done it myself, it works great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mandrel posted:

i mean, they’re doing it with the backing of a team of doctors, trainers, dieticians and poo poo and it’s not like it’s a competitive sport; it’s fine. it’s not like Kumail is buying off the darkweb based on a program he put together off the bodybuilding.com forums
The people who suffer the most from these expectations are not the stars, but stuntmen and bit players who don't have all those advantages and have to rely more on drugs while being at risk of injuries. Their situation is not so different from that of pro wrestlers.

Also, the stars are not maintaining once the production ends, which is not good for you.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Collapsing Farts posted:

Testosterone isn't really all that dangerous. I'm pretty sure doctors are prescribing that stuff pretty easily in America nowadays

That's what these actors take to get faster results. I've done it myself, it works great.

There's a significant difference between injecting testosterone 'in general' and using it to exceed the human's body natural maximum capacity to hold skeletal muscle over an extended period of time.

It's not long now before we hear how Kumail Nanjiani works out 7 hours a day, eats 6 times a day, and sleeps 20 hours a day.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

I mean... duh. But you don't go on Conan and talk about how they injected a cocktail of nightmares directly into your shriveled testicles twice a day. You talk about eating bags of salmon and getting to drink a single La Croix as a treat.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

That's marketing - you can tell because the merchandising takes up the majority of the article.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Inkspot posted:

I mean... duh. But you don't go on Conan and talk about how they injected a cocktail of nightmares directly into your shriveled testicles twice a day. You talk about eating bags of salmon and getting to drink a single La Croix as a treat.

Why not? "...and after some salmon a "doctor" from Belize injects a mix of methamphetamine, heroin and horse sperm directly into my scrotum" would be a way more fun talking point than salmon alone.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Because the idea of success and progress being synthetic is antithetical to all prevalent U.S. ideology.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The Rock's day to day job seems to mainly consist of shoveling food into his throat and then burning all those calories off.

I bet Sisyphus was mega jacked too, difference is he never had an IG account or else he would've been posting a lot of inspirational boulder pushing stories.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Rabelais D posted:

The Rock's day to day job seems to mainly consist of shoveling food into his throat and then burning all those calories off.

I bet Sisyphus was mega jacked too, difference is he never had an IG account or else he would've been posting a lot of inspirational boulder pushing stories.

This is precisely the fitness propaganda pushed by the imagery of those who exceed the maximum capacity of muscular development possible: that what's holding you back from bodily perfection is a lack of habitual commitment & effort. What's left out of all of their sage advice is that injecting synthetic chemicals into your body is more effective than all natural options - one who chooses to go the synthetic route and sits on the couch will propel past any natural endeavor.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Y’all area lot more trusting in the integrity of Hollywood doctors than what’s probably warranted, it’s only been a couple years since Disney killed Carrie Fisher after all

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Y’all area lot more trusting in the integrity of Hollywood doctors than what’s probably warranted, it’s only been a couple years since Disney killed Carrie Fisher after all

it’s more just that PEDs aren’t actually that dangerous

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

KVeezy3 posted:

injecting synthetic chemicals into your body is more effective than all natural options - one who chooses to go the synthetic route and sits on the couch will propel past any natural endeavor.
No.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

No, what?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If you inject steroids and sit on the couch you're not going to get anything out of it but bigger tits. If that's what you're after I recommend spironolactone.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

If you inject steroids and sit on the couch you're not going to get anything out of it but bigger tits. If that's what you're after I recommend spironolactone.

That's where you're wrong, bucko!

[

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Uh huh, and what's your scientific study that counters https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101, which notes that the drugged up non-exercising group built up roughly double the muscle mass of the natural group who exercised?

EDIT: Beaten to it by McCloud :argh:.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 31, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've argued for a while that Zach Galifianakis would actually make the ideal Disney Buff Man. He may just not be interested in that but it would be amazing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Collapsing Farts posted:

Doctors prescribed opiates to anyone who stubbed their toe as well and it turns out that was an incredibly horrible idea with massive health consequences. The TRT industry is absolutely a racket that preys on men’s insecurities to convince them that they need to doped to the gills to be healthy. I have a friend who is on TRT and their screening method is basically “your T levels are below average, let’s get you four standard deviations above the mean!”

It’s probably possible to do test safely but I also don’t think that is commensurate with the goal of getting as jacked as humanly possible in the shortest time possible and I also don’t think many of the doctors who push this stuff really give a poo poo about safety.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The opiates thing seems cyclical, pretty sure the Victorians were all hosed up on opium and laudanum.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
As a guy who has done steroids, especially in my mid 30's, I can attest to how effective they are for an older dude. I can also attest to the fact that steroid-usage is incredibly widespread nowadays compared to when I was younger, it's just way easier to get them (and all other drugs) through the internet nowadays. There are quite a lot of youtube vids of teens doing steroids now... people start early.

The more you learn about and get into the "fitness world" the more you realize that a lot of it is just people on drugs skipping ahead of everyone not on drugs. The basic steroids are not expensive, it's not complicated to use them and for most people there are no health complications.

Now ask yourselves, if there are so god drat many people who take steroids for no other reason than to stroke their own egos, then imagine how many athletes and hollywood stars are taking them when there are millions of dollars on the line

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 31, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Do we have a subforum for that stuff? I'm curious to try it out.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

anatomi posted:

Do we have a subforum for that stuff? I'm curious to try it out.

there’s a megathread in TCC I think

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

As a guy who has done steroids, especially in my mid 30's, I can attest to how effective they are for an older dude. I can also attest to the fact that steroid-usage is incredibly widespread nowadays compared to when I was younger, it's just way easier to get them (and all other drugs) through the internet nowadays. There are quite a lot of youtube vids of teens doing steroids now... people start early.

I mean it's widespread for a reason and that is modern movies and Instagram. Everywhere you have juicers pretending to be natural for money, selling a fantasy of results that simply can't be achieved with any level of hard work. It's like an endless expanding spiral of juicing.

I think discourse on PED:s would be a lot less destructive if actors and influencers weren't financially dependent on lying about it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I mean it's widespread for a reason and that is modern movies and Instagram. Everywhere you have juicers pretending to be natural for money, selling a fantasy of results that simply can't be achieved with any level of hard work. It's like an endless expanding spiral of juicing.

I think discourse on PED:s would be a lot less destructive if actors and influencers weren't financially dependent on lying about it.

agreed. it really isn’t that dangerous and can be done safely and relatively consequence free but the shadiness and stigma of it all leads people to get bad information, little to no proper blood testing, bad drugs. which is the problem with most illegal drug use I guess

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sinister 6 theory seeming even more likely:

quote:

Michael Keaton To Return As Vulture In Spider-Man: No Way Home

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sinister 6 theory seeming even more likely:

Micheal Keaton is gonna have a weird time being in multi-verses in two different superhero movie franchises.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's something kind if skeevy about noting that body standards are hosed due to the prevalence of juicing, and then saying "oh but it's totally safe and good".

Very TCC adjacent to an outsider.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

There's something kind if skeevy about noting that body standards are hosed due to the prevalence of juicing, and then saying "oh but it's totally safe and good".

why? both statements are largely true and not contradictory.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

If you can get strong in a way that doesn't compromise your physical health at all, that's cool. Strength helps you do stuff and be comfortable.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't do drugs kids.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

Micheal Keaton is gonna have a weird time being in multi-verses in two different superhero movie franchises.

Digitally edit some of the background posters in future releases of Birdman to establish that he was both Vulture and Batman, boom, all Sony/WB/Disney comic book movies are under the BCU.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Don't do drugs kids.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Martman posted:

If you can get strong in a way that doesn't compromise your physical health at all, that's cool. Strength helps you do stuff and be comfortable.

You can also do this without drugs, hth.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

FilthyImp posted:

If juicing or just the use of PEDs and various chemical treatments to improve your body was less taboo and more openly discussed things would be a lot better for everybody. Not in the sense of "everyone should do this" just in the sense of having better health outcomes.

- People would be able to get things prescribed by their primary doctor, or at least get a rec to the right person, without having to contrive a bunch of nonsense or resort to dodgy sources. And that would mean better health monitoring while using PEDs, which is really the important piece to prevent disastrous effects either during or after use.
- We could have discussions about the problem of undiagnosed of body dysmorphia in men, among other mental health issues related to body image or health, and how the fitness industry exacerbates that by making everyone think that all it takes is working hard, lifting heavier, drinking a gallon of milk a day, eating macro-filled meals every two hours, etc...instead of the truth that any celebrity who is seen as a paragon of fitness is getting juiced up to their gills.
- Normalizing the idea that insanely fit body standards are actually not achievable or even desirable for the average person would do a lot to bring idealized body standards down to earth, or least take some of the pressure off.

I guess I'm a bit biased because I've been around these spaces and conversations for like half my life at this point so to me this is almost a chicken versus egg discussion. You can't assume that making it harder to get PEDs will solve any of that other stuff, and just like with most drug use issues might actually cause more harmful outcomes - gotta work it all equally in increments and stay the course long enough to see the benefits come to fruition.

That said I hope this dude has a really really good team to help him ramp down from this both physically and mentally because yikes.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mat Cauthon posted:

If juicing or just the use of PEDs and various chemical treatments to improve your body was less taboo and more openly discussed things would be a lot better for everybody.
From the standpoint of "yeah let people use things recreationally and responsibly" then it makes sense. I guess my reticence is a combination of stories about your valves rocketing off your heart/bacne/shriveled Hulk Hogan balls, and the fact that like Rogaine it's a temporary fix.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

From the standpoint of "yeah let people use things recreationally and responsibly" then it makes sense. I guess my reticence is a combination of stories about your valves rocketing off your heart/bacne/shriveled Hulk Hogan balls, and the fact that like Rogaine it's a temporary fix.

I think you're right to be cautious, as saying non-abusive use of it is 'pretty much safe' is a loaded claim. Like even if things go completely right, that necessitates directly messing with your hormonal balance.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You can also do this without drugs, hth.

Yeah, like getting bit by a radioactive spider.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The PED issue is a bit more nuanced than what public discourse does justice. Your balls won't atrophy if a cycle is done correctly, you won't fly into some sort of steroid induced hulk rage, and if done correctly any side effects can be limited/avoided/reversed.

But because anti-drug propaganda pumps out these ridiculously false claims about steroids, and because all the fitness instagram models keep their use of of it a secret so they can peddle their "tailor made" diet and work out plans that won't work because their customers aren't juciing, people end up with warped expectations and body dismorphia issues.

It's better to just come clear about the whole thing so everyone can set reasonable expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Disney branded steroid regiments