Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHO WAS MOST OVER
This poll is closed.
ORANGE 57 34.34%
MIRO 32 19.28%
HANGMAN 30 18.07%
INNER CIRCLE 14 8.43%
BRITT BAKER 22 13.25%
CODY 6 3.61%
DARBY 5 3.01%
Total: 166 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Man, I got so hyped watching the PPV. 7 out of 9 matches were awesome, the battle royale was pretty good with a fantastic finishing sequence, and the Cody match was... a Cody match. But seriously up there for me as one of the best PPVs I've ever seen, what a trip.

There have also been some absolute bangers of bad takes in this thread so far, the five star classic has gotta be that Britt's reign is doomed from the start. Somebody quote that back in 6 months time, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smarxist posted:

anyone else think that aew could be building to a second brand with main shows? :thunk:

I don't think so and I sure hope not.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I haven't seen a lot of buzz about it, but rebranding Sky and Ego and the Men of the Year, complete with magazine spread Tonytron is Very Good

Ethan Page's mannerisms when he was on the ring apron has finally sold me on him. He needs to keep that up in matches, tag and single.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i was never a big ethan page fan when seeing him on the indies but the last few weeks w scorpio sky have been really fun and the don match was surprisingly great old fashioned sports entertaining. and yea "men of the year" is a great branding of them.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I have to say, seeing Scorpio bump like a madman for Sting won me back over a bit.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dango Bango posted:

I have to say, seeing Scorpio bump like a madman for Sting won me back over a bit.

the "he's right behind me, isn't he" spot alone was gold

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PPV did 150k, previous highest PPV was 125k

https://twitter.com/alex_greenlay/status/1399541614587039747?s=21

flex them biceps tony

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hey everyone I made a meme

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/shidahikaru/status/1399563237134376960

Hell yeah Shida

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

coconono posted:

flex them biceps tony

after the explosion botch more people are buying the PPVs to see how AEW will whiff it big this time, sad

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

flex them biceps tony

The Scoop Master Alex Greenlay.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I don't think so and I sure hope not.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the show probably slightly edged out last year's DoN since that the way Dave sold the positive news

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gonzo McFee posted:

I enjoyed Cody/Ogogo. I realise this makes me a double Hitler

I'm in a similar boat because I went into it not caring about how good the match was or the result or any of Cody's :911: poo poo. The only thing I wanted out of the match was to see whether or not Ogogo can go in the ring and he can so it was a resounding success to me. :lol:

Ogogo is going to be so loving huge for this company, I just, like. I can't even make myself pretend to care about the result of one match against Cody. I just can't!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i definitely teared up when he won. i was a huge sting fan as a kid but my family was too poor to ever go to a WCW show. i stopped watching when WCW died and i started paying attention again around the time sting returned to WWE. his career ended before i knew it and i just assumed i'd never get to see sting wrestle live, and it didn't even really hit me until he came out and started hitting big moves. the crowd chanting "you still got it" really got me.

The way you guys popped for the Stinger Splash owned, btw

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I just quit my F4W sub - what did Dave/Bryan not like about Ogogo? Just that he's green in general? I thought it was a wonderful outing for a 3rd televised match (or whatever it was).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

after the explosion botch more people are buying the PPVs to see how AEW will whiff it big this time, sad

This PPV which was merely great and successful and had no embarrassing technical failures or disastrous injuries, will surely lead to people leaving in droves. AEW is practically dead already.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm invested in every storyline, even what comes next for pinnacle and IC

everything feels like it's moving along swiftly, like did anyone else catch the Knox thing in BTE?! that's going to be real isn't it?!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

everything feels like it's moving along swiftly, like did anyone else catch the Knox thing in BTE?! that's going to be real isn't it?!

rick knox has always been in the elite's back pocket

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I just went back and rewatched the finish of the triple threat to see the reaction for OC's two count. Need to give MAJOR props to Aubrey for how cool her entrance into the ring was. Basically dove through the ropes and rolled into position for the count. Amazing.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
watched elevation and I wasn't prepared for how over varisty blondes are. wow. was TK the one to pair griff and bpjr together? and also the acclaimed guys too right? if so, the man certainly knows how to create a tag team. both are excelling wildly right now and fit so naturally with each other.

also brian pillman jr is a surprisingly good promo! griff has more in ring talent right now, but brian can definitely talk better of the two.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

smarxist posted:

BTE is always canon.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DuhSal posted:

watched elevation and I wasn't prepared for how over varisty blondes are. wow. was TK the one to pair griff and bpjr together? and also the acclaimed guys too right? if so, the man certainly knows how to create a tag team. both are excelling wildly right now and fit so naturally with each other.

also brian pillman jr is a surprisingly good promo! griff has more in ring talent right now, but brian can definitely talk better of the two.

Yeah, The Acclaimed, Varsity Blonds, and Men of The Year are TK pairings. I think Sting and Darby too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The more belts you have the less special they are. Not everyone needs a title right now this second, the people we care about are all gonna get their time in due course

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you have over 100 belts that's so special i don't even know how to talk it. What is the maximum belts?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

As long as people have memorable matches and feuds and the company treats them like I star I don't care if they ever get titles. I felt the same way in the old WWF days and ECW. WWE has made title wins meaningless and nothing matters there now to the point where I don't think they can turn it around. I read the results of RAW tonight and honestly it doesn't even feel like a wrestling show anymore especially when I compare it to Dynamite let alone DON

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Scarf posted:

Sammy needs a belt... im not a fan of have a million different belts, but id love to see a cruiser-weight belt in aew.
how bout a #1 contenders belt to be fought amongst the unranked midcard that would allow them to jump the line? a belt like that that's meant to be hotshotted feels like an appealing proposition in the current aew environment

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
That sounds dumb as hell

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Cannot believe we are getting Bucks vs Penta & PAC on Friday!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

That sounds dumb as hell

Well to be fair that's how the briefcase in NJPW is handled right? Like you can fight for it? Also in Lucha Underground they had like an Aztec medallion belt that you had to fight people to get all 5 medallions to earn a title shot that was pretty cool. It can be done well but honestly they kinda treat the number one spot like that in AEW like how we saw with Page and Cage

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I feel like they do enough “winner gets a title shot” gimmicks often enough that there doesn’t need to be a physical item that exists in perpetuity.

I also get the feeling that Tony isn’t going to do a briefcase/money in the bank deal where you can call your shot anytime soon.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shard posted:

Well to be fair that's how the briefcase in NJPW is handled right? Like you can fight for it? Also in Lucha Underground they had like an Aztec medallion belt that you had to fight people to get all 5 medallions to earn a title shot that was pretty cool. It can be done well but honestly they kinda treat the number one spot like that in AEW like how we saw with Page and Cage

The briefcase in NJPW is very much not for midcard jobbers.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

That PPV number is a monster number, jeez. They’re not far at all from reaching WWE’s pre-network numbers (non-Wrestlemania, of course).

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I'm not in favour of more belts, maybe a Trios belt, but it'd be cool to have more one-shot awards, like "G1 Winner" or "King of the Ring" type stuff. Have a cruiserweight tournament, winner gets a big trophy and a title shot of his choice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

It goes: Dynamite on TNT. Rampage starts on TNT in August. In early 2022 both shows move to TBS. Then TNT specials every 3ish months.
Ah. I still haven't read anything about how they plan to brand the TNT title, so I wasn't sure. I could still see them doing a Rampage belt, but it's not necessary. Trios first, then see where the roster is after that I guess.

I feel like there could also be one more mid-summer PPV just to fill the gap. It's a bit of a lull when the schedule is September/November/March/May, unless Fyter Fest or FFTF is going back to PPV. Glad they're doing big specials though.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I feel like they do enough “winner gets a title shot” gimmicks often enough that there doesn’t need to be a physical item that exists in perpetuity.

I also get the feeling that Tony isn’t going to do a briefcase/money in the bank deal where you can call your shot anytime soon.
I like when promotions have titles that aren't belts, like back when FCW had a medal and a tiara. I thought they were going to do that with MJF's diamond ring once a year, but now it's just his prop.

Big Queefy
Jan 27, 2013

My favorite thing about MJF is how low key hardcore he is.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Hey everyone I made a meme

needs more New York subway ratman

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*me reading the dog story

**my friend who knows the dog story is fake

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Ah. I still haven't read anything about how they plan to brand the TNT title, so I wasn't sure. I could still see them doing a Rampage belt, but it's not necessary. Trios first, then see where the roster is after that I guess.

I feel like there could also be one more mid-summer PPV just to fill the gap. It's a bit of a lull when the schedule is September/November/March/May, unless Fyter Fest or FFTF is going back to PPV. Glad they're doing big specials though.
I like when promotions have titles that aren't belts, like back when FCW had a medal and a tiara. I thought they were going to do that with MJF's diamond ring once a year, but now it's just his prop.

wasn't all out in august once or was that my imagination? if not, all out should be in august.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
NWA has a midcard belt where if you retain it seven times, you get a world title shot, also the time limit for matches is 10 minutes.

I don't necessarily think AEW should have that but I think it's kinda cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DuhSal posted:

wasn't all out in august once or was that my imagination? if not, all out should be in august.

It's end of August/start of September, the gap is only actually 3 months