Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Simone Magus posted:

Isn't it weird how a bunch of posters I've never seen before just started posting in the past couple days and yet nobody is like "who are you", must be nice

no

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Harrow posted:

where'd that poll come from

sounds like me playing " wreck fest" 🤪

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Simone Magus posted:

Isn't it weird how a bunch of posters I've never seen before just started posting in the past couple days and yet nobody is like "who are you", must be nice

Uhhh, well, SOME of us are in witness protection, so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

Realistically, people are somewhat suspicious of recent reg dates because people tend to assume nobody new is actually signing up for SA anymore

Should they be? Eh, probably not. But if you're looking for the real explanation, that's it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

when u joined someone had just flamed out and left and you had a new reg date, but it wasnt cool that people jumped to immediatley accusing you over it and i believe i said as much at the time. i hope we can all post together in harmony.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Are you ok? This isn't some weird dig or anything, I'm honestly a little worried about you.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Simone Magus posted:

We aren't a single entity. We're a bunch of individuals posting on a public message board. A few like minded posters can make it seem like everyone is of one opinion or another. You have to stop seeing this as some sort of democracy or community, this is essentially a public place and the mods are there largely to prevent behavior that is wrong in absolutes, like racism and hate speech. There is an ignore button and it is very powerful. If you don't like someone, push the button and they won't exist for you anymore. It's the only way this can work, you can't expect attitudes and opinions to be policed.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I only remember people who vote for Bowsette.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Relax Or DIE posted:

anyone played much of griftlands?

I played quite a bit in Early Access and absolutely love it. It has the fun deck-building of slay the spire with lots of additional systems layered on top. It's tough but not grueling like StS and you'll probably be winning runs before long. That said, you can also put additional difficulty modifiers on once you want an extra challenge.

I highly recommend it and am really looking forward to the 1.0 release.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Infinitum posted:

I only remember people who vote for Bowsette.

now the question is it with fondness or......

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I played a bunch of Griftlands, but it was when I was deep in the Slay the Spire hole, which ended up with me just wanting to play StS more than Griftlands. 1.0 should be a good time to go back because it seemed interesting with all the little narrative bits it had.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

they should make a Jojo Yakuza like they made a Fist of the North Star Yakuza

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

This makes me want to watch Fist of the North Star, so I can then feel confident playing the Fist of the North Star Yakuza

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

This makes me want to watch Fist of the North Star, so I can then feel confident playing the Fist of the North Star Yakuza

:justgame:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm always gamin

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Video games have turned my kids into wage slaves – but without the wages

quote:

There are currently three computer games occupying the house: the 13-year-old (M), sometimes in conjunction with the 11-year-old (F), plays Fortnite, a game mainly about shooting people; the 13-year-old (F), also sometimes with the collaboration of the 11-year-old, plays Genshin Impact, a whimsical, open-world environment game, whatever the hell that means. Avatars dressed as pirates or fairies wander about the place, doing chores, occasionally fighting giant warthogs. Mr Z plays Hitman, another shooting game with very densely layered storylines, though he always skips them so never knows what’s going on beyond that; the aim is to leave everyone else dead in a laundry hamper.

Observing all this, I feel like the manager of a hi-tech sweat shop. Everyone is locked in concentration, shouting over headphones at other people who may or may not be in the same house, a cross between high-intensity data inputting and horribly frazzled air traffic control. I know what I should be worrying about – are they getting enough fresh air? Will they become addicted? Is this a useful life lesson, to find meaning through shooting others?

What I’m actually worried about is that this is way too much like work. Task-driven, repetitive, monotonous but immersive, often very frustrating, it’s exactly like having a bullshit job. The best thing about childhood, the bit that makes up for people constantly telling you what to do and where to be, is that you have those years outside the productive economy, where no one thinks to measure your worth by the net value you create, where all you have to do is grow and be endearing. While it remains the case that none of them is creating any value, in every other respect they are at the coal face, wage slaves without the wages. I’m worried that the kids have a seriousness of purpose, a rigidity of application totally out of whack with the task in hand, that nobody should rightly learn until their mid-20s, answering emails with no greater aim than creating more emails.

The best solution I’ve come up with is to find a game of my own. I play Five Nights at Freddy’s on a virtual reality headset. The genre is indie horror, which I think means it’s like regular horror except with bears and a more sinister atmosphere. It’s nothing like having a job. It’s like being trapped in a nightmare that is much more real than any of my nightmares. I love it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

They did. It's Stardust Crusaders.

:v:

More seriously, Eyes of Heaven exists and is kiiiiiiinda what you're after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtqEtcUme9s

You would need to know a fuckload about all 8 parts to enjoy it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

We aren't a single entity. We're a bunch of individuals posting on a public message board.

speak for youself

i'm speaking as a part of the gestalt entity of games chat poster

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

This should get you in the mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOhCtrQ9XU8

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im growing concerned about my kid. theyre learning guitar. is this like ajob?? theyre having to practice a lot?? seems like it sucks?? anyway i prefer to hit myself in the head with hammers to unwind.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I highly recommend the SuperBestFriends LP of Eyes of Heaven to fill you over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zo5J8apUEo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfTdYZYP6Tc

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Bowsette returning to the poll is exactly the pick me up I needed, bless you.

Currently playing Moon rpg on switch. Just a wonderful chill game after the first hour or so (you have a daily limit that is very tight at first but it's not an issue for long).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Mr Z plays Hitman, another shooting game with very densely layered storylines, though he always skips them so never knows what’s going on beyond that; the aim is to leave everyone else dead in a laundry hamper.

Observing all this, I feel like the manager of a hi-tech sweat shop. Everyone is locked in concentration, shouting over headphones at other people who may or may not be in the same house, a cross between high-intensity data inputting and horribly frazzled air traffic control. I know what I should be worrying about – are they getting enough fresh air? Will they become addicted? Is this a useful life lesson, to find meaning through shooting others?

Hitman answered that question back in Hitman 2 (the first one)

e: The answer was "absolutely"

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 1, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

CubeTheory posted:

We aren't a single entity. We're a bunch of individuals posting on a public message board. A few like minded posters can make it seem like everyone is of one opinion or another. You have to stop seeing this as some sort of democracy or community, this is essentially a public place and the mods are there largely to prevent behavior that is wrong in absolutes, like racism and hate speech. There is an ignore button and it is very powerful. If you don't like someone, push the button and they won't exist for you anymore. It's the only way this can work, you can't expect attitudes and opinions to be policed.

I mean SA isn't Twitter or Reddit. It's definitely more of a community than it is a bunch of people hollering in the middle of the street. It's smaller, there are def. communities within subforums/threads, there's a lot of history.

As a community it's also honestly way kinder than its ever been. I came back to this site recently after years of staying well away and the edges have softened so much it's kind of incredible. Back in the 'oughts, people would drop a specific homophobic slur like every other post as if it was nothing, and basically every forum had entire threads devoted to cyberbullying someone who was usually a combination of not part of somethingawful but also mildly eccentric. It was, in hindsight, bad and hosed!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Stux posted:

im growing concerned about my kid. theyre learning guitar. is this like ajob?? theyre having to practice a lot?? seems like it sucks?? anyway i prefer to hit myself in the head with hammers to unwind.

That's what I got.

I guess I need to worry about my kid taking care of his betta. Fish are like work.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Relax Or DIE posted:

anyone played much of griftlands?

Hey, uh, buddy. Yeah, you, just step over here a moment. You want to buy some, uh, lands?

tithin posted:

guess they officially had to make yuffie a part of part 1 given everyone called the grand daughter of the angel of the slums as yuffie
what did you play it on

I hope Kiria will be playing the role of Roche for Yuffie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Where can I get a 9-5 killing people and stuffing them into hampers

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

I mean SA isn't Twitter or Reddit. It's definitely more of a community than it is a bunch of people hollering in the middle of the street. It's smaller, there are def. communities within subforums/threads, there's a lot of history.

As a community it's also honestly way kinder than its ever been. I came back to this site recently after years of staying well away and the edges have softened so much it's kind of incredible. Back in the 'oughts, people would drop a specific homophobic slur like every other post as if it was nothing, and basically every forum had entire threads devoted to cyberbullying someone who was usually a combination of not part of somethingawful but also mildly eccentric. It was, in hindsight, bad and hosed!

It feels like so many toxic people jumped ship after the back to back lowtax. We lost some good posters, but a lot of the mild misogyny and homophobia seems to have disappeared.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

Where can I get a 9-5 killing people and stuffing them into hampers

you might have to be flexible on the hours but have you looked into organized crime?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the extreme irony of the author playing the most joblike game of them all, that of a security guard tasked to look out for intruders on a bunch of monitors

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I want a good JoJo game but they are so tied to the source material that I think making something really open-world would be difficult. If they did, Diamond is Unbreakable would probably be the best thing to crib from since it takes place in one town.

I was playing a bit of the Golden Wind PS2 game and it's about what I'd expect for an adaptation of the series. There's apparently a PS4 game covering the whole series but both of these games are mainly arena fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wMtsnE_F00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqg83WyLMIA

e: fuckin beat, shoulda used za warudo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm not sure about Dishonored 2. It's fine. It's beautiful. But it feels perfunctory. Outside the graphical refresh, I don't think it's much of an improvement over the original. There's barely any evolution of the core concepts. Level design might be a step back in some cases (I know there some upcoming levels that are supposed to be standouts, though, so I'm looking forward to that).

Can't complain too much because almost no one else makes these games, and I have to stress it's not bad, but it very much feels like it's Arkane spinning its wheels.

And the chaos system remains a pet peeve of mine. I told myself I'd just go with the flow: try and avoid unnecessary killing but stab a dude when I have to. And I immediately ended up with high chaos at the end of the first level. So the next level I reined it in, but it was so much less fun and it still wasn't enough to change the chaos rating. Caring about this stuff is optional, but at least for me it's hard to completely disconnect from. I would have liked it if it recognized my half and half approach, but it seems the threshold for chaos is fairly low.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Games Chat has always been pretty pleasant in my experience as a frequent lurker/sometimes poster - (thanks for being the best place to post about video games???)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

the extreme irony of the author playing the most joblike game of them all, that of a security guard tasked to look out for intruders on a bunch of monitors

the animatronics are just managers, really

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Games Chat has always been pretty pleasant in my experience as a frequent lurker/sometimes poster - (thanks for being the best place to post about video games???)

become a frequent poster imo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Roach Warehouse posted:

No, thank you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol I saw that the guardian is such trash

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I read that guardian article at work today and it seemed such an empty take that I’m genuinely not sure what the point was.

“My kids are playing video games and taking them seriously, that seems bad but not too bad. P.S. I’m playing FNaF, it sucks and I love it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Oh of course it is a Zoe Williams Guardian article. Hahaha! What a great newspaper.