Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Vandar posted:

I almost wanted to complain about the new duo lab only giving rewards if your team wins two games, but uh...

Your partner's games counting for your quests INCLUDING PRISMATIC QUESTS? is really loving awesome?

i did it once and my reward was 50xp x 2.... yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Someone was talking about being a new player. If I was a new player I'd:
  • Lab of Legends gives an extra 400, 200, 100 exp for the first 3 wins of the day
  • Beating players gives an extra 400, 200, 100 exp for the first 3 wins of the day. I played a lot of expedition when I was new but you can do whatever you want honestly - some of the labs are fast and a good way to learn the game and count for the pvp bonus I think.
  • Get a bunch of regions to ~8. Pick the regions with bonus exp and just make use of the bonus exp. Ignore the regions without bonus exp until after you burn through the bonus exp. After 8 go for 12 or stop caring depending on your goal.
  • Expedition gives you free stuff and you get some free expeditions
  • Focus on building 1 good deck. Don't actually spend your epic & legendary wildcards until you can make the whole deck tho. Common and to a lesser extent rare wildcards will quickly not be an issue.
  • There are budget decks out there that will get you to plat at least and use only commons with maybe a few rares. LoR does actually have lots of decks that can perform okay on ladder. Way more than any other CCG I've played.

Just do stuff you like imo. I'd definitely get the 3 lab of legends wins everyday tho. It takes 5 minutes and is super worth it and a great way to do dailies too. Plus, lab of legends is super fun anyway and if you don't think so you have dubious judgment or have played it way too much.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 21, 2021

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Yeah, it's important to remember that normal lab is super fun for people. They get to play with a bunch of cards, make ridiculous combos, and the AI is like punching a bag of cotton candy.

gently caress legendary difficulty though. Got it with Aphelios and I'm capping out on heroic with everyone else.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do think Merciless Hunter is a bit too busted, it's hard for that card not to 2 for 1 in value, granting units vulnerable permanently is really underrated in how powerful it is, it's better then challenger in most cases.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I do think Merciless Hunter is a bit too busted, it's hard for that card not to 2 for 1 in value, granting units vulnerable permanently is really underrated in how powerful it is, it's better then challenger in most cases.

It should probably be 4/2 to distinguish itself more from sandspinner. I also like the idea of only granting vulnerable this round and next round.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Nice meta blizz.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow, and that's with the winrate trending downwards? Imagine if it were trending upwards!

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

For comparison in previous metas we've had popular decks with 60%+ winrates

The amount of complaining about azirelia is still out of proportion to its performance, and its playrate is clearly driven by factors other than its winrate.

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
It’s more fun to pilot than any of the other degenerate meta dominating decks that have had higher win rates. I would take this meta over 30 minute long Aphelios mirrors every time.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
In Platinum, I feel like I'm seeing a lot more Matron Cithria than this chart tells me exists.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Also keep in mind with that huge play rate it's mostly going to be going against mirrors or decks DESIGNED to have counters against it and it's still a really high winrate.

Edit: I literally just played 3 games using decks designed to have counters to irelia/azir built in and queued into irelia/azir and lost all 3 of them in entirely different bullshitty ways, from marshal making the free attacks too big to block, lead and follow avoiding removal and letting azir level up on turn 4 and irelia swapping with a elusive and then swapping a 14/14 sparring student in it's elusive place.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 24, 2021

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Also keep in mind with that huge play rate it's mostly going to be going against mirrors or decks DESIGNED to have counters against it and it's still a really high winrate.

"Everything else in the meta is designed to counter azirelia" just isn't true though. Look at that playrate graph. All the most played decks were highly played before Azirelia existed, and are not counters to it. Thresh Nasus is favored against her but its a really fair matchup, same goes for Shyvana. The only popular deck that's really dropped heavily in playrate in the Azirelia meta is TLC. The strong counters to Azirelia are the swarm aggro decks (Spiders/Azir Noxus), which have ~70% WR against her but still aren't being heavily played because everything else in the meta is so hostile to them.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
whats funny is tlc is worse lol. but the blade dance syngery with azir is just insane i have seen azir level up in like round 5 its way too powerful

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lets be real though when did you ever think you would see shyvana dragons as the 2nd most played deck

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

It was already being played a bunch before the patch (BBG popularised it on his stream) but it was basically overshadowed by Zoe Asol being better into that meta.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure why its playrate is so high right now. It's matchups into the meta aren't that great and it seems relatively challenging to pilot. Maybe it just shyvana fans who've been waiting for her to be viable.

hit button fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 25, 2021

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

For more context, let's look at the last few bad metas.

Go hard

Lee sin/Plaza duo nightmare. Despite the bitching looks like it might of been the most balanced recent period lmao.

loving Aphelios

A bunch from the rise and fall of TF/Fizz till The Big Dog Meta.

Every meta is twice as bad as the last lmao.

Also, this is important. Go look back at the first one I posted with Azirlia. That is the smallest "Other" has ever been as far as I can tell.

Wait never mind. The Big Dog, also made "Other" decks down to a 23% slice. And we all love thresh/Nasus right?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Irelia Azir has TWICE the play rate of TF/Fizz had and only 1(one) percent less win rate. And Thresh/Nasus was only two percent behind being twice the playrate lmao with similar winrate.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 25, 2021

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

teemo should be a 1/2

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is it a known bug when daily quests won't complete despite fulfilling their condition? It's happened twice now. My LoR daily was to stun three units at once. Crowd Control. Played that... Daybreak card that made my two Sunhawks and Leona's Daybreak stuns all go off on three different enemy units. The game didn't register it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Dawgstar posted:

Is it a known bug when daily quests won't complete despite fulfilling their condition? It's happened twice now. My LoR daily was to stun three units at once. Crowd Control. Played that... Daybreak card that made my two Sunhawks and Leona's Daybreak stuns all go off on three different enemy units. The game didn't register it.
I don't think I've seen that quest but I assume "at the same time" means three stuns from the same effect.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Awesome! posted:

lets be real though when did you ever think you would see shyvana dragons as the 2nd most played deck
It was an A tier deck before irelia+azir came out. It's pretty much zoe+aph+asol which was one of the best decks during tf+fizz and zoe+aph meta. In other metas you'd run more zoe instead of shyv, but shyv fits a role in this meta.

With that said, I would never expect it to be 10% of a meta. Even when it completely dominated every deck with tf or aphelios in it, which was like 90% of what you got at masters for a week or two, it had a dismal play rate and didn't even show up on mobalytics or lots of meta reports.

LoR is weird like that. The win rates presented by mobalytics don't accurately represent deck win rates and lots of really good decks get left out. Irelia+Azir is probably way stronger than the win rate shows because I keep seeing people who don't just play what's meta but instead play what they think is strong playing irelia+azir. And if something has a 30% play rate but 55% wr that's a real outlier, because generally the more people who play something the closer to 50% it gets as player skill alone tanks its advantage in aggregated stats like this. Nevermind that 30% play rate will warp a meta around it to beat it.

One of the better decks to play right now seems like nasus+thresh. It has a reasonable matchup against irelia+azir and does quite well against most of the stuff trying to counter it. It's what I'd play if I were grinding. Or I'd play a fast aggro deck or irelia+azir because I like that kind of deck but really dislike a meta centered on my deck.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 25, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pilchenstein posted:

I don't think I've seen that quest but I assume "at the same time" means three stuns from the same effect.

Ah, that could explain it but it didn't seem clear. I'm not even sure I have a deck that can stun three units at once. I just rerolled and did a lot of damage with Piltover cards so it was fine.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/game-updates/patch-2-9-0-notes/

2.9 Patch notes are live. Great news if you play the Lab, very little news if you play anything else.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

They nerfed ireliazir and buffed tali+malph. Thats something!

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

No Wave posted:

i dunno if 10+ mana is still enough to make malphite worth it, that is a alot of landmarks making GBS threads up your board till he comes online

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

No Wave posted:

They also buffed her in the bug fixes...

Reddit is melting down lmao

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Why didn't they buff Zilean? What is the point of printing that card if you are gonna leave it worthless.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
the marshal change feels kinda meaningless. by the time she enters the board on an azir irelia deck it's pretty drat close to the end of the game. the blossom nerf might be a bit more meaningful but it's still really hard to gauge

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Sam Sanskrit posted:

Why didn't they buff Zilean? What is the point of printing that card if you are gonna leave it worthless.

There is apparently going to be another time travel champion called ekko that will pair up with zilean, they probably won't change him unless he's still bad at that point. Sort of like tayliah was left to rot until her buddy malphite was released.

Good nerfs imo, Marshall was too impactful for how impossible it was to kill. Slowing down blossoming blade is good too, it was too cheap considering all the recall shenanigans. I sort of wish flawless duet got pushed up by one but I can understand why they don’t want to touch irelia herself, she's probably the fairest card in the deck.

I still don't think tayliah malphite is going to work. Landmarks are so slow and tayliah still has all the same design flaws.

Expanding labs is fantastic, it's a great mode and I'm glad they're investing in it. And they made the tayliah deck better, now I can actually play it without wanting to kill someone, I hope!

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

There is apparently going to be another time travel champion called ekko that will pair up with zilean, they probably won't change him unless he's still bad at that point. Sort of like tayliah was left to rot until her buddy malphite was released.

Oh well that's working out then. I don't even think Malphite is the best champ to pair with Tayliah. He really benefits from her obviously but he's such a bad card I'm pretty sure her winrate is better with other champions.

I looked it up. Looks like she does better ditching the big guy and cozying up to Liss.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Lmao five of the biggest streamers just dropped the game.

Nice patch riot

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Without derailing the thread, this seems like a good two weeks to try out a new game. If I hate Magic, what is out there? Am I playing Mythgard?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Lmao five of the biggest streamers just dropped the game.

Nice patch riot

Link? Who?

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Swim
Mogwai
BruisedbyGod

Those are the only ones I know of, but then again LOR isnt huge.

Riot really hosed this up. After their "We're listening and we have tons of data!" post after just a week of Irelia, to do basically nothing to her (and TLC/Nasus) while NOT buffing the vast amount of underused cards....

Realistically I've only been playing Labs with some dips into PVP for Fiora action but even ruining peoples day is getting boring.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Mogwai, BBG, and Alanzq have all either tweeted or said on stream they're moving on to different games and swims extending his vacation another two weeks. That's only four so miss count on my part. But even all the smaller content creators and the high level tournament people with social media are so pissed lmao

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm super sporadic with how much I play Runeterra so I'm not super invested in game balance and ranked play and poo poo.

And even I looked at those patch notes and was like "....wait really that's it? That's all there is on an actual card balance patch?"

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm super sporadic with how much I play Runeterra so I'm not super invested in game balance and ranked play and poo poo.

And even I looked at those patch notes and was like "....wait really that's it? That's all there is on an actual card balance patch?"

I think that's honestly the main problem. Riot made such a big deal about "Balance Patches" and then to drop such a paltry patch is not a great look.

They'll be some PR bullshit next and then a knee jerk rushed balance patch in the next fews days.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Kris xK posted:

They'll be some PR bullshit next and then a knee jerk rushed balance patch in the next fews days.

Honestly this situation feels so bad that what you are saying may be the best case scenario. Worst case scenario is no further comments and no changes for weeks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It feels like people enjoy talking about balance patches than actually playing the game... myself included. I think it's a bit concerning for the health of the game long-term tbh, there's something about the game that makes people take balance issues incredibly seriously instead of just trying to have fun through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

bbg is playing runeterra right now

when he streams league he gets like 1/4 the viewers as lor

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 1, 2021