Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Insanely good demonstration of Evade gunlancing in Rise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heRsoOQKsv4

That's just Evade Window 2 with no Evade Extender - I expected more EW than that. The English translation of the set is around the 5:00 min mark in the video.

Evades every roar and attack even when they can't see the attack, just an in depth knowledge of Valstrax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Every video y'all post reminds me how I love watching Monster Hunter as much as playing it.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Having trouble doing Valstrax solo with the bow, and I refuse to switch to a different weapon just to see if that's easier. Its hitboxes are just so drat big!

At this HR, should I just be expecting most hits to deal half or more of my health? Cause it's starting to feel like I shouldn't even keep up defense decos and just save the slots for other things.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

If you're playing ranged, you're going to take almost twice as much damage as a melee player.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

man i am _bad_ at IG. freakin took me 20 minutes to kill a lagombi. i'm at HR 70 D:

gotta remember to keep my buffs up. i broke down and watch a video that will hopefully help. i'll give it a few more hunts and if it doesn't click give charge blade and/or switch axe a shot. it might just be that SnS suits me perfectly, though

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

man i am _bad_ at IG. freakin took me 20 minutes to kill a lagombi. i'm at HR 70 D:

gotta remember to keep my buffs up. i broke down and watch a video that will hopefully help. i'll give it a few more hunts and if it doesn't click give charge blade and/or switch axe a shot. it might just be that SnS suits me perfectly, though

Play IG against big monsters. Your aerial spinning chain attack is useless against small monsters.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Achmed Jones posted:

IG is a pain against all small monsters, don't even bother. If you have to fight a lagombi just do x-x-a combo on the ground and then animation cancel with recall Kinsect, repeat. Don't bother trying to do aerial stuff.

IG really shines on long monsters like Tigrex, diablos, and narwa/ibushi.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I loved IG in World, but I struggle with it in Rise for the same reason I struggled with the clutch claw and ranged weapons in Iceborne: training my hands to remember the different aiming inputs.

IG is wild though. I always felt really slippery with SnS in World, but IG just cranked it up to max.

Also protip for getting better at IG: make sure you make yourself look like a bug, too, so your kinsect feels a certain... kinship.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Saxophone posted:

For 20 bucks I may as well get Iceborn now, that claw thing looks neat.

I think the claw comes standard with World now? I definitely got training on it when I re-started my game, and then got Iceborne later

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the only monster hunter claw i respect is playing freedom unite

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Dyz posted:

AT Kirin was better than tempered Jho for farming streamstones in vanilla MHW. Just grab a draw GS or fire bow, hit his head repeatedly, and after he falls he keeps falling over until you take away 3/4s of his hp.

The GS would also regularly kill him on wakeup when he limped back his nest.

GS for Kirin you say:

MR 6* Kirin from the Admiral's Special Assignment to open up Guiding Lands stuff. GS supremacy in that quest, felt sorry for the Kirin.

The GL does fine too as I stuck a WSB on its hornless head.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Hammer also ruins Kirin's day.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

horn is good on kirin cuz you never bounce.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Sticky/Slice guns can also clown the horse.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rajang, Stygian Zinogre and Raging Brachydios - Iceborne is no longer loving around. Zin is a super fun and challenging fight. Brachy I don't even know because we triple carted in record time so I'm going to get much better armor before I go back to that one - I was 2 of those carts and don't even know what went down. Rajang needs a drug test before he's allowed into a game again - dude was nowhere near as hyper in GU or Rise.

Some kinda super soldier with a GS showed up for the second Stygian Zin run I did. I don't think I saw them take damage the whole hunt and they were doing major alterations to Zin's face most of the time.

Just unlocked Safi too, this is fun stuff. Just really stoked to be at this point of the game.

I missed the ability to take kill shots in Rise so here's Zin getting capped, looking all stylish with a WSB on its head.

Velkhana (Ice) and Namielle (Water) GLs have been a fun upgrade from the raw-based Jagras GL. All the big bads I'm running into seem to have 3* weaknesses to ice especially. They look pretty neat too, that's the Velk GL in the pic. Iceborne weapons have much better designs than base World I feel.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

v1ld posted:

If any of you folks doing World want to goon squad using the discord I'm up for it.
I'm down to join up and do some Guiding Lands or whatever. Don't really discord and use the mic or whatever, but you can friend me through steam - same name.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

v1ld posted:

Rajang needs a drug test before he's allowed into a game again - dude was nowhere near as hyper in GU or Rise.

Rajang in World is from the same line as Barioth. People have described Barioth as "cocaine-blooded," and I think that applies just as much to Rajang.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Rajang in World can combo nearly any attack out of any other attack if he feels like it, which makes him very hard to punish. His hitboxes also aren't as tight as they are in Rise, so things that are punishable in Rise will get you smacked around in World.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So do we know anything about the next Monster Hunter? Surely they have to be developing something after the success of World.

Also, picked up Iceborn. Claw is rad, I'm gonna guess I need to abuse the hell out of it later or something?

Also also, I was carting on things I shouldn't have until realized how much I should be abusing terrain as a hammer user. Now I'm doing sick flipz into heads and just absolutely demolishing their domes.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
G rank for Rise first late next year, year after that is 6th generation. The latter will probably get delayed a year because of covid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Next monster hunter will be a GAAS cross-platform nightmare of a game.

That’s right. Monster Hunter Frontier is BACK

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The next Monster Hunter will be a return to how the game was originally meant to be played, you push the right thumb stick in a direction to use specific attacks.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I'm down to join up and do some Guiding Lands or whatever. Don't really discord and use the mic or whatever, but you can friend me through steam - same name.

Cool, added you on Steam. Guiding Lands would be good to team up on.

I meant using the goon MH discord's PC channel to sync up, not voice. There's a bot that lets you advertise your current session to other goons.

The PC channel seems dead though, checked it a few times lately.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
next mh is a kart racing game fused with a dating sim

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Saxophone posted:

So do we know anything about the next Monster Hunter?

Nothing at all, aside from their continued desire to add underwater combat.

IIRC World was supposed to have underwater combat, it's why there's a huge portion of the Wildspire Wastes that's a big lake. You can see it if you climb up on something high and look towards the place Jyuratodos sleeps. Underwater combat got cut because they decided they'd only have time to implement either underwater combat or Zorah Magdaros and they chose Zorah.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

next mh is a kart racing game fused with a dating sim

Will we be dating monsters or other characters?

Um...asking for a friend.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

they decided they'd only have time to implement either underwater combat or Zorah Magdaros and they chose Zorah.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I can't imagine they chose between an entire combat, movement, and physics system or one big lava boi. I mean, I guess it's an environment all on its own, but eesh. Fighting it doesn't feel very monster huntery because it's not like I'm out there slapping it with my hammer. Tediously loading cannonballs was not the gripping butthole clenching moment they seem to think it was.

That said, I love how brutal all the monsters feel in World.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
zorah had its own small team devoted to developing it, so yeah they coulda used that manpower on something else. Hinsight is 20/20 and all that tho. Zorah was a neat idea, they just couldn't execute it right.

that being said, underwater combat opens its own can of worms. where you not only need to develop underwater modes for monsters but for every weapon as well. They considered it for one hot second but correctly went nah gently caress that. But the director for world is currently working on the next game so hey maybe next time!

Its funny that after scrapping underwater combat and leviathans, all we were left for a water rep was the dumb mud fish that hung out in some leftover puddles

Tbh tho i kinda miss underwater combat cause tri was my first game. I'm sure if they ever bring it back they could improve on it easily enough. Some kind of underwater wirebug would be p neat.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ngl underwater combat doesn't sound fun to me at all. i keep thinking 'well it'd be okay if X', where X is always basically "make it the same as above-ground." any sort of oxygen system sounds obnoxious, water slowing you down sounds obnoxious, the only thing that seems like it _could_ be cool is being able to position in 3-space but that's really hard to get right and even harder to balance when there's 14 weapons with vastly different mobility options

the idea of underwater monsters/levels sounds really rad, but none of the fighting mechanics i can think of sound fun to me

if there's a good way to do it tho im all ears

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm just imagining how boring underwater insect glaive would be.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing at all, aside from their continued desire to add underwater combat.

IIRC World was supposed to have underwater combat, it's why there's a huge portion of the Wildspire Wastes that's a big lake. You can see it if you climb up on something high and look towards the place Jyuratodos sleeps. Underwater combat got cut because they decided they'd only have time to implement either underwater combat or Zorah Magdaros and they chose Zorah.

Big citation needed, because they were definitely going to add in Leviathans like Lagiacrus but couldn't get the skeletons to animate right with the terrain. I never heard that they were going to add underwater combat.

Achmed Jones posted:

ngl underwater combat doesn't sound fun to me at all. i keep thinking 'well it'd be okay if X', where X is always basically "make it the same as above-ground." any sort of oxygen system sounds obnoxious, water slowing you down sounds obnoxious, the only thing that seems like it _could_ be cool is being able to position in 3-space but that's really hard to get right and even harder to balance when there's 14 weapons with vastly different mobility options

the idea of underwater monsters/levels sounds really rad, but none of the fighting mechanics i can think of sound fun to me

if there's a good way to do it tho im all ears

They had it Monster Hunter Tri and it was exactly as you described, and it was very poorly received. Movement was a pain in the rear end, and half the weapons were made useless (including ranged weapons because they had halved critical distance underwater).

Underwater combat should stay dead and buried.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't have many super fond memories of underwater combat. I played Lance in Tri which made water combat ez mode, but it was mostly kind of a just there sort of thing. I also definitely don't even remember how crucial oxygen was to it, I know it existed and sometimes there were air pockets but the memories are extremely faint. So it's probably for the best it doesn't come back, but I don't doubt that it's possible to make it good.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Sorry but getting to be a Drexciyan Wavejumper would rule.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Big citation needed, because they were definitely going to add in Leviathans like Lagiacrus but couldn't get the skeletons to animate right with the terrain. I never heard that they were going to add underwater combat.

They had it Monster Hunter Tri and it was exactly as you described, and it was very poorly received. Movement was a pain in the rear end, and half the weapons were made useless (including ranged weapons because they had halved critical distance underwater).

Underwater combat should stay dead and buried.
Its briefly mentioned in this article
https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/6549/creating-a-dense-open-world-a-lecture-from-yuya-tokuda-the-director-for-monster-hunter-world

And very briefly. Like it was quickly abandoned once he realized what a pain in the rear end it would be.

Article is worth a read tho, good look into the early development of world.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Tri was my first entry to the series, and I honestly really enjoyed the underwater combat. Fighting Lagiacrus in the ocean and Gobul in the swamp were fond memories for me.

I also really liked the motion controls, so take that as you will.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 3, 2021

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Underwater Lance was the best. Become the torpedo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
What does LBG want to do in 3.0? I've just been sat on the Narga for the entire game and everything is set up around that. (Very basic pierce set rather than the super optimal weak point set). Is the Ibushi gun strong enough after two upgrades to make up for the medium slot and crit you lose?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

Imagine using the insect glaive as a propeller to just rocket around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

What does LBG want to do in 3.0? I've just been sat on the Narga for the entire game and everything is set up around that. (Very basic pierce set rather than the super optimal weak point set). Is the Ibushi gun strong enough after two upgrades to make up for the medium slot and crit you lose?

If you're looking for more diversity as a LBG user you've got a couple of options:

Magnamalo is the undisputed king of Spread 3's, and is handy with Pierce & Normals too, you can make this gun do just about anything related to raw damage.
Zinogre can rapid-fire Slicing (very cool) and is okay with Normal 2's
Rathalos is the go-to for Fire Element gunning
Almudron is the go-to for Water
Khezu is great for Thunder
Goss Harag is good for Ice