Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Posting about board games while I'm at work is illegal, cause I can't join in as much as I want! :argh:

My fav board game is A Feast for Odin.
It takes 8-10+ hours to play.

If you want to watch Goons play board games, click my Vampire Killer tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking about the reporter who cited SA without an account because they kept quoting "gently caress"

Forget this dark mode poo poo, I want to use the swear filter as a registered user

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Draga posted:

Welp, it's June 2nd here in England and I am now 28 years old. Yay.

Congrats for making it through another year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

No one wins in talisman

Yeah it's great

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My core boardgame philosophy is "if your systems/mechanics are purely number crunching that a computer could do and your game has hundreds or thousands of little pieces, you've messed up"

Remembering that photo of the Bloodborne board game and cackling

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Posting about board games while I'm at work is illegal, cause I can't join in as much as I want! :argh:

My fav board game is A Feast for Odin.
It takes 8-10+ hours to play.

If you want to watch Goons play board games, click my Vampire Killer tag.

my friends and i played this on tabletop simulator and it is indeed quite fun, though our games never ran that drat long, jeez

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My core boardgame philosophy is "if your systems/mechanics are purely number crunching that a computer could do and your game has hundreds or thousands of little pieces, you've messed up"

Remembering that photo of the Bloodborne board game and cackling

Sometimes the number crunching is fun though, and there are times when the tactile feel of having physical pieces you're managing as well as your own presence and playstyle really helps where a computer program can only carry the rules.

For example, there's a game called Millennium Blades that is a tableau building game where you have lods of emone, just big fat wads to whop on the table, and you're simulating the buying and trading of a children's trading card game. Everyone plays as a different character, you get a deckbox that will help you score points in a particular way, and you all purchase booster packs from a central market where you're tossing out all the cards except the rare one (in reality each booster pack is literally just said rare card with the booster packaging as the back of the card), and you score points over the course of the rounds by getting various different card combinations in your tableau. There are various random scoring rules added in as surprises to shake things up and there are enough ways to score otherwise that you'll generally have some idea going into the market phase what it is you want to do, to purchase.

The thing that ties it all together is the timed section where everyone is tossing wads of cash around or various cards they have, trying to get them sold back to the market or trying to corner the market on a particular card so you can force others to either ditch that card or be forced into a trade or deal with you, all the while the sand timer is going and at the end you've got a bunch of people pretending to spend a fuckton on making money on the anime tcg market so that you can win the tournaments and get more money.

It is definitely something that would feel very different, arguably to its detriment, if it were done virtually.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

just logged on and i see a LOT of people are tempting fate in here

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Draga posted:

Welp, it's June 2nd here in England and I am now 28 years old. Yay.

happy birthday!

I recently wormed my way into a friendship group that plays a lot of board games, except we only managed to meet up once to play before my city started another lockdown. It was fun though!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’ve been playing the Gloomhaven side story, Jaws of the Lion, with some friends through Tabletop Simulator and I’ve really been enjoying it. Unfortunately one of our players frequently comes up with excuses about why they can’t play a few hours before show time. He just seems unable to keep one evening of his week open or do the rest of us the courtesy of letting us know more than a day in advance.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Acerbatus posted:

There is 0 chance anyone registering in 2020 or 2021 is a new poster.

That's a little disingenuous.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

tbf I think acerbatus is joking about the fact that they themselves have a 2020 reg-date

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Perhaps reg date should be hidden...

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

New Super Metis posted:

tbf I think acerbatus is joking about the fact that they themselves have a 2020 reg-date

Ha! I'm on mobile so I only see reg dates if I click on someone's avatar. :)

Jay Rust posted:

Perhaps reg date should be hidden...

But then I wouldn't know who's important!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also my favorite board game is Castle Panic. I prefer co-op games, but some are just intimidating. Castle Panic is fun and simple, and the expansions add a good bit of complexity and keep the challenges fresh.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oddium posted:

they go in a third forum called experience bij

i played this game and boy did we ever experience bij

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I generally don't read usernames so most of the posts are just by "something awful posters" unless they say something really cool, reply to me, or say something really bad or dumb, in which case I check who said the thing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I just go by the general colour and shape of their av, same as most I imagine

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Weedle posted:

i played this game and boy did we ever experience bij

What's bij?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Walla posted:

What's bij?

bofa bij nuts

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Walla posted:

What's bij?

more important question: who is moving now. answer !!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Walla posted:

What's bij?

You can't be told what bij is, only through experience can you learn it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My favorite will be League of Legends "Spring Colors" event in countries where thats a crime

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What’s TR

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i deliberately registered on a leap day because i thought it'd be cool

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What’s TR

*wearily* Not much, what's TR with you?

Turkey

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

feeling a bit like playing a forever-game, like your MMOs - except not an action bar MMO, so that's ff14 out

downloading pso2 to take a look at tomorrow instead - wonder if it'll be anything like what kid me remembers from ye olde dreamcast

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

feeling a bit like playing a forever-game, like your MMOs - except not an action bar MMO, so that's ff14 out

downloading pso2 to take a look at tomorrow instead - wonder if it'll be anything like what kid me remembers from ye olde dreamcast

Not really tbh

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Gal Gryphon is still there tho.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

happy sonic june

https://twitter.com/ms_unsmiley/status/1399933363436363776

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

if thats what you want I would suggest, just playing blue burst

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My mate and I are <20 missions away from finishing EDF 5’s campaign and only displaying 7% completion. I dunno what exactly that means but if not “forever” I reckon I’ll be plugging away at this game for a long time to come.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Best video game movie adaptation has an extended cut

https://twitter.com/TygerbugGarrett/status/1399708153294458882

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You know, if you think about it, if the Iliad had never been written then Bayonetta wouldn't exist.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

From what I understand, this isn't actually real

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Looper posted:

i deliberately registered on a leap day because i thought it'd be cool

It just shows as March 1 for me because of timezones, people could have been missing out this whole time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ometeotl posted:

From what I understand, this isn't actually real

Yeah only the main account is using a Pride pfp

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Digital Foundry has a really good documentary on Quake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KxRXZhQuY8 I even learned a few things that I never knew before. I've always preferred the look of software rendering Quake, and this articulates why I prefer that version. QLQuake for different reasons actually looks the worst (gamma issues that were never fixed, removing a lot of atmosphere/shadows/lighting), but the performance is much better. But of course that has been a non-issue on computers for decades now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Walla posted:

What's bij?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqsL0EqASM