Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Two tv shows, both from back in the late 80s or early 90s...

1) it was entirely or almost entirely puppets in a medieval setting. Might've been based on Robin Hood, not sure.

2) this was an underwater puppet show, but it's NOT The Waterville Gang,but aired at the same time. It was darker than that (like actually physically darker from what I remember, but the subject matter was light, since it was a kids show), and I think a character was named "Coral".

Edit: ok, so I had no idea that The Waterville Gang was made in the 70s, so my other requests might have also been made then.

Edit 2: found the 2nd one, and it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EjfrLCiu1k

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

1) it was entirely or almost entirely puppets in a medieval setting. Might've been based on Robin Hood, not sure.

Eureeka's Castle?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Arnm616 posted:

Eureeka's Castle?

I just checked, and no, that's not it, but that does look great.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

feedmyleg posted:

Could it have been TV? There was lots of obscure TV fantasy for kids, and a frog man seems more fairy tale than fantasy. Fairy Tale Theatre had a frog prince episode so that might be it.

It could have been a TV thing. I'll poke around

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not immediately but was it like, early 20th century/1920s silent movie black and white? The star going through this well-rehearsed routine in one unbroken shot?

Kinda sounds like something Buster Keaton might have done but it was probably just the style of the time and I'm pulling the first name that comes to mind. There probably were a lot of people doing routines like that at the time. Plus Keaton would have gone out one window with the chair and back in another and I feel like you would have mentioned

yeah, its definitely Keaton-esque. but more of a late 40s / early 50s vibe, I'm almost positive it wasn't a silent film. I did some googling and no luck. I either saw it on like TCM or maybe in film studies

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah, its definitely Keaton-esque. but more of a late 40s / early 50s vibe, I'm almost positive it wasn't a silent film. I did some googling and no luck. I either saw it on like TCM or maybe in film studies

There are a lot of scenes like this, it’s so prevalent that Jackie Chan parodies the office savant sequence in Police Story, for example

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Two tv shows, both from back in the late 80s or early 90s...

There was a version of the Frog Prince done with the Muppets in the early 70s. I remember seeing it on tv in the late 80s and early 90s--maybe on Nickelodeon?

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/The_Frog_Prince

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Someone described this movie to me and I haven’t actually seen it but here we go:

A woman and a man meet and have a very short, passionate love affair for a few hours and then for some reason split up, never to see each other again. The woman writes a song about it which ends up being a huge hit and she becomes famous. The song is a super idealized version of the man and their relationship.

Years later the man shows up again, but she doesn’t recognize him. He tells her who he is and she refuses to see acknowledge it- because having the song is better than having the real thing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this is another one my father-in-law had on the tv (much like the aforementioned nevada smith) and I barely remember any of it

I think it's a movie to do with mexican drug cartels. 2000s-2010s.

the big climactic moment of the thing is (if memory serves) the DEA guy coming over the hill in a helicopter at the last moment while ELO's "do ya" plays on the soundtrack

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

hexwren posted:

this is another one my father-in-law had on the tv (much like the aforementioned nevada smith) and I barely remember any of it

the big climactic moment of the thing is (if memory serves) the DEA guy coming over the hill in a helicopter at the last moment while ELO's "do ya" plays on the soundtrack

The only thing IMDB lists Do Ya being on the soundtrack of is an episode of LAX, although I dunno how complete IMDB is.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

hexwren posted:

Appears to be Savages 2012 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615065/soundtrack?ref_=tt_ql_trv_7

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm at work so I can't look up clips on my phone, but I'm 99.9% sure this is it, thanks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

taco show posted:

Someone described this movie to me and I haven’t actually seen it but here we go:

A woman and a man meet and have a very short, passionate love affair for a few hours and then for some reason split up, never to see each other again. The woman writes a song about it which ends up being a huge hit and she becomes famous. The song is a super idealized version of the man and their relationship.

Years later the man shows up again, but she doesn’t recognize him. He tells her who he is and she refuses to see acknowledge it- because having the song is better than having the real thing.

I absolutely remember this movie existing. It was about 15 years ago I think.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There’s this short film I watched probably 15 years ago on Showcase. It’s a short heist movie where the protagonist is one of the other crooks’ dumb brother or friend or something. They’re robbing a bank and you see the other crooks being a dick to the protagonist and then everything goes wrong. Then it tracks backward and you see that actually he intentionally causes it all to go wrong, and he gets away, I think with the money.

I think it was black and white.

Any ideas?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s this short film I watched probably 15 years ago on Showcase. It’s a short heist movie where the protagonist is one of the other crooks’ dumb brother or friend or something. They’re robbing a bank and you see the other crooks being a dick to the protagonist and then everything goes wrong. Then it tracks backward and you see that actually he intentionally causes it all to go wrong, and he gets away, I think with the money.

I think it was black and white.

Any ideas?

That ALMOST sounds like "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead", but not quite.

poo poo, I need to rewatch it, plus the one you're talking about, if it's discovered.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to remember an amazing documentary I saw. The subject was a photographer, a schlubby overweight dude, and he would go to crazy lengths to capture one perfect photo. Like spend months location-scouting and hours shutting down streets and positioning models and whatnot. You start the film thinking it's insane to go to these length and then end it thinking he's a goddamn genius.

Edit: Nevermind, scrolling Google eventually came through. It's Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 29, 2021

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

PostNouveau posted:

I'm trying to remember an amazing documentary I saw. The subject was a photographer, a schlubby overweight dude, and he would go to crazy lengths to capture one perfect photo. Like spend months location-scouting and hours shutting down streets and positioning models and whatnot. You start the film thinking it's insane to go to these length and then end it thinking he's a goddamn genius.

Edit: Nevermind, scrolling Google eventually came through. It's Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters

I really enjoyed that one. I knew who he was and what he did before watching but I didn’t understand the scale of his work, true genius.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DRINK ME posted:

I really enjoyed that one. I knew who he was and what he did before watching but I didn’t understand the scale of his work, true genius.

Yeah, his work is astounding. Just googling I've found that he's allowed a lot of behind-the-scenes shorts since that doc too. It's awesome just to see any glimpse behind the curtain because his work has so much going on that it's a joy to hear him discuss it. One of the recent ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GARXqyRfFcY

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

An early 90s neo-noir that has a female crime boss choke out a cop with her legs while she's handcuffed in the back of a car and he's driving.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PeterCat posted:

An early 90s neo-noir that has a female crime boss choke out a cop with her legs while she's handcuffed in the back of a car and he's driving.

Romeo is Bleeding, I believe. Trashy.

https://youtu.be/utFeHmJ1iUw

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

therattle posted:

Nice, thanks!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

therattle posted:

That scene is amazing. I’m a huge fan of any film where a person can kick out a windshield, shattering it, with their bare feet. It’s almost 70s kung fu.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

From 10-15 years ago. An assassin is looking though the scope of his rifle, and while he's looking, the target is taken out by another sniper. The assassin may have taken a first shot and missed, and then saw this after reloading. The target is some politico or something, on a stage at some sort of outdoor rally.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Nose posted:

From 10-15 years ago. An assassin is looking though the scope of his rifle, and while he's looking, the target is taken out by another sniper. The assassin may have taken a first shot and missed, and then saw this after reloading. The target is some politico or something, on a stage at some sort of outdoor rally.

Shooter with Mark Wahlberg?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
If it's not Shooter, I recall Vantage Point had someone being shot at a political rally.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Pretty sure that also happens in Jack Reacher

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

morestuff posted:

Jack Reacher opens with a mass shooting by sniper rifle but I don't recall any political rallies, it's just people in the street.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I haven't seen it since I was a child but I feel like that was Assassins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins_(1995_film)

The synopsis makes it sound like that happens.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
That's a good shout, I've not seen it since the 90s but I'm pretty sure you're right.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

Shooter with Mark Wahlberg?

Pilchenstein posted:

If it's not Shooter, I recall Vantage Point had someone being shot at a political rally.

morestuff posted:

rodbeard posted:

I haven't seen it since I was a child but I feel like that was Assassins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins_(1995_film)

The synopsis makes it sound like that happens.

Thanks, good suggestions, but it's none of those, I know for sure I haven't seen any of them.

I figgered the scenario I described probably occurs in more than one movie...

EDIT: Urban environment with old buildings, European or old US city (so not Los Angeles, etc.)

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 2, 2021

Purple Gromit
Mar 28, 2010
Machete has a similar scene

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I think Most Wanted had a similar scene

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Purple Gromit posted:

Machete has a similar scene

Also the fake Machete Grindhouse trailer before it got made into a real movie. That was my first guess.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Hitman from 2007. Someone has kindly uploaded it to YouTube and the scene is about 13 mins in.

Edit: I might be thinking of the sequel, which is too recent. Hold on

Edit2: now I'm down my own rabbit hole. I was certain the plot of Hitman was it but now I've blended two movies together.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 2, 2021

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
I think there's a scene like that in Grosse Pointe Blank.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Ape Agitator posted:

Hitman from 2007. Someone has kindly uploaded it to YouTube and the scene is about 13 mins in.

Edit: I might be thinking of the sequel, which is too recent. Hold on

Edit2: now I'm down my own rabbit hole. I was certain the plot of Hitman was it but now I've blended two movies together.

If it's any consolation I went down the same rabbit hole last night, certain that the assassination from the start of 2007's Hitman was it

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

zombieman posted:

I think there's a scene like that in Grosse Pointe Blank.
It's different enough that it's probably not it, assuming you mean the bit where Cusack snipes the cyclist outside the hotel and then Aykroyd empties two handguns into the cyclist's target.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I'm trying to remember a movie from the late 80s, early 90s. All I remember is a scene where there is a Japanese dude on a train fighting ninjas. There is a part where some ninjas throw throwing stars at the guy and he knocks them out of the air. After the action is done, feds come in to investigate. While they're all still on the train, a fed says to the Japanese guy that they need his sword as evidence. The Japanese guy doesn't want to, but then he's like fine. He drives the sword into the floor of the train, and then breaks it in half. The only other scene I remember is this guy going to a sword maker and being like I need a new sword to kill the main villain with. That's all I got.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Re: assassin film-

Still not there yet. I've seen Grosse Point Blank and the Machete stuff, it's not them. And I've never seen Most Wanted or the Hitman films.

Arrgh. I know once someone puts out the correct title, I'll recognize it instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

The only other scene I remember is this guy going to a sword maker and being like I need a new sword to kill the main villain with. That's all I got.

That reminds me of Kill Bill, but it's a woman requesting the sword.