Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just realized that my Way of Kings copy is misprinted and is unfortunately missing the ending. I got it off amazon so getting it replaced would involve shipping and waiting which is really annoying since I'm absolutely loving the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

DarkHorse posted:

Why not just use the spren as the projectile - infinite ammo and mega lethality in one!

And do the spren need to be physically touched to change shape? Because SWORD GUN

See I assumed that there would be a lag on how fast you could aim and shoot the living spren and summon it back to you, but now that you're making me think about it I guess that would just affect reload time

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Elantris is bad. But I’m glad I went on the journey. I think.

I like Elantris but reflecting back on it, it feels like the character work is totally on point and everyone is interesting to some degree or another, but almost all of the situations they get put in are unconvincing or unsatisfying

The world is really interesting though and I really want more from it. I’m going through The Emperor’s Soul at the moment and it makes me want a sequel even more

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

tweet my meat posted:

Just realized that my Way of Kings copy is misprinted and is unfortunately missing the ending. I got it off amazon so getting it replaced would involve shipping and waiting which is really annoying since I'm absolutely loving the book.

Contact Brandon on Reddit or Twitter, I've seen several instances of him and his team responding to posts about misprinted books. Who knows, they might send you an autographed replacement.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
His username is reddit.com/u/mistborn

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

/u/PeterAhlstrom is the person you should probably hit up, that's his main assistant

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've cooked up a pretty enticing alternate solution: smoke a little weed, finish the book on audible, and put it back on the shelf for future me to possibly deal with.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I think SprenGuns could be interesting, but I am thinking in terms of Mistborn and having aluminum bullets that will cut through any sort of alomantic or invested nonsense.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I was doing a relisten of Rhythm of War with someone and noticed something I missed before near the end Teft got soulcast into a statue at the end of the book, Kaladin then mentioned they found tons of Radiants cast into statues in the basement, I wonder if Vasher has been slowly making a new statue army down there.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Brandon's weekly update video is up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6uKqA8VfX0

He answers the question "why is Kelsier in Fortnite". Basically it's "my friend at Fortnite asked if he could put Kelsier in".

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

socialsecurity posted:

So I was doing a relisten of Rhythm of War with someone and noticed something I missed before near the end Teft got soulcast into a statue at the end of the book, Kaladin then mentioned they found tons of Radiants cast into statues in the basement, I wonder if Vasher has been slowly making a new statue army down there.

Oh poo poo! I hadn't considered that

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

DarkHorse posted:

Oh poo poo! I hadn't considered that

I freaking love this theory.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea that's actually really interesting. I've been meaning to re-read Warbreaker, guess I'll hit that up next once I finish my first RoW re-read. Which is going mega slowly and I'm skimming hard.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
In the future Scadriel vs. Roshar plotlines, there is almost assuredly going to be some point where one or several sides in the conflict mistakenly riles Vasher and regrets it intensely. He's not as much of a meddler as Hoid, but I think he's just as formidable given his many talents and his penchant for taking the long view.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Vasher needs to figure out what he wants first. He’s almost as depressed as kaladin and has nothing to fight for lol.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was planning to take a break between stormlight book 1 and 2 to do the whole cosmere reading order thing, but I think I'm just gonna plow straight through stormlight instead and work from there, because book 1 was absolutely incredible and I wanna just get caught up asap.

This book was super hyped up, and I really think that it lived up to the hype. Every time a Kaladin chapter ended I would be a little bummed that I had to switch over to Shallan's pov, but by the end of her chapter I'd be bummed that I had to switch to Dalinar, and so on. Every pov character had a compelling and interesting story and I loved basically every character in the book. The use of little extras like the death quotes at the beginning of the chapters (and what a loving payoff those had holy poo poo) the sketches, and the intermission side chapters was something I especially enjoyed, makes the world feel even more fleshed out and immersive.

It was a shame that my book was misprinted, but I was only missing a small chunk of the actual story which was easy to finish on audible (learned to properly pronounce a couple of character names too which was good) and I've already checked through the other books for more printing errors and I think I'm good all the way through. I think I will see about getting it replaced pretty soon here though, if only so I can dig through the Ars Arcanum.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also holy poo poo, words of radiance really comes out swinging from the first sentence huh?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I'd be surprised if Vasher could take someone like Kelsier in a fight, much less Hoid. Hoid not only has access to a ton of powers (including Breaths) but he's been playing a much longer game than Vasher and Hoid knows who Vasher is and what he's capable of while the reverse is very unlikely.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tweet my meat posted:

The use of little extras like the death quotes at the beginning of the chapters (and what a loving payoff those had holy poo poo) the sketches, and the intermission side chapters was something I especially enjoyed, makes the world feel even more fleshed out and immersive.

The little epigraphs before each chapter are all so good. There is so much to read and as we all learn more about the Cosmere as a whole they get all the more interesting.

And yea I love all the little sketches and Interludes that just really flesh out the world.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd be surprised if Vasher could take someone like Kelsier in a fight, much less Hoid. Hoid not only has access to a ton of powers (including Breaths) but he's been playing a much longer game than Vasher and Hoid knows who Vasher is and what he's capable of while the reverse is very unlikely.

Vasher himself? No. Vasher plus whatever other mad scientist poo poo he's got lying around that he never told anyone about/killed everyone who knew? Anyone's guess.

I dunno if he's got another invested army or Nightblood lying around, but no one else does either (statue theory is cool though). Better to just stay off his lawn.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Vasher v. Kelsier is Vasher all the way, Kelsier is in a lower tier of super powerful people though he is respectable in his own right.

Anyone v. Hoid is probably even odds at best.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't see how any other magic system can just deal with Coinshots.

If someone gets the jump on Kelsier, sure I guess yea maybe. But if it's like "a proper duel"...?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hoid is incapable of physically harming people, but is very hard to kill. In a battle to the death he'd only win by not dying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tunicate posted:

Hoid is incapable of physically harming people, but is very hard to kill. In a battle to the death he'd only win by not dying.

The key part there is incapable of physically harming people. :eng101:

Captain Monkey posted:

Vasher v. Kelsier is Vasher all the way, Kelsier is in a lower tier of super powerful people though he is respectable in his own right.

So is Vasher. Sure if he built up a ton of investitutre he'd probably be ok if he could outlast Kelsier's metals but mistborns can do things like directly affect your mind and if they're burning atium or something weaker like electrum they are going to have a considerable if not insurmountable edge when fighting most people, including Vasher.

Someone with a ton of Breath is going to be extremely dangerous, perhaps more than most mistborn or radiants except for (ROW late/ending spoilers) Bondsmiths, because their power of Connection is the single most powerful ability we've seen so far (if for no other reason than they could use it to take other forms of Investiture from people). That power is like running a Cosmere Cheat Engine and I'd still put the Lord Ruler above them all (except for the spoiler if they could get the jump on him), and the LR would still be far below Hoid's level.

Sab669 posted:

If someone gets the jump on Kelsier, sure I guess yea maybe. But if it's like "a proper duel"...?

I'm sure Shardplate's fine for defense against a regular coinshot. Now a coinshot who burns some duraluminum, unless only Mistborn can do that? That's got the potential for far greater force than the weapons we've seen used (effectively) against shardplate in Stormlight so far.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Incapable of physically harming living people. Hoid's already beat up Kelsier once, and threatened to do so again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I think any evaluation of a mistborn's strength must always include whether they have atium or not. Because very, very few beings can stand up to an atium burning mistborn.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Vasher is more useful on a wide scale battlefield anyway instead of 1 on 1, his ability to create armies and golems and the such is unmatched.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

socialsecurity posted:

Vasher is more useful on a wide scale battlefield anyway instead of 1 on 1, his ability to create armies and golems and the such is unmatched.

I just received a notification saying Sanderson is going Live on Youtube in 15 minutes.

This is the link

Video Description posted:

I'll be doing a spoiler-filled livestream Thursday night at 6:00 MDT. I will be taking questions from every series so if you're not up to date, and don't want to be spoiled, I would steer clear.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Sab669 posted:

I'd like to seen Vasher with scarves of carrying colors with the command "catch things and throw them back" or something stupid. It'd be like a point defense system.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
That's one of the tough ones when it comes to cross system fighting, you have to think about things like how Susebron uses his Breaths in Warbringer. that is going to be a BRUTE fight and you have to realize that his abilities are something Vasher could comfortably do back in the day. No vocal command control over any localized objects is a BRUTALLY powerful ability and Vasher might be able to drain Stormlight to power it. That is not an easy fight for anyone, even ignoring that he is essentially immortal; I think Kelsier loses flat out every time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Vasher is very much a homefield advantage type of fighter. Classic wizard almost. Powerful in the field on demand, dangerously overpowered if allowed to setup a prepared field, eg some sort of wizard tower or dungeon.

Awakening is a good ability, but it shines brightest for cultivated defense.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Problem is that Vasher can't use Stormlight to power Awakening, per recent WoB. He's figured out how to stay alive as a Returned though using Stormlight instead of Breaths, and that's it.

As for scarves intercepting coinshot projectiles, I don't think Awakening gives material more strength or whatever, and so I doubt that that would be a viable point defense system. The projectiles would just go through the scarves, probably without slowing down much.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Just finished RoW. Hated the Venli chapters like everyone else. The listener, regal, Fused, whatever is just too much for me to follow. Raboniel was the only one who interested me. I still don't really understand was a Fused is, though it was probably explained somewhere. I don't know what a Returned is either. I liked the book, but it was about 50% bloat.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

BananaNutkins posted:

Just finished RoW. Hated the Venli chapters like everyone else. The listener, regal, Fused, whatever is just too much for me to follow. Raboniel was the only one who interested me. I still don't really understand was a Fused is, though it was probably explained somewhere. I don't know what a Returned is either. I liked the book, but it was about 50% bloat.

Most of the Navani and Venli stuff could've been easily condensed and given more time for Adolin just to name one.

e: Kaladin and Shallan too. Actually most of the book felt like the same stuff over and over.

The beginning was great though

Barreft fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 5, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BananaNutkins posted:

They are really old listeners, the original inhabitants when humans came to Roshar. They where changed by Odium to become the fused which means they're now spirits or like spren in a way that can posess living singers, so they keep coming back from death to fight the same war..

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

Problem is that Vasher can't use Stormlight to power Awakening, per recent WoB. He's figured out how to stay alive as a Returned though using Stormlight instead of Breaths, and that's it.

Related, someone on Reddit came up with an interesting theory:

Vasher as a Retured is at minimum up to the Fifth Heightening, meaning he has life sense, perfect color recognition, and perfect pitch. So does that mean he has access to the Pure Tones of Roshar? At first I assumed his attraction to Roshar was only easy access to plentiful Investiture but there might be another aspect to it in that it's a system that uses sound

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Finally getting into the way of kings and they keep dropping names and concepts that are making me glad I’ve now read basically all the other cosmere stuff outside of warbreaker before getting into it. It’s adding a lot of intrigue to an already really awesome book.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Reaverbot posted:

Finally getting into the way of kings and they keep dropping names and concepts that are making me glad I’ve now read basically all the other cosmere stuff outside of warbreaker before getting into it. It’s adding a lot of intrigue to an already really awesome book.

If you enjoy this stuff (like me) then you're going to want to read Warbreaker before the second book if you don't already know that

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Reaverbot posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm coming from, too. The books are very good even without knowing the Cosmere background, but get even better if you do know you it. Like you can appreciate a beautiful painting, but a painter can appreciate it on a deeper level, from how the brush strokes were executed, to how the framing was chosen and the perspective distorted, etc. It gets better with deeper understanding.

I strongly recommend reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, this is where I'm coming from, too. The books are very good even without knowing the Cosmere background, but get even better if you do know you it. Like you can appreciate a beautiful painting, but a painter can appreciate it on a deeper level, from how the brush strokes were executed, to how the framing was chosen and the perspective distorted, etc. It gets better with deeper understanding.

snip

I'd spoiler what I've snipped because the exact details can be a delightful surprise if they don't know