Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
well that’s cause the author is a silly anarchist but those relations are still mediated by classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i forgot how hilariously awful all the licensed man-kzin wars stuff looked

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i haven’t read that book yet, but everything i’ve read about it is that it’s both a very interesting pop synthesis of a lot of recent research which has further undermined the traditional “progress” gloss on the creation of complex states, and also that it reaches a lot in order to paint an idyllic view of non-state societies and their food sources

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rjmccall posted:

i haven’t read that book yet, but everything i’ve read about it is that it’s both a very interesting pop synthesis of a lot of recent research which has further undermined the traditional “progress” gloss on the creation of complex states, and also that it reaches a lot in order to paint an idyllic view of non-state societies and their food sources

i mean there's no real artifacts so it's all implication and guesswork. It makes a strong circumstantial case for the idea that early states were far worse places than nonstate societies, however bad those may have been.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

indigi posted:

but those relations are still mediated by classes

what relations

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

baen books all have a very distinctive (and terrible) trade dress

they also have a very distinctive (and terrible) editorial line

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rotor, other than being deeply bummed out by it, what do you think of Against The Grain?

once i get done with my current reading (great gatsby, the prince, a bunch of terrible witcher novels) i am thinking of giving Seeing Like A State by the same author a spin

if you are still interested in reading another history book that kind of knocked me on my rear end i recommend After Tamerlane by john darwin

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

rotor, other than being deeply bummed out by it, what do you think of Against The Grain?

once i get done with my current reading (great gatsby, the prince, a bunch of terrible witcher novels) i am thinking of giving Seeing Like A State by the same author a spin

if you are still interested in reading another history book that kind of knocked me on my rear end i recommend After Tamerlane by john darwin

i'm halfway though and i'm not sure Im gonna make it. It's well written its just i dont really like the conclusions. I typically love this sort of thing but ever since the "after the success of domesticating animals, we tried it on humans and that was even more successful" its just been a real downer.

I'll check out After Tamerlane, sounds interesting

edit: the writing is good, the scholarship seems fine. He makes a clear point of what is just guesswork, what has supporting evidence and what is widely accepted fact, and how long its been accepted for. I would recommend it, but be prepared to think of yourself as livestock for a while.

rotor fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 2, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rjmccall posted:

man BAEN have gotten a lot deeper since I last looked

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
finished out the planet of the apes reboots tonight with War. Ape, i tell ya, that's a drat good movie.

tbh i think Dawn was my favorite of the three.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lots of posters quote previous posts for context, and they’re all cowards

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Jonny 290 posted:

finished out the planet of the apes reboots tonight with War. Ape, i tell ya, that's a drat good movie.

tbh i think Dawn was my favorite of the three.

yeah theyre real solid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i too was surprised by that response

rjmccall posted:

lots of posters quote previous posts for context, and they’re all cowards

it's much funnier this way

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ashida10721/status/1400013855560929280

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

rotor posted:

what relations

economic and power relations between people within states and people “without” them. capitalist and proletariat aren’t the only two classes and in fact neither existed until the last two and a half centuries!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

for some reason, this reminds me of the cheetahmen series of games

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah theyre real solid
My major complaint about them is that we don't get to see James Franco die horribly

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

planet of the apes ranking:

original
escape
rise

-- great movies end here --

conquest
dawn
war

-- good movies end here --

tim burton
beneath
battle

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I saw tim burton planet of the apes in theater and the only good part was marky mark looking at the monkey lincoln

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that asinine ending was actually the ending of the original book. the author readily agreed that the movie's ending was much better, though

i will admit that the ape makeup in the tim burton one is really good

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
timb why did you cut the marky mark ape sex scene

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://youtu.be/8xdUEknQSMM

I did not realize this was a video game movie until after I saw the trailer

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the bo burnham special on netflix is good. the "white woman on instagram" song is loving hilarious

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the bo burnham special on netflix is good. the "white woman on instagram" song is loving hilarious
its brutal

to put it in a little context the final screen is a number for the suicide hotline

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

its brutal

to put it in a little context the final screen is a number for the suicide hotline

it's funny as hell

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

its brutal

good that someone puts that in when it's a topic. lots of shows have started to slack on providing information if they have a character contemplate suicide as part of a story

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what if John wick but women

https://youtu.be/YLMT5uXjFLY

looks fun

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Fool posted:

what if John wick but women

https://youtu.be/YLMT5uXjFLY

looks fun

always nice when they just give you the entire plot up front like that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tbf the plot is pretty inconsequential for a movie like this

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
gunpowder
milkshake

amazingly bad name

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bump_fn posted:

gunpowder
milkshake

amazingly bad name
like a proposed sequel to lolipop chainsaw

mystes
May 31, 2006

bump_fn posted:

gunpowder
milkshake

amazingly bad name
Jane Wick II: Gunpowder Milkshake Duck

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

lol looks like he's strumming on a banjo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/athertonkd/status/1399897314253283328?s=21

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

that is some of the lamest star wars poo poo I've ever seen in my life, and I know somebody who has a stick figure family decal on their car's rear window where they're all star wars people

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

looks like they understand it perfectly fine

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
During the beginning of the pandemic I realized I had never read any Discworld. I feel like some wires got crossed in my brain and it got filed away with the likes of Piers Anthony for some reason.

Anyway, I set myself to reading them and correcting this mistake, because it turns out they are extremely "my jam".

Just burned through Reaper Man tonight. Hopefully starting on Witches Abroad in the next week or so. Man, I was dumb in my 20s.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/iD4RO/status/1199081450831851520?s=20

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

MrQueasy posted:

During the beginning of the pandemic I realized I had never read any Discworld. I feel like some wires got crossed in my brain and it got filed away with the likes of Piers Anthony for some reason.

Anyway, I set myself to reading them and correcting this mistake, because it turns out they are extremely "my jam".

Just burned through Reaper Man tonight. Hopefully starting on Witches Abroad in the next week or so. Man, I was dumb in my 20s.

they’re basically all excellent, and perfect books to read in between bigger more challenging ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

same, but i confused it with ringworld lol

monstrous regiment is the tipping point from great to ‘beloved series revival’ where the world and characters you love are still there but it isn’t at the level it used to be

still worth reading but not great