Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

This new Bo Burnham special is fuckin incredible

Just came here to post this, wasn’t a fan of his old stuff but this was amazing. Hit a bit too close to home seeing the lockdown related depression stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
me, watching the Mare of Easttown finale: “well what could be more American than bringing a dozen armed cops to arrest one thirteen year old?
:nallears:

my wife: “they might shoot him instead...
:shrug:

me: :stonklol:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A fun thing about musical episodes is when you learn who on the cast can actually sing and who can't and how the show deals with it. Like on The Magicians where Jason Ralph and Olivia Taylor Dudley got mostly relegated to chorus or Lauren German on Lucifer who is the only main character who doesn't get a spotlight song.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

Ha, that show is one of the things that made me certain that I had the made the correct life choices.

It didn't really stand out to me at the time (aside from things like That Episode) but looking back... oof.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Paramount Plus is disappointing. A lot of the old TV shows I want to watch are either missing huge portions of their library (True Life) or just not there (Upright Citizens Brigade). Plus the app is glitchy as hell. I can't see anyone who has Netflix or Hulu keeping it for longer than a month.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I didn't not like tonight's premiere of Housebroken, but it made me wonder just how far they can take the premise before it gets old.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I keep seeing web ads for Netflix using GLOW, and that’s such a heel move and I do not appreciate it.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Watching Nirvanna the band the show again. just remarkable.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CPFortest posted:

I remember the Trueanon podcast covering the veiled prophet society more than a year ago which is where I found out about Kemper participating in it.

In addition to being a racist and segregationist event, the Veiled Prophet Ball is a high society event for old money in Missouri and her great-great grandfather was a huge railroad and banking magnate so it's not particularly mysterious how it happened.

It was started off by some rich confederates, in the 70s got a ton of poo poo for being nothing but white businessmen, and they started added wealthy black people. Apparently the women who won in 1997 was black.

It's absolutely a hosed up weird tradition rooted in old money keeping the poors out of their big festivals, but they kind of passed up on the hardcore racism decades ago and are cool with anyone rich regardless of skin color.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just realized that "Inside" basically picks up where the last minute of Bo Burnham's last special "Make Happy" ends.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah you guys were right about Lodge 49. Never felt more like I was in capable narrative hands. It's so confident, taking its time to really plumb its characters.

And Southern California never felt like more of a character than here. Other than...Terriers maybe?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Creamerie ended this week.

loving excellent black comedy about a trio of New Zealand women dealing with a Y The Last Man type situation. Really excellent writing and casting, and with a plot that frequently surprised me -- on one level it's a satire of the kind of very exclusionary, very lovely thinking that characterised the worst of White Feminism, while on another level it's a small town comedy drama, and on another level it's, well... I don't really want to spoil it.

The way the show builds its science-fiction setting out of a few little hints (no one seems to have money, everyone uses landlines, the subtle implications about who the society considers underisable and how it treats them) is really quite impressive. And it's surprisingly tense: the trailer spoils more than it should, and I'm glad I didn't see it before watching the show, but this show goes to some dark places.

The final scene is a touch ludicrous, and the show is obviously banking on being renewed in order to tell its complete story. But it's very good: funny and nuanced, with some very impressive performances -- particularly from Tandi Wright, Rachel House (holy poo poo she should be way more famous than she is) and Perlina Lau.

If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. Still my vote for the best new show of the year.

If you want to watch it, it's streaming in some places. But it's the kind of show that's probably on Dailymotion, or smth. I dunno.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stop making me watch more shows Idiom you dickhead!!!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That's right Idiom stop bringing to my awareness shows I would never heard of otherwise and enjoy immensely, who do you think you are?! :argh:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Exactly!!!!!

Sepinwall also just recommended a British show called We Are Lady Parts about an all-female Muslim punk band which sounds awesome so I’m getting that too. I think it’s hitting Peacock this week.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1399778678637318144

Well, that's the proposed name.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dubya Beedee

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How did Discovery come to be the one trying to swaller Warner Bros? Did they just stacked rich from garbage shows when they stopped doing Discovery shows, to the poin they just gotta chomp something else up or is WB just hollowed out by now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disco Bros.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Khanstant posted:

How did Discovery come to be the one trying to swaller Warner Bros? Did they just stacked rich from garbage shows when they stopped doing Discovery shows, to the poin they just gotta chomp something else up or is WB just hollowed out by now?

They didn't. This is a formation of a new company with 71% ownership by AT&T and 29% ownership by the former shareholders of Discovery.

So, Discovery is ceasing to be and AT&T is selling off Warnermedia to this new company that they have 71% ownership in. The whole thing is being financed by the new company borrowing $52 billion, paying AT&T $43 billion and the former discovery shareholders $9 billion.

Essentially, it's a paper moving scheme so AT&T can get an immediate payout on Warnermedia assets rather than trying to run them successfully.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Khanstant posted:

It's more that it's money ghouls doing voodoo money poo poo to make more money somehow by doing it this way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

They didn't. This is a formation of a new company with 71% ownership by AT&T and 29% ownership by the former shareholders of Discovery.

So, Discovery is ceasing to be and AT&T is selling off Warnermedia to this new company that they have 71% ownership in. The whole thing is being financed by the new company borrowing $52 billion, paying AT&T $43 billion and the former discovery shareholders $9 billion.

Essentially, it's a paper moving scheme so AT&T can get an immediate payout on Warnermedia assets rather than trying to run them successfully.
The new company is going to have $52b of debt??

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

loving excellent black comedy about a trio of New Zealand women dealing with a Y The Last Man type situation.

This show rules btw. Co-signing this recommendation

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Then it will mysteriously fail and at&t will buy the assets for a wooden nickel

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

Sure why not? If it doesn't work out you just do it again! Sustainable economic system we have isn't it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jeez what a mess. Look, why don't all media companies sell themselves to Disney already and be done withit. Then Nestle or whoever can buy Disney and we can just have one Big Company Company and stop toing the line with corporate dystopia and just plunge in. I'd rather be neck deep in a hot magma pool than on the shore getting my ankles all charred up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Josh Lyman posted:

Sorry, I was wrong. It's $55 billion.

https://www.thewrap.com/discovery-warnermedia-merged-name-company/

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery will initially have $55 billion in debt, Zaslav said in a press conference with AT&T CEO John Stankey following the May 17 announcement. He said the company would also have $8 billion in free cash flow that would allow it to quickly pay down that debt while also leaving room for expansion and strategic investment

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Year 2 guy at discobro can always say "hey we didn't lose as much money as last year"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Finished the season. FUUUUUUCK that was great. Agreed that the very last twist was a little silly but still decently satisfying.

I guess that’s why it has that title eh

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah holy poo poo thanks Idiom, I've only watched like two episodes so far but this is, wow. Dark and really amazing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

Hmmmmm. Am I in the demographic as a 40 year old dude? Hard to tell from the YouTube trailer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you hate Goop? If so there’s a good chance you’ll like it. It gets more dramatic and mysterious as the season goes on, but I don’t know how much of that is in the trailer cos I didn’t watch it

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wow, this looks crazy. It's on the list!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Been binging through Mr Inbetween. S1 was alright but S2 is a big step up imo.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

Paramount Plus is disappointing. A lot of the old TV shows I want to watch are either missing huge portions of their library (True Life) or just not there (Upright Citizens Brigade). Plus the app is glitchy as hell. I can't see anyone who has Netflix or Hulu keeping it for longer than a month.

Hi. My boy likes Nickelodeon, and I took advantage of the half off subscription at launch. I have no idea how the digital embargoes work because the first season of Blues Clues: the Next Generation is missing even though they've started season 2. I will admit Hulu's in my cross hairs because I'm just not watching it.

All aboard the :effort: train!
https://twitter.com/xpangler/status/1399778833449066503

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally been watching For All Mankind season 2, and yep, this is easily my favourite show of the year so far. Fantastic stuff, and I’m not even at the last two episodes everyone’s been freaking out over. I can’t think of another ongoing drama where episodes frequently run over an hour yet earn every minute. Like, ever.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the acting is good as hell dude

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think there are some missteps along the way, but it's an incredibly strong show otherwise. I am really, really looking forward to seeing what the hell they do next season.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

im hoping for space tanks and or rocket launchers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eight episodes down, gonna watch the final two after work tomorrow. I can’t loving wait, holy poo poo aaaaaaa

One small thing I wasn’t into in 208 was the Bill storyline. Dude spends so long being an antagonising piece of poo poo, actively insulting a WOC who is just trying to talk to him, and then when she loses her temper (completely valid in the moment) and calls him Peanut she has to go and apologise, I wasn’t super happy about this development but fair enough I guess, but why do we THEN get this long story of why Bill pissing himself is actually really tragic and traumatic??? I don’t loving care! It doesn’t excuse him being a piece of poo poo before, and I don’t get why the show wanted me to have all this unearned sympathy for him. I’m glad they’re friends now or whatever but he never even apologised for being such a garbage motherfucker before.

lmao I guess my trigger for TV is stuff I consider unfair. The Karen storyline has also taken a bad turn but it’s not horrible or anything