Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

edit; Oh, and I kinda hate MCU fans that don't read comics. When Infinity War came out and my co-worker cried cuz Spider-man and the Guardians of the Galaxy turned to sand and asked "HOW COULD THEY COME BACK?! THEY'RE GONE!", I had to ask "Why haven't you ready Infinity Gauntlet? It's like an hour of reading? Don't you know superheroes die in comics all the time? Don't you know they have Guardians of the Galaxy sequels and Spider-man movies with release dates already?" I just don't get how people can define their identity around Marvel movies but have zero curiosity or interest outside of those movies when there's almost a century of material to read and enjoy.
Eh, I don't really mind that. Even though they are the source material, the comic stories are way different than the movies. Also, harder to acces (if you want to get the single issues, not so if you're buying or reading the tpbs or collections out of libraries, bookshops, etc), more expensive and way less bang for your buck, and most of the times, you need background info. It's a lot to ask for someone.

If you like MCU movies, there's a non-zero chance you won't like the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just realized Hulk could have brought back both Vision and Black Widow before they sent the Infinity stones back and they just didn't bother to try.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CPL593H posted:

Except for the whole part about being surrounded by violent assholes who might murder you at any second or bury you alive in a cornfield.

Such is life.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQKS4_Y7QCI
Has anyone posted this already?

I refuse to check,

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Except for the whole part about being surrounded by violent assholes who might murder you at any second or bury you alive in a cornfield.

Crazy how well this description fits Tony Stark.

Vincent posted:

If you like MCU movies, there's a non-zero chance you won't like the comics.

lol if you think MCU fans would read comics rather than watch the same marvel movie/tv show again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, I think there's probably kids who've gotten into comics because of the movies, but no one over the age of 20 has gotten into comics because of the movies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

Crazy how well this description fits Tony Stark.

He probably would kill you before chucking you in the corn field

Or just leave

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Skwirl posted:

I just realized Hulk could have brought back both Vision and Black Widow before they sent the Infinity stones back and they just didn't bother to try.

Smart Hulk says he tried to being Natasha back but it didn't work.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Do regular people even care about Scorsese's remarks on Marvel movies or is it just a relatively small group of terminally online nerds who won't stop screaming about it on twitter and reddit? I find it very hard to believe it's anything besides the latter. Kind of like how people bitch and moan when their nerd movies have :females: in them.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Regular people probably don't even know who Scorsese is and they also don't care that much about the MCU beyond possibly watching it because its popular. I'd imagine most people are indifferent to comic book stuff.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CPL593H posted:

Do regular people even care about Scorsese's remarks on Marvel movies or is it just a relatively small group of terminally online nerds who won't stop screaming about it on twitter and reddit? I find it very hard to believe it's anything besides the latter. Kind of like how people bitch and moan when their nerd movies have :females: in them.

Nobody gives a poo poo about anything the internet does

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Absolutely. Criminals are the definition of cool, what the gently caress else does cool mean? The thing is that these criticisms are all about how movies should be morality plays, and coming entirely from offended Marvel fans. Unlike being a loving mobster, being a PMC in a mascot uniform isn’t cool at all, and it’s at least as evil

There's a good line in the book Wiseguy from Paul Cicero: "A steak tastes twice as good on a stolen credit card."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Smart Hulk says he tried to being Natasha back but it didn't work.

He tried with his first snap that brought everyone else back. No one tried to use the gauntlet again after Tony's snap that got rid of Thanos' army. I figured it didn't work the first time because it only gives you one wish at a time. Might try just wishing for Natasha back without also the other poo poo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

edit; Oh, and I kinda hate MCU fans that don't read comics. When Infinity War came out and my co-worker cried cuz Spider-man and the Guardians of the Galaxy turned to sand and asked "HOW COULD THEY COME BACK?! THEY'RE GONE!", I had to ask "Why haven't you ready Infinity Gauntlet? It's like an hour of reading? Don't you know superheroes die in comics all the time? Don't you know they have Guardians of the Galaxy sequels and Spider-man movies with release dates already?" I just don't get how people can define their identity around Marvel movies but have zero curiosity or interest outside of those movies when there's almost a century of material to read and enjoy.

Yea even beyond not reading comics having some magical disaster happen at the climax of part 1 of a 2 parter in a blockbuster maxi-series where a decade of follow up movies have been announced and thinking “noooo they’re gone forever!” shows a fascinating lack of media awareness. This is straight up like stories about people jumping out of the way at the first film where a train comes toward the camera.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

On no, this multibillion dollar franchise definitely killed off all the most popular characters even though I know every single one of them have sequels in production right now!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Scorsese is cool. Being a gangster is prob cool. The thing is (which often gets overlooked in these movies/shows) is that most of the time you're well into your 40s before you even get to be a mob guy. So living it up for 10+ or so years seems pretty appealing over just having a lovely day job your whole life even if it means taking one to the back of the head when youre old. Even then a a lot of people see these former OC guys who just end up cooperating and going off to write books and become youtube famous or whatever. (Pistone (a cop but still never retaliated against), Hill, Franzese, Gravano, ect) So I can see how a certain amount of people who see the consequences and just say gently caress it.

MCU sucks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

making GBS threads on Marty is just performative at this point. It's like tryhards who want to be edgy about Citizen Kane.

Still wish more people knew about The Age of Innocence... might be his most beautiful-looking film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skwirl posted:

He tried with his first snap that brought everyone else back. No one tried to use the gauntlet again after Tony's snap that got rid of Thanos' army. I figured it didn't work the first time because it only gives you one wish at a time. Might try just wishing for Natasha back without also the other poo poo.

The first snap fried the Hulk's arm. The second killed Tony. The Gauntlet even crippled Thanos. Its not exactly a tool you can just troubleshoot with multiple tries. Like who draws that "probably die on the theory that maybe you had to wish Nat back on her own" card? Even if they did think it was the case (and I don't think we're really ever given any kind of "one wish at a time" indication) it seems like a thing they decide isn't worth the risk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The first snap fried the Hulk's arm. The second killed Tony. The Gauntlet even crippled Thanos. Its not exactly a tool you can just troubleshoot with multiple tries. Like who draws that "probably die on the theory that maybe you had to wish Nat back on her own" card? Even if they did think it was the case (and I don't think we're really ever given any kind of "one wish at a time" indication) it seems like a thing they decide isn't worth the risk.

Hulk. Yeah, it fried his arm, but he could try again later after he healed. Thanos' arm only got fried by wishing to destroy the infinity gems. He was fine in the immediate aftermath of killing half the population of all worlds, which indicates the feedback or whatever you wanna call it is relative to the individual wish.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

making GBS threads on Marty is just performative at this point. It's like tryhards who want to be edgy about Citizen Kane.

Still wish more people knew about The Age of Innocence... might be his most beautiful-looking film.

Twitter scolds are performative?! :wth:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I just found one of the best movie synopses I've ever seen

Having abandoned modern civilization, Ryoichi lives an isolated, self-sufficient life on a snow-covered mountain and sends mail bombs to the CEOs of corporations and TV networks. One day, he encounters a mysterious creature in the forest. That night, his older brother, who had committed suicide, appears before him at his cabin. The apparition takes Ryoichi beyond a door, where Ryoichi learns the truth about his family.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Marvel is cool. Being an Avenger is prob cool. The thing is (which often gets overlooked in these movies/shows) is that most of the time you're well into your 40s before you even get to leave the franchise. So living it up for 10+ or so years seems pretty appealing over just having a lovely day job your whole life even if it means taking an Infinity Gauntlet to the back of the head when youre old. Even then a a lot of people see these former Avengers guys who just end up cooperating and going off to write books and become Disney famous or whatever. (Nick Fury (a cop but still never retaliated against), Captain America, Drax, Black Panther, ect) So I can see how a certain amount of people who see the consequences and just say gently caress it.

Scorsese sucks

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Franchescanado posted:

The Hustler is on Criterion Channel, so I'll check that out sometime, and I've never known The Color of Money to be on a streaming service.

Disney+ has The Colour of Money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Disney+ has The Colour of Money.

Really? Also that's not the title of the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll never read Marvel comics. There’s too much of them and I don’t give a poo poo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I’ll never read Marvel comics. There’s too much of them and I don’t give a poo poo

You know you don't have to read all of them, right?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
If you have to curtail your storytelling to make sure the dumbest of your audience doesn’t misinterpret what you’re saying, nothing good would ever get made. It’s why Poe’s Law is bullshit.

Just in general, I don’t listen to Twitter anymore, everyone still on Twitter at this point is deeply up Twitter’s rear end and I have no time for that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Skwirl posted:

Really? Also that's not the title of the movie.

It is in correct and proper civilisations where we spell things correctly and are able to collectively pronounce "nuclear".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

It is in correct and proper civilisations where we spell things correctly and are able to collectively pronounce "nuclear".

This loving poo poo again? It's the Color of Money, it's an American film set in America, so it uses the American spelling. Spelling wasn't formalized in either country until well after America became it's own country.

If there's a British film with the word Colour in the title I'll use that spelling when referring to that film.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just watched The Father. Holy poo poo. Heartbreaking and terrifying and eye opening all at the same time. Anthony Hopkins is going to win an Oscar for this. Just an amazing performance.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

RCarr posted:

I just watched The Father. Holy poo poo. Heartbreaking and terrifying and eye opening all at the same time. Anthony Hopkins is going to win an Oscar for this. Just an amazing performance.

He already did.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Skwirl posted:

This loving poo poo again? It's the Colour of Money, it's an American film set in America, so it uses the American spelling. Spelling wasn't formalised in either country until well after America became it's own country.

If there's a British film with the word Colour in the title I'll use that spelling when referring to that film.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I will loving cut you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hoop Dreams posted:

He already did.

God drat I read this and thought it was a funny play on the theme of the movie :D

I thought it was brand new, I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The colour out of space

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The colour out of space

Skwirl posted:

I will loving cut you.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The reason for all the dropped u's in American English is because Merriam was like "get that confusing French poo poo out of here" when he was writing his dictionary, which is a pretty cool move

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The colour purple

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

my favourite movie is Boyz in the Bonnet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The colour purple

Now you're just exposing the fact you never read that book.