Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When things are configured correctly, you will be able to set your desktop refresh rate to 144, and see the Freesync range listed as going up to 144hz. If either of those is not the case, it's not working right. There are Freesync settings on some LG monitors that let you disable Freesync or turn it down for compatibility with certain devices. I'm not sure on a 27GL83A (especially with the revisions) what the setting is called. You may also need to check what DP version the monitor is set to allow, because based on your screenshot it was probably not allowed to go as high as it should and get the bandwidth it needs. It's also possible you have a bad cable and that's causing issues, or that you have dust in one DP port or another messing with the connection. Display connectors are handling an insane amount of bandwidth, it's not uncommon to see issues.

Once it's working properly, you will want to force vsync ON in the control panel, turn it off in games (though that usually doesn't matter, and in some games like Bethesda titles you may need it enabled), and use Chill to cap your framerate to 140. VRR can only slow the monitor down, it can't speed it up. Because of this, your FPS has to be lower than your refresh rate for it to work. If it's not working, you get the same old choice between vsync lag and no sync tearing. For games with an in-game frame rate limiter, if you want a bit of an edge you can create a driver profile to disable Chill in that game and use the in-game limiter instead, since it will give you lower latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

K8.0 posted:

When things are configured correctly, you will be able to set your desktop refresh rate to 144, and see the Freesync range listed as going up to 144hz. If either of those is not the case, it's not working right. There are Freesync settings on some LG monitors that let you disable Freesync or turn it down for compatibility with certain devices. I'm not sure on a 27GL83A (especially with the revisions) what the setting is called. You may also need to check what DP version the monitor is set to allow, because based on your screenshot it was probably not allowed to go as high as it should and get the bandwidth it needs. It's also possible you have a bad cable and that's causing issues, or that you have dust in one DP port or another messing with the connection. Display connectors are handling an insane amount of bandwidth, it's not uncommon to see issues.

Once it's working properly, you will want to force vsync ON in the control panel, turn it off in games (though that usually doesn't matter, and in some games like Bethesda titles you may need it enabled), and use Chill to cap your framerate to 140. VRR can only slow the monitor down, it can't speed it up. Because of this, your FPS has to be lower than your refresh rate for it to work. If it's not working, you get the same old choice between vsync lag and no sync tearing. For games with an in-game frame rate limiter, if you want a bit of an edge you can create a driver profile to disable Chill in that game and use the in-game limiter instead, since it will give you lower latency.

Okay, tried the last DisplayPort cable I was using before the monitor swap and no changes. Tried the HDMI cable that came with the LG monitor and got something different:

The Radeon drivers no longer say Freesync and instead just say Variable Rate Refresh is enabled.

Also while on DP I did check the monitor OSD and it said DisplayPort 1.2 which is old, isn't 1.4a the new hotness? Is that just a cable issue or did I get some weirdly ancient monitor?

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 3, 2021

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
I managed to get a ips monitor. What is decent glow/bleed? Kinda new to them. Theres a bunch in the botttrom right and a little to the left in a pitch black setting.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol i wonder when we'll get to a point where a 4K monitor will be viable for gaming

i've had my 1440p144 Acer Predators for 5 years at this point and wouldn't mind upgrading to 4K for coding but even with a high-end Ampere card (A6000), I don't think frame-rates would be where I'd want them to be...

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Okay, tried the last DisplayPort cable I was using before the monitor swap and no changes. Tried the HDMI cable that came with the LG monitor and got something different:

The Radeon drivers no longer say Freesync and instead just say Variable Rate Refresh is enabled.

Also while on DP I did check the monitor OSD and it said DisplayPort 1.2 which is old, isn't 1.4a the new hotness? Is that just a cable issue or did I get some weirdly ancient monitor?

DP 1.2 has sufficient bandwidth for 1440p 144hz and as such those monitors generally only support DP 1.2.

It seems like you are indeed having a connection issue. I'd use a duster to blow out the ports at both ends and try again. Use a different DP port on the GPU if you can.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

lol i wonder when we'll get to a point where a 4K monitor will be viable for gaming

i've had my 1440p144 Acer Predators for 5 years at this point and wouldn't mind upgrading to 4K for coding but even with a high-end Ampere card (A6000), I don't think frame-rates would be where I'd want them to be...

How noticeable is the difference between QHD and 4k anyways? I've tried both 1440p and native 4K gaming on my TV and couldn't really tell, but obviously I was sitting across the room and couldn't pixel peep

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I play FPS games on my ultrawide but most other games like single player I just play on the OlED and I get pretty good frame rates, enough that I don't notice the frames and do notice that the OLED just looks way better than my IPS monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Oriental Hugs posted:

I managed to get a ips monitor. What is decent glow/bleed? Kinda new to them. Theres a bunch in the botttrom right and a little to the left in a pitch black setting.

Depends heavily on the brightness setting on the monitor and how bright the environment is. Most monitors are blindingly bright on their default settings, which will tend to have the backlight blowing right through the screen. On the other hand, in a very dark room any LCD is going to leak light and an IPS will typically leak the most assuming panels of similar vintage. With reasonably low brightness and a room that has at least a bit of lighting (especially bias lighting behind the monitor), the glow shouldn't stand out unless you're looking at a solid black screen or very close to it.

What specific monitor is it?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So I'm thinking of getting this Asus monitor -> https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-27-ips-led-fhd-gaming-monitor-displayport-dvi-hdmi/6450750.p?skuId=6450750

to replace this thing that I got for free from a friend -> https://www.amazon.com/2016-Model-Ultrafast-Monitor-Natural/dp/B01MRKO20L

I know the default recommendation is that LG monitor, but I personally prefer Asus equipment plus the Best Buy 5 minutes from my house has these in stock at the store. My computer has an 8700K processor with a EVGA 1080 card and after a bit of searching I found a review(*) from when this card was new that states "the DisplayPort outputs are 1.2 certified and spec DP 1.3/1.4-ready". Card has 3 DPs, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI connector. I don't mind the 1920x1080 resolution as that's what I've been using for most of the last 4+ years plus the most video demanding game I play is The Division 2.

Is this monitor going to be a good upgrade for me ? Will it function ok on the connection side ?

(*) https://www.legitreviews.com/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-sc-gaming-acx-3-0-video-card-review_183371

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I would struggle to justify spending that on a new 1080p monitor in this day and age when you can get a 1440p high refresh rate monitor for basically the same price, which you'd be able to drive well enough with the 1080 and be much better placed to take advantage of your next GPU upgrade. You only don't mind 1080p because you haven't had a 1440p monitor yet.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 4, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

change my name posted:

How noticeable is the difference between QHD and 4k anyways? I've tried both 1440p and native 4K gaming on my TV and couldn't really tell, but obviously I was sitting across the room and couldn't pixel peep

I owned a 32" VA 4k monitor from LG that I stopped using when I bought a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS panel instead. Just recently pulled it out of storage and even at the larger screen size it's much crisper, but the 60hz is just complete garbage to me at this point now that I've had a taste of 144+Hz.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

MREBoy posted:

So I'm thinking of getting this Asus monitor

While I agree that 1080p/144hz(ish) is a decent target for gaming on a GTX1080, it does seem kinda wild to spend north of $300 for those specs in 2021, especially given a 280hz version is available for the same price. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JgCFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-vg279qm-270-1920x1080-280-hz-monitor-vg279qm

Also, after a quick google, I can't seem to find any reviews specifically of the VG279QR, just the VG279Q, which seems to have been released around early 2019. I suspect this is just a 165hz refresh of the non-R? In any case, I would recommend you either move up to 1440p, get the 280hz version for maximum fps snobbery, or save $100 or so and go for a less expensive ~144hz 1080p monitor. If the GPU market weren't turbofucked, I would be more firmly in the camp of going 1440p with an eye toward a future GPU upgrade.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Death On Toast posted:

While I agree that 1080p/144hz(ish) is a decent target for gaming on a GTX1080, it does seem kinda wild to spend north of $300 for those specs in 2021, especially given a 280hz version is available for the same price. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JgCFf7/asus-tuf-gaming-vg279qm-270-1920x1080-280-hz-monitor-vg279qm

Also, after a quick google, I can't seem to find any reviews specifically of the VG279QR, just the VG279Q, which seems to have been released around early 2019. I suspect this is just a 165hz refresh of the non-R? In any case, I would recommend you either move up to 1440p, get the 280hz version for maximum fps snobbery, or save $100 or so and go for a less expensive ~144hz 1080p monitor. If the GPU market weren't turbofucked, I would be more firmly in the camp of going 1440p with an eye toward a future GPU upgrade.

Would this meet the "less expensive ~144hz 1080p" standard ? https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-vg279q1a-27/p/N82E16824281093
I've been down in 60hz land for so long I don't even know how valuable or useful 280hz is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

1440p is still entirely doable on a 1080, as long as you don't expect to play the newest, most demanding games at high settings - which you already aren't. Monitors are something you keep for a long time, don't gimp yourself for years for the sake of your current hardware.

Also, no doubt you do things other than just play games on this PC, and 1080p is an absolutely miserable experience compared to 1440p for desktop use.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006

MREBoy posted:

Would this meet the "less expensive ~144hz 1080p" standard ? https://www.newegg.com/black-asus-tuf-gaming-vg279q1a-27/p/N82E16824281093
I've been down in 60hz land for so long I don't even know how valuable or useful 280hz is.

I think that's functionally the same monitor as the one you originally linked, just with a worse stand that only has tilt adjustment. If the stand doesn't bother you, saving the $70 seems like a good move.

That said, I was thinking something like this for the budget 1080p route: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012016?Item=N82E16824012016 (currently $200, in case the price moves around.) I've even actually seen a couple positive reviews for this one.

K8.0 posted:

1440p is still entirely doable on a 1080, as long as you don't expect to play the newest, most demanding games at high settings - which you already aren't. Monitors are something you keep for a long time, don't gimp yourself for years for the sake of your current hardware.

Also, no doubt you do things other than just play games on this PC, and 1080p is an absolutely miserable experience compared to 1440p for desktop use.

I do generally agree with this, especially with regards to all the non-game things you do on a PC being far better served by higher resolution and wanting a monitor upgrade to serve for years. My situation was that I made the move to 144hz/1440p a couple years ago, having been gaming at 4k/60 for a few years before that, and my preferences immediately shifted to wanting all the framerate, all the time. While I don't have recent experience comparing 1080p to higher resolutions, the step up in refresh rate was a huge game changer for me, so that's definitely where my personal bias lies.

Long term, stepping up to 1440p is a good move, especially if somewhat lower frame rates in eye-candy heavy games won't bother you. But doing a 1080p stopgap begins to look more sane as the cost of the stopgap goes down and the projected time before your next GPU upgrade goes up.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

K8.0 posted:

Depends heavily on the brightness setting on the monitor and how bright the environment is. Most monitors are blindingly bright on their default settings, which will tend to have the backlight blowing right through the screen. On the other hand, in a very dark room any LCD is going to leak light and an IPS will typically leak the most assuming panels of similar vintage. With reasonably low brightness and a room that has at least a bit of lighting (especially bias lighting behind the monitor), the glow shouldn't stand out unless you're looking at a solid black screen or very close to it.

What specific monitor is it?

It's https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQ4FXY9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . A big upgrade from my old plasma tv. I"m just worried I got screwed by the glow/bleed randomness. And I don't really have any clue what normal glow/bleed is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Plasma TVs have insanely great contrast, so every LCD is going to look leaky by comparison. The VG27AQ is one of the better products in its segment in terms of contrast. It's possible you got a bad one, but most likely it is what it is. You can try some lighting (especially bias lighting) if the room is dark, and you can turn down the brightness, but that's about it.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Lowen SoDium posted:

My x34 is starting to crap out on me. I am considering making the jump to an LG c1 48".

I know burn in is a concern, but how bad is it for static Windows ui elements if the brightness is turned down to something reasonable?

it wont be a issue for you if you take steps to use a black windows background and have your taskbar set to minimise as well as have desktop items off the screen.

I've got the LG CX48 and I've taken those steps as well as leaving all the screens burn in protection options turned on

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 1080 will be supported by AMD's DLSS thing so that's probably a point in favor of 1440p if that's due any time soon.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
Probably a very dumb question and the answer is probably "your video card sucks, idiot".

I have an older Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop running a gtx 1050, and I recently bought a Gigabyte G34WQC 34" 144Hz monitor to replace my 2-monitor setup. Love it so far, looks fantastic after some calibration.
I'm running a Dell D3100 docking station via USB, and then Display Port from the docking station to the monitor, and the refresh rate seems to be locked at 50hz when I try to change it from the windows settings. Is there something simple I'm missing to change it to 144hz, or is it just "your video card sucks, idiot"?

edit:
After further research, I think it may be the docking station? It uses Display Port 1.1, while the monitor uses 1.4.
I think if I get a USB-C to DP 1.4 cable directly from the laptop to the monitor without going through the docking station, that might fix it? I'm borrowing the docking station from work anyways.

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 5, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Aphrodite posted:

The 1080 will be supported by AMD's DLSS thing so that's probably a point in favor of 1440p if that's due any time soon.

Caveat: AMD has said nvidia will have to optimize for FSR themselves, so don't count on it running well anytime soon

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006

Sneeing Emu posted:

Probably a very dumb question and the answer is probably "your video card sucks, idiot".

I have an older Lenovo Yoga 720 laptop running a gtx 1050, and I recently bought a Gigabyte G34WQC 34" 144Hz monitor to replace my 2-monitor setup. Love it so far, looks fantastic after some calibration.
I'm running a Dell D3100 docking station via USB, and then Display Port from the docking station to the monitor, and the refresh rate seems to be locked at 50hz when I try to change it from the windows settings. Is there something simple I'm missing to change it to 144hz, or is it just "your video card sucks, idiot"?

edit:
After further research, I think it may be the docking station? It uses Display Port 1.1, while the monitor uses 1.4.
I think if I get a USB-C to DP 1.4 cable directly from the laptop to the monitor without going through the docking station, that might fix it? I'm borrowing the docking station from work anyways.

DP1.1 definitely does not have bandwidth for 1440p ultrawide at high refresh, so that's probably exactly what's going on. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which DP version you need to get the full 144hz--if the laptop only supports DP1.2 I think you may still be limited to 120hz.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Can't find/remember what that specific recommended LG monitor model was, but this one checks the 1440p + IPS + 144hz + within my budget boxes -> https://www.newegg.com/black-lg-ultragear-27gn800-b-27/p/0JC-000D-00BG4

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

I saw a few 32 inchs monitors on amazon with 144hz and 1440p for around 300. But some 27" cost more? Whats is the differance between them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oriental Hugs posted:

I saw a few 32 inchs monitors on amazon with 144hz and 1440p for around 300. But some 27" cost more? Whats is the differance between them.

Without examples it's hard to say, but quite likely the panel technology is different, like VA versus IPS.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

MREBoy posted:

Can't find/remember what that specific recommended LG monitor model was, but this one checks the 1440p + IPS + 144hz + within my budget boxes -> https://www.newegg.com/black-lg-ultragear-27gn800-b-27/p/0JC-000D-00BG4

That’s basically the same screen as the recommended models just with a budget stand with crap ergonomics so a monitor arm is pretty much a necessity.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006

MREBoy posted:

The ones that I remember are the 27GL850, 27GN850, and 27GL83A. The 27GP850 and 27GP83A are the new refreshed versions with slightly better features, but you can expect a higher price/limited availability because of the new hotness factor.

My understanding of the difference is the 83A is SDR input only, and GL and GN both accept HDR input, and the GL has a USB hub.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Death On Toast posted:

DP1.1 definitely does not have bandwidth for 1440p ultrawide at high refresh, so that's probably exactly what's going on. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which DP version you need to get the full 144hz--if the laptop only supports DP1.2 I think you may still be limited to 120hz.

DP1.4 cable arrived today, that was definitely the problem. Now getting.... 100hz. Which is perfectly fine for what I wanted the monitor for - AutoCAD/Revit design for work. So nice to be able to have all that screen real estate in front of me instead of shoved over to one monitor.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ok but you're still getting significantly less value for your money. I'd rma it, a 1440p100hz monitor is worth much less

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

100hz is DP 1.2 maxxed out on a 1440p ultrawide, that's 100% what's happening. Check your settings etc.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

100hz is DP 1.2 maxxed out on a 1440p ultrawide, that's 100% what's happening. Check your settings etc.

this was my thought but I didn't read closely enough to get the ultrawide bit.

my intel based work laptop with its thunderbolt dock (presumably dp1.2) runs my 1440p ultrawide at 100hz. so does my gemini lake nuc with its hdmi 2.0b output.

I was kinda thinking maybe there was just some inherent refresh limitation on intel (their work laptop) but yeah ultrawide dp1.2/hdmi2.0b 1440p limits out at 100 hz.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

K8.0 posted:

After even further investigation, it seems that the "switchable graphics" of my particular laptop is preventing the dedicated Nvidia GPU from being used as the default display driver, even when I set the Nvidia options to max performance. It's still using the built in Intel display driver, and only switches to the Nvidia GPU when it runs games and stuff. The limitations of a 4 year old laptop I suppose.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
on some laptops you can disable the switchable part and just run on the dedicated graphics (at higher idle power/etc)

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Paul MaudDib posted:

on some laptops you can disable the switchable part and just run on the dedicated graphics (at higher idle power/etc)

Yeah I checked the BIOS options to try and change it to dedicated only, it was either "switchable" or "integrated".

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread with technical problems. It's still a great monitor for the price!

Sneeing Emu fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 7, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Crossposting cause I don’t know which thread to post about my stupidity in:

Rolo posted:

So I messed up and left my LG 27GL83A monitor plugged into an outlet that isn’t surge protected and guess what? Lightning hit the transformer outside, huge explosion, black screen. Everything else is fine including my irreplaceable 3080 PC thank god.

The power cord is a pretty hefty brick and when I take my multi meter to it it’s outputting 3 volts every 3-4 seconds for just a moment before going back to zero. Is there a chance I just killed my power supply?

I’m gonna order another surge strip with whatever I have to buy, lesson learned.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

Crossposting cause I don’t know which thread to post about my stupidity in:

It seems possible the brick failed before passing the charge along to the monitor. The only way to really find out is to try a new power supply.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I was lucky enough to find one on Amazon for 30 bucks so at least I’ll have one Wednesday.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

phosdex posted:

If you want a reasonably tough laptop, look at Dell Precision M4x00. The m4800 is the last of the line of the sturdier case style and can be found on eBay fully maxed out for about $400. Less if you don't need 32gb and an nvidia quadro.

Thank you for posting this.

This is a much better value than the thinkpads I've seen online.

Thinkpad price inflation is very very real.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Any thoughts on the Gigabyte M28U? HDMI2.1 120 + 144 + 4K + USB-C input + built-in KVM is very appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Very few people have received one so far. Impressions on Reddit are good, but apparently it has issues with crashing in Freesync for at least one guy.