Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the parliamentarian is a glorified advisor that can be ignored without consequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Can someone explain wtf a parliamentarian is? I've literally never heard that word used in reference to the senate before Joe Biden got elected.

Politics is Calvinball, but the Dems are deliberately playing to lose.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

thalweg posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1400403402044149763?s=20

One more chance, that's the rules! And if you mess it up you have to give the Republicans all your lunch money. Sorry, but that's just how it works.

"we have plenty more chances to raise the min. wage to $15/hour"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:thunk:

The Biden administration said Friday it has no timeline on whether it will allow states to import drugs from Canada, an effort that was approved under President Donald Trump as a key strategy to control costs.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol Obama is going to try to gentrify South Shore

gently caress him

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

thalweg posted:

One more chance, that's the rules! And if you mess it up you have to give the Republicans all your lunch money. Sorry, but that's just how it works.

"Hey, at least I got out of this with the clothes on my back"
as people run screaming from the man with his exposed privates

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/avenaim/status/1400460165480992771

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Walking Hard, Thank U

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I'm still in favor of a breakout new hit reality show called Locked Up: The Odd Couple and it's just hillary and trump on house arrest in that apartment from that hillary picture where she's like "human livestock lives in this condition?"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ezraromero/status/1400504116585975808?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

big Paul Ryan vibe

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's basically a person whose job it is to say whether or not the Senate is following the Senate's rules (that the Senate itself sets)

So like, if the Senate has a rule that says "budget reconciliation bills only need 50 votes to pass", but someone asks what does or doesn't count as a "budget reconciliation bill", it's the parliamentarian's job to answer that

From a liberal perspective the idea is that the parliamentarian will answer that question objectively

From someone who actually knows how to do politics, the idea is that you either replace the parliamentarian with someone who will let you do whatever you want, or you simply ignore this person

You don't have to replace them at all, the parliamentarian is a purely advisory role so you can ignore them at your leisure.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Stuffing a handful of mangos into a plastic bag is more than she's ever done for poor people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the leisure of the Democrats is to do nothing by listening to the parliamentarian

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ezraromero/status/1400506975918559234?s=20

:thunk:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wearing a mask? I guess she needs therapy.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

kamala should wear an ella emhoff original design for pride, that would be progress

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

thalweg posted:

It really feels like democrats are getting desperate and reaching the bottom of the barrel on excuses. There has been such a call on them to do something, they accidentally won the senate, and people don't like the "we have to be bipartisan" stuff anymore even in their sycophantic base, that they're now giving the parlimentarian overtime. A position no one ever heard of or knew of is now being forced into the center stage to run cover.

I have to think there are even democratic voters at this point starting to see how much of a sham it seems.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

isn’t his replacement like objectively worse

edit: i mean bibi’s replacement. we know biden is worse than trump

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Yinlock posted:

the parliamentarian is a glorified advisor that can be ignored without consequence

hm nope sorry this dork with no executive authority whatsoever has assured me that dogs cannot, in fact, play basketball under any circumstances

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Tom Guycot posted:

I have to think there are even democratic voters at this point starting to see how much of a sham it seems.

lmao

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
extremely lmao that the democrats play has been to frantically jabber excuses and have sinema throw herself under the bus until 2022 when they no doubt will lose both houses of congress and can safely fall back to "well we would have done something but you didnt VOTE hard enough!"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

?????

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the parliamentarian is paid like $150k a year to make excuses for why poor people must stay poor

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nichael posted:

the parliamentarian is paid like $150k a year to make excuses for why poor people must stay poor

no that’s senator coons

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:boom:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1400507101408006147

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
you could say larry summers "should get his legs run over by a car"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no that’s senator coons

he's paid more than that and he doesn't so much "make excuses" as he does relish in their poverty with glee

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

no that’s senator coons

Senator C**ns

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, obviously not those in the core worlds, but i feel there must be a couple of those on the fringe, dems through inertia, that are getting crack pinged by all this parlementarian stuff out of nowhere, thats never existed before in their lives.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

:haibrow:

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

Well, obviously not those in the core worlds, but i feel there must be a couple of those on the fringe, dems through inertia, that are getting crack pinged by all this parlementarian stuff out of nowhere, thats never existed before in their lives.

it doesn't matter

this cycle has been going on for decades

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

If she ever did anything to help the needy through her actual position of power she wouldent need the photo op so way to tell yourself I guess

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
probate all COWARDS who empty quote and then post the stupid rear end emptyquote smilie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

star eater posted:

probate all COWARDS who empty quote and then post the stupid rear end emptyquote smilie.

:emptyquote:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Senator C**ns

I hope he has a terrible day

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

raising the minimum wage would have so many positive knock-on effects it's insane. like every single thing you see libs tweet about "we must address x" would be impacted. why bother talking about food insecurity when you could kill fifty birds with one stone by raising minimum wage to 15/hr (which shouldnt even be that difficult- realistically it should be at least 20 now with inflation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

star eater posted:

:anttony: