Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
0 new posts what'd I miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Marvel X-COM could be cool as gently caress but I'd want them to focus on just a few characters and make them really unique. Instead of Hulk being "A Melee Guy" have Hulk gain a damage and movement increase every time he gets hit by an attack because it makes him angry. You can attack Hulk yourself to buff him but he also has a chance to go Berseker Mode and attack random targets.

Also Hawkeye should instantly die if he gets hit by an attack but you get more financial support because he has a sponsorship deal with Red Bull.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have hundreds of hours logged in XCOM2 but I'm intrigued by what "marvel xcom" would be like, if it's more divinity original sin/rabbids xcom type poo poo

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

the bottom of the last page

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

all of your good posts

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1374840/Dark_Deity/

Saw an ad for this game, it's heavily inspired by gba fire emblem sprite-wise but I feel like there is something off comparing the sprites to the character artwork and the UI in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdRc78LuqPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEoW2Ud_1P4

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ooh, it looks up my alley though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FirstAidKite posted:

Saw an ad for this game, it's heavily inspired by gba fire emblem sprite-wise but I feel like there is something off comparing the sprites to the character artwork and the UI in general.

The spritework looks really stiff I think, it needs more key frames or blending or whatever it is instead of the anime cut-in

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

tithin posted:

So I'm watching a twitch stream from this dude and it looks sick as gently caress

I bought it and am playing it now and it's pretty fun. Only complaint is it's one of those Hades-deals where there's a TON of meta-progression, except just due to the structure of the game there's no way I don't think you could possibly win on your first run just based on your gameplay skills. Like, the second meta-upgrade you get from killing enemies makes it so every character gets +1 attacks per turn, which is very very very good!

so be aware that you're going to be forced to play through at least one or two completely doomed runs where you're just farming meta-progression items

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess it just needs more animation and detail period but I'm glad someone is at least trying since FE sure isn't

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Actually talking about the best ways to handle meta-progression and gameplay is making me think about another game I've been playing a TON of recently which is Dungeon Maker. It's incredibly good.

Basically, it's a Dungeon Defense game. Simple version is that there's two kinda of rooms, trap rooms and combat rooms, and you place them on a grid to defend your leader. The cool thing about it is that it's one of the most mechanically dense games I've ever seen. There's like 200 different kinds of rooms and 140+ monsters and a bazillion skills and status ailments and there's eight different leaders with different skills. You can fuse monsters and rooms to create better monsters and rooms, you can capture enemies, convert monsters or converted enemies into skill orbs and equip them onto your monsters.

My first playthrough on Normal mode I decided to marathon to day 300 for maximum achievements, because each achievement gives you +10 gems, which you need for meta-progression items. A single purchase of a basic meta-item costs 10 gems, so one free item per achievement. I'm looking for two specific items from my packs - auto-skills (meaning I don't have to tap the screen to cast spells during battle, and the 3x game speed option. I get to day 300 very easily, and score 174,000 points, which gives me another free 50 gems. I do not roll either thing I want, but I do get a facility succession and two monster successions. This means I can bring one room and two monsters from my run I just had and take them into my next run, and I can do that after every run. I take my gigantify (one monster instead of three, but bonus stats) and two high-level monsters, start a new run on Hard.

On Hard I decide to cash out on day 100. Just before the final floor, I spend all my cash on facilities to try and find two more Gigantify, and fuse them together to make Three Giganteers (three monsters, all with boosted stats). No amazing monsters this run though. I score four million points which results in 500 gems.

Next run I go to the next highest difficulty available, Trial 2. I know 3Giants will carry me for a ways, but I want to keep upgrading my traps for subsequent runs. I eventually manage to fuse up a Meteor trap, which does a ton of damage to slowed enemies, but also inflicts Burn. Another fairly easy run just due to my game knowledge, cash out at day 100, get 200,000,000 points, 2000 gems. I outright buy two complete upgrade packs so I have max unit and facility succession.

Next run I put my plan into action. I pick the fire-based leader who casts Living Bomb, which causes enemies to explode and do damage to them based on their burn stacks. I choose a unique dungeon layout which causes enemies to take double damage, but their attack speed multiplies for every two seconds they live. This dungeon only has one enterance though, so I drop an Ice Pit (damage + slow) and Meteor behind it (Double damage against slowed enemies, causes Burn) and will attack every enemy on screen with my leader which causes damage based on the amount of burn damage. Now, there's also, in addition to difficulty levels, unique difficulty modifiers you can tweak for additional score multiplier. I max out the number of enemies who enter the dungeon, max out the enemy attack speed, maximize the amount of EXP my monsters need to level up, select a modifier so I get less rewards, and one that makes my monsters have a fixed attack speed. None of these matter since all enemies die instantly when entering my dungeon because of my setup. The additional enemies also comically offset the less EXP gain, since you get EXP per enemy, so I'm jumping up to level 100 in two battles. All of these modifiers mean I'm getting thousands of additional score multipliers, and when I cash out at Floor 100, I end with a score of 40,000,000,000,000, and I get 5000 gems for meta-upgrades. There are still 12+ difficulty sliders I have not touched and ten more unique modifiers I haven't used.

This is a good meta-progression system

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Nothing, and I mean nothing, looks better than a gba FE crit

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

wuggles posted:

Nothing, and I mean nothing, looks better than a gba FE crit

Lady Sia had some damned good animation but also nobody knows about that game

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FirstAidKite posted:

Lady Sia had some damned good animation but also nobody knows about that game

Hi hello, I've played Sia

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1400660085211381760?s=20

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only E3 news I needed

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's a week before Endwalker!!! What am I made of time!?!?!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i remember thinking the nintendo power ads for lady sia looked pretty cool and tried it years later but it wasn't very good. i would try it again however

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

That's a week before Endwalker!!! What am I made of time!?!?!

If it's any consolation, this date is from a Japanese site, so it might be a bit before the international release. We're not sure if it's a simultaneous worldwide.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

If it's any consolation, this date is from a Japanese site, so it might be a bit before the international release. We're not sure if it's a simultaneous worldwide.

The trailer from last july said it's gonna be a simultaneous release. That was the one big thing since it was otherwise bog standard SMT stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well alas.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

i remember thinking the nintendo power ads for lady sia looked pretty cool and tried it years later but it wasn't very good. i would try it again however

Ill try anything twice

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I'm getting to the point of World's End Club where the good Uchikoshi bullshit is starting to creep in. I hope it sticks the landing.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope the main character's bowlcut gets changed because goddamn

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The GBA was crazy. A faithful Max Payne port, a good Driver game, a cool FPS based on one one of the worst big budget action films ever made and a rad version of Turok Evolution.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

I have hundreds of hours logged in XCOM2 but I'm intrigued by what "marvel xcom" would be like, if it's more divinity original sin/rabbids xcom type poo poo

Its gonna be chimera squad with super heros instead of cops probably

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Its gonna be chimera squad with super heros instead of cops probably

What's the difference

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

It's imo not a great game but also the flaws are what make it interesting. It feels like one of those passion project games where you can look past the flaws because of the charm. I'm honestly happy there are people in this thread who have heard of it let alone played it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DLC Inc posted:

I hope the main character's bowlcut gets changed because goddamn

nah, the MC already has a simp squad a million strong

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That release date is worldwide and not Japan only?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Waffleman_ posted:

What's the difference

:hmmyes:

Further update from Prey playing: I've found a loving ton of shotgun ammo - when do I get one of those.

e: for reference on where I am, I finally saw the full video you recorded for yourself

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

tithin posted:

:hmmyes:

Further update from Prey playing: I've found a loving ton of shotgun ammo - when do I get one of those.

e: for reference on where I am, I finally saw the full video you recorded for yourself

There's one in the security office in the main atrium, I think (it's been ages since I played so I can't remember the names of locations). You need a keypass to get in one door, but there's also a secret path somewhere -- possibly in the toilets?

You're very welcome for this half-remembered guidance from my playthrough years ago.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

New Super Metis posted:

There's one in the security office in the main atrium, I think (it's been ages since I played so I can't remember the names of locations). You need a keypass to get in one door, but there's also a secret path somewhere -- possibly in the toilets?

You're very welcome for this half-remembered guidance from my playthrough years ago.

So I'm due to get it any second now, good.

Almost impossible to murder these guys with just a wrench. Had hoped to be able to upgrade it, but nope.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

FirstAidKite posted:

That character looks to have a pet ferret so she is by default the best character.

I've gone back to Darkest Dungeon again because while I've never completed it and I adore everything about it I burn out and get bored before finishing it. Maybe I don't push to do the harder stuff and the darkest dungeon itself and just get bogged down in a loop of levelling up mooks.

Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection is also finally out for PC so I know what my plans are for this weekend!

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Someone got probated earlier today for making a “hundreds of new posts, what happen” post, why hasn’t arfjason been similarly punished?

e: well gently caress, nm, carry on team

look at this narc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtF80UCgarY

look at this timeless masterpiece. Although it'll always be Soul Blade to me. The first violent video game I ever owned. I had to get my dad to go out in secret to buy it for me, away from my mum's prying eyes.

RE Prey - really enjoying it so far, I'm a few hours in. Just did my first spacewalk. Do I need to be overly concerned with what neuromods I go for? Do you end up good at everything at some point, or can you tech tree yourself into a bad corner?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

RE Prey - really enjoying it so far, I'm a few hours in. Just did my first spacewalk. Do I need to be overly concerned with what neuromods I go for? Do you end up good at everything at some point, or can you tech tree yourself into a bad corner?

There's a way to craft neuromods somewhere.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah, you won't be filling out the whole tree, but you also won't screw yourself with your choices, so just go for whatever looks good to you imo.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There's something I want to tell you about Prey and Neuromods, but even bringing it up is largely dependent on the kind of gamer you are. This could be a kind of big spoiler, so I have two questions, and I'll spoil each of them, they shouldn't say too much on their own, but Prey is such an amazing experience, I hesitate to ruin even a second of it for anyone

How blind do you like to go into games?

Are you the kind of person who replays games more then once if they're amazing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Soul Reaver was the first time/maybe the only time I remember being shocked at violence in a video game

look at the all the red blood like dots!!