Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New lore trailer dropped while 1 million people were watching the grand final of iceland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M_r8MKQ3mo

Lore :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

The grand finals have been a good watch so far

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Make replication an all-time mode. I dont like spike rush.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stealth Tiger posted:

The grand finals have been a good watch so far

It really has been.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even though the final score was 3-0 in favor of Sentinels that was a very close grand finals.

Also it's really nice to see almost 1.1 million viewers tuning in for the esport. That's really great for the first year.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

To me, Valorant is a much better pro-focused game than CSGO, but a much more difficult casual one.

I actually think Riot hugely succeeded in creating a super-tight CS-alike with very good netcode, responsiveness, and anti-cheat, which is no small feat. I think the tough part that keeps it from being more popular at places like SA is actually the hero-shooter part - it's a much larger barrier for casual players (like me). In CS, every player is the same and you just have to understand what flashbangs and nades do. In order to really be competitive in Valorant you have to learn and understand how to recognize and counter literally every character's 4+ powers, sound and visual cues, etc. It's just a loooooooootttt more to have to understand about a game.

Also yeah the map design could be a bit better.

It kinda sucks because sometimes I want to just jump into a simple game like CS but Valorant does such a better job at netcode and anti-cheat that it's kind of ruined it for me.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm thinking about reinstalling Valorant because I've been playing Apex Arenas and I have the itch for round-based shooting. Is it currently in a fun-to-play state?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

prom candy posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling Valorant because I've been playing Apex Arenas and I have the itch for round-based shooting. Is it currently in a fun-to-play state?

There's 6 maps now, the two new ones are very good, several new characters that are all unique and not overpowered...

the only thing to be aware of is that the community is sweaty at this point. There's no pub stomps, everyone playing understands the basics of how to play CS, so don't go in thinking you'll have a few rounds of making GBS threads on pubbies before your rank normalizes

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

abigserve posted:

There's 6 maps now, the two new ones are very good, several new characters that are all unique and not overpowered...

the only thing to be aware of is that the community is sweaty at this point. There's no pub stomps, everyone playing understands the basics of how to play CS, so don't go in thinking you'll have a few rounds of making GBS threads on pubbies before your rank normalizes

I was never any good in the first place. I've played CS for years but only on and off and never at a high level, I think I was maybe Gold in Valorant before I stopped playing. If that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dy. posted:

To me, Valorant is a much better pro-focused game than CSGO, but a much more difficult casual one.

I actually think Riot hugely succeeded in creating a super-tight CS-alike with very good netcode, responsiveness, and anti-cheat, which is no small feat. I think the tough part that keeps it from being more popular at places like SA is actually the hero-shooter part - it's a much larger barrier for casual players (like me). In CS, every player is the same and you just have to understand what flashbangs and nades do. In order to really be competitive in Valorant you have to learn and understand how to recognize and counter literally every character's 4+ powers, sound and visual cues, etc. It's just a loooooooootttt more to have to understand about a game.

Also yeah the map design could be a bit better.

It kinda sucks because sometimes I want to just jump into a simple game like CS but Valorant does such a better job at netcode and anti-cheat that it's kind of ruined it for me.

thats smart and i broadly agree but also consider that goons are all old as gently caress now and just get owned constantly in this game and get bored and stop playing

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Smythe posted:

thats smart and i broadly agree but also consider that goons are all old as gently caress now and just get owned constantly in this game and get bored and stop playing
I do really miss the pubstomping days before anyone figured out how to play these games.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dy. posted:

I do really miss the pubstomping days before anyone figured out how to play these games.

we was used to be the pubstompers n now we da pubs. sad poo poo. :911:

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Smythe posted:

It’s really a reverse-Drake situation

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

started up in plat and now we here
started up in plat and now the whole team fuckin here

I done carried teams in the stomp
playin at my mommas house id hardly ever lose yeah
but now I can't take A site on my own
dinkin all night, no kills and bombs still spawn yeah

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Smythe posted:

this is so sad. alexa, play pubmasters the movie

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you know what this super precise tactical shooter needs? mushy touchscreen controls

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1400075766545670144

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Laughing about the 14 million monthly players and the conversation that happened on the last page.

repiv posted:

you know what this super precise tactical shooter needs? mushy touchscreen controls

probably going to take the pubg/cod mobile approach tbh

Asema fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 2, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

repiv posted:

hopefully it's a battle royale

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Smythe posted:

Me and my RL friends are consistently decent in upper bronze/low silver but god drat have I given up on going anywhere beyond that, and events like school getting out seem to get my knocked way down the ole comp ladder. Might be because I play drunk tho

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
the rank system seems to have shifted pretty dramatically since season 1. I remember when we first started doing fives we pretty much all placed in high gold and now I'm pretty sure we'd all end up being bronze tier shitters because all the top end players in esports these days are whacked out to the gills on speed

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Anything goons don’t like is stupid and bad and dead, never mind the fact that we are all old as gently caress and the things we like are actually stupid and bad and dead

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Who cares if something is popular or not, I care if it's good

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

You get pretty much insta-queue compet games (I think the longest I've ever seen on AU is 2 mins) so there's definitely shitloads of people playing it.

repiv posted:

imo this will be a TFT style thing, it won't be like PUBG/COD mobile which is basically the full game on a phone because the controls just wouldn't work for this kinda game

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Me and my RL friends are consistently decent in upper bronze/low silver but god drat have I given up on going anywhere beyond that, and events like school getting out seem to get my knocked way down the ole comp ladder. Might be because I play drunk tho

I had a game a while ago in silver with a duo that was the max ranks apart at the time, like gold3-iron3 or whatever. In some round the iron guy who has been having a rough game asks for a buy and one of the silvers does it. Gold teammate asks “why”. The silver guy that bought says “he asked?” The gold3 guy was astounded started going on and on about how how toxic people in plat/diamond are and that he was flamed mercilessly once for requesting as the lowest rank and score in the lobby and that achieving any rank above silver is a mistake.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They hid the ranks in comp awhile ago for that reason, and made it opt-in to show your previous act rank on your playercard.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

prom candy posted:

Who cares if something is popular or not, I care if it's good
point is that bad is highly subjective and different generations of people will think different things are bad

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Vandal or phantom boys? I've been running Vandal but apparently all the pros are full-time phantom now. What gives?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abigserve posted:

Vandal or phantom boys? I've been running Vandal but apparently all the pros are full-time phantom now. What gives?

phantom is the better one at short to mid range as well as in the spray transfer & control department, vandal is great at long range and getting off the one headshot but that's about it and some pros have just been going for the guardian at that point for the penetration aspect

edit;

relevant tweet
https://twitter.com/SideshowGaming/status/1400200821481086979

Asema fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 3, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I like blapping people in the dome with the vandal tho

Edit: guardian is amazing for headshots but the rate of fire is too slow if someone gets in close imo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

abigserve posted:

Phantom is better in mid range engagements and at the ranges that you could potentially pull off round-winning hold-and-flicks with a vandal you should probably just buy a Guardian instead if you have the aim required for that kind of thing

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i am a moron posted:

Edit: guardian is amazing for headshots but the rate of fire is too slow if someone gets in close imo

yeah and at that point the phantom is better in every way so it's better to go guardian if you are playing for that blap blap distance battle (cheaper, better penetration, etc)

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

Riot posted:

PRIDE PLAYER CARDS AND TITLES

With pride month just starting off, VALORANT has released player cards and TITLES! with numerous LGBTQIA+ flags free to the player basis in all regions. You may redeem all of the player cards!

Gay Pride Code (Rainbow): prismatic
Transgender Pride Code (Blue, White, Pink): cottoncandy
Pansexual Pride Code (Pink, Yellow, Blue): primary
Nonbinary Pride Code (Yellow, White, Purple, Black): galactic
Bisexual Pride Code (Pink, Blue, Purple): sunset
Asexual Pride Code (black, gray, white, purple): twilight
Lesbian Pride Code (Orange, White, Pink): sherbet

Player Title Codes

“Proud” Title Code: JUBILANT01
“Ally” Title Code: JUBILANT02

Redeem here: https://redeem.playvalorant.com/

site is super slow but here's how to get the pride icons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
We'll see if Riot keeps them around after June ends or if they yank them like they do in League of Legends because otherwise the 80% of their playerbase that owns a copy of Mein Kampf will start playing Dota 2 instead.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

We'll see if Riot keeps them around after June ends or if they yank them like they do in League of Legends because otherwise the 80% of their playerbase that owns a copy of Mein Kampf will start playing Dota 2 instead.

i already play dota

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Phantom is better in mid range engagements and at the ranges that you could potentially pull off round-winning hold-and-flicks with a vandal you should probably just buy a Guardian instead if you have the aim required for that kind of thing

I'm going to try this tonight. I do a lot of long range holding and I've gotten pretty adept with the flicks. Seems a bit cheeky that it's 500 bucks cheaper as well...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kazinsal posted:

Lol that you think 80% of any player base owns books

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Started getting serious about guardian/phantom tonight, thread I gotta tell you idk why I was buying vandals

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The guardian was solid after the first round of buffs it got and then it got a second. That high wall penetration is occasionally fun.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Installed this game again yesterday but already can't stand playing with my buddy. Every round there's an excuse, it's like listening to my own darksydephil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Installed this game again yesterday but already can't stand playing with my buddy. Every round there's an excuse, it's like listening to my own darksydephil

one of the classic pitfalls of gaming with the bros. sometimes they reveal they a bitch. sad when this happens.