Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Bluetooth doesn't pass compressed audio through, but reencodes it for transport, whatever.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Volguus posted:

Right:
So there is whatever the codec loses over the transmission. Which probably is nothing since the audio comes from the application encoded that way. But yeah, its digital.

Hey, what luck, this picture's entirely digital too!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You can get a DAC with a built-in bluetooth reciever and just skip passing audio from cellphone through your computer entirely. This is technically less lossy because there's one less step in the chain of encoding/re-encoding although you'd probably be hard pressed to hear a difference.

I spent a little extra on an Audioengine B1 which probably has the exact ports you need (RCA out and optical out). You can get much cheaper ones with simliar outputs though. The Audioengine looks nice but it doesn't always work with Apple devices for some reason.

E:also if you have a hard-on for fidelity, any sound coming out from a windows pc needs to be played at 100% volume unless you do funky stuff with ASIO or the like. This is inconvenient if the computer is gonna be used for other stuff.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 2, 2021

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm pretty sure Bluetooth doesn't pass compressed audio through, but reencodes it for transport, whatever.

For the convenience, however, it's worth it (It's a one button click "Connect" and done). It would be dumb to re-encode it again since it comes in compressed, but I suppose it may.

Geemer posted:

Hey, what luck, this picture's entirely digital too!

Sure, it could make it worse if it's messing with the input. I hope it doesn't. At least it's not noticeable if it does. For hi-fi audio, not even audiophile level, but just reasonable, using the phone for anything is indeed stupid if there are other alternatives. This "setup" is purely for the convenience of it. Any messing with cables would no longer make it convenient and therefore would not make it worth it to even consider the phone. And I'm not willing to spend money on a BT-capable DAC just for this.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 2, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

For the convenience, however, it's worth it (It's a one button click "Connect" and done). It would be dumb to re-encode it again since it comes in compressed, but I suppose it may.

It absolutely does reencode, Bluetooth audio is always reencoded.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

The system that card came in had a 240w power supply.
Nah, I don't want it back. Do what you will with it.
If I were you I wouldn't give up on it just yet, though. Some pics of your setup it would help a lot in suggesting solutions, if that's possible.

Edit: vertically mounting the card might be the answer.

The case is really small, it won't fit. If anyone wants to trade it for a cheap card that fits the Dell Optiplex 790 SFF I'm willing to. All I need is to play CSGO on fairly good settings.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

It absolutely does reencode, Bluetooth audio is always reencoded.

Welp. Anyway, I appreciate everyone input on this, I learned a lot about how BT works and everything. My problem seems to have been solved and I happily have my background noise while coding on, with minimal effort in both OS-es.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Spacegrass posted:

The case is really small, it won't fit. If anyone wants to trade it for a cheap card that fits the Dell Optiplex 790 SFF I'm willing to. All I need is to play CSGO on fairly good settings.

Is this the case?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDg4OMr14ak

If it is, woof that sucks. Maybe if you took out the optical drive it could fit? Maybe if you took out the optical drive and replaced the HDD with a SSD it could fit.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 3, 2021

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

It is. I can't do anything with this case. I'll just post on various message boards and hope someone trades me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacegrass posted:

It is. I can't do anything with this case. I'll just post on various message boards and hope someone trades me.

oh oof you're right bud that's tighter than i assumed. you got access to a dremel or sommat? if you could cut where i highlighted you could maybe route the riser out of the case and run the GPU outside (you'd only need a thin cut if it's on a corner, it's very flat), maybe make a little enclosure out of it with like a wire pencilcase or something?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Spacegrass posted:

Can you just pull all the stuff out of the case and run your computer that way? Maybe elevate it out of the way of pets or whatever?

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

tuyop posted:

Can you just pull all the stuff out of the case and run your computer that way? Maybe elevate it out of the way of pets or whatever?

No. I'm a severe alcoholic, I'd probably get electrocuted or catch this s*i*hole on fire.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacegrass posted:

No. I'm a severe alcoholic, I'd probably get electrocuted or catch this s*i*hole on fire.

that's rough bud, i've also had my issues wrecking stuff because of substances, i hope sincerely stuff gets better. but your risk of either is very low - like, people run open case all the time, unless you spill a liquid directly into there or otherwise kick it or something it's going to fail long before it risks shocking you or catching on fire.

you could totally DIY yourself a solution if you were so inclined. like, a cardboard box with holes cut out of the sides for airflow like a turtle shell that you literally just put on top, or one of those wire printer paper holders, or similar. all a computer case is exactly what it describes - a rigid case to hold your components. people make cardboard box cases all the time, nothing wrong with it, and you could easily build a little something that doesn't look good but absolutely will work. you only need to cover one side - you could probably take an old plastic real estate sign and a box cutter and some duct take and make something good enough to work.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

CoolCab posted:

that's rough bud, i've also had my issues wrecking stuff because of substances, i hope sincerely stuff gets better. but your risk of either is very low - like, people run open case all the time, unless you spill a liquid directly into there or otherwise kick it or something it's going to fail long before it risks shocking you or catching on fire.

you could totally DIY yourself a solution if you were so inclined. like, a cardboard box with holes cut out of the sides for airflow like a turtle shell that you literally just put on top, or one of those wire printer paper holders, or similar. all a computer case is exactly what it describes - a rigid case to hold your components. people make cardboard box cases all the time, nothing wrong with it, and you could easily build a little something that doesn't look good but absolutely will work. you only need to cover one side - you could probably take an old plastic real estate sign and a box cutter and some duct take and make something good enough to work.

I'll give it a shot. Do you know what kind of video cable(s) I need for it? I ordered a monitor that only has vga (but I can find a male to female or whatever) I haven't had a desktop in 5 years so I'm a bit confused, and I know I sound dumb, too much booze and years of only android use.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Spacegrass posted:

I'll give it a shot. Do you know what kind of video cable(s) I need for it? I ordered a monitor that only has vga (but I can find a male to female or whatever) I haven't had a desktop in 5 years so I'm a bit confused, and I know I sound dumb, too much booze and years of only android use.

The ports depend on the make of the card, could you post a picture of the ports? It probably has HDMI and DVI, which should narrow down the type of cord or adapter youll need.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacegrass posted:

you don't sound dumb bud, point me at a car's engine and i'll go "...i think it needs gas, and oil, and maybe water? not quite sure on the last one". we all start ignorant on stuff we don't know, no shame in it :)

you'll need to hook your cable up to the GPU, not the other available ports on the back, so either a picture or if CAR CRASH CRACKERS maybe remembers the available ports or the model, we could look it up?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

CoolCab posted:

you don't sound dumb bud, point me at a car's engine and i'll go "...i think it needs gas, and oil, and maybe water? not quite sure on the last one". we all start ignorant on stuff we don't know, no shame in it :)

you'll need to hook your cable up to the GPU, not the other available ports on the back, so either a picture or if CAR CRASH CRACKERS maybe remembers the available ports or the model, we could look it up?

https://starmicroinc.net/dell-2gb-nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-ddr3-pci-express-2-0-x16-dvi-d-video-graphics-card-mfr-p-n-8mxmj/

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Don't know if this is a purely hardware thing, but it's worth an ask.

Small business, about 20 employees, and the current analog phone system is failing. Would like to go to a VoIP system that supports text/fax/etc. Video conferencing not important. There is a desire to not use a cloud based service like RingCentral due to the per user monthly expense. Is there a particular solution that can be locally hosted (I guess cloud based is fine if it's not a per user fee basis) which could support this scenario?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

bril, thanks again bud! you're far too sweet. spacegrass you need a Dvi D To Vga Adapter - please be careful you specifically need dvi-d i think that matters? you should be able to find it on ebay or whatever for a couple of bucks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
for some reason some part of my brain is telling me that dvi to vga is better than hdmi to vga but i can't justify that, so if someone else knows better please jump in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CoolCab posted:

for some reason some part of my brain is telling me that dvi to vga is better than hdmi to vga but i can't justify that, so if someone else knows better please jump in.

HDMI is just DVI + audio, there's no difference in the video signal.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

FCKGW posted:

Except in the sense that traditional DVI has VGA builtin and only needs cheap passive adapter. And that Dell card CAR CRASH linked seems to have one DVI-I connector with the analog pins.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FCKGW posted:

HDMI 2.1 switched to a packet-based format more similar to DisplayPort, so this is no longer really true for more modern devices.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Thanks again for the video card, but I sold it to a friend and bought a lower profile card that will fit in my case. I'll make up the favor to someone in the future, like I said.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Do wifi adapters really work? This old Dell doesn't have one built in. I have a router. Can anyone recommend one?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1300-Wireless-Supports-10-9-10-14/dp/B07P6N2TZH/

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Thanks

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Any opinions on HP Elitebooks Elitedesks? I wanted a small form factor PC for WFH (yes, starting now, everything is weird in Australia). Most intensive thing I do is look at Google sheets so it should be fine? Won't be playing games.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 5, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Any opinions on HP Elitebooks? I wanted a small form factor PC for WFH (yes, starting now, everything is weird in Australia). Most intensive thing I do is look at Google sheets so it should be fine? Won't be playing games.

I work for HPE so that is my official work issued laptop. I have no strong opinions on it, works fine. I can run chrome, slack, teams, outlook, excel, and putty without issues and that's as taxed as I get it. Runs my two 27" monitors without problems

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Azhais posted:

I work for HPE so that is my official work issued laptop. I have no strong opinions on it, works fine. I can run chrome, slack, teams, outlook, excel, and putty without issues and that's as taxed as I get it. Runs my two 27" monitors without problems

Oops sorry I mean elitedesk. But it's basically a laptop in a tiny PC I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Its probably fine :shrug:

Just make sure it has enough ram (at this point most do) and an SSD.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have one of those I got used on ebay with haswell and it's great; basically a little desktop (although the cpu model and core clock are more like a laptop). I picked up an Intel NUC for for a HTPC replacement instead of another elitedesk mini just due to it being cheaper but the elitedesks are definitely sturdier with a steel case. The only thing I don't love is all the torx screws to get at the drive but that's not really a problem, the nuc was just a little easier to put the SSD into.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Which 4g lte mobile wifi routers would you guys recommend?

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!
Wasn't sure if it would be best to post this in BFC or somewhere in here (or SA Mart) but quasi-hardware question:

I have a shitload of various hardware and PC accessories from my office closing down last year, something like 6-7 HP and Dell 22" or 27" FP monitors, about 20-25 Lenovo laptop batteries/AC adapters, 10 Dell port replicators and laptop batteries, a few Logitech wireless kbm combos, and some other similar odds-and-ends. Most of these are essentially brand new or slightly used but without the boxes.

I'm not looking to get top dollar for them or anything, just a few bucks and get them out of the way sooner rather than later - any suggestions on what would be the best way/place to sell all of this or is Craiglist/Nextdoor the easiest way to sell a bunch of stuff like this?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SA-Mart

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

velocirapstar posted:

Wasn't sure if it would be best to post this in BFC or somewhere in here (or SA Mart) but quasi-hardware question:

I have a shitload of various hardware and PC accessories from my office closing down last year, something like 6-7 HP and Dell 22" or 27" FP monitors, about 20-25 Lenovo laptop batteries/AC adapters, 10 Dell port replicators and laptop batteries, a few Logitech wireless kbm combos, and some other similar odds-and-ends. Most of these are essentially brand new or slightly used but without the boxes.

I'm not looking to get top dollar for them or anything, just a few bucks and get them out of the way sooner rather than later - any suggestions on what would be the best way/place to sell all of this or is Craiglist/Nextdoor the easiest way to sell a bunch of stuff like this?

Shipping costs are going to be your main cost. Goons frequently sell old business stuff on SA-Mart and while monitors go quickly they can be a little pricey to ship. I'd consider selling them to goons if the shipping costs make sense but local will save a lot of that hassle, but add the hassle of having to meet people and show them the thing and not get stabbed.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Does anyone know how to set up windows 7 media player music album art? I looked all over the net, and its not working. i think my media player is version 12.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I messed up and left my LG 27GL83A monitor plugged into an outlet that isnt surge protected and guess what? Lightning hit the transformer outside, huge explosion, black screen. Everything else is fine including my irreplaceable 3080 PC thank god.

The power cord is a pretty hefty brick and when I take my multi meter to it its outputting 3 volts every 3-4 seconds for just a moment before going back to zero. Is there a chance I just killed my power supply?

Im gonna order another surge strip with whatever I have to buy, lesson learned.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hard to say for sure, but a new power supply should be less than $20-- worth a shot to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CloFan posted:

Hard to say for sure, but a new power supply should be less than $20-- worth a shot to replace it.

Yeah Id bet that replacing the power brick would do the trick.

Just order it from Amazon so its an easy return if it doesnt work.