Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Edson has owned for so long it's always bummed me out that he never got to title contention. I'm pretty sure I first saw him way back in like, k1 days. (did he fight in k1? I cant actually remember)

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The Njokuani fight was, and remains, extremely my poo poo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

https://twitter.com/KelvinGastelum/status/1400612733490548742?s=20

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
we just gonna live in may forever?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

LobsterMobster posted:

we just gonna live in may forever?

maybe

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What's wrong wit da May we got??

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

may the 4th be with june

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

I'm dyin

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I rewatched Whittaker/Gastelum and, holy poo poo, that is really is two great fighters, just with one just a bit more great than the other. Kelvin shows why he's incredibly dangerous, and Whittaker shuts down, controls and beats and extremely dangerous fighter. It really was a testament to how good Whittaker is.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Kelvin’s agreed to replace Costa against Cannonier in August. He really doesn’t take any easy fights.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969847

First fight starting right now. Tune in right away for Jordan Leavitt!

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Yesterday's card was very whatever but I encourage you to watch Ponzinibbio/Baeza if you can, it ruled

Pre-layoff Ponzinibbio was one of those guys who was working his way towards a title shot despite clear holes in his game like Matt Brown or Mark Hunt (or Oliveira for that matter) which to me is always more fun to watch than a truly complete fighter. Like Brown he'll probably never get his shot after losing to Li Jingliang but I'm always still excited to watch him

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

reeg posted:

Yesterday's card was very whatever but I encourage you to watch Ponzinibbio/Baeza if you can, it ruled

Pre-layoff Ponzinibbio was one of those guys who was working his way towards a title shot despite clear holes in his game like Matt Brown or Mark Hunt (or Oliveira for that matter) which to me is always more fun to watch than a truly complete fighter. Like Brown he'll probably never get his shot after losing to Li Jingliang but I'm always still excited to watch him

The last thing I remembered him doing was blasting Neil Magny in really impressive fashion. Turns out that more or less was the last thing he did.

Seconding this recommendation. It's a loving great fight. I was already a Ponzinibbio fan but this made my Mexican wife one. So there's now two Argentinians she likes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh it's June isn't it? gently caress...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Oh it's June isn't it? gently caress...

just get the thread title changed to UFC Long May: Oh it's June Isn't it? gently caress...

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
only make a new thread when we get a new champion, imo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
UFC MAY: UFC June thread discussion.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

LobsterMobster posted:

Cool, so we get one new thread when Moreno wins this weekend, and then immediately another new one with Vettori wins half an hour later

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I would be so down for that

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
UFC 263 Embedded 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiwAK6Bu4OI

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

And to go with that, Anatomy of UFC 263 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeK4jS7NZ7U

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Screama posted:

Cool, so we get one new thread when Moreno wins this weekend, and then immediately another new one with Vettori wins half an hour later

what makes you think that either of them will win? I think Moreno has a better chance than Vettori for sure but I just haven't seen anything out of vettori that has me jumping out of my chair.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

what makes you think that either of them will win? I think Moreno has a better chance than Vettori for sure but I just haven't seen anything out of vettori that has me jumping out of my chair.

he's steamin mad, and that counts for a lot

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I don't think either of them will win, I was just joking around with the idea of getting a new thread literally every time we have a new champ. (Which is I think is actually a good idea btw since months don't really mean much to the MMA "season")

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

i swear they're just doing this as easter eggs for me now

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Screama posted:

I don't think either of them will win, I was just joking around with the idea of getting a new thread literally every time we have a new champ. (Which is I think is actually a good idea btw since months don't really mean much to the MMA "season")

I think Moreno has a better chance to win than Vettori, but Vettori winning will be incredibly funny (he won't win, though)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

What I don't understand is how someone with as awful a nickname as "The Assassin Baby" got so good. Whenever I say it outloud (which will be once in the next weekend) i say "The Assassin, baby" and it works alot better.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gon break this down.

Rematches rematches rematches

Main Card (PPV)
Middleweight Championship Israel Adesanya vs Marvin Vettori
I do not remember much of the first fight and I don’t plan to rewatch it, but it’s on the basis that one judge gave the first fight to Vettori that he’s getting his title shot. Really, even if the judge who gave it to Vettori was a nut (Chris Lee, he sucks poo poo at judging), and despite that only two media scores went to Vettori, the first fight was competitive and that’s more than can be said about any of Adesanya’s other opponents before he got to the title picture. Adesanya is an A+ striker with enough wrestling to make it count. His last time out he got beaten up and outworked by light heavyweight champ Jan Blachowicz, Izzy moving up. Vettori is a decent striker (A-boxing maybe?) and has shown decent wrestling too. His last two fights have been against Kevin Holland and Jack Hermansson, and in both of those fights he basically showed that he’s there to fight and that he can outwork his opponent. That gritty toughness is probably Vettori’s top characteristic, and his most likely path to victory is trying to replicate Jan’s game plan: make the champ work, make him wrestle, and concentrate on winning rounds, especially late in the fight.

:frogsiren:Flyweight Championship Deiveson Figueiredo vs Brandon Moreno
Do I need to break this down? Just watch this fight. The first fight was some insane short notice title fight for both men. It was an explosive and amazing barn burner, and the best fight ever at 125 lb in the UFC, ending in a majority draw that immediately demanded a rematch. Go watch it. Deiveson is a dangerous everywhere fighter – powerful strikes and a good guillotine. Moreno is a grappling-based fighter but he has shown good striking as well. Both of these guys are super cool, and who knows how this will look with both of them having a full camp. The x-factor is how Deivison’s psychology will be given that he has had only limited access to his best friend Ferdinand, who he allegedly on the no-fly list and banned from the venue.

Welterweight Leon Edwards vs Nate Diaz
This is a 5-round non-headliner non-title fight. Leon Edwards is the welterweight title-contender in waiting, and he has been for a year. Covid has screwed him over badly resulting in tons of cancelled fights. His last time out he poked Belal Muhammad in the eye so bad that the fight ended and we were worried that Belal might have suffered permanent damage (he didn’t, allegedly). Nate Diaz makes his first appearance since the TKO cuts loss to Masvidal in the BMF belt thing. Do I need to break him down? He’s an antisocial crank with great hands and great jits, but also with glaringly obvious holes in his game. This match seems to exist to give Edwards some name recognition going into a rematch against Usman.

Welterweight Demian Maia vs Belal Muhammad
Maia is one of the greatest grapplers in MMA history, eclipsed in the UFC only by Charles Oliviera. His game plan is typically to work single legs to back takes and RNC them. He has won fights without landing strikes. Muhammad is a rounded fighter who is trying to punch through to the top tier. His last fight was an NC to Leon Edwards (noted above) but before that he was on a 4 fight streak.

Light Heavyweight Paul Craig vs Jamahal Hill
Craig is a Scottish grappler who has been good at pulling some wins out of his rear end over the years. He’s best known for his series with Shogun (that should tell you a lot about Craig’s level) and his 3-4:59 triangle of Ankalaev, who is good. Jamahal Hill is one of the surging and undefeated DWCS products. He knocked OSP silly last time. This is very clearly a gatekeeper fight for Hill.

Prelims ESPN/ESPN+
:siren:Lightweight Drew Dober vs Brad Riddell
Dober is a decent striker but he has a lot of work to do to convince anyone that he’ll ever be a title challenger. Last time out he showed that he is deeply flawed, as Islam Makachev just tossed him around like a toy and choked him out. Dober is good where he’s good, but he needs the right kind of opponent, someone who will be willing to strike with him even though he tends to KO other strikers. Brad Riddell is an Kiwi striker who loves to bang and has been in some fights of the night. What else do you want?

Light Heavyweight Eryk Anders vs Darren Stewart
Is this a rematch too? It is. This was an NC (Illegal knee) on the same one where Leon Edwards removed Wozzname’s cataracts. That fight was at middleweight; this one is at “I don’t feel like cutting” weight. Last time Anders was winning but like a moron KOed Stewart while he was grounded. Anders is a football based guy, and Stewart is a British banger.

Flyweight Lauren Murphy vs Joanne Calderwood
Anything to avoid giving Murphy a title shot. She is now on a 4-fight streak, last time just trouncing some late replacement with big BJJ credentials. Jojo is coming off of a win over Jessica Eye after losing her title shot to Jennifer Maia. Oh Murphy is pretty much a wrestler, whereas Jojo is a clinch-heavy muay thai striker.

:siren:Featherweight Movsar Evloev vs Hakeen Dawodu
This fight owns. Evloev is an undefeated Russian suplex machine. Dawodu is a Canadian striker on a 5 fight streak with some wins against grapplers.

Early Prelims (ESPN+/Fight Pass)
Bantamweight Pannie Kianzad vs Alexis Davis
Kianzad is a Swede who was the runner up on the featherweight TUF season. She has fought in Invicta and stuff too. She punches ok, and is on a streak of mostly forgettable decision wins. Alexis Davis is one of the big veterans of the women’s divisions at this point. She’s a BJJ black belt but she also brawls. She beat Sabina Mazo in February, snapping a 3 fight skid.

Featherweight Chase Hooper vs Steven Peterson
Hooper is mini Askren. He’s a lanky gumbly grapple kid who has scored a head kick KO but got outworked and outclassed by Alex Caceres. His last fight was a heel hook win in December. Peterson is a LFA/DWCS guy who is 2-3 in the UFC, but he scored a back fist KO that I don’t remember seeing back in 2019. Might be a good fight.

Fares Ziam vs Luigi Vendramini
One of my two tapology fights. Oh I remember Ziam. He’s a very young French kickboxer who is reasonably likeable. He won a decision over Jamie Mullarkey which some people disputed. Vendramini is a Brazilian with a 1-1 UFC record: a 2018 loss to Elizu Zaleski and a 71 second KO this past October

:btroll:Carlos Felipe vs Jake Collier
They call Collier Fatboy Fat. He was a tall lanky middleweight who said gently caress it and went up to the heavyweight limit. He brawls and often looks embarrassing. His last fight was a sloppy trash fight win over Gian Villante. Felipe is a Brazilian who weighed like 340 lb at age 14 and now manages to make 265. He is also a loving trashweight. His last fight was a lackluster decision win over Justin Tafa after which he celebrated as if he had won the world cup instead of apologizing to the world for having made us watch it. Trashweights.

:siren:Lighteweight Matt Frevola vs Terrance Mckinney
Mckinney is a late replacement here but he has won some very impressive KOs on LFA. Frevola is a boxing-based striker who I like and who has been in some good fights, especially against Lando Vanatta. I have no idea where on the card this is going to take place, but it’ll be a fireworks fight.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks CommonShore for taking the time to do those breakdowns for cards good or bad

This one looks rad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Orange Carlisle posted:

Thanks CommonShore for taking the time to do those breakdowns for cards good or bad

This one looks rad

No problem! I look up every card beforehand, and if you keep reading them, I'll keep sharing them.

And as always if I made a mistake let me know.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CommonShore posted:

No problem! I look up every card beforehand, and if you keep reading them, I'll keep sharing them.

And as always if I made a mistake let me know.

They're especially awesome for cards where most of the fighters names might as well be drawn out of a hat

Context is always helpful going into fights where you are unfamiliar with both fighters (and you need to choose a winner for goonweight)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Orange Carlisle posted:

They're especially awesome for cards where most of the fighters names might as well be drawn out of a hat

yeah it motivates people like me who don't know poo poo about the current landscape and occasionally persuades me to actually watch a card. keep doing the effort posts as long as you find it enjoyable.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i appreciate the card previews also theyre better than actual mma site ones which are mostly boring and useless

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

CommonShore posted:

:btroll:Carlos Felipe vs Jake Collier
They call Collier Fatboy Fat. He was a tall lanky middleweight who said gently caress it and went up to the heavyweight limit. He brawls and often looks embarrassing. His last fight was a sloppy trash fight win over Gian Villante. Felipe is a Brazilian who weighed like 340 lb at age 14 and now manages to make 265. He is also a loving trashweight. His last fight was a lackluster decision win over Justin Tafa after which he celebrated as if he had won the world cup instead of apologizing to the world for having made us watch it. Trashweights.

Thank you for writing this, made me grin like a loving maniac while reading it.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I, too, appreciate the card previews.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i try to write funny ones for the fighters that I know for my casual friends. when i don't have time or can't be bothered, i steal yours. :)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

crepeface posted:

i try to write funny ones for the fighters that I know for my casual friends. when i don't have time or can't be bothered, i steal yours. :)

i used to do this on my work's intranet and i always had tons of people emailing me saying that i should figure out a way to monetise it. i genuinely think there's a market (somewhere) for chill people who know what they're talking about and can at least attempt humour to give their thoughts on upcoming cards

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's turn the SA front page into an MMA blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i was vaguely thinking i should submit something to the front page but i couldn't think of a topic.

Marching Powder posted:

i used to do this on my work's intranet and i always had tons of people emailing me saying that i should figure out a way to monetise it. i genuinely think there's a market (somewhere) for chill people who know what they're talking about and can at least attempt humour to give their thoughts on upcoming cards

this is like 90% of the reason for jack slack's success