Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Aww, has the "but you have to wait 10 months to get an MRI for your stubbed toe!" argument finally met its successor, the "balls stuck to thigh from the humidity for three months in Texas is better than having a social contract" bon mot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
BAWWWdan Weeperson

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Sentinel posted:

I worked doing IT for a small medical records company a few years back and holy poo poo do you learn this incredibly fast. They're great in their field and know exactly what they are talking about in that particular area of expertise but anything outside of that and good luck theyre just like any other human. We'd tell them "Delete this install icon on you desktop when youre done so you dont accidentally click it and wipe your whole database full of patient information." But naturally none of them ever did and at least once a week one would wipe all their data and of course they hadnt setup their backups like we said so they'd be hosed beyond all reason. Decades of patient information gone in under a second.

Doctors might be stupid, but critical software should be idiot proof and this sounds like a moronic design

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I agree in broad strokes, but I'm not sure I'm quite willing to write off the entire University of Toronto or field of psychology. Some of those folks do actual good work.

kary mullis won the nobel prize in chemistry and spent the last couple decades of his life doing AIDS denialism

sometimes people who are good at one thing end up huffing their farts enough to think that they must be good at all things, and are usually surrounded by sycophants who enable their delusions. the invention of social media might have made it even easier to fall into that hole because they can have thousands of anonymous idiots cheering them on with very little effort

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Charles Ingalls posted:

Doctors might be stupid, but critical software should be idiot proof and this sounds like a moronic design

There’s always a bigger idiot.

Besides, software like this probably breaks just by backing out of a menu or closing a window instead of pressing the Cancel button.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

baw posted:

kary mullis won the nobel prize in chemistry and spent the last couple decades of his life doing AIDS denialism

sometimes people who are good at one thing end up huffing their farts enough to think that they must be good at all things, and are usually surrounded by sycophants who enable their delusions
This is more the norm than the exception. Linus Pauling was probably way smarter than Kary Mullis and spent much of his life pushing quack health therapies. James Watson, co-discoverer of DNA's structure, has a lot of charming ideas about women and race+IQ. And Isaac Newton, high in the running for smartest human being we know of, sadly spent much of his life not working on physics/math but obsessing over alchemy and other stupid poo poo.

Most ideas are crap, and the only way to have good ideas is to have lots of ideas. You then have to be willing and able to let go of all but the good ones. Ego (a natural byproduct of being brilliant) makes that pretty drat hard to do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zugzwang posted:

And Isaac Newton, high in the running for smartest human being we know of, sadly spent much of his life not working on physics/math but obsessing over alchemy and other stupid poo poo.

i don't know why people give Newton poo poo for this. you know what "alchemy" was called in Newtons time? chymistry! the man was doing chemistry, its not his fault that no one in 17th century england knew how it worked or what it could accomplish. read his notes, he was doing chemistry:

https://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/newton/

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm pretty sure they knew turning lead into gold was dumbshit back then

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure they knew turning lead into gold was dumbshit back then

i don't think you understand how far back newton was in terms of science. he died in 1727. the first list of elements was only published in 1789. there were only 36 elements and it included such things as light and clay. keep in mind this was state of the art 70 years after newton died:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trait%C3%A9_%C3%89l%C3%A9mentaire_de_Chimie

quote:

light, caloric, oxygen, azote (nitrogen), hydrogen, sulphur, phosphorous (phosphorus), charcoal, muriatic radical (chloride), fluoric radical (fluoride), boracic radical, antimony, arsenic, bismuth, cobalt, copper, gold, iron, lead, manganese, mercury, molybdena (molybdenite), nickel, platina (platinum), silver, tin, tungstein (tungsten), zinc, lime, magnesia (magnesium), barytes (baryte), argill (clay or earth of alum), and silex

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Many of Newton’s problems can be traced to the year he spent eating mercury and taking notes on the effects he felt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yes but there's a difference between chemists of the day who boiling a piece of iron in water mixed with saltpeter to see what happens and magically transforming lead into gold. I swear that he was considered foolish for pursuing transmutation even by his peers. But I'm also stupid as poo poo and might have dreamed that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The impression I get is alchemists managed to gradually, mostly accidentally invent real science while trying to do magic, simply because they actually took notes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there was also a spiritual and mystical aspect of alchemy that was not about literally physically "turning lead into gold" tho i dont know to what extent newson personally was into that

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 5, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Yes but there's a difference between chemists of the day who boiling a piece of iron in water mixed with saltpeter to see what happens and magically transforming lead into gold. I swear that he was considered foolish for pursuing transmutation even by his peers. But I'm also stupid as poo poo and might have dreamed that.

they absolutely didn't consider him foolish. alchemy was illegal in england since 1404 because the monarchy feared that a formula for turning lead into gold would allow someone to ruin the economy or raise an army against them.

newton was doing the 17th century of Breaking Bad

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I don’t think that analogy works but I still appreciate the thought of Newton telling Robert Hooke to “Now, say my name.”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

1redflag posted:

I don’t think that analogy works but I still appreciate the thought of Newton telling Robert Hooke to “Now, say my name.”

A man should once open his door, and whereupon be shot dead, and you think that of me? Nay; it is I who knocks.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I wouldn't say that Newton being into alchemy is terribly good analogy. Newton was into a lot of stuff that would be considered odd stuff by modern standards. Like, his main body of work, which is entirely ignored and forgotten about today was in biblical prophecy. But that all makes sense you also realise that Newton was a natural philosopher and not a scientist, as such a formalised profession as we know it today did not exist. Although Newtons own brand of natural philosophy involved attempting to explain cause in nature by way of experimentation and mathematical reasoning as means of unraveling gods own design. Seems a lot like science, but this doesn't quite have the same rigor as modern scientific methodology.

Now Newton having a literal nervous breakdown after having a few pleasant conversations with a woman and being convinced that said conversations were a ploy to corrupt him by a colleague and also him using his academic and political clout to try and erase the legacy of his academic rivals is a bit more like it.

Plus back on point, there are several living Nobel laureates in various fields who tout all kinds of crackpot ideas, up to and including eugenics talking points. I'm personally not a fan of the Nobel prize because frankly all it really says is that the Swedish governments appointed committee, and all the biases that that entails, thought your research was good enough for a cash prize. Which flies in the face of scientific truth ultimately being pulled from a consensus, i.e. many people over many years testing and challenging the idea. So it's not even necessarily good science but dumb luck that gets you the prize really.

Bringing it back to Newton, I'd say the reason a lot of what makes Newton famous today largely comes from the fact that drat near everything was named after him in his honor over the years by countless other scientists, which kind of makes a lot of his work more refined than it actually was.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Wasn't newton also hella into numerology n poo poo. Could be apocryphal but i heard the reason indigo is a separate color from blue and violet is cuz he was desperately trying to make the light spectrum 7 colors for reasons.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

quote is not edit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m telling you, it’s the year he spent eating mercury.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Newton did manage real alchemy tho, when he turned my cock from soft lead into rock hard iridium, unfortunately all his scientific efforts were destroyed when Jortan Peterzarn transmuted my cock to that of cesium, undoing Newton's applied natural philosophy and making alchemy a lost art.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

SpudCat posted:

Wasn't newton also hella into numerology n poo poo. Could be apocryphal but i heard the reason indigo is a separate color from blue and violet is cuz he was desperately trying to make the light spectrum 7 colors for reasons.

His main jam, the thing he was most proud of more than anything else, was his work on biblical prophecy, so yeah probably.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i'm not going to defend biblical divination thats just nutty. but alchemy rules

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
anyway, Jordan Peterson is picking up steam. he posts a lot these days, but does anyone care?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY9X6a-xxFo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Men beating their wives until death sets in by a statistically signifigant margin but women are chaos because they constantly take you to task for being an annoying piece of poo poo instead of silently tolerating it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I saw that jorp somehow convinced Stephen Fry to have a 1.5 hour debate with him but I just kinda sighed thinking about watching that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
lol is his explanation really that women nag men?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not gonna watch that, but I'm assuming it boils down to "I don't understand women, which makes them chaotic, whereas a lot of men act like I do, making them ordered."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Who What Now posted:

lol is his explanation really that women nag men?

The premise for that has always been stereotypes about women being flighty, emotional, and having periods despite generally having been proven to vacillate emotionally less on a daily basis than the average man who have some form of mini-rage out daily.

Which of course is totally normal because aggression and anger are admirable manly traits.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The premise for that has always been stereotypes about women being flighty, emotional, and having periods despite generally having been proven to vacillate emotionally less on a daily basis than the average man who have some form of mini-rage out daily.

Which of course is totally normal because aggression and anger are admirable manly traits.

Hey man, I was told we were supposed to rage against the dying of the light. So I rage out whenever the sun starts to set. Or when I close my car door and the little ceiling light goes off. Lots of stuff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Nobel Prize for Economics isn't actually a proper Nobel iirc and was added basically to give credit to a fake science that's just cheerleading for billionaires

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Charles Ingalls posted:

Yeah, one of the most basic rules of UI design is that the default option should always be the safest option, and if taking the default option leads to disaster you’re doing it wrong.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
forgive me if this is extremely obvious but i've never heard anyone else say this

jordan's apple cider freakout was almost certainly his first encounter with benzo withdrawal
he had a sudden 'impending feeling of doom' and could barely sleep for a month? yeah, he was definitely on the sauce before he's ready to admit
it's either a paula abdul plane crash style rationalization, or just a coincidence and he actually thought that drinking an apple cider 3 days after quitting xanax almost made him die :chillpill:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mac and Cheese posted:

forgive me if this is extremely obvious but i've never heard anyone else say this

jordan's apple cider freakout was almost certainly his first encounter with benzo withdrawal
he had a sudden 'impending feeling of doom' and could barely sleep for a month? yeah, he was definitely on the sauce before he's ready to admit
it's either a paula abdul plane crash style rationalization, or just a coincidence and he actually thought that drinking an apple cider 3 days after quitting xanax almost made him die :chillpill:

This is a really funny point that is probably correct. Is there more info anywhere about Paula Abdul’s plane crash rationalization? I’ve found a few articles that dig into it, but the situation feels really underreported.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mac and Cheese posted:

yes he also displayed mood swings and would burst into tears fairly regularly in public, all of this was well before his wife's alleged cancer diagnosis, which he and his daughter claim was the start of his benzo use. I think it was going on a lot longer than that

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Nobel Prize for Economics isn't actually a proper Nobel iirc and was added basically to give credit to a fake science that's just cheerleading for billionaires

Wasn't it tacked on to the other prizes in 1967 as a way to show how dumb communism is and how hard capitalism rocks -- by proof that capitalist economists somehow win the award every time?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Wasn't it tacked on to the other prizes in 1967 as a way to show how dumb communism is and how hard capitalism rocks -- by proof that capitalist economists somehow win the award every time?

It was never "tacked on" to the other prizes because it has absolutely nothing to do with real Nobel prizes. The "Nobel prize" for economy is just a reach-around invented by neoclassical economists to make other economists feel like the astrology-adjacent bullshit they believe in is just as important to humanity's progress as actual sciences or literature and working towards world peace. The actual Nobel committee regularly makes it known that the prize in Economics has nothing to do with them and they wish they would stop trying to use Nobel's name to give credibility to their pseudoscience.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

barbecue at the folks posted:

It was never "tacked on" to the other prizes because it has absolutely nothing to do with real Nobel prizes. The "Nobel prize" for economy is just a reach-around invented by neoclassical economists to make other economists feel like the astrology-adjacent bullshit they believe in is just as important to humanity's progress as actual sciences or literature and working towards world peace. The actual Nobel committee regularly makes it known that the prize in Economics has nothing to do with them and they wish they would stop trying to use Nobel's name to give credibility to their pseudoscience.

according to wikipedia its all part of the same organization, but the nobel prize in economics was created when a central bank bribed the committee to create it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Memorial_Prize_in_Economic_Sciences

quote:

The Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, officially the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, is an economics prize administered by the Nobel Foundation. While it is not one of the Nobel Prizes, which were established by Alfred Nobel's will in 1895, it is commonly referred to as the Nobel Prize in Economics. The prize was established in 1968 by a donation from Sweden's central bank Sveriges Riksbank to the Nobel Foundation to commemorate the bank's 300th anniversary. It is administered and referred to along with the Nobel Prizes by the Nobel Foundation. Laureates are announced with the Nobel Prize laureates, and receive the award at the same ceremony

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, any news concerning our favorite ill-prepared, ill-read, misogyny-laden psychologist hack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

So, any news concerning our favorite ill-prepared, ill-read, misogyny-laden psychologist hack?

chew on this juicy morsel posted yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D23b36Kf4S0