Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Great sword is fun just for the big numbers. I tried dual blades and while there were a lot of numbers and you could actually move with your weapon out, they weren't very big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

i unlock video games using a huge key with my wife

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Skyrim: still real real goddamn good, y'all.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
c disco elysium s:

the dream. ooooooof

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bump_fn posted:

c disco elysium s:

the dream. ooooooof

welcome

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
just started playing hades like six months after the hype died down and it is fun af. i think this might surpass transistor as my fave

also Megara can loving get. it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I should probably play disvovekysium some day

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm happy to be back playing mass effect again and i don't care what anyone says

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

is the remaster out now?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i played silent hill 1 before but never any of the others, so im playing silent hill 2 for the first time

im playing the pc version with all the fixes so it actually runs properly

anyway SH2 seems cool i guess. i mean like im kinda into it but it hasnt totally grabbed me yet, not sure why cause it seems like the type of thing i'd love but so far i guess it hasn't completely clicked yet

i might have to go back and play silent hill 1 again tho cause it's been years since i played it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i played silent hill 1 before but never any of the others, so im playing silent hill 2 for the first time

im playing the pc version with all the fixes so it actually runs properly

anyway SH2 seems cool i guess. i mean like im kinda into it but it hasnt totally grabbed me yet, not sure why cause it seems like the type of thing i'd love but so far i guess it hasn't completely clicked yet

i might have to go back and play silent hill 1 again tho cause it's been years since i played it.

silent hill 2 is amazing, but doesn't hold up. it invented a lot of common things in horror games, so it seems trite now

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I played the xbox version, and while I was playing a jacket fell off the hook down the hall and made a freaky noise. it was super atmospheric lol

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

holy poo poo the prices for silent hill games on ebay

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

silent hill 2 is amazing, but doesn't hold up. it invented a lot of common things in horror games, so it seems trite now

that might be part of it. i've played so many resident evil games some of the puzzles in this i'm like "whatever its one of these things again"

one thing that i keep noticing is the camera flipping around all over the place at times which can be disorienting

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i remember playing silent hill 2 in the months right after 9/11 and the sense of dread permeating absolutely everything made it unbearably haunting

it’s so completely tied to that time and place i don’t think i could revisit it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Truman Peyote posted:

very simple, quite brief, and no replay value

stop posting about your sex life

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
silent hill 1 still has the insane nightmare sound design keeping it fresh

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
SH1 has a fairly dumb story about cults and reviving an old god etc etc and SH2 manages to take all that dread and horror from that and turn it into one of the best personal-scale stories ever told in a video game. It'll forever be a highwater mark in video game storytelling and atmosphere for me because of how it pulled that off at a time when most video game stories were still "man shoot alien with scantily clad big tiddy woman sidekick"

But yeah, it's clunky as gently caress.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I have a very nice condition sh1 that I was playing through with my spouse and my ps2 slim decided that was the time to start having some laser issues and now there's a giant gouged ring about a quarter inch in width around the center of the disc and it wont load. so I HAD an excellent copy and now it won't load the next area after beating the nightmare school boss.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ps1 and ps2 emulators seem p high quality in my brief experience

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I grabbed Frostpunk on LE EPIC GAMES freebee and I'm looking forward to playing it. Gonna freeze me the gently caress some loving settlers.

:hellyeah:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

bump_fn posted:

ps1 and ps2 emulators seem p high quality in my brief experience

I'm a weirdo and I gotta play on a crt with original hardware. I am working on modding all my systems to play ROMs or isos so I don't ruin my nice disks. only did Dreamcast so far but soldering isn't as hard as I thought it'd be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shoeberto posted:

SH1 has a fairly dumb story about cults and reviving an old god etc etc and SH2 manages to take all that dread and horror from that and turn it into one of the best personal-scale stories ever told in a video game. It'll forever be a highwater mark in video game storytelling and atmosphere for me because of how it pulled that off at a time when most video game stories were still "man shoot alien with scantily clad big tiddy woman sidekick"

But yeah, it's clunky as gently caress.

yeah it's this. the silent hill cult story has never interested me so I never played any of the others. but 2 doesn't have any of that. just a place that lures broken people into their personal hells so it can keep giving them rope to hang themselves repeatedly

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i went into SH1 blind. my friend just handed me a copy of this game i'd never heard of and said "play this, it's good". the WTF moment as you go through the clock tower and the visceral sense of building dread throughout is one of my favourite gaming experiences. And SH2 somehow managed to be even better. I even liked 3.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i beat disco elysium last night. good game, held up even through all of the ridiculous hype around it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

never tried a souls game, might give one a shot. what’s the best one to play first? i have a ps4 but would prefer to play on pc, so maybe not bloodborne even if it’s the best one

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jesus WEP posted:

never tried a souls game, might give one a shot. what’s the best one to play first? i have a ps4 but would prefer to play on pc, so maybe not bloodborne even if it’s the best one

dark souls 1 hd remaster for pc

then 2 then 3

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bump_fn posted:

then 2 then 3

praise the sun

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
maybe i’ll reinstall ds1hd since i just beat disco

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

jesus WEP posted:

Give Dark Souls 3 a try if you want a smoother, more polished souls experience. Dark Souls 1 if you want the rawness; you'll see what all the hub-bub is about but there's a wall you have to climb. Don't start with Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne or Sekiro - they're their own games and distinct enough to not be the starting point.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

bump_fn posted:

then 2 then 3

I really liked DS2 the most out of the series. I have been playing the Demon's Souls remaster on PS5 and it is incredibly punishing. Almost ready to hop into NG+ for the first time and I hear that is a complete terror zone.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
demons souls held up when i dug out my ps3 to replay it fiveish years ago (between blood borne and ds3)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

playing unrailed today.

trains trains trains

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I should get back to disco Elysium, I'm stuck in a part where I think im soft locked and need to edit my stats :(

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

jesus WEP posted:

Dark Souls 1 has the best world. DS3 plays smooth as butter but the first one is the whole package. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, it's pretty magical.

I never played 2 but everyone seems to say it's good but weird?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Sweevo posted:

i went into SH1 blind. my friend just handed me a copy of this game i'd never heard of and said "play this, it's good". the WTF moment as you go through the clock tower and the visceral sense of building dread throughout is one of my favourite gaming experiences. And SH2 somehow managed to be even better. I even liked 3.

Yeah I can't really fault the gameplay or ambience of SH1. I was always a bit disappointed that the story was kinda silly. But the tech and direction are unreal. The PS1 jank actually enhances it.

Really bummed there hasn't been any sort of successor. Plenty of horror games but nothing comes to mind that uses that same sort of otherworldly dread.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
dark souls 2 controls so differently it feels like a different game

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The "James" in the thread title is supposed to be pronounced "Hy-mees", right?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

the j is silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

shoeberto posted:

Dark Souls 1 has the best world. DS3 plays smooth as butter but the first one is the whole package. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, it's pretty magical.

I never played 2 but everyone seems to say it's good but weird?

it feels weird because the original director for 1 wasn't involved so all the elements for a souls game are there but it feels 'off'