Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Risk of Rain 2 is a revelation.

I would recommend start at Drizzle difficulty if you're starting out in VR because it takes a bit of acclimation versus the 2D game. If you are familiar with the maps then normal is fun.

Playing with the 2X spawns modifier and having to keep on your toes all around you is incredibly fun.

Play the Bandit. One of his moves has him flip the pistol in his hands and immediately fire off a powerful shot, resetting his cooldowns. The sound, animation, and how reactive every event is in this game once you're rolling in items is sublime. When you fire a shot that arcs out lightning to 10 guys, while the proc also has lava shoot out of the ground beneath their feet as they explode in a fireball on death, which starts another chain reaction, woof

Also play with the extra characters mod. Some of the variants added are terrifying and one or two are maaaybe a bit cheap, but they have such incredible warning sounds that you'll figure out that you should be hiding in no time.

Yeah! Risk of rain 2 is my favourite VR game at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone wants to sign up for the beta of Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall, there's a link to their Discord on the Steam store page where you can give them a few quick details and request a place. Signup closes 10th June, closed beta is two weeks total.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

forest spirit posted:

Risk of Rain 2 is a revelation.

Gonna have to try this. I love RoR2 but it's hard to imagine it playing well in VR, but impressions have been pretty unanimously echoing yours.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I just moved to a new place, and would like to avoid drilling holes into the wall if possible for my Vive sensor boxes. Anyone have any good recommendations for mini tripods to use for them? I've got some bookshelves in key places to put the sensors on, just need two tripods for them.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

explosivo posted:

Gonna have to try this. I love RoR2 but it's hard to imagine it playing well in VR, but impressions have been pretty unanimously echoing yours.

Said the same thing
Was blown away.

Menus are a bit scuffed, and get the controller config from steam.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

yeah I'll keep posting about it because it needs to be amplified. Wish the save mod worked in VR tho

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I wish other mods were VR compatible tho. Vr Enforcer or Sniper would rule.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kikas posted:

I wish other mods were VR compatible tho. Vr Enforcer or Sniper would rule.

Edit: I know they work but your hands are invisible when playing and that's no fun.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Alright, I think I'm ready to jump into VR, now that I'm not working from home, and thus my personal PC space has widened.

I'm mainly interested in playing games on Steam. I don't mind if it's wired. Is it as simple as going to my nearest electronics store, buying an Oculus Quest 2 (and maybe, apparently a USB-A to USB-C adapter?), and following a guide like this? Or is there more to it and I should do research before impulse buying?

Dogthing
May 30, 2003

or is it.... just a dog??
Grimey Drawer

Grei Skuring posted:

It's more or less CS in VR, with weapon controls I have no issues with (perhaps some grenade troubles at most). I love playing it with a few friends, and the most fun I've had in VR was with 3v3 matches.
You can dual wield any weapon, which opens up the sort of wonky tactics I would want in that kind of game.

i got a kill the other day by sticking my AK around a corner and spraying down the guy i knew was hiding there. put a real big grin on my face, its exactly the kind of thing i bought into VR for.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morter posted:

Alright, I think I'm ready to jump into VR, now that I'm not working from home, and thus my personal PC space has widened.

I'm mainly interested in playing games on Steam. I don't mind if it's wired. Is it as simple as going to my nearest electronics store, buying an Oculus Quest 2 (and maybe, apparently a USB-A to USB-C adapter?), and following a guide like this? Or is there more to it and I should do research before impulse buying?

I have my oculus quest 2 connected to my computer via Air Link and Virtual Desktop and it works well. I can't play many games because my computer is a potato, but it is pretty simple to set up

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Morter posted:

I am not gonna follow the link but looking at the URL it is 200% legit, but ignore that and follow these steps: buy the cheapest quest you can, and instead of buying a usb cable just buy a cheap wifi 6 router. Then buy Virtual Desktop and now you can play steam games wirelessly. The end

fake edit: I haven't futzed around with air link much, and when I did it was finicky. I did not like the oculus home environment/dashboard, felt like too much Star Trek 2009 poo poo in my face. I prefer the steam VR environment honestly. Unless there are some quirks I haven't discovered that make it better?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Morter posted:

There really isn't, just make sure you get a decent cable and it'll work like a regular wired PC headset but remember even if you're only going to use it wired you will still need the Facebook account to do the initial Quest 2 setup.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Morter posted:

If you don't have an active, long-standing Facebook account set one up and give it a couple of weeks to see whether they ban it for no reason. I wish this wasn't a thing you have to do, but it is.

Or if you have money to burn buy a higher-end headset like the Valve Index. It's not three times better, but it is somewhat better and you won't be tied to Facebook's ecosystem.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I sadly do have an FB account so that won't be a big deal.

Alright I'll see how airlink stuff works!

Is it really worth getting a whole other router for this? I have a wifi 5G that i'll have less than 2 meters from where I'm playing (It's literally right behind my PC)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Morter posted:

Is it really worth getting a whole other router for this? I have a wifi 5G that i'll have less than 2 meters from where I'm playing (It's literally right behind my PC)

Try it without first. Networks vary a lot; it certainly can make a big difference depending on what else is using the network but for a lot of people it won't be necessary.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Morter posted:

You have the best setup to try with one router, but one reason people get another is to isolate the wifi to just the quest. If a fair amount of devices are connected to your single router, you can get lots of spikes as the quest waits it’s turn to transmit and receive. VR is a bit unique in that the latency of packets is king, since any modern router can do the speeds needed. Most devices just care about bandwidth and a few dozen extra milliseconds doesn’t matter.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Virtual desktop is 20 bucks and is basically magic. Just use that and don't spend the money on a link cable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you use a cable, use a velcro strap to hold it in place, as I did manage to ruin a cable through a combination of cable weight and fast head turning.

Otherwise, that guide is perfect. Give AirLink a go, as games like Alyx are so good and immersive when you can spin around and don't need to use any kind of controller turning.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I figured out that the kiwi 12 foot link cable, plugged into the official quest 2 charger can keep me topped on battery forever.

The directions say not to charge while in use, but 2 hours ain't long enough.

Wifi 6 and airlink works great for me.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Elendil004 posted:

Virtual desktop is 20 bucks and is basically magic. Just use that and don't spend the money on a link cable.

I have a 5g router with no other devices on it and I found the occasional performance drops to be unacceptable with both Airlink and Virtual Desktop when I was playing Payday 2. If you're just going to play something like VR chat where you can live with 20 seconds or so of your headset catching up to the game then sure, not having a link cable may be an option.

I may just have a poo poo tier router though, it was provided by spectrum and I'm surprised I was able to switch it to a 5g band at all.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Diephoon posted:

I have a 5g router with no other devices on it and I found the occasional performance drops to be unacceptable with both Airlink and Virtual Desktop when I was playing Payday 2. If you're just going to play something like VR chat where you can live with 20 seconds or so of your headset catching up to the game then sure, not having a link cable may be an option.

I may just have a poo poo tier router though, it was provided by spectrum and I'm surprised I was able to switch it to a 5g band at all.

Thinking it's the latter. Nobody would be singing praises if there was 20 seconds of lag. I've been playing Payday 2 a lot and my whole team is playing VR over Virtual Desktop or Airlink. You'll absolutely want a better router than what your ISP gives you, I have a very basic TPLink Archer and it's nearly flawless.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Diephoon posted:

Yep. ISP routers are always pure poo poo. I'm sorry, but in order for you to gain acceptance with this thread, you gotta buy a $100 dedicated WiFi 6 router just for your Quest 2. There is no other acceptable alternative.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Nalin posted:

Yep. ISP routers are always pure poo poo. I'm sorry, but in order for you to gain acceptance with this thread, you gotta buy a $100 dedicated WiFi 6 router just for your Quest 2. There is no other acceptable alternative.
Ok :sweatdrop:

Well, while i wait to get it delivered, I'll set up my newly gotten OQ2, and die at superhot

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

explosivo posted:

Thinking it's the latter. Nobody would be singing praises if there was 20 seconds of lag. I've been playing Payday 2 a lot and my whole team is playing VR over Virtual Desktop or Airlink. You'll absolutely want a better router than what your ISP gives you, I have a very basic TPLink Archer and it's nearly flawless.

I'm not saying it's constantly behind by 20 seconds, just once in a while it will lag, but that one laggy moment is excruciating in a game like payday.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

In the UK, as much as Virgin sucks, I'll credit their stock router with having basically just worked for VR with no headaches whatsoever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Trying non-native VR games sometimes saddens me. I just tried GRIP in VR mode, and I couldn't get stable 90 fps even with everything a low detail/turned off. I had to decrease the resolution in 15% to get it.
Then again it's a thoroughly mediocre game.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Nalin posted:

I'm looking at this from the perspective of having paid ~400$ for the vive wireless adapter, if the homie wants to use a 10ft cable that's all good. But 100$ for what I would essentially consider the quest wireless adapter makes it pretty compelling

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Morter posted:

Ok :sweatdrop:

Well, while i wait to get it delivered, I'll set up my newly gotten OQ2, and die at superhot

While a dedicated WiFi 6 router is definitely the best way to go (especially if you’re like me and your neighbors all have like 3 APs each locked in an arms race for supremacy through paper thin walls), you can also try putting the Quest on the 5ghz channel of your current router by itself.

Some people use the built in Windows 10 hotspot as a bootleg dedicated AP for wireless VR but, from what I hear, you have to always first connect to it with another device like a smartphone or the Quest won’t connect. :psyduck:

Biggest thing is to make sure your PC is wired into your router.

Edit: vvv yeah I have no idea how/if it’s a problem, I’ve just casually noticed people talking about this in a variety of places and times. I’m actually curious to try it myself now.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 7, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Leathal posted:

Some people use the built in Windows 10 hotspot as a bootleg dedicated AP for wireless VR but, from what I hear, you have to always first connect to it with another device like a smartphone or the Quest won’t connect. :psyduck:

Biggest thing is to make sure your PC is wired into your router.

I use Windows 10 hotspot with a cheapy ~$25 Wifi 6 card and it works perfectly. I don't have to connect to it with my phone or anything.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Tip posted:

I use Windows 10 hotspot with a cheapy ~$25 Wifi 6 card and it works perfectly. I don't have to connect to it with my phone or anything.

Nalin posted:

so I didn't know it before that post but it seems like the best solution is the same price as a decent usb-c cable :shrug:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just went and checked, the one I got was the Cudy AX3000 you can get here:
https://www.amazon.com/Cudy-WE3000S-Wireless-Bluetooth-2402Mbps/dp/B085R9R2B2

I'm not directly recommending this specific card though because I have done zero research, a friend just gave me the card and I've had good luck with it. There may be a better option in the same price range or some reason to not buy from "Cudy", a company I've never heard of previously.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

VD and AirLink work for me 80% of the time, but having a cable for the times when it’s inexplicably stuttery I would consider more important than spending $20 on an app that’s going to be obsoleted by the firmware eventually.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It's too late. if you've bough a vr headset you have already crossed the rubicon. if you're not even willing to spend 150 dollars on a PoE switch and an AP god will not look kindly upon you.

Leathal posted:

While a dedicated WiFi 6 router is definitely the best way to go (especially if you’re like me and your neighbors all have like 3 APs each locked in an arms race for supremacy through paper thin walls),

lol goddamn

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

forest spirit posted:

so I didn't know it before that post but it seems like the best solution is the same price as a decent usb-c cable :shrug:

You don't need a Monster branded cable for your VR. A 4 meter (13 feet) USB 3.0 cable is only $17 or so off Amazon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Morter posted:

Try what you have first, but a dedicated router isn't horrible. I have this and it works fantastic and didn't break the bank. Just don't make the same mistake I did and accidentally buy the refurbished one. My refurbished unit lasted a week and then poo poo the bed. My new one has been trucking along for months now

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Nalin posted:

You don't need a Monster branded cable for your VR. A 4 meter (13 feet) USB 3.0 cable is only $17 or so off Amazon.

Yeah so about 25$ canadian, about what I would pay for a decent cable. Monster cables are way more overpriced. I'm thinking of Anker really, because I've bought their battery packs before. And this local best buy one, but it's only USB 2.0

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
honestly just forget about using the link cable and use virtual desktop wirelessly. If there is some game that you have to play that is incompatible with virtual desktop( pretty unlikely) you can pick up a long usb c cable in a pinch. I have extreme regrets about throwing down $45+ for my super long usb c cable which just takes up space and won't even charge my headset that fast. 1' cable is getting way more use

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

forest spirit posted:

Yeah so about 25$ canadian, about what I would pay for a decent cable. Monster cables are way more overpriced. I'm thinking of Anker really, because I've bought their battery packs before. And this local best buy one, but it's only USB 2.0

I use an Anker cable, it works great but yeah I’d recommend grabbing a USB 3.0 one if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Wtf how have I not heard of Risk of Rain until now. That VR mod’s trailer looks like what I thought Borderlands 2 VR was going to be. Can’t wait to play this, thanks for the recommend.

Imagine an endless list of FACTORYSSID_$ where $ is EXT1, EXT2, and the main AP. And each one is broadcasting twice for 2.4/5g.

I live in basically Intel factory housing so literally every house also has at least a few IoT devices puking all over the place to boot. Wifi 6 has been a loving godsend for me.